No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (Lex26)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleep: 6 straight, 9 together (Lights out 11, woke up at 5 am and managed to sleep another three hours with interruptions)
    Exercise: Half hour walk, half hour on a swing pushing off against a tree (only doing this while trying to reflect on some stress)
    B: Two eggs, green onions, spinach, garlic
    L: leftover chicken, five asparagus spears, two hard boiled eggs drizzled in olive oil and sea salt
    D: pork tenderloin, onions, carrots, coconut pudding (ate a lot)

You know, I'm beginning to think three eggs in the morning does something magical for me. For the last week I've been doing two-egg breakfasts because I wanted to experiment with a smaller breakfast. But I've been a lot hungrier later in the day for it. It seems like I want to eat more at lunch, more snacks and more at dinner. So I'm going back to a bigger breakfast concept and hopefully that anchors my appetite more throughout the day.
    Starting weight: 225
    Current weight: 195
    Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
    Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
    My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

• I have noticed that too with breakfast. Now with not having any dairy, I get hungry faster - but I did not do anything in my breakfast schedule to replace the dairy. So now I am upping it one egg too or a slice or bacon (My boyfriend is really shocked by the amount of eggs we go through - haha).

Comment

• Sleep: 8ish hours (Lights out 1 am, up at 6 and slept with interruptions until about 9)
        Exercise: Hour walk, half hour on a swing pushing off against a tree
        B: Three eggs, half red onion, cumin, red chili, garlic scrambled with cubed avocado on side
        L: Three hard-boiled eggs with olive oil and sea salt
        D: Primal chili, two big bowls

Ach - strength training just has to be done in the morning. I just get caught up with too many other worries later in the day. I need to get back on the strength training regimen. I have a feeling my weight is still stalling even though I make sure I get some exercise in every day and haven't gone off track with the diet at all (okay, minus a tablespoon of who-knows-what-was-in-it dressing last weekend).
        Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
        My Primal Journey

Comment

• Had to share a most fabulous graphic I found in another journal:
          Attached Files
          My Primal Journey

Comment

• Again- love the journal- very inspiring * especially the sleep- I have been getting three hours at most in intervals eek!*

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• Yeah, there's some major trouble-shooting going on with the sleep. I thought if I just started being a good little girl and went to bed on time, that would be that. I can actually fall asleep easily, but in order to fall into a deep, solid sleep I've had to go to sleep later. I've also taken Vitamin A & D supplements out in hopes that I might be less sensitive to light and sound. Adding more intense exercise might help. I've been putting off weight training because it isn't as stress-reducing as all the hiking and other slow-moving stuff is, and some writing projects have definitely got me stressed. It seems like when I have something to write, I'm either staring in despair at the project or I'm procrastinating in some "productive" way. Well, at least going out for walks is a big step up from binge-eating like I used to. That's a big improvement.

Sleep: 6 hours (Lights out 3 am, wake up at 9)
              Exercise: None
              B: Three eggs, garlic, spinach, fail mayo
              L: BBQ pulled pork (no sauce), barely pecked at potato salad and coleslaw sides, two hard-boiled eggs
              S: Coconut milk (arrr<-- I don't want this. I want to stop wanting snacks in the afternoon)
              D: Chicken thigh and drumstick with bacon Brussels sprouts
              My Primal Journey

Comment

• Hey Lex, I feel ya with the sleep and snacking problems! I've had a really hard time with sleep lately too. How come you stopped taking the vit A and D supplements? Why would they make it harder to sleep? I've just never heard of that and I think it's interesting. I still need to check out the Chris Kresser article I found from your journal....ehh maybe I'll procrastinate with that tomorrow Also, I think I'm going to try to be more like you and use walks and other physical activities as a more productive way to procrastinate

Comment

• Originally posted by al09 View Post
                  Hey Lex, I feel ya with the sleep and snacking problems! I've had a really hard time with sleep lately too. How come you stopped taking the vit A and D supplements? Why would they make it harder to sleep? I've just never heard of that and I think it's interesting.
                  I've been experimenting with Vitamin A & D supplements for the last few months and know for a fact that the Vitamin A keeps me from sleeping when the sun is up. Now, that is kind of cool to all of a sudden not need an alarm clock and be able to peacefully wake to the sun. But if you haven't had a full night's sleep yet and would really like to sleep more, it's pretty frustrating. I mean, as soon as even a little morning daylight enters the room, I wake up if I've been taking the supplements. When I don't take the supplements, I can do things like sleep until 9. I just got to the point where I would really like to sleep whenever I feel like it.

