No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (Lex26)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lex -- Crystal's article is amazing. Thank you for telling me about it. Realized I better not cut out cruciferous. Pretty certain I'm okay with it, and I have to eat something. I can sit down to a huge bowl of any cruciferous and be quite happy. Amazing how much on the list is already cut out by being primal. But I'm going to cut out onions, coconut, avocado, and garlic. Hey, have you ever made a food list of what's left if you cut out all the stuff you don't want in there for one reason or another?

Here's what I know works for me: D3, cod liver oil, Himalyan sea salt, turmeric, grass fed butter, full fat yogurt, whole milk, cream, broccoli, zucchini, ginger, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, and Brussel sprouts!

There are non-primal things that work -- I mean, I never noticed any issues with almond croissants! -- but that's BPB (before primal blueprint).

What would your list of for sures look like?

Comment

• Originally posted by Lex26 View Post
      I saw a while ago that coconut was on some lists and then not on others. So, of course, I completely acted like coconut couldn't possibly be a FODMAP .
      Hahaha that's exactly what I did too! Maybe I'll have to give up my beloved coconut and other FODMAPS as well I'm going to look into it and see what my list of for sure's would look like, good idea lopisheep!

Comment

• Originally posted by lopisheep View Post
        What would your list of for sures look like?
        Well, honestly, I don't know. I've been researching the topic for a while and have slowly been figuring out some major "don't"s like onions. But what's generally recommended is an elimination diet, where you play it really FODMAP safe a whole three weeks or so. Then you slowly introduce something new every four days to check out what your reaction is like. I can't really afford to do that right now. It's also awkward at this stage. Like, when I'm finally getting friends and family to appreciate my diet, it's really awkward to say, oh no, didn't you know? I can't eat broccoli or Brussel sprouts either now. I just can't do it right now. Hopefully I'll be getting a job in the next month or two and subsequently moving out on my own - I'll do it then.

In the meantime, I've concentrated on what it is about FODMAPs that creates gas and other issues. In some cases, the food isn't being digested well from the beginning and therefor ferments in your gut longer than it should. In others, it will always be feeding bad bacteria that emit a lot of gas, which then feeds other bad bacteria (learned this from Chris Kresser). So taking HCl pills has really helped so far, but I obviously have my limits.
        Starting weight: 225
        Current weight: 195
        Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
        Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
        My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

• Eureka!
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html
          Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
          My Primal Journey

Comment

• I have just been thinking about this! Sums it up perfectly!

"so, we have all programmed our bodies to switch from carbs to fat as fuel by bombarding ourselves with fat. now, our bodies are running happily with fat as fuel, and we are now still bombarding ourselves with its preferred fuel source. with the bombardment of dietary fat, you're not giving your body the ability to tap into its reserves.
            I have never been one for tacking, but I am going in every few days and doing so. Good to keep tabs while I am trying to loose - does not need to be a life commitment. I am on fitday though.

Comment

• Yeah, I've had a sneaking suspicion the solution to the plateau could be that simple ever since the beginning of January. I wasn't throwing up a lot or anything at the time (boy my journal has been gross lately), but my digestion had slowed and I couldn't eat as much, especially not as much fat. I was eating two meals and maybe something teensy for lunch. I lost five pounds in those two weeks, those five pounds have stayed off, but since I improved digestion and as much as I wanted, I haven't been able to lose anything else. The coconut milk and pork rinds aren't as innocent as they once seemed. I mean, I still need to officially put this into action and weigh myself at the end of the month. But, I'm feeling good about this.

I don't think it is regrettable, though, to spend the beginning of the weight loss journey not counting calories. I'm still thankful that what I concentrated on first was changing the quality of the foods and figuring out how to keep certain foods out of the picture even when around family and friends. By the time I started this journal I had already gotten a 25-pound head start. Since I've started it, I've lost five pounds and - I don't think I've celebrated this enough - social anxieties aren't causing me to cave on my diet anymore (<--in large part because of the support from this forum). One hurdle at a time. Now I'm going on to the caloric limit stage, which will really be about no snacks and not eating however much I want at every meal. There will be a day when I don't need to count calories because eating enough will be more intuitive, but I don't think it would hurt while on a plateau.
              Last edited by Lex26; 02-14-2012, 03:28 PM.
              My Primal Journey

Comment

• Hi Lex,
                Thanks for the friend request and the "Eureka!". It's good to know that my thread can be of help.

Gee, let's all eat pounds of bacon, pork rinds by the bag, and coconut oil by the jar and then wonder why we aren't losing weight. Hmmm. Yeah, it must be the handful of almonds you ate last week. Completely messed up your O3:O6 ratio. It couldn't possible be the gazillion calories you ingested because they are all "Primal friendly".

