Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life is about creating yourself. (Tricia)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆
    Well, so much for being done with the zucchini bread - my sister wouldn't take it, so I finished it off all by myself... Nice one there. Also no exercise, though I went to pick up my bicycle twice because it wasn't ready at the promised time... My sister's exams are over, so she went to stay with her boyfriend, and I think I'll go back to cooking a bit less elaborately for a while. It's been fun to play the mom for a bit, but the boyfriend likes his takeaway and I'll just as soon just heat up whatever (healthy!) leftovers we have in the fridge. It will be nice to return to our old routine.

Food log:
    - breakfast: 1 banana
    - lunch: 2 pieces of zucchini bread, bit of smoked salmon
    - dinner 2 pieces of zucchini bread, 2 big bowls of home made zucchini-and-celery soup

Exercises/sun:
    Nope/yep!

Sleep:
    about 2pm-10am again, but I didn't wake up during the night nor did I have bad dreams, so yay!

Brain/Play:
    Used my brain so much it hurt, then used it some more. This Friday's exam is the most important one of the semester, but the stuff we have to learn is so hard!
    Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ---George Bernard Shaw
    When you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Comment

Mmmm, I'll have to try that zucchini bread, but I don't think I'd put any sweetener in it either. Did you do the pumpkin spice ingredient too?

Glad the sleeping situation is getting better. While you're healing, maybe you should just concentrate on a daily walk or something.
      Starting weight: 225
      Current weight: 195
      Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
      Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
      My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

@Lex: no, we don't have a tradition of pumpkin pie here (more of a US thing) so I wouldn't know what was in a pumpkin pie spice mix I did add cinnamon though, but didn't really taste it.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆

So I've officially plateau-ed. I'm not too worried, because this is what I usually call my 'summer weight' (about 69kg) and it's the middle of winter. But I guess this is all the weight I will lose while sitting on my ass all day Will stop by the drug store on today's walk and pick up some magnesium supplements to experiment with. I used to take those many years ago because I had chronic back spasms for a few years, but they just magically (?) went away so I stopped taking them. Would be cool if they could help with the sore throat/swollen glands that I still have from the mono (I think?) or help me sleep better.

Food log:
        - apple, slice of cheese
        - 2 fried eggs, 1 clementine
        - string beans sautéed with red onion, sausages and cauliflower mash, sliced tomato

Exercise/sun:
        Grocery run! It's a lot easier now that I can ride my bike instead of having to push the damn thing all the way there and back, loaded like a camel with groceries, but I'm ridiculously out of shape so it still got my heart rate up Sun aplenty these days, even though it's freezing. I like this a lot better than the constant rain we've been having, so I'm determined to schedule in a walk today.

Sleep:
        Really tired all day. Sort of dozed off around 10:30 on the couch but didn't really fall asleep, went to bed at 11:30, lay there with my head blaring Queen songs (I hate Queen) and songs from the movie Grease at me until I went mad, got up again at 1am, returned to the couch, finally fell asleep there until the boyfriend woke me up at 2am to go to bed. Woke up to my alarm at 10am. Bugger.

Brain/play:
        Finally managed to make some sense from the course material I'm studying (it's meta-logic for anyone who's wondering), but it still wrinkles my brain. No play.
        Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ---George Bernard Shaw

Comment

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ ☆☆☆☆☆

Today is my final exam for the semester and I am exactly 1 month primal (excepting 2 days where I wasn't) Tonight, I'm baking cookies, and tomorrow I am starting my next 30 days of this adventure. Looking forward to it

Food Log:
          - 2 egg omelet with oyster mushrooms, bacon bits and onion
          - 1 clementine post walk
          - risotto with beef-and-veggie stew
          - 2 more clementines
          - some macadamia nuts
          - pieces of coconut oil-turned-chocolate
          (we sat up late playing Magic-the gathering; apparently that makes me want to snack like nothing else! the boys loved my (well, FondaLashay's) coconut oil 'chocolate' though. I'm going to put it on the cookies I'm baking tonight.)

Exercise/sun:
          Had a nice walk by the canal (about 1.5 hour). During summer, that path is joggers' highway, but I only encountered 3 on my walk and they looked absolutely miserable on account of the cold. I felt great, actually, as long as the icy wind wasn't slapping me in the face. On the way back, the sun shone on my face, which was the only bit of me that wasn't wrapped up like an Eskimo...

