No announcement yet.

Mommymd's LCHF journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another good primal day! Went for a 60 min massage-the therapist was wearing vibrams, so we chatted about paleo, I told him about MDA, we talked about neuroplasticity and n=1. Tonight my new (temporary) yoga instructor came and took me through a 60 min practice.

Breakfast 4 sliced strawberries, creme fraiche, and a hard boiled egg
    Morning snack 2 hard boiled eggs
    Lunch spinach salad with bison and red peppers, macadamia nut oil and basalmic dressing-I have a salad container with a ice pack insert-at lunch the macadamia oil was mostly solid.
    Afternoon snack-macadamia nuts---I was very hungry on my way to the massage place and originally thought I would get a starbuck's, but then remembered snacks from the bulk section at the health shoppe would be a better idea
    Dinner leftover pork curry, brusselsprouts and cauliflower

Tomorrow is a weigh in day and a workout with my trainer day.

Last night I got less than 7 hrs sleep. Woke up at 5:20 for no reason. Didn't take Mg/melatonin last night. Guess I should again.

Supplemented with fish oil and vit D

mommymd
    --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Comment

Smiling from ear to ear

I weighed today, 4 lbs down from Sunday! Then I worked out with my trainer outside because it was 14 degrees, bright blue sky. Went for tea with a friend, and we made a pact to support each other with our kids' ridiculous homework. Was in an awesome mood. Smiling like a fool, walking down the street, listening to my ipod.

Food-1.5 strips of bacon, 2 eggs cooked in bacon fat and butter, fried tomato slices and sauteed spinach, small glass milk
      Full fat with coffee cream latte
      slow cooker crustless ham and cheese quiche and salad
      greek salad
      rib eye steak cooked in ghee

My DH who is also eating this way had his lipids done yesterday. His doctor called today because his LDL is up, but so is his HDL and his TG's are down. She did tell him that as he gets older, he will have to get his LDL down. Ha Ha!

A colleague of mine is reading "the art and science of low carb living" on my suggestion. He says he has 15 lbs to lose. I told him it's a little like pandora's box, because knowing what I know now, CW is hard to suffer. He has to actually order diets on patients. This could be interesting.

edit:ate a few pistachios while watching a movie

mommymd
      Last edited by mommymd; 03-09-2012, 06:54 PM. Reason: additional food
      --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Comment

Hi!
        Another slow loser here. I've really enjoyed reading your journals and seeing what you are doing. Looks like things are going well for you!
        Female, 5'7"

Primal SW: 74.4 kg
        CW: 73.4 (3/12/12)
        GW: 61 kg
        BF: 35%

Comment

Hi ferrygirl, thanks for checking in. It's not a race to get lighter, but a goal to get healthier, right?

I've missed a yesterday's tracking. I missed because I went to bed early and got a full 8+ hours of sleep, like I'm doing tonight. Tomorrow night is a call night, so I don't know how much sleep I will get, if any.

Yesterday I had leftover pork curry for breakfast, left over slowcooker crustless quiche and veggies for lunch, then fish and broccoli for dinner. I also had 2 pieces of dark 85% lindt chocolate at some point.

Today I woke up at the usual 6 am, but could be 30 mins later to work, so I sprinted in the historic green space (old cemetery) behind my house. There is a faint track, estimated 300 m, which I jogged as my warm up, then there is a gentle hill that I sprinted up and walked down 5 times. I felt great! It was about 0 degrees, and I could hear a little wheeze from my chest, but overall it was exhilarating.

Breakfast was a chunk of cheese (weighed it out of interest 30g) and a dried fig. My god, they are sweet. I gave them to my kids for a snack the other day, and they said "Hey, this tastes just like a fig newton"
          Lunch1 was 10%greek yogurt, frozen blueberries and macadamia nuts
          Lunch 2 was pork stirfry that I made following the instructions on a post from MDA. It had onions, garlic, ginger, broccoli, zucchini, mushrooms, kale and pork, cooked in coconut oil with a sauce made of sherry, wheat free tamari, cashew butter and water. Delicious!
          Snack salami and kimchi-the kimchi was a gift from my trainer-her friend made it from scratch. Tastes very real
          Dinner mother in law carbohydrate soup-sweet potato/butternut squash/acorn squash/chicken broth/cinnamon/nutmeg soup---not something I would have made for myself. Only had half the served dish. father in law bbq ribs--suspect that there was actually flour on them, though he didn't admit to it. Big ass salad with avocado and goat cheese/avocado and redwine vinegar dressing. 1/2 glass of red wine
          Supplemented with fish oil and vitD

Bottom line is I ate too much today!!!! breakfast and lunch1's quantities were similar to a usual breakfast size, but then I was very hungry for lunch2 and snack. Maybe it was the sprinting? The quantity I had at dinner was way too much. At least I didn't have any dessert.

I found out that I have Monday off, so I've asked my trainer for an extra session. I'm missing my usual session on Sunday, post call, so it's fortuitous.

