Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life is about creating yourself. (Tricia)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi again! I think it's time for me to get back in the game. I'm changing 'the game' though.
    Over the last couple of weeks I haven't been able to do absolutely anything and it really really sucked. Seems that stomach flu on top of the mono has really taken every last ounce of life and energy out of me. I already missed 2 weeks worth of classes and am on my third week now (also on leave from work, which is good because I need to rest still). I'm so bored of all this resting, but when I do as much as go to the store or tidy up the living room, I get so exhausted I have to sit down. It's infuriating. I'm lucky my teachers understand and I have classmates who help me where they can (notes!) but I still have a lot of catching up to do...
    But! I have finally recovered to a point where I can grocery shop and cook meals, so I am no longer dependent on pre-packaged foods and can start to get back into the paleo. I've had to reconsider my motivations though.

I told my boyfriend that my new, 'drastic' approach would include no longer stepping on the scale and he actually took out his phone to record the date I said that It's true that I've been kind of obsessing about it... or maybe not kind of. It's like it's a machine that tells me each morning whether to be happy or frustrated for the rest of the day. Which is clearly not its purpose, I know that It will be weird to let go though, because I have spreadsheets of my daily weight going back to 2007... I have realised though that with all this checking and recording, I've only ever managed to weigh 'about the same' for all these years. A bit more in winter, a bit less in summer. So even if I completely fall off the wagon, I'm not going to wake up and suddenly be huge. My clothes will let me know in time if I'm really gaining weight, so I won't have to beat myself up every time I wake up to find a 1lbs gain for no apparent reason. And cutting back on stress is a good thing.

Which brings me to the goals that actually matter. One of the things I set out to do when I started this journal was to completely get off nicotine patches, and I have done that. That's kind of huge, considering how few people ever succeed at giving up smoking, especially after +16 years. (I won't call myself a 'success' until I've quit for a year, but at 7 months I'm fairly confident) And I've managed to do it without putting on any 'quitting weight'. I realize it's not fair to myself to not let myself be happy about that because I failed to lose any significant amount of weight so far. That's just not healthy.

So what does really matter then? I wouldn't call myself a science nerd if I didn't put it into parameters, but I won't chart these, I promise!

1. Energy! (man, how I miss having even a little of that...)
    2. Mood (I seem to be much more level-headed when I'm primal, hence the hopes that this lifestyle might some day help me to completely quit my SSRIs, which is my next number one goal)
    3. Thriving immune system and general health markers i.e. good digestion, clear skin, bright eyes (I have noticed a serious change in this since I quit smoking, which I did not expect!), no period pain
    4. Good sleep - No bad dreams. Ever since I was a toddler, I've always had really bad nightmares, unusual in both frequency and intensity. My 'regular' dreams are also extremely vivid and, well, fucked up But those I can live with. So too the regular zombie/vampire/alien invasion type dreams. But the wake-up-covered-in-sweat-have-to-go-get-a-drink-of-water-mess-with-your-head-for-the-rest-of-the-day-type-dreams... not so much. The only time I was ever rid of those was when I smoked a lot of pot, from my late teens through early twenties, because then I did not dream at all. But I'm clearly not starting that again

And that's about it, really. That's all that matters. Would it be nice to look good in a bikini? Sure, but treating this as my number one goal hasn't ever brought me 1 step closer to that. So I say %@#$ it. I just want to feel good.

So tomorrow I am starting... something. I would say I'm doing the Whole30, except that I still have a little splash of milk in my coffee, and I still have potatoes or white rice on occasion. But it will be a much stricter version of paleo than I have been doing, and it will be for 30 days. I'm calling it the Something30
    Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ---George Bernard Shaw
    When you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Comment

WELCOME BACK!!!!

Best of luck on your Something30! I just finished my whole30 today - lost 5 kilo! yippie- I agree about the weighing thing. I think once every week or once every other week is good for me. Whole30 says once a month, and it normally would not bother me - but i wanted to see if progress was being made - the fruits of my efforts. I have decided now that I will go ever other sunday - but not obsessively!

I think that maybe like you did your stars maybe you should do a mood: or :\ or kinda thing! Then you can track but not in spread sheet kind of way.

Comment

^^ Hehe, maybe ;-)

Food log day 1:
        breakfast: 1 large banana
        lunch: iceberg lettuce with cherry tomatoes, tuna and mayo (learned again I really don't like iceberg lettuce), 1 egg "muffin" (= eggs + bits of ham + bits of leek baked in a muffin tray, no dairy)
        dinner: paleo sheperd's pie with cauliflower mash instead of potato = so good! + leftover veggies from night before: bell pepper, mushrooms and string beans
        snack: 1 clementine

supplements: magnesium and fish oil
        also: way too much coffee. "decaf" does not mean "drink all day"!
        Last edited by Tricia; 03-02-2012, 04:36 AM.
        Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ---George Bernard Shaw

Comment

So, what does one do when one's country does not "do" beef jerky? Why, order it from Germany through the internet! (I got a sample package, which is why I now have every flavour ever invented, haha!)
          DSC03112.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tricia View Post
            So, what does one do when one's country does not "do" beef jerky? Why, order it from Germany through the internet! (I got a sample package, which is why I now have every flavour ever invented, haha!)
            [ATTACH]6015[/ATTACH]
            haahah, awesome! we are just starting to get some here due to the american community here for oil. It is way overpriced though!

Enjoy it!!

