No announcement yet.

From Sick to Fit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I found a good resource for me to start with, The Beginner Body Weight Routine at Nerd Fitness. It's for people like me who are starting at 0 on a scale of 1-10. I also found a good resource there for how to get to the point of doing a single pull up. That one had stumped me because I can't budge an inch so how in the world will I "improve" if I can't get the movement on?!

I feel as if I've made a shift in my thinking. For the last year I was focused on cleaning up my diet and improving health markers, losing fat. The diet now is 99% good, though I've not been losing lately. I'm feeling an intuitive desire to build up muscle strength. Plus I still need to melt more fat. In my younger years, before my metabolism went wonky, I always lost weight in the spring and summer naturally. Probably from being outdoors more, moving more, and generally having more fun. I used to play USSSA women's softball, volleyball, coach youth softball and soccer, swim often, dance more... so all of that activity added up! I can't wait until nicer weather so I can ride my bike, hit the trails, and swim in the lakes.
    There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
    Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

Comment

Hi Cave Woman, no, I haven't downloaded his e book... what an ignoramous I am! I'll do that this morning. We lost our power twice, but not for very long. We have a generator and propane furnace and stove, so it's not too bad when the power goes out. I live near the Stilliguamish River and it is going to flood before this is all over. Sandbagging, now there's a good workout! Thanks for stopping by, I will drop by your place too. I like having the support and accountability.
      There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
      Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

Comment

Today's plan: Not hungry this morning so skipping food. Hot and sour soup in the grokpot for later. 6 yr old grandgirl coming with her papa to hook up my Wii, then she and I will play while her daddy works on his brakes in our shop (the ultimate man cave!). Last week I finished reading The Gnoll's Credo, and started reading The Game of Thrones. Next on my reading list is The Hunger Games, which a sister has the collection so I can borrow for free. Planning on a sister's night getaway in the next few weeks, we will be going to see the movie "One for the Money" because we are huge Janet Evanovitch fans! I love my sisters, love a good book, and a good belly laugh! just wish I could convince my sis' of the benefits of changing their diets. I've learned to not push the issue anymore, they don't think I see the eye rolling body language, but I got the message loud and clear. Quietly setting an example and hoping they see the light.

Comment

Originally posted by GoLisaGo View Post
          Quietly setting an example and hoping they see the light.
          It is the best way to convince anyone. I'm hoping to become a good example myself.
          I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened. ― Mark Twain

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

Comment

Me too! to what ya'll said!! I'm hoping my brother, MIL, & maybe hubby will see the positive changes & decide to invesitgate further.
            We can only do so much talking...if they won't listen oh well!
            Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

I worked until 7 tonight so decided to skip dinner since it was so late, and because I ate a handful of Tim's Cascade Potato chips. Damnit.

Comment

I was just reading in another thread about carb cycling and muscle building. I'd heard of this before, but didn't really understand what was behind it. I have a better understanding now, and think I should be upping my carbs on my workout days, and lowering the fat. Then do the opposite on my rest days. I did some good workouts last weekend, and I've felt more sore each passing day. I'll try cycling in some carbs on those workout days and seeing if that helps. Although, the soreness seems to be in my joints instead of muscle, so there could be something else at play.

Comment

Living Small

Having downsized into a 500 sqft living space has not posed too many challenges. I have the things I need, a place to sleep, cook, toilet. Something I would like is a small sofa that makes into a small bed, so the grands can come and spend the night. Having searched for the perfect arrangement, I'm not finding anything that functions in a way I need and still fits within the small footprint. So, I'm just gonna have to make it. Costco has a small fold up mat that I'm going to incorporate into a window seat loveseat. Not that I need another project! We still haven't hooked up the bathroom sink, or figured out a way to do laundry. Plus, spring is just around the corner and I'm thinking of chicken coops, raised bed gardens and apple trees. Should I or shouldn't I get a couple goats?

On another front: I read an interesting article in ScienceDaily about grehlin receptor study that is intriguing. I wondered when our little friend grehlin would pop up again. When it comes to being fat or thin, all those pesky hormones are at play. What I wanna know is if I should try and get my hands on some of that cabergoline (read here how it induced anorexia in mice Appetite accomplice: Ghrelin receptor alters dopamine signaling

Comment

StarDate: January 28, 2012

Today is my mother's birthday. She died 21 years ago, enter hospital on Mother's Day 1991 and slipped into the beyond not long after. She was in her 58th year. So this day is bittersweet for me. My mother died early, in part I believe, because of the SAD diet she followed and the handful of pharmaceuticals that were pushed on her in the decade before her death. I am just 4 years away from her age when she died. I know that I am so much healthier than she was at my age, and am confident that I will grow old enough to see my grandchildren grow up. Indeed, they will be keeping up with this gramma!

