Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This year is all about my body and my health!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay, I can finally write in my journal again! I was having some major withdrawals here over the weekend

I guess I won't blabber on about everything in the last 3-4 days and will stick to the most recent stuff. Yesterday was another wonderfully primal day. 3-egg scramble for breakfast (with turkey bacon, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion); tomato basil bisque for lunch (we were at a mall for a few hours and went to a deli - this was one of the few primal options); 2 chicken drumsticks wrapped in bacon for dinner with some tomato and mozzarella.
    Stats:
    Calories: 1610
    Protein: 90g
    Fat: 102g
    Carbs: 59g

Lots of slow moving around the mall yesterday, whereas Saturday was spent lounging around the house with my new Kindle and reading the freshly downloaded "21-Day Challenge" by Mark. Yes, today I am starting the 21-Day challenge. I made this decision as I think it will give me an extra kick in the butt and get me to do the exercising portion a bit more - I'd like to start building some lean muscle. I've always done really well with following instructions and programs, so I think this will be good for me.

For today I am supposed to clear out my pantry of all the bad stuff - something that I have already done a while ago except for the items that my boyfriend continues to consume and those don't really tempt me anymore anyway. I am also supposed to buy some primal food so I don't starve and prepare a large shopping list. Well, I am one step ahead again here as our fridge is filled with organic eggs, turkey and pork bacon, lamb sirloin steaks, chicken drumsticks, frozen shrimp, veggies (cucumbers, red bell peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, onion, carrots, lettuce) and I have a large supply of macadamia nuts and beef jerky to snack on. I've got primal fats in abundance - coconut oil, grass-fed butter, extra virgin olive oil, left-over bacon fate, and sesame oil (for salads). So my only remaining task for my 1st day challenge today is to implement two primal movement sessions - whether it's moving around for 5 minutes for every hour that I sit at work, or go for a 15-minute after dinner walk or a lunch walk, etc. That reminds me, I've been at work a little over an hour, time to roam around the building and walk up and down the stairs a couple of times

Happy Monday everyone! This is the first one that I am very excited about since I get to start the 21-Day Challenge! I weighed in at 153.5 this morning (that was after breakfast - my mistake for not weighing myself on an empty stomach).
    25, 5'7" - SW 158 (12/10/11) - CW 153 (01/25/12) - GW 135
    "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Follow my Journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45509.html

Comment

Hi Anna!! yup...I was going thru journal withdrawals too!!! Glad they got it all fixed up!

You sound like you've been doing great!! The Primal 21 Day challenge was great to just cement in my head what I already knew. I can't do the exercises but did what I could. I think it would also be a good refresher course down the road. I just printed off the daily worksheets so I wouldn't have to write in the book...that way I could go back at a later time & do it again if I wanted.

have a wonderful primal day & keep up the good work!!
      Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

Wine & chocolate vs. Anna - 1:0
        "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Comment

Have fun with the challenge. I'll be following your progress.
          I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened. ― Mark Twain

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

Comment

Thanks primal cajun and cave woman!

Yesterday's food:
            B: 2 hard boiled eggs & 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
            L: Romaine lettuce topped with cucumber, tomato, red bell pepper and canned light tuna in oil
            D: I made grain-free gluten-free pizza crust (Grain-Gluten-Free Primal Pizza Crust | Life As A Plate) and then the boyfriend and I created our own little mini pizzas with that. Mine was topped with mozzarella, salami, sauteed chanterelle mushrooms and shallots, pancetta and a little sprinkle of parmesan on top. It was overall pretty good and extremely filling. All that fat from the almond meal definitely made for a satisfying meal. However, the calories in the crust are a little high for my liking - 960 calories (excluding the toppings!!!) are two thirds of my current daily intake. Thankfully my breakfast and lunch were not that high in calories.

S: 2 glasses red wine, 3 pieces chocolate

I should have moved more yesterday, but it was pouring rain so besides the few walks around the office every 1-2 hours and the quick run to the supermarket in the rain, I didn't move enough. I can change that today since the sun has come out again.

Now to today's Challenges (Day 2):
            Primal Shopping Spree - again, my fridge is busting out with primal foods, so I already accomplished this
            Moderate Duration Aerobic Workout - My plan is to go for a 30-60minute walk (either at lunch or after work)
            Calm, Relaxing Evening - Since it's Valentine's Day, this shouldn't be a problem. We were planning on cooking together at home and then we'll probably whip out the backgammon set and have some music on in the background. Unless the boyfriend gets sneaky and planned something else (this has happened before). Either way, it should be a mellow evening in twosomeness.

