Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An ongoing experiment in a primal family...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think you should be worried about the drinking, unless he's getting drunk a lot. My boyfriend started drinking a lot for a few weeks to manage pain because his medication wasn't working. It was rough, and he knew I wasn't comfortable with it. He stopped on his own and only drinks once a week usually now because he realized it was costly. Men are stubborn. If you've made your stance clear, I think it's best to ignore it as much as possible and let him handle it on his own.
    Depression Lies

Comment

It is not in excess, it has just been a regular thing on weekends. He was talking pretty big about how much weight he is going to lose once we go to 30 days of strict paleo to clean our bodies out, and it just seemed like he hadnt fully committed to it. I am trying to lead by example and show him that he doesn't have to feel pressured by social situations into drinking. He did agree to cut out any wheat based beer at least. I think you are right about ignoring it, just like with a dog you have to ignore the bad behavior and eventually it will subside.

Also, I have been having some rather unpleasant intestinal side effects from being on antibiotics, so I googled "gas while on paleo" and the consensus is that it could be any nuber of things, so I am just going to ride out the storm so to speak, and eat a little bit of fermented food every day (finally an excuse to eat as much kimchi as i want!)

I am thinking about making lasagna tonight for dinner, but I need to run out and get eggplant to make noodles out, but fortunately all the snow is melted today, so the walk should be pleasant. I simply can't justify driving 8 blocks to the store, especially with the traffic around here.

Also, I am in desperate need of a fast, so nothing but water and tea until dinner.
      *I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.*
      Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Hehe husbands and dogs...just don't let him hear the comparison

Fermented food and probiotics will definitely help with the gas and any other digestive issues, especially when on antibiotics! I think Mark did a few postings within the last few months about this.
        Depression Lies

Comment

Thanks or reminding me about those posts, I went back and read those posts again.

The past few days have been quite a mess, I really fell off the wagon so to speak, not keeping my stress levels in check and just feeling a big emotional in general, which lead to the consumption of a few servings of cacao based products, but I am over it, moved on, and can't really allow myself to dwell on it. I got back on track yesterday with a greek yogurt with an orange and some fresh ginger for lunch, which was heaven on a spoon, plus a piece of coconut baked flounder! And dinner was a pork tenderloin, brussels sprouts, atrichokes, and broccoli smothered in hollandaise sauce. Then some random handfuls of almonds and fruit here and there.

I know some people reccomend limiting fruit intake but I have been craving it more than normal, now that my tastebuds have adjusted to the subtleties of eating all real food, I want to eat a bit of fruit at every meal. Now, I am not trying to lose weight, so I think it is fine, I mean I am not sitting down and eating an entire bunch of bananas in one sitting or anything, but does anyone think that having the 3-5 servings a day could possibly effect my insulin sensitivity? I always strive for balance as opposed to perfection, but it would be helpful if I could get some opinions or similar experiences on the topic.
          Marilyn Monroe

Comment

If your weight is in range and you don't have diabetes/sugar problems, then a piece of fruit is a perfectly natural food that's good for you. Especially if you are moderately active.

Don't focus on your bad behavior either - focus on the good you are doing each day. As time goes on, you will most likely change your taste enough that goodies of the past will loose much of their appeal.

Comment

The Susan G. Komen 3-Day:Thanks for the advice.

My weekend was full of excitement, we bought a smoker for the back yard and my husband cooked up a storm...hey if he wants to be the chef all weekend I wont complain. I have been enjoying big platters of pulled pork, smoked salmon, and bone-in chicken breasts. I have been trying my hand at making home made bbq sauce as well, this weekend I added a bit too much dried chipotle, which for my tastes was good but it had a bit too much kick for D. Also, we went to REI and grabbed some new outdoor gear for this weekend. I desperately needed new hiking boots, especially since we are planning some weekend long hikes this spring, but also because we are going to the mountains in west virginia this weekend. Tubing trails, snowshoeing, x-country skiing, fishing, and all that other fun stuff. The best part is they are letting us bring the puppy, he is almost 70 lbs, which means he has doubled in size since we got him, and will double in size again before he is done growing.

Also, I tried my hand at making coconut flour bread, this time I followed the recipie to the letter and it came out really dense and similar to the texture of cornbread, which went well toasted and covered in with pulled pork. However, next time I am going to add some baking soda to leaven it a little so we get something more similar to actual bread. Now that I have worked with the flour I see it's boundless potential and plan on baking up a storm.

