Writing on the Cave Wall - Cave Woman's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Lisa!
    Thank you so much for checking in on me. I'm still here and doing great! I just started a new job and have been swamped. Our town's big winter carnival was last weekend and took all of my time. Plus I am still running my own business. Good thing the new job is temporary! I barely have time to keep up with a few of your journals! I posted a few cryptic comments here and there, but not much.

I am still primal and loving it. I just stepped on the scale and am down another two pounds since Monday! 14 pounds since Christmas! PB is amazing!!! Some IF, depending upon when I'm hungry. But I have chocolate everyday, and don't feel deprived. I've been carrying a few (and later, more than a few) extra pounds since college. I wish I'd known how easy this was back then.

Things should get back to normal as I figure out how to have a job, after more than 20 years of working for myself at home, and still figure out how to fit everything else in.

Again, thanks for checking in on me. I'll pop over to your journal and see what's up with you.
    Last edited by Cave Woman; 02-09-2012, 08:21 PM.
    I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened. ― Mark Twain

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

Comment

Well, I can certainly identify with that. A few years back, the spouse and I closed down a manufacturing business we'd been operating for 12 years. Our shop was on our property and I only had to walk down the drive to get to work. When the economy tanked and I saw the writing on the wall, we both secured outside jobs while finishing up our business jobs and shutting down. It was a very hectic time! I just started a new job last November, and the commute is farther (28 miles) but I really like the job. Now that I have a few months in and have gotten into the swing of it, life has gotten much easier. Glad to hear that you are doing OK. I saw some silence on your journal wanted to check in with you.
      There's a crack inside of everything, that's how the light gets in. ~Leonard Cohen
      Journal, From Sick to Fit: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45653.html

Comment

Hey Cave Woman!! I too was beginning to wonder about you!!! Glad you're doing ok & that's fantastic on losing the 14 pounds!!! I'm just loving this primal thing!!!
        Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

I think I like reading everyone elses' journals more than I like writing in my own. I sure missed everyone during the evil dark time this weekend. Funny how it seems so long when you don't see cyber friends for a few days, but a few weeks can easily pass without seeing real time friends and it seems normal. Time definitely passes differently in different worlds. Everybody sing: Lets do the time warp again!!!

So I have been mostly primal this past week. I am working a new, full time job as well as running my own business (it's pretty slow right now, but still...). I'm used to working at home, eating when I want, taking time out for a long walk or other exercise whenever I want. Now that I'm working in an office I have to remember to work everything in on a schedule. This is so not me! I have to remember to have primal food around at work as well as at home. I'm getting more used to it, but sometimes I forget.

On Sunday I ate a SANDWICH! I know, I know. I was on my way to work (did I mention that I'm working every day for a while?) when I realized I was STARVING! I haven't felt this way too often on PB, but I have not been sleeping well and have been indulging in the dreaded/adored coffee. I stopped by the store and got an egg salad sandwich and a chocolate marzipan bar. I wolfed down the sandwich and immediately felt better. Oh, that dangerous and wonderful moment right after consuming carbs! I knew I would crash, but I had protein and veggies around for that eventuality. I nibbled on the marzipan bar (heaven!) throughout the day. At the end of the day I stopped to reflect - no tummy ache! No cough (wheat makes me cough almost immediately), and I never crashed. I wasn't cranky - I didn't even try to pick a fight with the Caveman. The next day I had no puffiness, no swollen eyes, no rings too tight, no lethargy. I didn't retain an ounce of water. What's up with that? Wow!

I don't plan on repeating this little experiment, well, except for the marzipan in dark chocolate, but I was flabbergasted by my lack of response to all those carbs. Is my body healing that quickly in just these seven weeks of living primally? I'm embarrassed for all the years I have treated it so badly, eating mounds of sugar, carloads of carbs, abusing it with mile after mile of chronic cardio. After all this abuse, it has the grace to heal, to treat me well, and to ignore this latest transgression. I am humbled and amazed.

I might have to pick up another one of those marzipan bars on my way out of town today...
          I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened. ― Mark Twain

Comment

Oooooh, I love marzipan! In Germany (where I grew up), it is everywhere, especially around Christmas time. They have these "marzipan potatoes", which are little balls of marzipan and they are dusted with some powder that gives them the hue of potatoes - they are sinfully good!

