No announcement yet.

Writing on the Cave Wall - Cave Woman's Journal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's snowshoe was made extra hard by the lovely sunshine and warm temps making the snow mushy. It was a very good workout.

I'm down 2 pounds this first week of the 21 day challenge. Not tons, but I can now button pants that I couldn't even zip up last week. I'm liking this.
    I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened. ― Mark Twain

Writing on the Cave Wall - my Primal Journal

Comment

• Had a cup of tea yesterday morning and was up until the wee hours of the night. Damn this caffeine sensitivity! Fortunately I can sleep as late as I need to, but it does leave me less time for work and study.
      I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened. ― Mark Twain

Comment

• It's just so much more fun posting on other people's journals!

The tidying has taken a back seat for now. Besides needing to work (oh, yeah, that), everything from the living room is piled up in the rest of the house waiting for the carpet layers that were supposed to come Saturday, then Sunday, and now tomorrow. We'll see. But I'm making lemonade out of lemons by using this time to paint the living room a lovely pale yellow. No furniture to protect, and no need to protect the crappy old carpet. Two walls are done so far. Only one more to go. We will continue the color onto 3 more walls in our oddly shaped "great room". It only feels big in this small house because the ceilings are so high.

Today is like a spring day. Sunny and warm with the snow several feet lower than it was just last week.

I can't wait to get back to tidying. I am choking on all the clutter here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cave Woman View Post
          I can't wait to get back to tidying. I am choking on all the clutter here.
          My mother always had a massive clean out before going on holiday because, she said (and she was right), you see the place with fresh eyes when you come back and it's terrible to come back to a mess. She also scratched her head when people decorated or tarted up their homes in order to sell them. What's the point in that, she would ask, why not decorate because you are not moving and enjoy the improvement yourself?

I have to admit, she had a point...
          I like badgers, books and booze, more or less in that order.

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post
            My mother always had a massive clean out before going on holiday because, she said (and she was right), you see the place with fresh eyes when you come back and it's terrible to come back to a mess. She also scratched her head when people decorated or tarted up their homes in order to sell them. What's the point in that, she would ask, why not decorate because you are not moving and enjoy the improvement yourself?

We did some big fix ups before selling a couple of houses. And then scratched our heads, saying "why the hell didn't we do this a couple of years ago when we wanted to, and then could have had the time to enjoy it?".
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• Originally posted by badgergirl View Post

She was definitely right, BG. I remember a friend telling me that years ago. I grew up in a very clean and tidy house. We even had to clean the house before the cleaning lady came. I was always untidy in my room, but comfortable with that. Clean, but messy. My mom has become a hoarder who never cleans. I would clean for days whenever I visited, but I barely made a dent. Very scary. My sister helped her move last year and showed me photos of the hundred bags of stuff they donated. Sitting here I can see the dust and dog hair under the fridge and I am going to lean that as soon as I finish this. Shudder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greensprout View Post
                We did some big fix ups before selling a couple of houses. And then scratched our heads, saying "why the hell didn't we do this a couple of years ago when we wanted to, and then could have had the time to enjoy it?".
                Definitely a good point. I used to love to go to open houses (for the public to see houses for sale, often in new subdivisions) with friends when I was younger looking for inexpensive decorating ideas. They were unlived in and so clean and airy. No clutter. I'll think about those enjoyable spaces as I put my house back together, if the carpet layers ever come, that is.

KonMari speaks to me of my childhood. We had a very comfortable, contemporary house full of Japanese and Danish Modern furniture and decor. I don't have any of those pieces, but I would like to recapture a bit of the comfortable spareness of it.

Comment

• We are at the end of the 21 day challenge, and while I made some progress, I also slid back a bit what with all the food celebrations and birthday stuff in our household these last few weeks. I have benefited from a daily accounting and will continue some of that with a spreadsheet that I have made for myself that includes Primal, personal, work, and study items.

The best thing I have gotten out to this return to the forums is The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and the women here who are making it their own and sharing it their journals. Thanks to all of you. I never wanted to believe that my clutter bothered me or held me back. Now I know different and am working to get rid of it.