In the dried fruit aisle at Trader Joes I discovered a golden gift from the gods...well not really but it is called "Nothing but bananas flattened out" It is banana jerky, chewy, sweet, portable, and utterly incredible.

Also, I am finally ready for another workout today, I lifted extremely heavy and needed to give my body time to recover. Now, I am not a fitness junkie, but I really like weight lifting. Saturday I added more weight to every exercise I did, and was amazed at the ease of doing powercleans, especially since a few months ago was my first time stepping on to those bumper plates. Now all my training and hiking has a higher purpose though, I will be walking more and more over the next few months (like walking 4 miles to the gym, working out, then walking home) in order to build up my ability to walk for a cause. I just signed up for the Susan G Komen 3-day, 60 mile walk for breast cancer. I would really appreciate any donations toward breast cancer research.

The Susan G. Komen 3-Day:
              Marilyn Monroe

Comment

I walked 12.53 miles today, part of that walk was a little pit stop at the gym to do some lifting, that 60 mile charity walk will be no sweat. after a large part of the day spent moving I came home, heated up a leftover peice of chicken over a huge pile of spinach and some cut up red pepper, grabbed a handful of baby carrots and sat down to relax for a while.

I am making elk tonight, a friend shot one on a hunting trip and gave us some meat, I am not a huge fan of gamey meats but I will give it a try, and have some backup salmon on hand just in case it isnt for me.
                Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Dear muscle soreness,

As much as I enjoy earning you by lifting heavy and challenging myself, I truly believe that you are trying to kill me. Please leave me alone for a while...Its not you, its me!

Sincerely,
                  Michelle

So, once I have the ability to walk again I need to get ready for dinner with my husbands boss tonight. He is trying to sell D his house, which is why we are getting invited over I am sure, but we have only lived here since october and I have no intention of moving again. Either way, we are having sweet potato chili, which is something I can handle eating(hey at least they are not having spaghetti), but either way I am avoiding carbs until then. I am excited to leave for the mountains tomorrow, by saturday my hips/legs/butt should be all better so I can do some hiking, tubing, and x-country skiing.

Since superbowl is sunday I am trying to think of what goodies I can put together to watch the game(go pats!). I was thinking about making my own jalapeno popppers, stuffed with sausage, garlic, onions, greek yogurt and of course a bit of cheese. Then making chicken wings of course, which are my favorite cooked on the charcoal grill. Finally theres guacamole deviled eggs, I'm not even missing out on the typical game-day snacks.

Also, the resturants in our resort might not be the most paleo friendly, so I have a bunch of snacks bagged up, apples, dried fruit, nuts, buffalo jerky, and some protein powder. I wish I could get all the protein I need from food, but I simply cannot eat that volume each day. Anyway, enough with the tangent, I think I can make vacation work, I mean what resturant now-a-days doesnt have a chicken salad on the menu? If not, no big loss, it is a weekend in the mountains with my hubby!

Enjoy your weekend everybody!
                  Marilyn Monroe

Comment

One more thing for the day, D asked if I would make dessert to bring, ideally I wanted to make something where I had all the ingredients on hand...so here is what I found

Low-Sugar Chocolate Chip Cake-Like Scones: Week Of Reviews | What Runs Lori

since I wasnt sure how it would turn out I sampled one....pure heaven, it really does taste like a chocolate chip scone. They will be a perfect dessert served with a big dollop of real whipped cream, which is already chilling in the fridge. I definitely give this recipie 2 thumbs up!!
                    Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Well, I got drunk one night on our trip, I can't wait to return entirely back to normal, but on the plus side I did not seem to mysteriously gain 5 lbs from one night of excessive celebration as I did previously when my diet was poor. Another indulgence I enjoyed was a piece of turtle cheesecake. I thought it would be pretty easy to eat healthy there....I was SO wrong. At the resort our meals were served buffet style, the first night was chicken (breaded in some very strange soggy substance which I peeled off, tossed salad (woohoo!), steamed veggies, ribs, and bread. I am an IFer so I skipped breakfast, which was a big mistake, it is pretty hard to mess up things like eggs and fruit, but oh well. Lunch the next day was pasta, sauce, apple pie and bread. No meat, no fruit, no veggies....so I passed. Here is the best part of the story, I stopped at the little snack shack on the way back to our room to change for our hike and there was a man there who must have been a good 325 lbs. When I told him I wanted 2 grilled chicken sammiches with NO bread and NO chips, he was dumbfounded. The idea that someone would just want meat, lettuce, and tomato for lunch was an idea that he could not grasp.

