Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This year is all about my body and my health!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This year is all about my body and my health!

So I stumbled upon MDA at the beginning of December 2011 and everything I read made complete sense. I bought the book, read through it in a matter of a day, perused this site for endless articles, success stories and tips for newbies.

I was stoked that I wouldn't have to give up my beloved red wine and dark chocolate! Yes, this was a selling point for me

My starting date was December 10, 2011. I am 5'8" and weighed in at 159lbs (my body fat scale told me I was at 24%, but I'm not sure how trust worthy that thing is...), placing my BMI at 24.2 (normal range being 18.5-24.9). Let's start out with my initial weight related goals: I wanted to be at 135 again with some lean muscles. This was my happy weight back in 2008/early 2009 - I'd like to fit into those clothes again AND look good in them

The half-assed commitment in December made me drop down to 154lbs on December 22, making it a 5lb loss in 12 days - YAY! Then came the holidays and a small getaway to wine country filled with cheese plates accompanied by baguette and some other grainy monster foods. In general, my diet was about 60% primal in the last week of December. With the new year came my decision to treat my body right, have more energy, get some more fresh air and sun (I'm stuck at a desk inside all day for my job) and to fit into all my beautiful clothes again without muffin top and without fearing to breathe while wearing them!

Yesterday I weighed in at 155lb. This is my starting point for the new year. 20 lbs of useless fat to go! I started using paleotrack to get a better idea of just how much protein, fat, and carbs I am taking in.
    Here is my overview for yesterday. As a disclaimer: I did eat some leftover Chinese, hence a larger calorie count than I am aiming for on a day-to-day basis. No more processed Chinese from now on, I'll cook it all at home in my wok with the coconut oil I just bought!

Jan. 2
    1940 calories
    124g protein
    115g carbs
    109g fat

I am happy with the protein and the fat numbers, just want to get the carbs around 50-100g per day and reduce the overall calories consumed to around 1500 per day.

Short/Medium term goals:
    Walk at least 30 minutes every day. Probably best to do this around 7am instead of sleeping until 8, since it is usually dark by the time I get home from work. Alternatively there is the treadmill at the gym.
    Limit my wine drinking (or the occasional martini) to the weekends.
    Reduce the amount of cheese I am eating (but then again it is pretty much my only source of dairy, so I guess I'll look for the least processed kinds).
    Cook more at home, because I have already noticed that eating out as a primal can suck and you never know what types of additional ingredients they throw in the food that you'd never use at home.

Let me know if you have any advice for this newbie
    25, 5'7" - SW 158 (12/10/11) - CW 153 (01/25/12) - GW 135
    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
    Follow my Journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45509.html

Hi Anna-Banana, welcome! This is the best present you could give to yourself FOR SURE.

You make the comment about cheese being your only dairy and wanting to keep it. You don't actually NEED dairy. Take a look at Mark's Definitive Guide to Dairy on his blog page and you can read more about it. If you are aiming to lose weight, a lot of us cut out fruit and dairy for a while until we get closer to our goal. Just something to look at as you progress.

You're already well on your way to your goal! Are you incorporating the LHT (Lift Heavy Things) into your schedule?
    “It's a lifestyle--train like there's no finish line".

Army Officer by day.
    Practicing Crossfitter, Yogi, Chef and Hiker by night.

Comment

Hi Anna-Banana!

Welcome from another newbie who loves chocolate and red wine! I am also at about 24% BMI.

It looks like you are on the right track to me. I don't want to micro-manage my intake too much - I don't want to stop in the middle of cooking and input my ingredients. But I know it works very well for some people. I am doing only veggies, meat, a few nuts, coconut, etc. no grains or starches, and no fruits at the moment. (Though I do have some lovely berries in the freezer.) I am still going to have a bit of cheese, some dark chocolate and a glass of red wine every few days. If I lose weight doing that I will be fine. Only if I stop losing will I fine tune then. I just know if I am too strict I will fail. Some folks need a more structured approach. We are all a bit different.

I look forward to seeing you here as we journey through this new adventure!
      “I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened.” ― Mark Twain

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

Comment

Hi Cassanina,

Thanks for the welcoming words! Looks like you've accomplished quite a bit on your journey already. I did read the dairy guide and am just not quite ready yet to fully give up cheese - it's just too good. However, I am decreasing my intake and now will only purchase the least processed kinds.

As for LHT, I am starting that this week. I worked out with a personal trainer a few years back so I still know a lot of great work-out routines that can be completed in about 15-20 minutes and engage the whole body. I am aiming for doing LHT twice per week to start and am also doing squats, lunges, push-ups, etc. while I am watching TV :-)
        "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

Comment

Hi Cave Woman,

Thanks for the welcome, glad to meet someone else that is just beginning their journey! I agree with you on the micro-managing, I update my food journal in the evenings on the couch. I generally cook with a manageable amount of ingredients (i.e. bacon and eggs for breakfast), so it's not too difficult to log my intake. I'm sure it'll be more difficult when I go out to eat.

Let's keep in touch and update one another regularly!

Comment

Hey Anna-Banana!

I'll be following your progress and checking in regularly. MDA seems like a great place with lots of friendly, supportive folks. So much great information, too!

