No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (PrimalWriter)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I've been MIA for nearly a year. Trying again. I did lose some weight last year, so that's good. But the circumstances of my life were....crazy. So I'm trying to get things straightened out, calmed down...start over. I turned 50 (eek), published a book last year, and need to finish editing about three more...and work to get them published. And, and, and....

I have basic meat and veggies. I have a few of my cookbooks (I moved last year, then moved back). You see where things have been crazy? Anyway, I'm having a hard time breaking a few habits, but am optimistic. And again, trying to hold myself accountable.

Will officially hold myself accountable starting Friday (the 1st), so will check in here then at the latest.

Got to get the TV off...the treadclimber commercials have started.....
    My primal journal: My journey, goals, recipes, random thoughts on primal and SAD.

It's all about the journey. How we get there is at least as important as where we end up.

Comment

hi PW. I've done the same thing. Started here a few years ago and then didn't come back. Did Whole30 earlier this year and have done pretty well since. Hope to get to goal weight in 2016.

I'll be checking in with you, make you more accountable
      Female, 53 y.o. 195 lbs 2/15, 148 lbs 02/16. Goal wt < 140 lbs.
      Journal link: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread115661.html
      http://paleotrack.com/j/GtjBV4YJ

Comment

Hi BFTW! Good to "meet" you. Thanks for the accountability!
        My primal journal: My journey, goals, recipes, random thoughts on primal and SAD.

It's all about the journey. How we get there is at least as important as where we end up.

Comment

So here's the scoop if anyone wants to hear it. Last February (Feb 2015) I had a bout of vertigo. In the process, I fell, hit my head, etc. I was living by myself, which made getting over said bout difficult, to say the least. Anyway, since then, I've had trouble cooking until recently, walk with a cane--mostly because I'm afraid. Which, considering I'd never had a problem before then, I regard as stupid, but....my chiropractor at the time said I was perfectly strong, so I THINK it must be psychological.

Anyway, in June I quit my job, intending to move to Tennessee....so that happened, but a couple weeks after I got there (to live with family, etc) the job I thought I'd have fell through. I kept trying to find a new one, then moved back to Orlando at the end of October. Meanwhile, though, I tried to keep eating primal (and mostly failing) although I did lose nearly 20 pounds over the past year.

So here I am, living with a friend who wanted to rent out a room. Doing odd jobs as best I can (and praying for something to break my way), trying to get back eating Primal (doing Whole 30 this month to try to get back into it), not sure about the exercising, but at least the eating. And hey, anyone in the Orlando area wants to get together with me and help me get my courage back for walking (and when I've lost some weight, some other exercise), let me know.....

Tomorrow's food is going to be some recipes from Tammy Credicott's Make Ahead Paleo. That is a great cookbook, so I'm going to do several recipes and put them up for the week (I have some gift cards for Subway and Chipotle--I've already decided to give them to my sister when she gets here Monday--just to get them out of my sight!). Guess I'd better go shopping tonight then.....

Comment

Gaagh!! Yesterday was a complete..well, I was busy, so I can't say it was a complete waste of time. I got up early and made an egg casserole for the next three or four days' breakfast. Had a hamburger for lunch (no bun, of course) and chicken for dinner. Tonight: chicken again. Lunch was bbq, so primal except for the sauce. Tomorrow will be a primal recipe for skirt steak.

Okay, that's food. It's amazing how the "discussion" around here (from me) tends to revolve around food, when what I want is to forget about food complete and just live my life. So let's talk about what else is going on. I've spent the past couple of days organizing my next couple weeks of work. I'll spend tomorrow actually doing some work (rest of today as well). I hate not taking a real weekend off, but have a couple of projects to get started on and one of those projects is at crunch time, even though I just got it yesterday...and I want to get 7,000 words written on my book(s) this week, just to get a good start on them. My sister will be down Monday night, with some of my belongings from her place (in TN)...this is good. Very very good.