Sleep:
          From about 1:30 to 9:30, lots of bad dreams though...

Comment

I really messed up yesterday. I was so happy that my exams were finally over, that I decided to reward myself with a hamburger and a serving of fries, only when my boyfriend came home with them, we had a totally stupid fight and I didn't even get to eat them (I can't eat when I'm angry, I'd feel like a caricature of a fat person on TV) and the whole 'reward' aspect was ruined anyway. I did end up eating the hamburger, but that was just because I was starving by then. But then later at night I felt I had to compensate with about a dozen almond cookies (that I also ruined, but at least they are unsweetened), two clementines and a candy bar. Binge!

Food Log:
            - breakfast: yoghurt with ground nuts in it
            - lunch: 2 hard boiled eggs
            - dinner: 1 hamburger
            - extra: 10 (?) small almond cookies, 2 clementines, chocolate bar with hazelnuts

Exercise/sun:
            Walked to and from campus, which totals about an hour. Had a lovely blue sky and sun on my face on the way over there, but while I was inside waiting for my turn it started snowing! So I got to walk home in the fresh snow as it was still falling, which was the perfect setting for my happiness, and I got home all exhilarated until this stupid fight ruined all. Meh.

Sleep:
            8 hours 2:00-10:00, no bad dreams

Comment

Went to visit a dear, dear friend yesterday I hadn't seen in ages (for whom I had made the cookies). She's very supportive about the primal thing, so she had even gone out to buy mixed nuts for us to snack on. But of course since I'm trying to be prepared, I had brought my own primal survival kit She really liked the cookies, even though I thought I'd ruined them. Guess it's a good thing she never saw how great they turned out in my imagination then

Food log:
              - 6 almond cookies, unsweetened
              - 1 apple, some almonds/macadamias, piece of cheese (= primal lunch box)
              - big Irish steak with salad, leek and beet sprouts, and mayo
              - bowl of blueberries for dessert, with a dollop of whipped cream
              - 2 clementines (=midnight snack)

Exercise/sun:
              Not really. We did go and walk around in the snow with her boyfriend and 2 dogs, pretending we were 'beyond the wall', hehe. But I guess that's more 'play'.

Sleep:
              Was determined to get in a decadent amount of sleep (post exams and all), and I did, thanks to the extra duvet from the guest room (I kept waking up in the early morning because I was cold). Sleep rocks.

Comment

☆☆

It may be a coincidence, but this throat that has been bothering me since the beginning of the year? Has cleared right up since I started taking the magnesium. *knock on wood*
                It's about time I boost up my activity level too! --- cue musical score to 'Rocky'... starting today. (I did bugger all yesterday)

Food log:
                - yoghurt with ground nuts in it
                - oyster mushroom omelet
                - bowl of zucchini/broccoli soup with bacon bits in it (courtesy of the boy)
                - fried salmon with lettuce, shredded carrots, sliced tomato, leek sprouts

Exercise/sun:
                Nothing!

Sleep:
                Fell right asleep as soon as I went to bed, at 1 am. Slept until 11am (!) but it's great to sleep for as long as my body feels it needs, and wake up without an alarm.

Comment

Food log:
                  - yoghurt with ground nuts in it
                  - bit of turkey meat, bit of brie cheese
                  - This chicken/meatballs concoction (I couldn't find an English translation for it). I bound the sauce with arrow root, and substituted oven fries for the fries-I-could-not-have-the-other-day-when-they-were-supposed-to-be-my-reward. Also I had a lot more lettuce that didn't look as depressing as in that picture, hehe, what is up with that? No stars though - I am not going to kid myself about that.
                  - couple of blackberries

Exercise/sun:
                  30 minutes of brisk walking, setting record time from my house to down town, then an hour or so of slow walking when I was there. Plenty of sun.

