My Primal Challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Primal Challenge

I know the Primal Blueprint works. I've done it a couple times for a week or two and began to see results quickly both times. Problem was, I didn't have my family bought in and come mealtime sooner or later I'd eat what everyone else was having.

Now I've decided to do it different. I'm going to buy the food and cook. I will control all the meals and ensure it's good for you stuff.

OK, so I haven't cooked much before.

I figure it has the right ingredients, it has to be better than the Standard American Diet right?

I'll post and track my progress here for anyone and everyone to see (and hopefully help) how I'm doing. I'll put in exercise, meals and how I feel that day. Just like a blog.

Here's where I'm starting:

46 yr old male
    5'4"
    176 lbs
    40" waist

Averaging over several websites, my bodyfat is about 30%

Those same websites say 15% is healthy.... I figure 10% is a better target. I know, there are a lot of people around this website much better than that, but I'll just go for 10%

Doing the math, (20% of 176) I have to lose 35lbs of fat I really didn't think I was that far gone...
    Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
    CW 163
    GW 155

My Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45618.html

My eating yesterday, I did no exercise:

B - 3 egg (free range omega 3) omlett with red,orange, yellow bell peppers and some tomato

L - big ass salad with grilled chicken

S - macadamia nuts

D - Nitrate free spicy italian sausage with some grilled onions and colored bell peppers (my wife cooked this)
    Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
    CW 163
    GW 155

My Journal

Comment

Welcome! Day one looks great - just make sure you're eating enough and getting enough fat

what kind of dressing do you use on your salads? commercially prepared dressings have PUFA oil of death in them ... I make mine from the seven seasons italian dressing mix and make it with cider vinegar, half almond oil and half olive oil and it's delicious and much more primal

Comment

Congrats on making a commitment - love the breakfast omlette, simple but tasty!
        Buzz71
        Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
        Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
        Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
        My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Comment

Thanks Buzz and Mikki!

I used a cajun rub on the chicken and then vinaigrette and olive oil as dressing. Yours sounds delicious. What's PUFA?

This is great, I don't think I've ever had anyone tell me to eat more fat

Funny side note. I googled vinaigrette to check spelling and McDonalds was the first sponsored listing!
          Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
          CW 163
          GW 155

My Journal

Comment

Hi! I'm new and just started a journal today too. Best of luck to you. I think you are wise to start buying and prepping your own food. It is amazing how quickly cooking can be picked up... and it really is a pleasure. Warm regards, L

Comment

Here's my eating for today:

B - 3 egg swiss chard omlette.
              I was told chard would reduce like spinach, but when I put it in a pan with olive oil, it turned crispy like a chip. My wife suggested I turn the heat down and cover it. That did the trick!

L - 1/2 a spaghetti squash (10min in pressure cooker) and hamburger/tomato sauce topping.

S - handful of nuts

D - Wife made porkchops with chipotle and roasted red pepper sauce with steamed cauliflower and broccoli on the side. Delicious!

Thinking about a glass of merlot now...
              Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
              CW 163
              GW 155

My Journal

Comment

Exercise

It's winter in Chicago and I don't like the cold so I'm doing P90X2. I preordered it in September and it arrived just in time for the holidays! This will get me through to spring.

I did the original P90X a couple years ago and didn't follow the diet plan. I became pretty fit, but didn't lose any fat. I've learned on this site that diet is 80% of the equation and I believe it.

Now I've gone Primal and will do P90X2. We'll see what the results that gets me.

I've done 3 workouts so far and will do yoga today. (I know Grok didn't have a yoga mat, but I don't think I'm as limber as he was!)

Some of the veteran P90Xers are complaining they don't get the "same pump," and are going to the gym to lift weights so they don't lose anything...

I kinda like the first phase of X2. They say it's establishing a foundation (I'm sure the pump will come later). The moves are based more on instability and balance. It's hard to pump big heavy reps when you're bent over standing on one leg or balanced on a stability ball! I like the way it forces me to use a lot of my body at once instead of just focusing on biceps for instance. Seems more natural and athletic to me.

And I'm not as sore as I was last time. After the first workout a couple years ago I was nauseaus. It reminded me of the first wek of football practice when I was a kid when everyone was hot and dehydrated.

My diet has been perfect since Sunday (New Year's Day). No sugar, grain of any kind or fruit. We'll see if I have to begin eating carbs to support the workouts as I go. I know I have plenty of stored energy waiting to be used first
                Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
                CW 163
                GW 155

My Journal

Comment

US News Does Not Recommend Paleo

Top-Rated Diets Overall | US News Best Diets

At least it made the list.