I wish you all a wonderful day with your loved ones!

Comment

I'm not exercising enough this week... No primal movements and not much slow moving either. It's been busy at work and I've also been lazy I guess. There will be a big fat hike this weekend to make up for that!
              Yesterday's primal meals:
              B: Skipped it - just had some decaf green tea
              L: I brought a salad to work: mixed baby greens, carrots, red bell pepper, peppered deli turkey, feta cheese, 1 boiled egg and topped off with some crunchy pancetta bits - I used a couple of tbsp of the balsamic vinaigrette from the cafeteria salad station, I hope there's not much else in there besides olive oil and balsamic vinegar...
              D: Massive rib eye steak topped with some garlic parmesan butter and a side of sauteed onions and baby bella mushrooms

Today:
              B: 1 boiled egg, peach oolong tea
              L: Same salad as above with an addition of sauteed chanterelle mushrooms
              D: A girlfriend is coming over and my boyfriend is gone. I'm making the third rib eye from the pack we had, it should be plenty for us to share it and then making some tomato topped with mozzarella. I already know we will split a bottle of red wine and she's also bringing dessert. She knows I am on the primal wagon, so it'll most likely be some high fat cheese cake - yummy!

Comment

I was right about the cheese cake and it was delicious.

Today I had a small apple and an orange for breakfast, I have craving some acidity, so I figured it's a good idea to listen to my body. I'm going for lunch with my boss today - luckily we live in California where every restaurant has some healthy options. For dinner we are either making bacon wrapped drumsticks or lam sirloin steaks.

After work I will walk the Stanford Dish and then tomorrow I am going for a hike with a girlfriend at 10am. Those two combined will at least get me to the minimum slow moving of 3 hours for the week and then on Sunday it'll either be another walk or a bike ride.

Time to stop the laziness and do 15 minutes of PEMs at night in front of the TV! Have a good weekend everyone!

Comment

I ended up walking around the neighborhood with my boyfriend yesterday after I came home from work for about 45 minutes. For dinner we made lamb sirloin steaks and caprese. We split a bottle of red wine, I had a piece of dark truffle chocolate for dessert and a small amount of port wine.

Today I went for a 2-hour slow hike (with some steep inclines that left us rather breathless) with a girlfriend. Before that I had a boiled egg and a couple of macadamia nuts for breakfast. I got hungry after the hike, so I made a salad: mixed greens, carrots, red bell pepper, cucumber, and turkey deli meat topped with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. For tonight I just popped a bunch of chicken drumsticks (seasoned with chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, dried thyme and parsley, and salt and pepper) into the slow cooker on a bed of thick sliced onions. The onions will prevent the drumsticks from laying in their own juices and hence they should crunch up nicely. This will cook now for about 6-7 hours. A girlfriend from out of town is coming over this afternoon to highlight my hair and she'll spend the night so I don't have to worry about dinner anymore and we'll probably go out for a drink or two later tonight - I will try to stick with red wine!!!

Alright, I'm off to do some primal movements now and then read a book on the couch.

Comment

It sounds like you are doing it right, Anna-Banana. I don't know how you full time workers get in enough exercise! Scheduling has never been my strong suit but I'm having to do it now!
                    I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened. ― Mark Twain

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

Comment

Cave Woman, it is definitely hard to schedule in the exercise, I am lucky that I work from home 40% of the time and can then easily slip out for a 1-hour walk at any given time during the day (unless I have conference calls )

The weekends are certainly my main time to get in the slow moving. My 2-hour hike on Saturday left my calves and glutes sore yesterday and today. I love feeling that I worked my muscles, there were definitely some steep hills that I conquered.

Food yesterday:
                      B: 6" steak egg and cheese sandwich from Subway - yes, I cheated and had bread. It didn't taste as good as it used to, so I think I can quit Subway for good now. I only ate about half of the bread.
                      L: Spicy seafood soup at a Mexican restaurant - awesome! Yummy tomato chili broth with scallops, octopus, white fish, baby shrimp, etc. I couldn't finish the whole bowl, so the leftovers will be my lunch today.
                      D: I had thrown a bunch of spicy seasoned chicken in the slow cooker on a bed of onions on Saturday and then pulled all the meat of the bones on Sunday and threw it along with the onions and some organic colored carrots and celery into chicken soup and it made a delicious spicy chicken soup (see photo below).

