Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (Marianne "60 Is the New 40")

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which park in the East Bay? I spent many quality hours in Tilden and Redwood.
    Redwood was the first place I ever saw a fairy ring. I miss the beauty, and the "be-pierced" coffee servers as well.
    Listening to you and primal4fifty makes me homesick.

On a primal note, however, I too have ditched the scale. I'm finishing up the last of my heavy cream before starting my
    30 day strict challenge. Heavy cream in coffee has been my last, and greatest impediment. Wish me luck.
    Glad there's no Peets or I would face doom in the form of Aged Sumatra, which begs for heavy cream to balance the pong.
    Last edited by missblue; 02-05-2012, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Oh I love heavy cream in the coffee too missblue! I'll want to hear more about how this goes.
      I was off the computer for most of the weekend. (And I'm sorry; I'm just too damned OLD to craft long beautiful postings from a frickin iphone barbie sized screen and keyboard!)

missed you gals... hope the weekend was great... xoL

Comment

Originally posted by missblue View Post
        Which park in the East Bay?

Glad there's no Peets or I would face doom in the form of Aged Sumatra, which begs for heavy cream to balance the pong.
        Yep, it was good old Tilden. We started out at Inspiration Pt. for a mile or so, then just bushwacked our way all over the place. Big fun.

Great to hear you ditched the scale. It's such a healthy thing to do. But cream now--don't know if I could ever go THAT far. You are very brave!

Oh, and your evil fairy godmother here is whispering enticingly in your shell-like ear, "Peets does mail order...on-line...so easy, so yummy..."
        My Journal 60 Is the New 40 (more musings, less stats) --
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46274.html

Comment

The last few days have been particularly full of ordinary life stuff, but also—except for The Chocolate Cookie Incident—primal as heck. One week down for the 21-Day Challenge, and I’m feeling good about hanging in there on the commitment front. Here are some other random updates:

1. I survived real Zumba! Yes, I was sweaty and red-faced at the end, but to my delight I had no problem keeping up with the rest of the group in terms of stamina. Yay for me! And the instructor was so good that I didn’t even hate her for being a size 2 pixie with absolutely no jiggly bits except where they belonged.

However, I was pretty hopeless about getting all the moves going the way they were supposed to go. Thanks to primal4fifty’s “beat before feet” advice, I managed okay from feet to hips, but things went kinda’ haywire from there on up. But I flailed away like a middle-aged windmill anyway, and had big fun with the dancing and hip shaking. I understand that the coordination part takes time, but it was still frustrating. The vote is out whether I will make this level of Zumba part of my regular routine or just an occasional drop-in when I feel the need to move fast for an hour. Loved the music, though!

2. The Husband recently did a heroic amount of laundry (not even single soiled lace doily around here now! Not that there were clean ones, either, but you get my drift), so I finally have an empty detergent container for my proposed homemade kettlebell project. Now I have to get my act together to acquire some sand or gravel to fill it with, and I’m not sure which would be the better choice. This less-than-rocket-science dilemma makes me think of that old kid riddle: what’s heavier, 25 pounds of sand or 25 pounds of gravel?

3. Had another fabulous hike for most of Sunday in keeping with our anti-Superbowl plan. (Don’t get me wrong, I really do like football—particularly college level—it’s just all the hype around the Superbowl that makes me crazy.) We went to a fairly remote area about an hour southeast of us. There were very few other hikers there, maybe because of the game, maybe because of the location, and that make it especially memorable.

It was a primally resonant experience, too--climbing, wandering, scrambling over rocks, taking in the stillness, etc. We packed only primal snacks which was a verrrrrry big change from the Olden Days, plus I did some foraging of wild bay leaves to dry for future cooking. The best part, though, was discovering a number of rocks with Indian grinding holes in them, stunning evidence of the truly primal people who had been there before us. It was something special to feel even the thinnest of connections to those early residents. But: no matter how authentic it might be, I am never going to eat ground acorn paste!

4. I’ve stayed away from the scale so far. A couple of times it really called to me, but I told it to mind its own business and leave me the eff alone. Besides, better than the scale were the pants I wore today—impossible to put on a year ago, still rather snug this summer, and actually baggy in the butt today. Now that’s progress.