But for the sound sensitivity, it looks like that might be a magnesium issue, according to some peeps on here. I might buy Natural Calm or whatever it is sometime soon to experiment with.
                  My Primal Journey

Comment

• Sleep: 9 hours (Lights out at 11, woke up at 8ish. Had a fitful sleep throughout night but woke up eventually feeling fine <--whatever that is in my world)
                    Exercise: Two sets each of deep squats, pullups, chinups, bench pushups, triceps dips (I'm thinking more about form and squeezing everything out of my muscles than of reps)
                    B: Three eggs, half red onion, spinach, fried garlic on top
                    L: Spinach, red onions, garlic, chicken leftovers
                    D: Four grass-fed beef hot dogs with sauerkraut, 1/4 cup coconut milk

I'm back on my strength training regimen. I did the strength training before eating breakfast, so I made sure to relax my stomach muscles while stretching on an exercise ball then took HCl with the meal. No digestion issues! I've never really put all the elements of being Primal together for an entire month. It's always been me getting one part down really well while something else doesn't really happen. February could be the first full month I both eat and exercise primal. And it better be the month I lose some more pounds!

I'm beginning to think of myself as a soldier with an arsenal of different weapons to fight obesity. The first is the diet and that's taken 30 pounds off. Now, while maintaining that, I need to do the full exercise routine: Every week a sprint, two strength training sessions and a bunch of slow moving stuff. If that ever stops getting the weight to go down, there's IF (eating two meals a day instead of three). Third, I could do two strength training sessions a day on Lift Heavy things days. And then there's ... going on a high fat/zero carb thing? Desperately latching onto a leptin reset thing? We'll see what it ends up taking!
                    Last edited by Lex26; 02-04-2012, 09:49 PM.
                    My Primal Journey

Comment

• Sleep: 7 hours (lights out midnight, woke up around 7)
                      Exercise: Played tennis (surprisingly well and surprisingly fun) with my dad for about 30-45 minutes
                      B: three eggs, half red onion, garlic clove, spinach in about a tablespoon of coconut oil
                      L:Yeast-covered pork chops fried in coconut oil
                      S: Pork rinds (c'mon, it's the Super Bowl!)
                      D: three Italian sausages in some tomato sauce

TAKE THAT PATRIOTS - I HOPE IT BUUUURNED WITH PAIN!!!

Sorry, I'm just very relieved those assholes didn't win the whole season. So today was the first day I actually, officially took part in the Play thing. When my dad invited me to the park for tennis, I had flashbacks of trying to play as a kid and in high school - it basically turned into an hour of sprinting for balls flying all over the place. That would still be a great workout, so I accepted. To my shock, I have somehow grown up and learned how to serve and hit a tennis ball back and forth at least at a very basic level. Though my dad is really fit, we hadn't played in years and actually played a competitive game. I'm sure once we get our strokes down and start slamming them faster, it'll get tougher. But hey, I think I could incorporate this more often.