On the primal challenge front, I have been doing OK. Could be better. I have neither gained nor lost any weight. The worst transgressions this week were a tiny bag of potato chips, and some dark chocolate. Not that dark chocolate is that bad, but the quantity I had was more than it should have been. I have not worked out since last weekend, but will be getting in a session tomorrow. I am going to try two things differently: 1) start with heaviest possible weight, very slow movement, decreasing weight each rep. and 2) eat a little more carbs in the meal after workout.

Comment

Oh Lisa...I am so sorry for the loss of your mom. May happy memories get you thru the day. I'm sure she would be very proud of the steps you are taking to regain your health.

Good luck on your new goals! Isn't it great that we can "tweak" things to better suit our needs? Tomorrow I am going to step up the "moving slowly" part of my primal life. I think that will help a lot.

Have a wonderful day!!
                      Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

Hi Lisa, I'm here from the OptimalHealthCave. It sounds like you're doing well with the exercise. No soreness is a sign of leptin sensitivity, so that's great.
                        As far as chocolate, do you have a Cost Plus World Market near you? They have their own brand of chocolate bars, and there's one that is 99% cacao. It has only 2 gms of added sugar for the whole 3oz. bar (28gm total carbs, 14 of that is fiber). And it tastes good, too. When you're not used to eating sugar, this chocolate is great. I've even gotten my husband eating it, which is a feat considering he's eating SAD. I'm slowly converting him.

Comment

aha! here you is

just read what you posted about your mum, mine also died at the age of 58. After years of successfully battling MS she was felled by pancreatic cancer and the real frustration of it all was that they really can`t explain why pancreatic cancer happens just that it does.

I`m hoping that like you I can heal myself and surpass the age of 58

Comment

Hello gang! Thanks for stopping by!

@ Owl, no World Market nearby, but I do try and always get the darkest chocolate 85%+ even if I end up paying a small fortune for it. Plus, I make cocoa crack with dark cocoa powder. The main problem is the candy dish at work, which has mini almond joy bars, peanut butter cups, etc... usually I can ignore it but every now and then it captures my attention.
                            @maile, 58 is just too darn young. Really, it's been 21 years, but when I think about her it seems like yesterday. {{{HUG to you for your mum}}}

Stardate: 1/29/12

Last night I did my slooooooooooow movement workout, squats done in slow motion and held for a count of four, and band work for the upper half. I'll tell ya, it made a huge difference just slowing the movement down. My legs were like jello afterwards. I had a nice post workout snack of baked apple with walnut chunks, cinnamon, vanilla stevia, and a healthy spoonful of greek yogurt. My pre workout meal was a BAS with taco meat and avocado.

Work is progressing on the bungalow. We have some helpers out this weekend to help build a small covered deck. While it's not a necessity, a covered area to step into out of the weather is something I do want in my life. Expanding from there, I plan to incorporate an outdoor cooking area and raised bed gardens. Can't wait for fresh herbs & veggies from my garden! Still pondering the idea of a small chicken coop, and whether I want to put that much effort & commitment into it. I love the idea of having fresh eggs, but knowing chickens would need attention daily makes me hesitate. Until I get a firm "Yes" from the Universe on that issue, I think I'll keep it on the back burner.

Comment

[QUOTE=GoLisaGo;691262]I think I found a good resource for me to start with, The Beginner Body Weight Routine at Nerd Fitness. It's for people like me who are starting at 0 on a scale of 1-10. I also found a good resource there for how to get to the point of doing a single pull up. That one had stumped me because I can't budge an inch so how in the world will I "improve" if I can't get the movement on?!

Thanks for pointing out Nerd Fitness! The title alone sounds like it's just my kind of option :-) Right now their site is down, but I am definitely going to investigate that pull-up resource. I, too, would love to manage even just one pull-up but am still sooooo far from that goal. And Mark's e-book is a very helpful tool, as well.

There are so many theories and plans out there on why/how to loose fat/gain muscle, but I think you surely are onto something when you say you're feeling an intuitive desire to build up muscle strength. Sounds very primal to me to be listening to your body! Good luck and see you at the monkey bars :-)
                              My Journal 60 Is the New 40 (more musings, less stats) --
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46274.html

Comment

Your welcome Marianne, I found it through a link on an MDA blog. And thanks for coming by my little corner!

Well, I didn't plan it, but today was the day I incorporated sprints into my weekly routine. Instead of picking up the mail as I drive in, I parked and walked the 60 or so feet to the mailbox. It rises in elevation, so there is an extra oomph involved. At the bottom of the hill, I decided I should try and sprint up it. So I did, three times, walking on the return. Wimpy, but ya gotta start somewhere. My plan is to start by mastering my hill, working up to maybe 10 (?) times and also find some "fun" places to practice sprinting when the weather gets a little better. I'm thinking sandy beach or hiking on some of the awesome wooded trails nearby.

Comment

Working...
                                X