After a few minutes of arguing with this guy to make lunch my way, we went off for a hike, cut much shorter than the 8 miles I wanted to do because we took a premature turn, but at 3,500 feet my endurance wasnt too great anyways. Downhill tubing was pretty fun too, reminiscent of sledding as a small child. The last night was date night for D and I so we went to a seafood resturant in town, fish, salad, veggies, followed by copious amounts of alcohol.

After a while I decided to not worry about it and just try to do the best I can.

I am detoxing today because I ordered a gluten free pizza for superbowl, so I need to get my carbs in check again. This pizza however, was completely worth it, pine nuts, chicken, sausage, ricotta, mushrooms, and artichokes all on a GF crust.

When I break my fast for dinner it will be exactly 24 hours, but also paleo taco night!!!! I have two ripe avocados, just waiting to be beaten into guac, then served over meat and tomatos in a lettuce taco shell.

Also on our trip I found an AMAZING bulk spice store. I got baggies full of tumeric (great anti-inflamatory spice), strong catnip for my little girl, dried gojis, vanilla beans (super expensive at the grocery store), stevia, and more. D thought everything was going to be expensive because he knows how much it costs when we are restocking our spice cabinet, but all that plus some local made hot sauce and a jar of fresh honey was very reasonable. I am going to use the vanilla in some tumeric almond-milk tonight, to help out with the detox. It is basically tumeric, a touch of black pepper, ginger, cinnimon, and a sweetener of your choice all cooked together in milk or almond milk, which I am choosing because of the high vit E. It has great anti-inflammatory, anti-biotic, and anti-oxidant properties.
                      Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Obsessed with tumeric milk, I tweaked that last recipie and added some cardamom, vanilla, and stevia to sweeten....Amazing!!!! Before I make it again I figured I would share a few things I have read about tumeric, and why I am obsessed with this super spice:

It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.

Because of turmeric's high antioxidant content, the combination of milk and turmeric is commonly recommended to fight free radicals that cause damage to skin cells and make your skin lose elasticity

As a natural antiseptic, turmeric effectively cleans wounds and burns to prevent the onset of infection. In one study published in the "Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology" which researched the effect of turmeric on E-coli strain K-12, several finely ground turmeric roots were centrifuged to produce a strong solution later added to the E-coli culture. Bacterial growth was examined 24 hours later and results indicated a significantly reduced concentration of the E-coli strain. In fact, no bacterial growth existed whatsoever after 2.8 g of turmeric concentration were used on the strain.

Turmeric may also reduce the risk of prostrate cancer and impede the growth of prostate cancer already diagnosed in an individual. A study published in "Biochemical Pharmacology" using mice revealed that turmeric stopped the spread of breast cancer to the lungs and also caused melanoma cancer cells, or skin cancer, to self-destruct. This anti-carcinogenic property turmeric may indeed possess is based on its anti-inflammatory characteristic that seems to reduce the proliferation of corrupted cells.

A healthy liver is vital to optimal body function. In addition to filtering harmful bacteria and other toxins, the liver burns carbs and fats for energy, adjusts amino acid levels in the blood, assists in producing blood plasma and converts glucose to glycogen. The curcumin in turmeric helps cleanse the liver by flushing cholesterol and bile from the liver's system.

The University of Maryland Medical Center reports that turmeric lowers blood sugar levels in diabetic animals. However, turmeric supplements might also increase the effects of anti-diabetic drugs and increase your risk of low blood sugar, a condition called hypoglycemia. Andrew Weil, M.D., suggests that turmeric might even help to prevent and treat Alzheimer's disease. Early studies indicate that curcumin helps to block the formation of the plaque thought to cause Alzheimer's. The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) relates that applying poultices of turmeric powder directly onto your skin might help to treat eczema and heal minor wounds. The World's Healthiest Foods website states that turmeric's antioxidant properties might even help to stop the inflammation that causes arthritis.

This is just a few of the more interesting things I have found, I think this little after-dinner drink might become a nightly occurance in my house.
                        Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Paleo vanilla eggnog protein shake??? yeah....I went there!!!!

I mixed up some egg yolks, a scoop of coconut cream, some unsweetend almond milk, and protein with some spices(cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and cardamom), added a touch of stevia and experienced liquid heaven.

