Primal Journal (Jeff Herron)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Journal (Jeff Herron)

Starting my Primal Journal today as part of the Success Stories in the Making challenge for 2012.

I ate a candy cane yesterday, and some seeds and nuts that were roasted and salted. other than that, it was a 100% Primal day. Today, so far (2:30pm right now) has been 100% Primal.

Off to a good start!
    --
    Jeff Herron
    jeff.herron@gmail.com

Whenever something is wrong, something is too big.
    ~ Leopold Kohr

I'm on page 1 here, by the way: Success Stories in the Making | Mark's Daily Apple
    (at least as of 2:30pm EST, 1/10/2012).
    --
    Jeff Herron
    jeff.herron@gmail.com

~ Leopold Kohr

Comment

Below is a link to two chart images of my food intake from yesterday (courtesy of livestrong.com). I think that's the easiest way to post what I'm eating each day.

Daily Intake Charts | Facebook

A little high on protein yesterday, and a little low on fat in the greater scheme of things. I even really slathered the butter on at dinner! Getting enough good fat remains a challenge. Need to re-read some of Mark's advice on where to get good fats.
      --
      Jeff Herron
      jeff.herron@gmail.com

~ Leopold Kohr

Comment

Daily intake from 1/11: Daily Intake Charts | Facebook

Lunch was the big problem yesterday. The burger resulted in too much protein for the day, and the ice cream and diet pop were just a bad idea. I think the sugar from the ice cream resulted in hunger cravings in the evening, which put me over the top in terms of calories with the extra cheese consumption in the evening.

Note to self: Avoid McDonald's in the future. And a salad for lunch (with some meat added to it, but not as the main course) will probably result in the best mix of food intake.
        --
        Jeff Herron
        jeff.herron@gmail.com

~ Leopold Kohr

Comment

Daily in take on 1/12 was just about perfect, although I came in just a touch low on protein. Eating at home and being able to select good ingredients is such a key!

Clocked in at 203 lbs. this morning, so I'm on the weight-loss train once again, after a brief holiday interlude through the month of December. Go go go!
          --
          Jeff Herron
          jeff.herron@gmail.com

~ Leopold Kohr

Comment

Wasn't too hungry yesterday, so only consumed about 1300 calories. Percentages on everything were about right - maybe just a touch low again on protein, but only by 10-20 grams or so. Weight down to 202 as of this morning. Looking forward to being under 200 again soon, for the first time in almost six or seven years!

This is feeling very sustainable. It's been a unexpected blessing and joy to sit down with the family to nearly every meal now that we're dining in a lot more. Goodness piled on top of goodness - loving Primal!
            --
            Jeff Herron
            jeff.herron@gmail.com

~ Leopold Kohr

Comment

Congrats on the progress Jeff!

I'd also say don't stress out over how many calories, what the ratios of fat/protein/carbs are, keep focused on keeping carbs under 50g and you'll see vast improvement.

An easy way to get more good fats is cook everything in them. I use coconut and avacado oil to cook everything to add the good fats. I also supplement with a good Omega-3 fish oil.
              Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. We do cook everything in butter and coconut oil -- and used bacon grease! I probably haven't been tracking that correctly, so maybe I am getting more fat than I realize. I've also been supplementing with Vitamin D (dark winter here in northern KY) and Omega-3 fish oil.

Saturday was fine eating-wise, but Sunday was a bit of a mess. Our normal schedule falls apart on Sundays, so I'll need to come up with a plan on how to handle Sunday mealtimes in the future. Live and learn!
                --
                Jeff Herron
                jeff.herron@gmail.com

~ Leopold Kohr

Comment

Sounds like you got all your bases covered Jeff!
                  Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Comment

Started PBF in earnest on 1/30. I'm sore and sad to realize i am weaker by far than the Ken Korg example used in the ebook - but I am on my way to getting stronger! I also started taking Ryukyu Kempo since they offer it at the gym where I'm doing my PBF LHT days -- and because my wife is purple belt and is kicking my butt!

