Primal Journal: Like a boss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lex26 View Post
    I just have to try really hard to get the logical part of my brain to say, "This pressure sucks but eating really isn't going to make it better - never does." That part of my brain basically has to yell at the top of its lungs when I'm stressed out in order to win. The more it wins, though, the easier it gets to realize that those cravings are temporary and conquerable through a mix of calming down/distraction.
    Great advice Lex, I think you're totally right, it's just so hard to get past the initial urge. It's definitely something I'm working on, I want to be free of these evil food issues for good.

Today was an alright day, stuck to my "rules" but ate some weird salami that made me feel weird, generally ate too much (as is tradition), and I just feel blah about myself.

Don't feel like posting my food today, too lazy.

I do have a some questions though. I read a thread recently that was talking about eating low fat and higher carb on workout days....which I know is similar to the Leangains protocol. However, how important is this for someone like me who does PBF and HIIT style workouts using bodyweight, some dumbells and a 20 lb sandbag? Basically, I'm no heavy lifter, I'm working with body weight here, and while my workouts are intense for me, they're not bodybuilder level at all. Would playing with macros help me with losing weight, or should I just focus on eating clean and working out regularly? There's just so much info that sometimes I'm not sure what to implement.

Comment

The low-fat higher carb thing is for carb refeeders that want to increase their leptin. Mark's articles about carb refeeds say that it's only people trying to lose the last few pounds that should do it. Even then, it's not done regularly - only to get past a plateau. But hell, if my own plateau lasts much longer I might just try it anyway.
      Starting weight: 225
      Current weight: 195
      Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
      Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
      My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

Alright people, not my best day. I stuck to my rules fine, but god, I've been eating some weeeeird stuff lately. Well, I guess the food itself isn't weird, just how I've been eating it. Like this morning, still eating raw carrots and cabbage like it's going out of style. I guess I like that it's crunchy and I can eat a bunch of it, but the whole point is for me to drop that behavior. I've also been eating ghee. Just straight. Who fucking eats ghee like that?! Whow has a ghee problem? Find me one person and I'll give you my life savings. So, I got rid of the ghee.

Being honest on here is really embarrassing. Good thing nobody reads this thing.

Sooo I ate a bunch of carrots and cabbage today, lots of coffee with coconut milk, olives, a can of beets (another wtf), a can of tuna with homemade mayo, 4 eggs, Applegate Farms beef hot dogs, and too much ghee.

I'm going to try to make my own coconut milk because I don't like using so many canned products. I bought olives from Wegmans olive bar last night instead of canned. A little more $ but worth it I think. Maybe I just need to cut out coconut milk for a while anyway, see if it effects my digestion. Also right now I feel like I need to lose as many calories as possible, yeesh. If it's not obvious, I still feel like a little chubby rolly polly, and it's kind of effecting my outlook. I'm a serious B lately, I hope that goes away. I've also been sleeping like shit, and actually napped today, which I NEVER do, so that might play a part as well.

Overall, despite my mood and my cruciferous emotional rage, I'm still happy to be doing this. I just need to get over my big American idea of instant gratification and realize that it's only been five day. Five. Not much can happen in five days relating to weight loss and digestion. I need to give it time.
        Last edited by al09; 02-03-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

hm

Hm. Are you PREGNANT? j/k That certainly is a crazy mix of food, but sometimes our bodies crave weird things because they contain the exact nutrients we need. Before I even knew what anemia was in high school, I thought it was weird that I would feel like dying if a meal didn't contain either tomatoes, beans, meat or spinach. Only later did I connect the dots and realized they were all high in iron. I don't really know what's up with the ghee, though. Maybe your meals need some more fat sources? Start throwing some more fat into your breakfast, then see where the craving goes.

I think I'm also going to cut out coconut milk. It's a big snack temptation when I'm hungry and waiting to eat the next meal with other people. The scale isn't budging so, in addition to some other alterations, I think I need to start watching calories more carefully too. Besides it's like lead in my stomach - which is partly good because I won't eat anything when I feel like that, but it also isn't so pleasant. I've noticed there's so much variation in coconut milk tastes and textures that I'm also looking at making my own coconut milk instead - it seems like an intimidating challenge though! It seems complicated.
          Last edited by Lex26; 02-03-2012, 07:01 PM.
          Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
          My Primal Journey

Comment

Ahhh!! Definitely NOT pregnant!! You might be on to something though, I think I'll try to eat more at breakfast. I have this weird hangup with the whole fasting thing, I feel like I should be doing some fasting because last time I did I lost some weight...but I also remember my digestion wasn't so good because of the larger meals. It would probably be in my best interest to just work on eating when I'm hungry, and not when I'm not. Baby steps, right?

I found a video on the Tropical Traditions website that shows how to make your own coconut milk. The woman in the video used a VitaMix style blender, but I've seen it done with any old blender on high. I don't have a VitaMix, so I'm going to try it with my blender at some point. I'm going to take a break from it first though, see how I feel. I also find it to be a big temptation.