Looking back on the last week, I feel I did very well. Lots of exercise, good food choices and quantities (except today)

mommymd
          --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Comment

On call post:

Today I grazed. Got up and nibbled on a left over rib eye steak while I made a pack of bacon. Had 2 pieces while making the rest of breakfast and an extra piece and 2 eggs for breakfast, small glass of 2% milk. Tea with cream, and a swig of cream from the carton. Boys went to karate and I cut out a pattern for knickers and washed the material. Napped for 2 hours, then got up, had "lunch" tin of tuna with "mayo"--soy oil based-gag- but that's what we had. Finished the rib eye. Grande decaf whole milk with coffee cream and cinnamon latte on the subway to work. Just finished my dinner of pork stir fry leftovers.

No cases on the board tonight, but it's Saturday, and something is sure to come in. At least it's daylight savings time and I have 1 fewer hours to work.

edit: I have found myself admiring my definition in my arms recently. Also, my neck fat is definitely slimming down.
            mommymd
            Last edited by mommymd; 03-10-2012, 07:11 PM.
            --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Comment

Hi! Sounds like things are going well for you! I'm very curious...how do you make the slow cooker crustless quiche? Sounds delicious.
              Female, 5'7"

Primal SW: 74.4 kg
              CW: 73.4 (3/12/12)
              GW: 61 kg
              BF: 35%

Comment

Slow cooker crustless quiche? My husband made it actually. I will find the recipe and post soon. It comes from a book that adapts french cuisine for the slow cooker, and then we further adapt it for LCHF.

I had a great weekend and start to the week. Went skating with the family yesterday and then played "baseball" outside with the kidlets. Today I worked out with my trainer. I weighed my lowest yet today. Yay. 16 lbs lost, and 9 more pounds and I'm out of the overweight category. My upper back is getting nicely toned according to my trainer.

Went for my bloodtests today. I tried to add a VAP and betahydroxybuterate to the labs, but the local lab can't test for them. I did sneak in creatinine and b12.

Yesterday because of call my eating schedule was weird. Breakfast was after my 1st nap at 12 o'clock and it was 2 eggs cooked in butter with melted cheese and sauteed spinach. Dinner was at 6:30, BBQ feast:4 chicken wings with skin, steak, 1/2 lobster tail, miami rib, asparagus and a small amount of mixed greens. I fell asleep with the kids at their bedtime for my 2nd nap, then got up and read a novel for a while, but found my eyes were jumping all over the place (from being tired), so I basically meditated till bedtime.

Supplemented with fish oil, vit D, and mg.

Today for the bloodwork I fasted, then came home and had 10% greek yogurt with coconut butter, coconut shavings, blackberries, strawberries and cinnamon. Worked out, then had a big salad for lunch with left over steak, feta, avocado and other veggies. Tonight I'm planning a lamb/eggplant dish, if I get to the grocery store in time.

I tested myself for ketones after lunch and to my surprise it was negative. ?too much dairy, fruit and protein? I was thinking of a starbuck's today, but I guess I will save it for later in the week.

mommymd
                --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Comment

Hey mommymd,

Really nice journal. Great success! Keep going!

Comment

Hi kcarol, thanks for checking in.

Here is the quiche recipe, ferrygirl:

Unsalted butter
                    4 ounces chopped ham (I would have liked more in mine and would double it next time)
                    8 large eggs
                    pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
                    freshly ground pepper
                    1 cup whole milk
                    1 cup heavy cream
                    2 cups grated Gruyere, Comte or Emmental cheese

Generously butter the insert of a large low cooker. Scatter the ham in the slow cooker.
                    In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the nutmeg and pepper until frothy. Beat in the milk and cream. Pour the egg mixture into the slow cooker. Scatter the cheese on top, avoiding the sides of the cooker.
                    Cover and cook on high for 2 hours and 15 minutes, or until the quiche is lightly puffed and a knife inserted near the centre comes out clean.
                    Run a knife around the edge of the quiche. Cut into wedges and serve hot.

The original recipe called for 2 TBSP flour to be added at the same time as the nutmeg.

It's a good cookbook: The French Slow Cooker by Michele Scicolone

Let me know if you make it. Obviously it would also be good with bacon

mommymd
                    --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Comment

Hey mommymd. I'm enjoying your journal. I suppose I could be mommyrn, but my boys are now both bigger than me by far (oh, the joys of teenaged boys), so haven't been called "mommy" for quite some time . I'm assuming you're in anesthesia? It seems like you're making your call schedule work pretty decently with primal. Nice work!
                      My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Hi Greensprout! Join date March 2010! Happy Anniversary! I'll have to check out your journal to see how to do it longterm!

Yep Anesthesia. Today I was stuck in the OR over "lunch hour" and was very hungry. I managed to get a handful of almonds in and that held me off until 2:30 when I could eat the left over moussaka concoction that I made for dinner last night (ground lamb, tomatoes, eggplant, onions, cinnamon, allspice, oregano with a pureed cauliflower/ sour cream and feta topping)

Today's breakfast was 2 eggs with cream and almond meal, made into 2 "crepes" with smoked salmon and goat cheese. Lunch was as above. Dinner was a left over chicken wing, BBQ asparagus, BBQ salmon, small salad with macadamia oil and basalmic. water to drink, 2 pieces 85% chocolate--forgot about our other appetizer, scallops wrapped in proscuitto on rosemary skewers with lemon on the barbie

Went for another massage. Hedonistic, I know, but I got off work early, and DH was preparing dinner, the boys were with our nanny, so what's a girl to do? Also did a yoga class tonight. I'm extra sore from my workout yesterday. I can't really identify a new move that has my hamstrings yelling today, but none the less, they are. On occasion I've been surprised how good my legs look!