My mom (who lives in TN as well), had another stroke last night. Thinking that if I can lose that weight I need, that will improve my chances of NOT having a stroke. She's as okay as can be expected, but....how good can it be, having stroke after stroke? (She's had 3 in the past year.) And I just found out a few weeks ago that my grandmother had one, just before she died....now my other grandmother died of old age (at 101), so am hoping I inherited more genes from that side of the family! But meanwhile, I need to take better care of myself.

Comment

welcome back. sorry to read about your mom.
              Female, 53 y.o. 195 lbs 2/15, 148 lbs 02/16. Goal wt < 140 lbs.
              Journal link: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread115661.html
              http://paleotrack.com/j/GtjBV4YJ

Comment

Hi PrimalWriter and welcome "back" to primal. I applaud your 10 week idea, I always recommend sticking to the basic plan for 2 months to see how your body reacts before you start varying off into the n=1 variations. Keep in mind that Primal is more than just the diet. The big thing I don't see in your program is exercise, doing the "move frequently, low intensity" mantra. At your height/weight, you will need to start easy and work up. My wife and I did this with walking, when we started it was short/slow, and worked up to around an hour walk in the neighborhood or local parks at a brisk pace. I know this may be an issue for you with your work schedule, but I would guess you may find yourself being more productive if you take the time to do the exercise.
                If interested, my more complete thoughts on launching your Primal effort are at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1609332. This was aimed at a new, athletic dad, but may be worth a read.
                With the length of your work day on the PC, I also recommend that you do at least a cursory review of your posture at your workstation. I would hope that your are OK on this already, but it can make a big difference in your comfort and productivity.
                Keep posting!
                The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

Hi, Rig! I used to do a lot of walking, but it's a challenge with the cane. (See above) However...yeah, I'm going to have to start back. My sis came down and one of the things she brought was my hand weights. So I'm going to starting tomorrow(!) do reps with those and some movement.

Will do what I can easily with a downloaded walking app (new phone, so need to download a new one tonight) and will report back here tomorrow. The terrain around my house is one of those rare "hilly" bits in Orlando, so that should be interesting. (Starting with the driveway!) So it's a long walk UP the driveway (not a terrible slope, but a bit), then flat for about 1/4 mile, then back down to the start of the street. The whole thing is about 1/2 mile one way to the stop sign.

So one good thing about being flat broke is it's impossible to give into temptation. The bad thing about it is no choices to what I'm eating. Tonight it's skirt steak and veggies. Tomorrow will be the same, since I don't think I'll have a check until Friday from my freelance work, and I WILL have leftovers. The skirt steak isn't going to be exciting--I just added garlic powder and basil--but it will be fine. I think I'm going to make chicken salad for lunch tomorrow--just remembered I have a couple pieces of chicken in the fridge. Anyway.....I'm not weighing myself until the end of the month (something also made easier by the fact that my scale died a couple days ago, so I need new batteries!), but my stomach seems flatter....of course, I could be delusional, too.

Comment

Update on Mom--she's back in the hospital--in a rehab center that is actually pretty good. OTOH, the food....

Dinner tonight: leftover steak (and then I unearthed the chicken! Oh, well, it'll hold another night). Funny thing--since I can, I've been allowing myself to get up with the sun (that'll change if/when I ever find a job, but for now...nice.) And as a rule, I don't get up very late anyway--generally up by 7:30. I am in the habit of eating breakfast early. Still, I am finding that I'm not hungry until mid-afternoon. So I've been going with it. Which means that leftover steak was eaten by about 4:00 (because I did put it off).

Walking--as promised, I did walk. I probably can walk longer. I actually really wish I had someone to walk with, out of an overabundance of caution....but I will make it. Anyway, because I was trying not to push it, I only walked 1/2 mile. To walk further, I think I'll have to go to a flat space. Maybe Langford Park. Might try that tomorrow morning before I have to be someplace.

Comment

alking--Slow and easy, build up gradually.
                      Hang in there on all else. Best wishes to you during tough times.
                      The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

Thanks, Rig.