So it’s getting late for this primal petunia—gotta’ shut off the electronics at a reasonable hour. I’m off to curl up with a blissfully trashy mystery novel.

Comment

excellent weekend's accomplishments! im impressed! xo L

Comment

Sand is heavier than gravel, and easier to pour and easier to get because you can buy bags of it almost anywhere. With either material, if it's not heavy enough, or if/when you want to add more weight, pour some water in and it will fill up the airy spaces. You are doing so awesome!
              There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
              Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

Comment

Originally posted by GoLisaGo View Post
                Sand is heavier than gravel, and easier to pour and easier to get because you can buy bags of it almost anywhere. With either material, if it's not heavy enough, or if/when you want to add more weight, pour some water in and it will fill up the airy spaces. You are doing so awesome!
                Lisa -- you are a genius! Thanks for the clarity :-)

Comment

I have a thing for old cookbooks. My prize is one I found in Sweden, published in the early 1920s, with recipes that start out with instructions like, "Take a large sheep's head...." For some reason I haven't ever quite gotten around to trying that one, but really, think how primal!

I just foraged a slightly more recent cookbook from a pile of books a friend was going to donate to the library. It’s called "Feasts for All Seasons" by Roy Andries de Groot, published in 1966. I did have to pause for a minute over the thought that 1966 is getting to be antique—geez, I was buying my first pair of fashion forward go-go boots about then...

The book is an intriguing combination of antiquated and advanced. First and foremost, it’s all about eating seasonally and respecting the ingredients—just what all us primal types like to do. And there’s an emphasis on “from scratch” with instructions for things like grinding one’s own curry powder and making homemade sausage. Plus a lot of the recipes are from other cultures (Latin America, Asia, the Mediterranean) with a real appreciation for those local food traditions. This was only a few years after Julia Child published her first book, and I’m sure that in the era of tv dinners and jello salads these books were pretty radical for most folks. And still are for some!

One of the antiquated aspects, though, is the inclusion of MSG in just about everything—yikes. Of course there’s no mention of microwaves, and some of the more “exotic” ingredients (like fresh ginger, EVOO or shallots) can only be found via mail order. Yep, mail order. Imagine sending away for a brochure or mimeographed list of available items, sending back your order and a check, and then waiting forever for the mailman to deliver. So much for whipping up something at the last minute.

But the recipes are really interesting, and many are inherently primal or could be adjusted (Step 1 - skip MSG). Last night I made “Corsican Cauliflower Pancake” to go with grilled lamb chops. The pancake was basically cauliflower that was steamed and mashed, then cooked like one big pancake in olive oil with garlic and nutmeg—yum! Even the cauliflower-adverse husband admitted that it was tasty. Next I’m going to try Squabs with Bacon and Juniper Berry Butter – just as soon as those mail order squabs arrive

Comment

Originally posted by Marianne View Post
                    Yep, it was good old Tilden. We started out at Inspiration Pt. for a mile or so, then just bushwacked our way all over the place. Big fun.

Great to hear you ditched the scale. It's such a healthy thing to do. But cream now--don't know if I could ever go THAT far. You are very brave!

Oh, and your evil fairy godmother here is whispering enticingly in your shell-like ear, "Peets does mail order...on-line...so easy, so yummy..."
                    Well Ladies,
                    I must admit to miserable failure on the "sans cream" attempt #1.
                    I have been checking into the Peet's website all too much lately Marianne due to free shipping offer
                    but am still resisting. But I had hubby buy me some cream today, and am even now brewing my own version of
                    caffine-free chai.

I intend to have both heavy cream and dark raw honey in it, thank you very much, because it has not only
                    been that kind of day but that kind of week, and it is either that or a double martini (pitcher, that is) ;-)

I will think about Paleo tomorrow. . .

Comment

Is that a spammer or a real person??

Missed you girl! Sounds like you have been having fun even without our zany little primal forum world available...

Will post more later. Just wanted to say hi. xoL

Comment

Pretty sure that was a spammer. Showed up just about the same time as MDA went haywire. I don't know if there's a connection but I'm staying away from who/what - ever it may be.