Sleep:
                  Getting better all the time! 12:00-9:00, and woke up without my alarm, yay

Comment

sleep

Sounds like you're getting a lot better on the sleeping front!
                    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
                    My Primal Journey

Comment

Had another bad day. First day of work, and while I knew it would be a minefield (canteen food + my lovely colleagues all taking turns baking things and then looking wounded when you won't try what they made), I had come prepared, with my big ass salad and chicken thigh. So what do I do the second I arrive? Let myself be talked into trying a cupcake one of my colleagues made. I told myself it was ok because she made it with stevia and I never tried that before :-/ Then when I got home at night (around 9) I was sooo tried and hungry and cold (it's like -11°C out after dark) I just didn't want to come out from under the blanket I had huddled under on the couch, and so we ordered pizza and I had a small container of Ben & Jerry's.
                      And what does this get me?
                      *drum roll*
                      Horrible nightmares and +1kg in the morning! That's over 2 pounds it took me weeks to lose! I'm so pissed off right now I feel like throwing a tantrum. Because this is what always happens with me: that pizza/cupcake/dessert didn't even weigh 1kg! Leave it to me to put on 2 pounds from a 1oz chocolate bar, bah, bah, bah!

Comment

People are tough to deal with. Now that you are back at work, try to nicely inform people that you have a gluten allergy. (why you might not have a doctors note, you do have a allergy - it makes us puffy, sore and tired!) They will be like, but you used to eat bagels with us - just come back with the fact that you have just recently found out and you hope they can be understanding. Did it at my work, they are all over the top nice about it. They (some of the young guys) do make fun of me occasionally for being the only one not eating like the rest or for my veggie consumption - but they are seeing changes in me (someday I hope to convert at least 1 of them :P)

If you are going to get a pizza, do they have a gluten free variety. here they are really good about having that alternative. so if we are going to splurge on a pizza at least I can not be sick all night/week. Did you know wheat/gluten can stay in your system causing problems for up to a month! ek!

Don't beat yourself up though! you have been doing wonderful! And you will recover from it! (and start playing the medical card :P)

Comment

Hope all is well and we did not lose you with the site being down!

Comment

That's really sweet of you to check in on me FondaLashay (and your post before that was just what I needed to hear at the time). I'm hanging in there, but turns out apart from the cupcake my co-worker also gave me the stomach flu, which is just what I needed after the stupid mono... My body is just done for the moment and all I want to do is lie down and watch tv. I'll be back though, when I feel up to it. Maybe I'll do the whole30 in march and if I do I will bug you for recipes
                            For now I'm just hanging out on the couch, and looking at some of the courses I'm taking this semester. I just sent them an email requesting to drop a credit from my schedule, so that might lighten the load a bit. I'm pretty sure I can't handle another semester like last one ... I need to get healthy!

Comment

Do your best to avoid bad foods because they'll stress your system out too. Like the pizza and Ben & Jerry's obviously weren't worth it even before you stepped on the scale, right? If anything, stow the scale away and just concentrate on feeling better.

On the social eating front, I used to think I could get away with telling people I'm diabetic/gluten-free and that still works with acquaintances and people I order food with. But everybody else who is going to be in your life consistently? You've got to just tell them what you're doing and put your foot down on it. Most of them will think you're going through a phase and are waiting for the moment you'll stop caring about being so particular with your diet (at least this is what happened with me). That's exactly when you've got to show on your own that you're serious, or they'll never take you seriously. At first you feel awkward and perhaps deprived. If that's true - I forget whether I left this link here already - this is a really good read:

Paleo Pepper » Blog Archive » Feel deprived? Throw a hearty ‘fuck you’ at American culture

I'm happy to report that eventually not taking part in what everybody else is drinking and eating becomes painless. At some point people realize it's futile to even tempt you and may even start respecting your commitment, even if it's one they'd never make themselves. Definitely don't worry about heavy exercise at this point, but don't let the nostalgic picture of you and friends eating delivery pizza like old times make you miss out on foods that will heal instead of damage your adrenals either.
                              My Primal Journey

Comment

Originally posted by Tricia View Post
                                turns out apart from the cupcake my co-worker also gave me the stomach flu
                                BUMMER! hang in there and keep your head up! Maybe try to get some ferments/probiotics in. The flu sucks, I had a touch of this one version awhile back called the 'headache flu'. eh. it was killer, I think I would have rather been properly sick.

Take this a time to rest! You are done with your exams and can be a bit more stress free Rest and let your body heal by giving it nourishing and (good) bacteria rich foods!

I think it is smart of you that you are lessening you stress/school/course load! High stress is not good for healing, like you said. Best of luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X