It seems like my diet is going to be restricted to only raw ingredients that need to be cooked in order to consume. At what point does that cross the line from being a good way to control cravings, to just crazy?

Comment

I know how you feel about the fasting thing, but when you're starting out, I think breakfast is essential. I used to skip breakfast too. But it gives you a solid foundation for the rest of the day. You don't always know what's going to complicate lunch and dinner plans, but you can generally control breakfast. The last week I lost weight I was having digestion issues (also discovered GERD and low stomach acid problems) which sucked, but I was also pretty much skipping lunch because I felt so nauseated. Intense workouts followed by big breakfasts were causing me to throw up a little and made me hardly even want dinner later. So eating twice a day seemed to work for weight loss, but I don't know how healthy all that was. Oy vey. We'll just keep on experimenting and see what works best.
              My Primal Journey

Comment

I guess experimenting is all we can do Thanks for all your input, it's really helpful. I still haven't got to the GERD article (damn grad school), but I seriously think it might apply to my sitch as well. I'm also going to look into St. Johns Wort as well.

Comment

Alright, so I have some confessions to make about last night. In the spirit of remaining honest, I feel like I should fess up. I broke on of my "rules". Last night I binged on food within my "rules", and then I purged It was a terrible choice, and I know it was emotionally related. After that I went out with some friends and had a few drinks. Now. I didn't include alcohol in my list of things to avoid, because I really don't drink all that much, and I feel like the social benefit of going out for a few drinks once in a while is worth it for me right now. I'm in a situation where I don't have a lot of support so I need to capitalize on all social situations! I just felt crappy about it because of what had happened before, and I just fel super carbed up and gross. It definitely didn't help my self-esteem issues with the whole gaining weight thing. So...today, I waited until I felt hungry, then ate some good food. I ended up fasting for most of the day after that. I had some light snacks tonight, like some carrots and a few olives, but I'm just going to wait to eat a real meal till tomorrow because I have plans to cook and eat with a friend.

Today's food:
                  -Black coffee in the morning
                  -2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon, a few olives, and a can of tuna
                  -lots of water
                  -coconut water
                  -carrots in coconut oil, olives

I didn't workout today either, but I have plans to tomorrow.

I'm still feeling a bit down, and stress about school and everything, but I'm still hoping it will improve. I think I'm going to try to just eat three meals a day and hold off on 16/8 fasting for now. Maybe if I feel up to it I'll do one 24 hr fast per week, but I don't think it would be wise for me to incorporate it daily at this point, even if it does help with weight loss.

Comment

Master the basics

Master the basics first, then play with fasting. Now is definitely not the time, especially because it seems like you're prone to using it as punishment. Just don't do it. I know I used to think self-punishment was somehow beneficial. But when you really think about it, nothing productive comes of hating yourself. Sit back objectively like a loving friend or family member and experiment with ways to get passed some problems instead. Like with the bingeing thing - you're not doing it because you're a bad person. You're doing it for other reasons which may include too much caffeine (my bet - it stresses you out and has been linked with insulin resistance) or other nutritional imbalances (not enough fat or protein). There's also just plain stress, which totally still gets to me. Like you've seen, I've been going out on walks with my iPod instead of hunkering inside and wandering to the kitchen repeatedly.
                    My Primal Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Lex26 View Post
                      But when you really think about it, nothing productive comes of hating yourself. Sit back objectively like a loving friend or family member and experiment with ways to get passed some problems instead.
                      This is such awesome advice. I have such a hard time with this though. After I binge I just feel so terrible about myself that it's impossible to imagine not feeling that way. I really want to work on this though, I think a mental shift would make a difference. I also think you're right about not using fasting as self-punishment, it never works out anyway. I've also thought that caffeine probably doesn't agree with me, and I've especially noticed that recently actually. I used to be that person that was like "oh coffee doesn't effect me at all!" and I would drink it all day and night and I rarely felt any effects. Now, I definitely notice a difference when I don't drink coffee. I have a really hard time giving it up though, but I've switched to decaf. I decided that for this challenge I would keep coffee, because I was excluding quite a few other things, but I think it would be a good idea to ditch it as well.

Comment

Weeelll day 7! It was a good day! I worked out and ate lots of delicious homemade food and I didn't watch the superbowl! Ha! Epic win

So I jogged for 25 minutes, and then did some bodyweight exercises PBF style and 12 minute HIIT workout.

My friend came over today and we cooked a delicious primal feast! I ended up fasting up until we started eating around 4pm. So today I ate:
                        -roasted cauliflower and leek soup
                        -bacon wrapped water chestnuts (OMG sooo good!)
                        -a super awesome salad with lots of veggies
                        -a TON of organic chicken wings with Franks/ghee sauce.