Cheers!
            “I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened.” ― Mark Twain

Comment

Hi anna banana!
              (that's my daughter's nickname - she got it when she was only a few hours old )

Welcome to MDA!
              "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
              "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
              "Moderation sucks." Suse
              "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
              "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

Thanks for the welcome winencandy! It was mine ever since I was little, too. My college mascot was a banana slug, that made things even funnier

Comment

What a coinky-dink! My college mascot was a banana slug, too! Kresge back in the late 70s to early 80s.

Comment

Well look at that, fellow banana slug! I was College 9 and just got done with that darn degree in June 2011 loved that campus, great for walking around in the wilderness.

Comment

So far so good. No alcohol on Monday and Tuesday and just 1 glass of red wine last night with my bunless bacon topped burger and side wedge salad - happy!

Using paloetrack has been great and I'm definitely on the right track with my carbs being between 50-100 grams and I'm following Mark's guidelines on how much protein I should be taking in (looking at my lean body mass paired with moderate level activity).

I take two capsules of fish oil every day to ramp up my omega 3 take-in. Nonetheless, I have noticed that my Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio is a little high as I consume quite a bit of poultry for my protein. I am going to incorporate more red meat and fish to get the ratio into a better zone.

Soaked up some beautiful California winter sun yesterday during my lunch break and went for a 30-minute walk. Today it's time for a strength training session and a 30-minute walk again later.

I purchased coconut flour and flaxseed meal on Amazon and can't wait for it to get here so I can make this delicious grain free bread I found online: The Best Grain-Free Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread (In the history of man) | Life As A Plate
                      This will change up my work lunch routine a bit (currently home made salad with veggies and chicken or turkey breast)!

Grok on people!

Comment

Good day, Anna!

That's interesting about the Omega ratios in chicken. I just read about that for the first time yesterday. Who knew?

Mary's Gone Crackers are the best commercial and commonly available flax crackers I've found. Very good tasting, and nice and crunchy.

My neighbor has just gone gluten free and is experimenting with lots of recipes. Shes had some luck and some failures, but once you find some faves its great to keep making those. I'm avoiding anything bread-like for now, and don't have cravings for it. I am looking forward to trying a thin pizza crust made of shredded, baked Parmesan cheese. I saw the recipe somewhere on this site. Gotta look for it.

Grok on!

Comment

Looks like you're doing well on your journey!

The bread looks good. I have yet to make any Paleo/Primal breads. I have made biscuits with almond flour, but am trying to minimize how much I eat those now as I really want to kickass at the weight loss. I have a reuniting with my boyfriend (home on his R&R from Afghanistan) end of February, and am going to the Caribbean first week of March, so wanna do the best I can until then. Cut out fruit too, so we'll see if it helps!

Let us know how the baking goes!
                          “It's a lifestyle--train like there's no finish line".

Army Officer by day.
                          Practicing Crossfitter, Yogi, Chef and Hiker by night.

Comment

Thanks for the flaxseed cracker tip, I'll try to locate some. I love a good cheese and charcuterie plate, and some creamy cheeses are just better on a cracker than smeared onto a slice of meat - haha! Poultry is mainly grain fed, hence the higher omega 6 count than with grass fed beef, etc. Makes sense to also not consume too many animals that are on a grain diet. I saw that parmesan crust pizza, too, and am going to try it this weekend while watching football with the boyfriend. We'll see how he likes it!

Cassanina, I agree with you, I am also focusing on loosing weight right now, but wouldn't mind a sandwich at work twice a week. If it turns out well, I'm sure my boyfriend will destroy the rest of it anyway (he is a panini fanatic).
                            I'll let you know how the bread turns out once the ingredients arrive!
                            PS: Jealous about your trip to the Caribbean!

Comment

My boyfriend and I decided to declare today the national pork day. Everything we made had pork in it.
                              Breakfast: Frittata with pancetta, red bell pepper, green onions and a little swiss cheese
                              Lunch: Left over spicy chicken drumsticks wrapped with bacon that I made two nights ago - hand down the best chicken dish I've ever made (see picture)
                              Snack: We made crispy bacon covered in dark chocolate and sprinkled with chopped nuts before the chocolate hardened - what a treat! I love the salty sweet combo of the bacon and the chocolate.
                              Dinner: Mushrooms and deseeded jalapenos stuffed with left-over pulled pork; I wrapped the jalapenos with 1/2 slice of bacon and topped the mushrooms with some crispy pancetta.
                              OINK OINK!

We were lazy today and watched football and lounged around the house. Our plan is to go on our road bikes tomorrow and ride for an hour (not too fast, just a nice ride to get the heart rate going a little). After that we are starting dinner - beanless chili in the slow cooker. You gotta love dumping a bunch of ingredients in a pot and then letting it do it's own thing until dinner time!

Tomorrow is also time to prep some food for the work week. I'm going to boil eggs again for afternoon work snacks, put together some nuts and beef jerky baggies for the same purpose and make a salad for Monday lunch. Filling the fridge on Sunday with primal foods and having my lunch bag ready to go on Mondays really helps overlook the treats at the office!

Time to drink a cup of decaf tea and then hit the hay for some good sleep
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X