Last nights dinner was proscuitto wrapped salmon and green beans, also I ate some carrots with almond butter, leftover chicken, and a salad. I may have eaten a small dark chocolate praline esspresso bar that was a valentines gift from my in-laws...but if no one was around to see it, then it didnt happen!

Also, I took my puppy for a 6.5 mile walk yesterday (out of a touch of fear about my spiking insulin levels, so I figured I could use up a bit of that sugar through activity). Also because I am training for my Breast cancer walk. Anyway, I was pretty proud of him, I thought he would get tired because he isnt even 7 months old yet, but he still had enough energy left to chase the cat when he got home.

Tonight we are getting a chicken from this preuvian place...and while it is most likely not free-range, it is a char-broil rotissere chicken with no weird sauces, glazes, or added anything, and it is damn delicious. Add a big salad with avocado and it is a meal. Until that point I am IFing today, getting ready for an extended fast monday.
                          Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Well...it is nice to have my journal back. nothing too exciting to report from the weekend except eggnog....whenever I want!! I threw a few raw egg yolks in the blender with my usual coconut milk-vanilla protein shake, add a few dashes of cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon....then BAM! you have eggnog.

Also, I made some vanilla bean "fudge" candies for my hubby for valentines day, which were coconut cream concentrate, pecans, the guts of a vanilla bean, some stevia and some shredded coconut(yeah I am a fiend for some coconut!), melt it all together in a pot, pour onto wax paper and stick in the fridge til it hardens again. Oh yeah....a cookie sheet would be helpful too...not just wax paper.

Anyway, I have yet to try it because I am about 26 hours into a fast and I am absolutley buzzing. I have never gone past 24, but I am stretching this one out until morning because I simply am not hungry. I think they key to surviving these things is to bundle up, and drink hot tea. Keeps me nice and toasty while my temp is lower.

Worst part of the day, my market hid the coconut oil from me I am all out and scoured the store for more, and asking the employees is little help since there are severe language barriers, but pure coconut cream concentrate....why how did I walk past you before??? No more will I have to attempt to read 50 different brands of milk/cream trying to see which ones dont have stabalizers. I no longer have to take dried coconut and spend extra time extracting my own milk. And my how delicious you are!!

Thats all for today....tomorrow is double love birds (two small chickens I am roasting for dinner)...and the excitement of making my first chicken stock out of the carcasses....hmmm to be used for paleo pot-pie perhaps?
                            Marilyn Monroe

Comment

I just made some chicken stock in my slow cooker yesterday (after slow cooked chicken on Sunday). So easy & tasty! It always gels nicely for me. I leave it in the slow cooker for 24 hrs.
                              Depression Lies

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I already have mine in there from last night. I decided to do this because of my new obsession with the anti-aging nutrients. There is a lot of collagen in the joints, but I certainly cannot eat just the joints without gagging. Plus, I have been really trying to use all of the parts of the animal instead of being wasteful.

As I stood in my kitchen eating skin off the leftover chicken since I wont be needing it for pot pie, and it is damn delicious. Anyways, my fat content for that day was through the roof, and it caused me think about the way I used to eat for a bit and my absolute fear of fat ingestion. It is so great that I can enjoy real food and not live in constant fear of calories and fat finally. Besides, the chicken legs with the skin are really the best part, I cant beleive I ever shunned them for boneless skinless breast meat.

Also, I will be buying all of the bricks of coconut cream concentrate from the store today, that "candy" was so good I think I need to make a huge pan of it today. I have 3 vanilla beans left, so I can make a triple batch

Although I have a big bad of coconut flour in my pantry, I am thinking of topping the pot pie with mashed sweet potatos instead of a biscuit concoction too, just because I have a couple that need to be used.

Also, we have guests coming this weekend, and my husband and I have been meal planning, he suggested breakfast burritos one morning for people, but really I cant in good consciense feed people that. I plan on doing an eggbake one morning, which is kind of like a quiche but a little more improvisation based on what I have on hand. We stocked up on eggs so perhaps I will just make scrambled eggs and sausage one morning. I am not a breakfast eater, but I am the cook, so I am still responsibile for planning how to feed 3 extra people for a few days.

Lastly, my gramma has a really old cookbook she offered to give me since we have been talking about my "old school" way of cooking. Apparently it has chapters on butchering and organ meats, I am pretty excited to get my hands on that!
                                Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Working...
                                X