All I can say to their evaluation is if my health isn't worth my time, what is?

Here's what they said:

Paleo Diet

(2.0 out of 5.0)

Experts took issue with the diet on every measure. Regardless of the goal—weight loss, heart health, or finding a diet that’s easy to follow—most experts concluded that it would be better for dieters to look elsewhere. “A true Paleo diet might be a great option: very lean, pure meats, lots of wild plants,” said one expert—quickly adding, however, that duplicating such a regimen in modern times would be difficult.
                  Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
                  CW 163
                  GW 155

My Journal

Comment

US News Diet Rankings

They didn't like Paleo, that's for sure. Seems convenience is a high priority for them

I won't speak for anyone else, but if I can't make time for my health, I'm tossing the dice...

Top-Rated Diets Overall | US News Best Diets

Here's what they said:

Paleo Diet

(2.0 out of 5.0)

Experts took issue with the diet on every measure. Regardless of the goal—weight loss, heart health, or finding a diet that’s easy to follow—most experts concluded that it would be better for dieters to look elsewhere. “A true Paleo diet might be a great option: very lean, pure meats, lots of wild plants,” said one expert—quickly adding, however, that duplicating such a regimen in modern times would be difficult.
                    Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
                    CW 163
                    GW 155

My Journal

Comment

Today's Nutrition

B - a little leftover sausage and mixed peppers, a small sweet potato, some nuts and a cheese stick.
                      I was scrounging around for odds and ends and don't think I ate enough.

L- Mixed greens salad with grilled chicken. (hold the croutons!)
                      I ate out and this was the best option. I'm sure nothing was organic...

S - another handful of nuts

D - ground beef tacos using lettuce leaves.
                      85% lean grass fed from Whole Foods.
                      Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
                      CW 163
                      GW 155

My Journal

Comment

My wife had been coming down with a cold. She's on a calorie restricted diet and has been coming home STARVING everyday.

I've been energetic

So the last couple days I've been juicing her chard, kale, carrots, apple and tomato. Then making sure she gets a good meat dish (with some fat on it) for dinner.

She's feeling much better now

Footnote:

I've been drinking the juice with her and it's the only fruit/sugar I've had since Sunday night (New Year's Eve)

ahem, well, I did have two glasses of merlot the other night....
                        Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
                        CW 163
                        GW 155

My Journal

Comment

I'm down 5 1/2 lbs since Sunday!

Each of the 1st 4 days my weight was down each day.

I pigged out on the gound beef lettuce tacos last night and was worried I would be up today, but was the same as weight as yesterday.
                          Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
                          CW 163
                          GW 155

My Journal

Comment

Weight leveled off the last couple days at 171. I still feel great and have not gone hungry!

My wife is calorie countin on myfitnesspal and comes home from work starving.... She openly admits she likes her carbs and thinks she should be able to enjoy them responsibly.

We'll see who's got better results after 2 weeks.

Food Yesterday:

B - 4 egg omlette (2 were conventional) mixed bell peppers, onion, mushroom and tomato

L - Big ass baby spinach salad w mixed bell peppers, tomato, onion and grilled chicken breast. Balsamic vinager and olive oil to top it off. No PUFA's!

S - handful of nuts

D - 2 small tilapia fillets with a veggie

Alcohol: 2 shots of tequila and 2 glasses of Merlot
                            Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
                            CW 163
                            GW 155

My Journal

Comment

My Mother in Law is a Saint. And she's Mexican. This makes for the death of a primal diet and has derailed me before.... Every time someone has a birthday she cooks their favorite dish and has a party at her house.

Today it's fried taco's, Modelo beer and chocolate cake.

The meat for the tacos is usually pretty good and she has lots of chopped lettuce, tomato salsa, etc. The trouble comes in when she wraps it all in a tortilla, fries it and serves it with sour cream, cheese and beer.

It's delicious by the way.

Yes, I am going ove there in a few minutes and here's my plan:

I'm taking lettuce leaves to create the taco wrap and just making the tacos out of that.

I'm skipping the beer and cake. If I have to drink anything, it will be a shot of tequila or a glass of red wine.

Wish me luck!!
                              Last edited by dave155; 01-08-2012, 06:44 PM.
                              Start Date 1/1/12

SW 176
                              CW 163
                              GW 155

My Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X