Today I had a chicken patty for breakfast topped with a slice of turkey bacon and two fried eggs. Seafood soup leftovers now and then we'll see what we want for dinner - we went to CostCo yesterday and stuffed the fridge with lots of primal goodies. After lunch I'm going for a walk or hike.

photo.jpg

Comment

oh anna!!! that looks sooooo yummmmm!!!! great pic!!
                        Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

We ended up having a meat & cheese plate for dinner last night with some macadamias and sliced pear. I went for a 40-minute walk in the nearby park and discovered pull-up bars, which is great since that was the only PEM that I couldn't do at home. Ended up doing 14 assisted leg pull-ups - yep those arms are pretty weak haha. Will make that park my main walk 3 times a week so I get on those bars!

Today I had a chicken patty again for breakfast topped with two fried eggs. No lunch, I went to happy hour with a friend at 4pm. I had 6 raw oysters, a bowl of steamed mussels in white wine/cream sauce with some fingerling potatoes and I also tried a small slice of the thin-crust pizza my friend ordered as well as a couple of spoonfuls of the mac & cheese. The seafood tasted much better than the grain loaded dishes! I also had two cocktails - a spicy margarita (light on the agave syrup) and a gin cocktail with lemon juice and topped off with champagne. Now I'm full, slightly uncomfortably full and wish I had moved more today but it's pitch black outside. Maybe I'll go do some planks in front of the TV.

Comment

Good Job on the Pullups!

Originally posted by anna-banana View Post
                            We ended up having a meat & cheese plate for dinner last night with some macadamias and sliced pear. I went for a 40-minute walk in the nearby park and discovered pull-up bars, which is great since that was the only PEM that I couldn't do at home. Ended up doing 14 assisted leg pull-ups - yep those arms are pretty weak haha. Will make that park my main walk 3 times a week so I get on those bars!

Today I had a chicken patty again for breakfast topped with two fried eggs. No lunch, I went to happy hour with a friend at 4pm. I had 6 raw oysters, a bowl of steamed mussels in white wine/cream sauce with some fingerling potatoes and I also tried a small slice of the thin-crust pizza my friend ordered as well as a couple of spoonfuls of the mac & cheese. The seafood tasted much better than the grain loaded dishes! I also had two cocktails - a spicy margarita (light on the agave syrup) and a gin cocktail with lemon juice and topped off with champagne. Now I'm full, slightly uncomfortably full and wish I had moved more today but it's pitch black outside. Maybe I'll go do some planks in front of the TV.
                            Hi Anna!
                            I just want to congratulate you on finding a park with the pullup bars! That's FANTASTIC!
                            I bought a pullup bar from Walgreens ($20) about a month ago that we've been using every day. I can't do a real pullup yet either, no worries: I can do what I call a "falldown". I jump up to hold myself above the bar, and resist the whole way down. I'm gravitationally challenged for now, but I'm going slower and slower on my way down! By the time I've done 4 of those, my shoulders are on FIRE!
                            My sons are also jumping up to the bar to hang on it on their way by, so It's getting used!
                            Congratulations again, you're doing great!
                            Cheers!
                            48, 5'11" - SW 301 (01/08/12) - CW 217.5 (5/14/13) - GW 185 +2.6% this week. -27.7% total. -83.5 lbs. (so far!)

"Today when you mention "barbeque" people will think about throwing a hotdog or a couple burgers on the grill. But if you invite me to a "barbeque" and there's not some sort of slow-smoked meat involved, I'll hope you step on a Lego." - Instructables.com member Javin007

Comment

Aaaaaahhhh this week is so not primal. I keep slipping up and cheating - ugh! Yesterday it was having two small slices of thin-crust pizza and too much alcohol, today it was a cupcake at work.... hrmph... No side effects so at least that's good. Time to "punish" myself with a long long long walk

That cupcake filled me up so much that besides it I've only had a boiled egg so far today. I'll have a primal dinner tonight and hopefully the low meal consumption will make up for the darn frosted grain monster.

Comment

Great to see how you are going Anna! I have given up on my journal (ha!) but going great with weight loss etc. Lost ~7kgs (15 pounds) since I began 50 days ago. AWW YEH! Keep it up! those cheat meals are sometimes needed but just get back on the horse and get going again

My Journal in Paleo Eating

Comment

Working...
                                X