Comment

^^ well I just found out that all of those flavours include sugar (but only after I had eaten one of the packets... d'oh!) I really should have known if not checked that beforehand... but no! Stupid me.
              Thankfully, the boyfriend is very enthusiastic about his big box of "cowboy meat" so at least someone gets to enjoy it :/

Comment

Looks like it's time we make our own beef jerky! A tip: beef heart is easy to make jerky out of:

Consumed Gourmet: Beef Heart Jerky

You can alter the recipe, of course, if you're kind of anti-soy like I am. I wonder if I could use a kind of outdoor solar oven for this though - sounds like it would take up a lot of energy if you don't have a dehydrator.
                Starting weight: 225
                Current weight: 195
                Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
                Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
                My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

^^ Yeah I thought about that, but we only have an electric furnace because our house isn't hooked up to the gas network. We buy 100% renewable electricity though, but that's expensive so we try to avoid using too much of it... After I graduate I want to get into cow-sharing though, and maybe invest in a dehydrator and stuff like that :-)

Yesterday's food log:
                  - breakfast: 1 egg muffin, 1 banana
                  - lunch: leftover sheperd's pie (seriously - so good! I'm so happy I froze 3 more individual servings of this for when I don't feel like cooking!)
                  - dinner: steak with ratatouille and salad
                  - snacks: 1 packet of sugared meat , 1,5 glass of Oxfam 'world shake' (= multi fruit) juice
                  - supplements: magnesium, fish oil
                  - extra: again with the decaf! I'm just leaving it at that for now, because I've been so good with everything else.

Comment

Oh cool - well I'm glad there are people like you in the world!
                    Starting weight: 225
                    Current weight: 195
                    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
                    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
                    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

Food Log:
                      - breakfast: finished off the yoghurt with 1 cut up banana and a handful of blueberries
                      - (late) lunch: leftover ratatouille with 1 scrambled egg and bacon bits (a new addition to my list of 'food that looks totally gross but tastes fabulous', hehe)
                      - snack: 1 pear
                      - dinner: pita meat with shredded carrots, salad and pita sauce (that has sugar in it - will check into making my own)
                      - dessert: rest of the blueberries with coconut milk

Comment

Food Log:
                        - breakfast: 1 banana
                        - lunch: boyfriend went to get his Sunday hamburger and brought me back a small quiche, which he thought was paleo... I wasn't going to argue because that would completely ruin the sentiment - I just cut off the crust as best I could but then felt a bit gassy and cramp-y for the rest of the day. Coincidence? Placebo-effect?
                        - dinner: vegetable concoction that I once froze without proper labelling - always a risk, but it was very good still! It had some kind of kale (paksoi), bacon bits, and curry flavoured cashews. Also: a big chunk of fried salmon and white rice
                        - dessert: 2 clementines

Comment

Food log:
                          - breakfast: 1 banana
                          - lunch: was supposed to be 3 wraps of tuna salad in lettuce. Has any one of you ever successfully wrapped anything in lettuce? Because the lettuce does not want to let you. In the end it only worked because I wrapped them tightly in cling film, but when I opened my lunch box they had gone all soggy and wet. I still ate 2 of them because the tuna salad I made was pretty good, but then chucked the other one in the bin. Next time I'm just taking plain tuna salad and a spoon...
                          - snack (because I was famished!): 1 clementine, 2 slices of ham
                          - burger patties I made with extra shallots and garlic, broccoli, bell pepper and mushrooms on the side. Store bought guacamole because I had a bad avocado. Turned out to have sugar in it. WTF?
                          - after dinner: 2 clementines, handful of blueberries with coconut cream. Led me to wonder why I was still eating so much and craving sweets, and if maybe there had been sugar in the guacamole... bingo... :-/

Comment

Food Log:
                            - breakfast: skipped it, but snacked on 2 slices of ham and a handful of macadamia nuts and almonds while I was out and about
                            - lunch: skipped it, so came home absolutely famished, then heated up the rest of the veggies from the night before with a big dollop of guacamole (yes that had sugar in it - it's gone now)
                            - dinner: rest of the pita meat with shredded carrots, cabbage and salad, last of the pita sauce (that also had sugar in it and is gone now )
                            - dessert: 1 peach, 1 pear

Comment

I've been so constipated it's not even funny anymore, so I added yoghurt back in as an attempt to get some probiotics... so far that has helped only a little, so if anyone has any ideas, they would be very welcome!

- breakfast: some macadamia nuts, 1 banana, 1 clementine
                              - lunch: skipped it, but ate 1 fresh fig thinking 'fibre!'
                              - dinner: pork chop with home made coleslaw and baked potatoes (because sometimes extra fat helps to smooth things along too! - not this time though)
                              - after dinner: bowl of Greek yoghurt with blueberries, a table spoon of flax seed, and a drop of maple syrup

Comment

Still nothing... My belly feels and looks like I'm pregnant. I've been better about taking my magnesium and that definitely seems to improve my sleeping, but I've also been very weepy for no real reason.

Food log:
                                breakfast: yoghurt with 1 cut up banana and 1 tbs of flax seed
                                lunch: salad, cauliflower and whatever mushroom concoction they were serving at work, 1 plum, 1 carrot/apple/celery juice
                                dinner (at 4:40, because that's when my break was): rest of my home made coleslaw + 1 chicken thigh
                                after work (around 9): crayfish tossed with almond flour and fried in coconut oil + 3 fresh figs

Comment

Working...
                                X