Ok, so today was my first real chicken wing experience. Sweet Jesus I've been missing out! These were so good! And I felt good about eating them because they were homemade with good ingredients (even though I literally ate my weight in wings and I'm still super full). So, overall, a really good day! Oh! I also just roasted my first chicken for some quick meat throughout the week (shut up), and of course I had to taste it, and it's amazing

Comment

Hello there! Today was a really good day And it's day 8 of my little challenge.

I got out of work early, so I did two 12 min HIIT workouts, AND went for a nice walk! I was going to go to yoga tonight, but I had a meeting that went late, so I didn't get to. BUT, I was productive because I came home and made an amazing soup, and generally cooked up a storm. It was so nice I love when my roommate is gone and the kitchen is all MINE!

B- cauliflower soup and a chicken, about 5oz (leftover from last night)
                          L- salad with 1 egg and 1 egg white, some homemade dairy-free ranch and wing sauce as dressing, chicken breast with more wing sauce (it's amazing)
                          D- mug of chicken broth, chicken liver, and an egg, (with, you guessed it! Wing sauce!!!), small bowl of curried cauliflower soup

So today was like the day of chicken for me! But I'm ok with it. It's so nice to get so many meals out of one chicken, it's affordable and it makes me so happy!

I also made some more cauliflower soup since I finished off yesterdays this morning for breakfast. This time I spiced it with curry powder and added some coconut milk. It is sooo delicious and creamy and filling! Plus, cauliflower is so versatile you can add any flavors. I'm obviously sold on this meal!

Alright, time to get serious and read something for school instead of this forum!

Comment

Imma keep this short because I'm soooo tired. Today is Tuesday meaning I had work and class all night, so all meals were pre-packed and eaten in my car. Awesome.

B-black coffee, 4 strips local bacon, 2 hb eggs, some chicken stock
                            L- curried cauliflower soup, plain chicken breast
                            S-2 hb eggs, more soup, green olives
                            D-can of tuna with homemade mayo and 1 hb egg mashed in, broccoli and cauliflower
                            S- more olives and broth

So definitely some snacking today but I didn't bring enough lunch with me and I was starving when I left work. Overall good day mood wise, I was just super tired. My roommate is back so that totally blows, and it increases my overall stress level. Jesus christ I can't wait till May when I get to leave this place.

Comment

hey friend, just checking in! super jealous of those chicken wings, that might have to be a fun little project for me tomorrow. and cauliflower soup?! dayyum girl. how are you doing on sleep/stress? i think that's the hardest thing for us grad students...and other people don't seem to understand just how bad it can be! i mean, there have been so many times i just haven't had time to sleep at all. on the flip side, i often lay awake at night thinking of all the work i have to do. blah!

Comment

Ohhh man did I just eat a massive dinner. First I should say, didn't get to post yesterday because of the forum updates, but it was a really good day. Great workout (total arm death!), great food (discovered my new favorite salad), and had fun with a friend! Full disclosure: I had a really great morning because I had a great workout, then I got dressed to meet up with my friend and got really depressed because my jeans were tight (wtf?! this is so f*cked and I blame society...anyway), but I didn't follow my gut reaction and start hating myself which would lead to a binge and more terrible feelings. I hated myself just a little, and them reminded myself that it's only been 10 days, and I talked it out with my friend (he's actually my x-bf turned bff so he knows the inner workings of my effed up brain about as well as I do), and it really helped and totally turned around my day.

I bought black out curtains yesterday to darken my room since I haven't been sleeping well at all. Well, they didn't quite do the trick, so now i have blackout curtains, a fleece blanket, and my regular curtains covering the windows. It looks really attractive. Good thing I never have any gentleman callers over. Still slept like crap last night, but I'm going to give it some time.

Today I was super sore and tired. I ate good food, but a lot of it. For some reason I can't get enough of caramelized onions, tun, and sundried tomatos. Maybe because I found tuna with sundried tomatoes at Big Lots (good ingredients too!) and I'm freakin obsessed. I'm literally thinking of going back and buying the rest.

B-black decaf coffee when I woke up
                                - can of sundried tomato tuna (in olive oil, but drained), 2 pieces of bacon, mug of bone broth

L-5oz grass fed beef, green beans, and an egg all cooked together with chili powder and cumin
                                -black decaf coffee

S-mug of bone broth

D- salad with 2 onions caramelized, can of sundried tomato tuna (drained), and balsamic vinegar
                                -bowl of plain cooked green beans
                                -another can of tuna, chipotle flavored this time, with about 1tbsp homemade mayo

Sooo, I don't know why I had to have all the extra tuna tonight, I ate well all day and got enough fat and everything. It's especially weird since I didn't even work out today because I'm so sore! Oh well, I'm not going to stress about it and just focus on the fact that today is day 11 and I've stuck to my food rules! I ate a lot, but at least it was pretty clean! Most people eat way worse than I do and they don't feel guilty about it at all. I just have that nagging "but you want to lose weight" in the back of my head. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!! Ahhh! I am having some digestive weirdness now though, not really bloating, just gurgling, but it's probably because I ate so much.

Comment

Working...
                                X