I'll post updates here of how things are progressing.
                    --
                    Jeff Herron
                    jeff.herron@gmail.com

~ Leopold Kohr

Comment

Third LHT session on 2/6. Starting to feel muscles I haven't heard from in a long time. Less sor today than after the firs two sessions - and actually seeing some progress. The day I do a real, unassisted pullup will be a day for celebration!
                      --
                      Jeff Herron
                      jeff.herron@gmail.com

~ Leopold Kohr

Comment

My wife and I began the 21-day Challenge from Mark's newest book on Monday, 3/5. I'll be posting my journal through the 21 days here. We recently completed a 40-day Bible study challenge and had such good results in starting a new habit, that we felt the 21-day challenge from Mark would be a great way to get our whole family engaged and committed to Primal living.

Kitchen/Pantry Purge: This was fairly simple for us since we've been mostly Primal for a few months now. We have one cabinet that is the "kids cabinet" that has some of the cheese crackers and stuff they like. My wife, Darah, and I are strictly forbidden from getting anything for ourselves form that cabinet. Other than that, our house is 100% Primal now for food. Hooray!

Restock Prep: Again, this was simply for us since we've been shopping Primally for a while now. Our local grocery store and even Wal-Mart and Meijer have pretty good options if you hunt for them. Anything we can't get there, we'll buy online or get for ourselves formt he garden or our growing collection of farm animals!

Increase Daily Movement: A big one we need to get right over the next 21 days. We're planning on practicing our kata much more regularly at home, as well as doing a 20-30 minutes walk a few times a week. It's just making the time for it that is tough to figure out, but if we're both committed to doing it, it is much more likely to happen. I'll continue to post updates here on how we're doing.

Today, we had our Kempo class and do our usual 30-40 minutes of Lifting Heavy Things. We're both making good progress in each!

Primal Essentials: We're good on Primal Essentials for now. Maybe Darah will join me in a pair of Vibrams once the weather starts warming up. They have really helped me in my walking and posture since I started wearing them last August.

Summary:
                        Daily energy levels: 8 (really good right up until 8pm when I kind of crashed - might have been a result of our "splurge" weekend
                        Hunger level between meals: 3 (no problem other than the afternoon lull; we'll be working on rectifying that over these 21 days, too)
                        Satisfaction level w/ meals: 9
                        Struggles today w/ Primal efforts: Nothing significant
                        Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: Getting a little stronger every time we do the LHT piece of PBF. I progressed today to Hand/Foot planks. Huzzah!
                        Daily highlight: After several months, I'm still loving the big salad at noon with balsamic vinegar dressing. And I'm really liking getting stronger.
                        Daily needs-to-improve: Increase daily movement
                        --
                        Jeff Herron
                        jeff.herron@gmail.com

~ Leopold Kohr

Comment

Day 2:

Primal Shopping Spree: We've been shopping Primally for a while now, so we just continued our normal routine. Today is actually shopping day in our house, but that's beside the point. We've got this one pretty much down.

Moderate Duration Aerobic Workout: We took the boys for a 45-minute walk across the ridge behind our house and down into the woods. We explored all edges of the sharp drop-off that's back there, much to the boys delight. (Note to self: Might be a good place for some climbing exercises later this year.) Kept heart rate between 55% and 75% of max the whole time, except for maybe the climb back up the hill to the ridge top. It's pretty steep! Overall, we kept it pretty slow and steady. And we had so much fun, I think this will be one we can make a regular habit without too much fuss. Hooray!

Calm, Relaxing Evening: Does watching the second half of Five Elements Ninjas count as calm and relaxing? We divide our evenings between reading, playing games (video and otherwise), and watching movies. I know watching a screen isn't the most Primal evening activity, but it's really the only time we have to do so. We may eventually want to cut out screen time at night altogether, but that's going to be a ways down the road, I think.

SUMMARY
                          Daily energy levels: 7 (dealing with some bowel discomfort which has me feeling weaker than usual during the day)
                          Hunger level between meals: 3 (no problem other than the afternoon lull; we'll be working on rectifying that over these 21 days)
                          Struggles today w/ Primal efforts: Going completely screen-less in the evenings is going to be a challenge!
                          Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: Steady energy throughout the day, sleep really well at night, able to get up well rested and on-time consistently
                          Daily highlight: The walk as a family was great. Definitely something to incorporate into our regular weekly routine.
                          Daily needs-to-improve: Not sure on anything today, besides the night-time wind-down stuff.
                          --
                          Jeff Herron
                          jeff.herron@gmail.com

~ Leopold Kohr

Comment

Day 3 of 21-Day Challenge

Day 3:

Primal Celebration Dinner Planning: It almost seems like every dinner is a celebration, so we're not sure if we'll entertain for this or not. But we are definitely eating 100% Primal at every meal. And we'll host a meal sometime soon that will be a Primal feast, whether or not it happens in the 21 days.