Tomorrow is my regular day off work. Working out in the morning with my trainer. Then because it's March break we are going on a family outing to see a Japanese animated kids film and dinner.

Still haven't had my starbuck's this week. Maybe I should just go a week without...

mommymd
                        --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Comment

I regret that I went for my bloods. My doctor's nurse called and said I had to change what I'm eating, increase my exercise, and go see a dietician. My total cholesterol was 6.5, HDL 1.42, TG 0.62, LDL 4.5. She, of course, is worried about the high total, high LDL, and unfavourable total/HDL ratio. She made no mention of the outstanding TG/HDL ratio. I've spent the last few days rereading all the info on cholesterol, saturated fats, tests, results, etc, and am feeling a little better about it. I thought that my HDL would come back a bit higher, and I didn't expect the LDL to be as high as it is. I read into the "Iranian" formula, but see that it hasn't been further validated anywhere in the literature, and there is no mention of it in any textbook on lipids. There doesn't seem to be an easy way of having my LDL profile read. I will have to go over the summaries of the research again. I also ordered "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" for myself. I don't intend to change the way that I eat, I hope it doesn't affect the way my own MD treats me for non nutrition related concerns. I have an MD behind my name and I find it hard to present all of this to my doctor.

Food has been great. I sprinted Friday morning and fasted until noon. Broke my fast with a small salad, salami and a whole avocado. Came home afterwork and snacked on cheese, salami then had a big salad, mashed boursin cauliflower and ribs for dinner.

Today had 2 eggs with sourcream and salad for breakfast, 1 piece of keilbasa, cheese and veggies for lunch, spiced pecans for snack and then dinner was ribs, cauliflower and salad with a glass of wine. After dinner I had a weird feeling in my parotids, maybe something to do with the wine?

We went to our friends for dinner today. S is also eating paleo and has lost 12 lbs. She looks great.

I did go a week without Starbuck's.

mommymd
                          --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Comment

LDL phenotype A or B vs tg HDL ratio.gif

I am trying to upload a graph from a study that looked at the triglyceride/HDL ratio and LDL particle size of participants. It shows that people with low ratios have pattern A, and high ratios have pattern B. My ratio is 0.44, so based on this study, I have pattern A. Yippee!

The study:
                            Accuracy of the triglyceride to high-density lipoprotein cholesterol ratio for prediction of the low-density lipoprotein phenotype B

Viktor Hanak, MDa, Corresponding author contact information, E-mail the corresponding author,
                            Julian Munoz, MD, MSPHa,
                            Joe Teague, MDa,
                            Alfred Stanley Jr., MDb,
                            Vera Bittner, MD, MSPHc

a Department of Medicine, Carraway Methodist Medical Center, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
                            b Kemp-Carraway Heart Institute, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
                            c Division of Cardiovascular Disease, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA

Received 9 December 2003. Revised 23 March 2004. Accepted 23 March 2004. Available online 9 July 2004.

Published in The American Journal of Cardiology
                            Last edited by mommymd; 03-17-2012, 09:43 PM.
                            --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Comment

Great day! Weighed in at another 1.6 lb loss, for a total of 17 lbs.

Worked out with a new HIIT:
                              cardio warm up
                              3 move set, 30 seconds each, 5 second rest between moves, 2 minute rest before repeating X2: plyo pushups, squat/jump, sumo kickback to plank
                              3 move set, 30 seconds each, 5 second rest between moves, 2 minute rest before repeating X2: spiderman pushups, mountain climber, low arm plank/saw
                              3 move set, 40 seconds each, 5 second rest between moves, 2 minute rest before repeating X1: kettle ball swing squats, football shuffle/sprint, resistance band row
                              Stretched with a foam roller

Food:
                              Breakfast 1 fried egg and 2 sausages, sauteed spinach and shallots (smaller than usual because of planned work out)
                              Lunch (at a buffet party) 1 glass of pear wine, diluted with fizzy water, cured salmon, deviled eggs, bbq chicken, 3 figs with goatcheese and walnuts, bite of sweetpotato brownie, brie cheese,
                              Dinner butter chicken, eggplant and broccoli. The sauce for the butter chicken came from a jar, included canola oil and modified corn starch. Seared organic chicken breasts, bone in skin on, in coconut oil, added jar, chicken broth and chopped eggplant, low simmer for 2 hours. It was delicious. The eggplant absorbed so much of the flavour of the sauce.

I looked good today. At the party, I definitely turned heads in my little black dress. See the success stories picture page for my 5 month primal pics, pg 396.

mommymd
                              --mommymd

LCHF since Oct 2011

Comment

Enjoying your journal and hearing about your successes!All the best in your journey

Comment

Working...
                                X