Yeah, hella' busy these last few days. . .plus I'm involved in another writing project and can only go so long on the keyboard without sliding far, far down the non-primal hole of time suck. But I've been think of you guys! I intend to catch up with everyone and post some more myself in the next day or so.

Comment

Here are my new happy feet waving to one and all!

Happy Feet Waving.jpg

I just got my first pair of Vibram Five Fingers, and find it hard to describe just how truly happy I am with them. If I could post a video it would be of me twinkle-toeing my way down the street like a demented stubby middle-aged version of Gene Kelly singing in the rain. My feet feel effing fantastic in the things!

I do have to say that these little bundles of ground-hugging delight will not do me any favors with the membership committee of the fashionista club. Nor is my husband yet willing to be seen in public with me when I’m wearing what he keeps referring to as my “toe shoes.” But, ya know, I just don’t care. I’m as happy as a little kid who got just what they wanted for their birthday. I’d probably sleep with them under my pillow if it wasn’t for The Husband Factor. He already thinks I’m getting wacky enough

Before going primal I had all sorts of problems with plantar fasciitis, but they completely disappeared after I started going barefoot or as minimally shod as possible. Then recently I developed some weird thing on one of my toes that made walking painful almost all the time. Not surprisingly my CW health clinic podiatrist was mystified and could only recommended thick-soled shoes and cortisone shots. Nuts to that. So I got the Vibrams and am of course walking miles and miles completely pain free. The Vibrams are just cranking the whole thing up a notch, keeping my feet healthy and strong.

I once saw the old comedian Moms Mabley on tv wearing big fluffy slippers. When asked why no shoes, she emphatically stated, “If the feets ain’t happy, ain’t nuthin’ happy.” Amen to that, sister!

Comment

I think they are pretty damn seksi! Congratulations! And good to know about the plantars... I've had some bouts of that myself. xoL

Comment

Hey, those look great! Yep, the feets needs to be happy! Fo sure. I'm getting ready to order some Barefoot Life Wonder Gloves from Merrell, they have a Vibram sole and come in 6 colors. I think I can get away with wearing them to work, and they will be perfect for an after lunch walk.
                              There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
                              Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

Comment

Yikes! I just got an e-mail from MDA letting me know that my post for the "Success in the Making" section of the site is now up. That's the end of being coy about those bathing suit pictures--my 60+ flesh in all it's glory is out there for the whole world to see. It feels both odd and liberating. Happily, more on the liberating side. For me an important part of going primal has been about making a commitment and not hiding it. Not much left to hide now!

Lisa -- I immediately went to Zappos to check out the Merrells you ordered--cute! Unfortunately, they don't seem to come in wide widths so won't work for me. I'll be interest to hear how you like them.

Other thrilling updates:

1. Homemade kettlebell now in play! A 100 ounce detergent bottle takes about nine pounds of sand. Not quite as heavy as I would have wished, but still enough to have fun with. Once our imminent houseguests have come and gone, I'm thinking of keeping it near the tv to swing around while watching so I won't feel so guilty about getting sucked into my favorite trash :-)

2. I made a really tasty item for weekend breakfast today. It may be something that most other primal folks already do, but it was a new concept for me. I'm only medium fond of eggs so this was a very happy compromise between eggs and pancakes. Yum!

Pancake Omlette.jpg

I mixed up all the ingredients below, then poured them into a 10" omlette pan. I didn't flip it over like a regular pancake because that's just too much stress first thing in the a.m., but I did cover the pan for the last couple of minutes to give the top a little more heat. Filled it with a bunch of berries, folded it over, and added a glop of Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Happy, happy.

Here's what I used to make the batter (kinda' approximate for everything but the eggs--hey, I hadn't had coffee yet):

2 eggs
                                2 teaspoons coconut flour (this stuff thickens like mad, so you don't need much)
                                1/2 tsp baking powder
                                pinch salt
                                2 tablespoons milk
                                1-2 teaspoons melted butter
                                goodly splash of vanilla

If anyone else tries this, let me know what you think!

Comment

Working...
                                X