Boycott Industrialized Food: Check. Darah didn't even get her usual iced tea at McDonald's! And this year's massive vegetable garden and our free range chickens (and rabbits soon!) are our vote for local, home-grown food.

Full-length PME workout: This was week five for our PBF, which we started in early February. We're both making good progress. My reps are listed below (set 1/set 2):
                            - Knee pushups: 35/32
                            - 2-Leg assisted pull-ups: 5/12 (I think I had a break-through on this and will start making better progress on pull-ups)
                            - Squats: 40/28
                            - Jackknife Presses: 15/11
                            - Plank (Hand/Foot): 1:05,:45L,:40R/:45,:40L,:30R
                            Pretty poor day for squats, but I had one of my best days so far in the upper body. Onward and upward!

Play: Failed miserably. I did not play. I am preternaturally aged and have forgotten how, I guess. I'll need to think about what to even do for play. I did read for 30 minutes extra but I know that doesn't count!

SUMMARY
                            Daily energy levels: 6 (dealing with some bowel discomfort which has me feeling weaker than usual during the day)
                            Hunger level between meals: 2
                            Struggles today w/ Primal efforts: I don't know how to play! I will definitely have to work on that. I have two little boys that I think will be able to help me in that department.
                            Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: Even though I felt tired throughout the day due to some intestinal discomfort, I still had enough energy for the LHT workout and a really good Kempo session. Hey, does Kempo count as playing?
                            Daily highlight: Good LHT workout and good Kempo session.
                            Daily needs-to-improve: Not sure on anything today, besides the play issue.
                            --
                            Jeff Herron
                            jeff.herron@gmail.com

~ Leopold Kohr

Comment

Day 4:

As of this morning, for the first time in a few years, my weight no longer starts with the number "2". Huzzah!

Honor Hunger: We ate roughly at breakfast, lunch, and dinner (routine is a good thing around here!), but we ended up eating the same deer chili for both lunch and dinner (it was that good!). And actually I ended up staying up later than usual, so I ate some almond butter as a late-night snack, because I was pretty hungry. So, in my case, honoring hunger had me eating MORE than usual yesterday! (Today, however, we just had some fruit for lunch because we didn't feel like the usual big salad.)

Aerobic Adventure: We had no aerobic adventure yesterday due to the inclement weather. To make up for it, we're planning an hour-long + play session at the park today!

Standup Work Station: I've actually had this in place since August of last year. My typical routine has become to stand from breakfast to lunch and then sit for an hour or two after lunch - and then I usually can break away from my desk and I'm doing something active (and not seated!). So, for example, my standing time yesterday was about 4-5 hours, all at a single stretch. It took my about 4-6 weeks to really get into the swing of it when I first started, but now I can't dream of going back. Those big office chairs make me feel like I'm in a prison!

SUMMARY
                              Daily energy levels: 7 (bowel discomfort getting better, slowly but surely)
                              Hunger level between meals: 1 (unless you count between supper and breakfast, then like 8, since I stayed up late)
                              Satisfaction level w/ meals: 10 - deer chili and sour cream, yum!
                              Struggles today w/ Primal efforts: Making time for regular aerobic exercises (i.e., walking) is going to be a challenge until we really get it incorporated into our routine.
                              Benefits noticed from Primal efforts: Standing at work most of the day now and I don't even think about it. A year ago that would have been impossible for me to do and almost as hard to even imagine.
                              Daily highlight: Weight below 200 for the first time in at least five years. Hooray!
                              Daily needs-to-improve: More walking, more often. We're committed - we'll get there!
                              --
                              Jeff Herron
                              jeff.herron@gmail.com

~ Leopold Kohr

Comment

Working...
                              X