I'm somewhat sore from squatting yesterday and most sore from my newly added strength exercise, the triceps dip. It's got the back of my arms and back sore enough that I know it's working, but not painful enough to keep me from playing tennis. Tomorrow is a sprint day, but I feel like doing some weight training in the morning too - is that against the rules?
                      Last edited by Lex26; 02-05-2012, 10:44 PM.
                      My Primal Journey

Comment

• Sleep: 8 hours (Lights out 1, interrupted at 7, wake up at 9)
                        Exercise: 6 all-out sprints lasting about 10 seconds each (after four 50-yd jogging intervals to warm up)
                        B: Three scrambled eggs with a tablespoon coconut oil
                        L: Garlic collard greens sauteed in one tablespoon coconut oil with . 3 oz yeast-crusted pork loin fried in one tablespoon coconut oil
                        D: Coconut flan experiment, one Target Italian chicken-sausage, handful of pork rinds (random, I know)

I made two culinary discoveries today. First: I used collard greens for the first time today and I think we're going to be best friends! They had been waiting in my refrigerator for a week while I worried about how to cook them. I didn't know if they were as easy to prepare as sauteed spinach or if they needed to be slow-cooked - I know a lot of southerners like doing that with them. They ended up being just as easy AND they were just as crisp as the day I bought them. What a hardy green. So that was my favorite discovery.

Second one is an experiment I will continue toying with - coconut flan. I mixed one can full-fat Nirvana coconut milk with 5 eggs, a little cinnamon and two servings stevia. I then poured them in five small dishes inside of a glass casserole dish with water in it so it could cook bain marie style in the 325 degree oven. I dusted them with cinnamon to substitute that caramelized look they wouldn't be getting without any sugar. Cooked them for 45 minutes. The texture was perfectly flan-like, but I should have put more stevia and cinnamon in it - it tasted a little too eggy (aka something I'll eat no matter what). But I did not want to give up my sugar-free dessert dreams, so I decided I would make it extra flan like by taking some of the watery portion of an old coconut milk can and boiling it with more cinnamon and stevia to make a kind of syrup. I poured it on top of the flan I had plopped into a bowl and wallah - score! Sugar-free flan. I thought that would be enough for dinner, but I really ended up wanting a meat fix so I ate the one Italian sausage too.
                        My Primal Journey

Comment

• Ach - how ironic is it that researching high cortisol levels is ... resulting in higher cortisol levels?!

Hormones Part III: Optimal Levels of Cortisol, Insulin and Thyroid are Essential to Vibrant Health
                          My Primal Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by Lex26 View Post
                            Second one is an experiment I will continue toying with - coconut flan. I mixed one can full-fat Nirvana coconut milk with 5 eggs, a little cinnamon and two servings stevia. I then poured them in five small dishes inside of a glass casserole dish with water in it so it could cook bain marie style in the 325 degree oven. I dusted them with cinnamon to substitute that caramelized look they wouldn't be getting without any sugar. Cooked them for 45 minutes. The texture was perfectly flan-like, but I should have put more stevia and cinnamon in it - it tasted a little too eggy (aka something I'll eat no matter what). But I did not want to give up my sugar-free dessert dreams, so I decided I would make it extra flan like by taking some of the watery portion of an old coconut milk can and boiling it with more cinnamon and stevia to make a kind of syrup. I poured it on top of the flan I had plopped into a bowl and wallah - score! Sugar-free flan. I thought that would be enough for dinner, but I really ended up wanting a meat fix so I ate the one Italian sausage too.
                            I am so going to have to try that! Yummy!

Comment

• I've read your whole journal, very inspiring. Great Job. I'm just starting the Primal Eating thing, and it's overwhelming, but I loved your journal and your notes on what you have found out.

Comment

• Thanks! Yeah, people's journals on here are a great resource. Following Mark's Primal Blueprint 101 is a great way to be a lot healthier - puts you miles ahead of the average American. But once you really get into it and realize how much better you feel, you begin to wonder how you can tweak more to improve your individual situation. All of a sudden you start thinking that health problems you just accepted years ago could actually be resolved if you keep on investigating how your body works. I came on here for weight loss, but am now thinking I'm on my way to solving a bunch of other problems like acne, anxiety, indigestion, chronic yeast infections (hey, we're pretty anonymous here, right?) and flatulence. The path of discovery is different for every body, but many of those journeys overlap too as you can see on here. It is hard to catch up with some people, though! Some people have got 80 pages and I'm like, I can skim but can I get a summary, please? Maybe I'll put a summary in my signature when my journal gets bigger.
                                My Primal Journey

Comment

Working...
                                X