Comment

• Today I finished tidying the bedroom. The tops of my two small dressers are clear except for a few beloved things. While I will do more clothes purging as my size decreases, I am so happy with what I've accomplished so far. I find it so easy to keep my drawers neat, folding my laundry KonMari style and fitting everything back in its slot.

I moved onto the hall linens/pantry closet. It is quite small, but boy, was it packed full of stuff! We had tons of plastic containers from yogurt and sour cream. We still have lots, as we find them helpful for freezing stock and sauces. But now there are only enough lids for the containers we have. The lids outlast the containers so we always end up with dozens of extras. And kitchen towels! MIL sends us many lovely packages, and things are always padded with kitchen towels. Most she has gotten at garage sales or has loved and wants us to love. But there were far too many and most we have never used. A whole garbage bag of them is off to the second hand. At first I thought the Cave Man was going to go through the bags and save some, but he stopped himself. My tidying is kind of freaking him out. He's always been the tidy one and I've been the slob. He's not really that tidy, I'm just way worse. Or was . Regardless, I actually had fun doing this. I have found homes for several things that were always out and in the way, like the yummy but dangerously tall bottles of specialty oils and vinegars. Now they are safe but accessible. CM wants to save his collection of pretty but empty olive oil bottles, but I think he may be embarrassed to save them if I tidy up everything else. We shall see.

The office. I still need to tackle the office. Did I mention that I find it intimidating? Perhaps tomorrow, after I warm up with the coat closet.

Comment

• More bags of stuff are leaving the house for either the trash or the 2nd hand shop. I went through the pasta/beans/cereal cupboard thinking I could get rid of lots, but not so much. The others in the house still eat this stuff regularly. But I was able to make enough room to get the huge and rarely used food processor off of the counter. That is a great relief. I cleaned and rearranged the gadget cupboard to make more room for the favorites. And I fixed the toilet in the small bathroom and thoroughly cleaned the floors and walls. Got rid of lots of empty bottles. Some in the house think they will re-fill them from the bulk aisle, but just end up buying new bottles of the same stuff.

I've been listening to Katy Bowman podcasts as I work so I'm studying at the same time. It feels so productive.

I've been going in fits and starts at the office/storage room. The intimidation factor is diminishing. But there is still SO MUCH STUFF!!

Comment

• Some wisdom for today:

Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could;
                        Some blunders and absurdities crept in; Forget them as soon as you can.
                        Tomorrow is a new day; You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. -Ralph Waldo Emerson, writer and philosopher (1803-1882)

Comment

• Yesterday was a weird one in tidying. I had tons of pent up anger. My office is a mess, as it has been a catch-all with a tiny clear space for my work area. Taking everything out of the tiny closet fills the rest of the room so I can't work. I wanted to finish quickly, especially before the Cave Man came home and undid all my discarding. So I got frantic and angry. Not good. Fortunately I got together with friends later in the day to work on a fun and funny project so I came home with mood much improved. Today everyone is gone for the day so the tidying is going steady and feels good again.

Comment

• Wow! 5 hours and the scary half of the office is tidy, my car is full of bags to go to the 2nd hand, and the garbage can is full, full, FULL. It was a big job, but of course I discovered lots of fun things. My mom's mink stole came out of its plastic bin and is now hanging in my closet, awaiting an event. Half finished projects are on to new homes. Books I will never read are at long last freed to find new readers.

The desk is full of easy to deal with piles. I can finally go into the office, shut the door, and work undisturbed. Thank you, Konmari.

Comment

• It's really wonderful, isn't it? I cleaned stuff out of my office last weekend and it has truly been a pleasure to sit down to work each day this week. Everything just sort of felt light snd sparkly even though much of what I had gotten rid of was never actually visible.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by TQD View Post
                                It's really wonderful, isn't it? I cleaned stuff out of my office last weekend and it has truly been a pleasure to sit down to work each day this week. Everything just sort of felt light snd sparkly even though much of what I had gotten rid of was never actually visible.
                                Thanks for stopping by.

It is wonderful! "Light and sparkly" - oh, I hope so! It is amazing how much clearer things are even when much of the clutter was not really visible.

Comment

Working...
                                X