I'm glad to hear that the sando didn't cause you any discomfort! I've noticed that certain non-primal things that I've cheated with didn't bother me at all whereas others (even in the tiniest doses) screwed me up for a couple of days... I guess everyone is different and reacts differently to certain foods. I really like egg salad, so I've been making it at home (even make my own mayo with olive oil) and wrapping it in lettuce leaves -yum!
            25, 5'7" - SW 158 (12/10/11) - CW 153 (01/25/12) - GW 135
            "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
            Follow my Journey: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45509.html

Comment

Hey Cave Woman! I agree about 'the evil dark time'! I was so lost not being able to check in with everyone! I always read my 'fave' journals...even tho I may not comment...so I missed everyone!!

Congrats on making it thru the the "oops" of eating the sandwich! I agree with Anna, I have cheated with sugar & not had much of an effect...but bread? Certain chinese foods? I puff up like a one of them puffer fishes!! boo hiss lol

Its all a learning process...discovering which foods our poor bodies will tolerate & won't. Right now I'm trying to not confuse it to much. But damn is it hard sometimes!!!

have a great Primal day!!

Comment

I'm just popping in here to say that I will be following your journal! You started at a similar place to where I am now. I'm 144 this morning at 5'2" and ugh, that's the heaviest I've been in a long time.

Comment

Hey Cave Woman!! Where are you? What's going on? Come back & play with us ok??? Miss you!

{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Comment

Here I am!! Here I am!! I am just working so darned much with my own business and this temporary full time job that I don't have the energy to post very often. But I love keeping up with you all!!!

You can read about my week with Debauchery on Gay Panda's blog. She was here, and quite the task master, but she seems to have left and I am just a pound (temporarily) heavier. My fingers are so svelt these days that I lost my favorite ring! It just slipped off somewhere, and I haven't yet found it. It was beautiful, but very inexpensive, as I got it at a wholesale trade fair. I am a silversmith and should really wear the ones I make. But I did like this one.
                    Last edited by Cave Woman; 02-18-2012, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• Welcome, Olehcat!! There are a bunch of us shorties around here, some very funny writing, and some good advice. Thank you for following me - I hope I can keep you entertained and perhaps inspired.

I recommend following:
                      ThePrimalCajun
                      Ottercat
                      WinenCandy
                      GoLisaGo
                      Momma Grok
                      and, of course, the one, the only, the great Gay Panda.

Do you have a journal here?

Comment

• ahhh there you are!! Yes I read about your visit from Debauchery over in GP's journal. Glad that she didn't do to much damage!

what an interesting job being a silversmith must be! and very creative! And I'm sorry that you lost the ring but how exciting that your fingers are getting so skinny!! You will have to start 'taking in' your rings! lol

have a good evening!

Comment

• I hate "taking in" rings. I'll just have to make some new, smaller ones!

Comment

• Here is an excellent article on wheat and the many ways it makes you fat. He discusses how wheat has changed and the chemicals that modern wheat possesses that are addictive and disruptive to our systems. The author also mentions that all the "gluten free" replacement foods are junk - processed and full of chemicals.

Check it out: Mark Hyman, MD: Three Hidden Ways Wheat Makes You Fat

Comment

• Originally posted by Cave Woman View Post
                              Welcome, Olehcat!! There are a bunch of us shorties around here, some very funny writing, and some good advice. Thank you for following me - I hope I can keep you entertained and perhaps inspired.

I recommend following:
                              ThePrimalCajun
                              Ottercat
                              WinenCandy
                              GoLisaGo
                              Momma Grok
                              and, of course, the one, the only, the great Gay Panda.

Do you have a journal here?
                              O my goodness! Thank you!!!

Yes, I just started a journal yesterday:
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread48670.html

Thank you so much for that list of people to follow! That is really helpful -- I've been wandering, sort of lost, because while I have a nice three-day weekend to browse the site, normally I need to streamline my internet reading, so having the right threads subscribed to will definitely help!

Comment

• It's been far too long. I don't know how people who work full time away from home get things done! My temporary job is over and it is time to get back to posting! Thank you, PrimalCajun, for the kick in the butt I needed!

I have worked at home for 20 years (when I'm not on the road) and am used to having a good dinner on the stove while I work in my studio. I kept this up for the first few weeks of my job, but gradually time for shopping, cooking, and exercise seemed to disappear. I had too much wine each night after work, too much ice cream, and the occasional sandwich during my stint in the workforce. Fortunately, I didn't gain back any of the weight I had lost.

I have been catching up with things at home and mostly eating primal and exercising, but without the accountability of this journal, I don't feel that I am as primal as I could be. So here I am.

Now it's time to catch up with all of your journals.

Comment

Working...
                                X