Mom is doing better...I told her today about a blog that I found (Paleo Paparazzi) where the writer credits the "anti-inflammatory" nature of paleo with helping her husband deal with with a stroke's aftermath. Not the same set of circumstances at all, maybe it helps...

The last week+ just flew by. Funny how that can happen even when you aren't working. I do have a lead on a job, now, so hopefully....if I can just piece together enough work...

But: I've been eating okay--not perfect, but okay. Tonight and the next few meals I'm eating leftovers to crockpot beef stew: beef that I cooked in an oven (that did NOT turn out well), so I threw it in a crockpot with veggies, garlic (minced, about 4 cloves), jalapenos....by the time it was done, it turned out pretty good. So now I've got the leftovers...and it's cold enough to appreciate stew!

I finally also got new batteries for my scale, and jumped in for the first time in a couple of weeks....to find I'd lost 5 lbs. Yay. In a couple of weeks. My initial goal is to lose 10 (I like round numbers) so I'm halfway there. Now, I'm only halfway to the first 10, but it's something, anyway.

Comment

I think tomorrow I'm going to be making pork ribs with dry rub (so it's paleo). Going to put the rest of the beef stew into freezer packs because I'm getting a bit tired of leftovers (I'm in a roommate situation, so....)

Comment

So the last month was short....geez. How did February lose two days, while feeling like it lost a hundred. I dropped a couple of pounds and a few points off my BS. It helps (I think) that it's warming up--back to "normal" temps. It DOESN'T help that I still don't have work, so I'm still doing what I can for food. Eating less these days so I can stay as paleo as possible. I have a friend who keeps giving me gift cards to restaurants, and I'm doing the best I can. I'll be glad when I get employment again! (Since I quit my job, I don't even get to draw unemployment.) I'm barely making enough to pay rent, insurance, and phone--thank goodness utilities etc are covered in rent!

Breakfast this morning was tuna--I found a can stashed in the hodge-podge of stuff I brought back with me. Well, actually I found two cans and a can of salmon. Amazing how the little things can make you happy. I do need to get some eggs--I have a gift card to Target, and there's one near me with a grocery store, so I'm going to pick up some eggs, some veggies, and some chicken--that's cheaper than red meat, plus I do have some dehydrated ground beef from a few years back when I was in a food storage stage. I also have some veggies--spinach, cauliflower etc. Now you know all my deep dark secrets :-)

I'm hopeful, though--companies are starting to look for people around here with my skill set....

If anyone is actually reading this, sorry for the "grump." Having a day, I guess.
                            Last edited by PrimalWriter; 03-01-2016, 01:20 PM.

Comment

BS back up today--probably due to some crackers and corn I had yesterday. Weight down .2 pounds. You'd think since I didn't eat much yesterday that it would have worked out better, but oh, well. Today I had eggs, spinach, dehydrated beef (I need to check the ingredients list), and cheese for breakfast. I'll have fish of some sort for dinner, so we'll see how that works out. I'm a little worried...I'm going to a food bank on Friday--see how that works out. This is turning into an exploration of how to eat well (hah) on next to no money. What little I do have will wait until Friday/Saturday to spend so I can maximize it.

We'll see.... (by the way, I know this is temporary, but it still sucks.)

Comment

I probably shouldn't check this so often, but trying to stay on track....and down .1 pounds again today. Another 1.6 and I'm into the next decade.

Drinking a lot of tea these days--trying to work through some of my stash. Most of these are herb teas--I'm trying also to watch my caffeine intake.

Food today: eggs, walnut oil (it's what I had). Dehydrated spinach, reconstituted, and some hamburger (also reconstituted). Basil and garlic flavored it.
                                Snack: well, popcorn. I know, I know...but I had it.
                                Lunch: chicken. Rest of the reconstituted spinach. Going to reconstitute some more this afternoon, plus some doing some broccoli. Crossing fingers that I can find some good food among tomorrow's offerings.

need to

Comment

Working...
                                X