This is why the original thread that got to be a bit of a monster was called Reality Check : Counting Calories. If you ever have a few spare hours to wade through it, there is some good stuff in there.

I wish you well. It sounds like you are headed the right direction. I'm not around the forums much these days, but I would be happy to help if I can.

Robin

Comment

I still need to officially put this into action and weigh myself at the end of the month.

I don't think it is regrettable, though, to spend the beginning of the weight loss journey not counting calories. I'm still thankful that what I concentrated on first was changing the quality of the foods and figuring out how to keep certain foods out of the picture even when around family and friends.

I am going to weigh at the end of the month too. I for awhile got irritated going into the bathroom and seeing the scale - I have never been one to weigh myself. So I put it in the closet :P

and

I agree, I Am so happy for my transitioning time. I too lost a good chunk in the beginning! We have to celebrate those things! And I am glad we can all be support for each other - it really help and makes a world of difference!

Comment

• Originally posted by Paleobird View Post
                    Hi Lex,
                    Thanks for the friend request and the "Eureka!". It's good to know that my thread can be of help.

Gee, let's all eat pounds of bacon, pork rinds by the bag, and coconut oil by the jar and then wonder why we aren't losing weight. Hmmm. Yeah, it must be the handful of almonds you ate last week. Completely messed up your O3:O6 ratio. It couldn't possible be the gazillion calories you ingested because they are all "Primal friendly".

This is why the original thread that got to be a bit of a monster was called Reality Check : Counting Calories. If you ever have a few spare hours to wade through it, there is some good stuff in there.

I wish you well. It sounds like you are headed the right direction. I'm not around the forums much these days, but I would be happy to help if I can.

Robin
                    Thank you so much for your support and for making sure there was a reality check hub for somebody like me to find. I really understand why Mark and other Paleo people market these diets the way they do and downplay calorie restriction. It's good for that not to be everyone's initial priority when they start changing their diets. Plus, as you say in the why-you-shouldn't-calorie-restrict list, some people are too close to disordered eating to play with it.

But I'm in the place you ended up finding yourself in. I really do have cravings under control (minus when I'm super-stressed) and have been compliant with diet and exercise. I know damn well the scale not budging is not a muscle thing. And calorie restriction isn't really that hard - it's just a reality check during this plateau.

Furthermore, the calorie restriction isn't even really about calorie restriction - it's about fat restriction. My carb and protein intake has been fine, but I lose it at eating too much fat.

This Eades article is SO important.

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Low-carb and calories

And, for anybody who doesn't think the other big primal/paleo heads wouldn't be on board with this, consider the following quotes:

8. You’re eating too much: Low-carb isn’t magic. It reins in wild hunger and tames insulin, but calories do still matter – especially once you approach your ideal weight. In fact, those last few pounds often don’t respond to the same stuff that worked so well to get you to this point. Eating nut butter by the spoonful and hunks of cheese without regard for caloric content may have gotten you this far, but you’ve got to tighten things up if things aren’t working. And that’s the real test, isn’t it? There is a metabolic advantage to eating according to the PB, but if the weight isn’t coming off, something’s up – and calories may need to come down.

Read more: 17 Reasons You’re Not Losing Weight | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

How much fat should be in our diets?

Well, who are you and what are you trying to do? Are you trying to lose body fat? If so then we certainly want to attend to dropping insulin and reducing inflammation, but if you do not know the difference between a mouth and vacuum cleaner…you might have problems! An attendee at one of my seminars was trying to lose weight but was consuming a WHOLE can of coconut milk with every meal. She felt good, but thought she should be losing fat faster…At some point calories DO count!

Read more: Guest Post: Robb Wolf Answers Your Paleo Diet Questions | Mark&#039;s Daily Apple
                    My Primal Journey

Comment

• Sleep: 7 hours (out at 3, up at 10)
                      Exercise: 1/2 hour walk
                      B/L: Three eggs, 1/4 c. spinach and 1 tbsp. coconut oil
                      D: 8 oz. El Pollo Loco chicken thighs w/o skin
                      My Primal Journey

Comment

• Hi Lex...finished reading your journal this morning & enjoyed it so much!! I love the links you provided & spent the morning checking them out. I have to go back & really go over them more closely but they look wonderful!!

I have a hundred pounds to lose...well actually about 84 left to go & I'm loving everything I'm learning. I learned alot just from reading your posts to your journal.

I joined MyFitnessPal.com & tried to copy & paste the code to add the tracker to my signature. It didn't work. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again for such a great journal! I loved your pictures too!! In the 2nd ones you posted you definitely look like you've lost some!! I can't "weight" till I can say I've lost 30 pounds!! Congrats on a great job!!!
                        Goal: Don't worry be happy!

Comment

chicken thighs w/o skin
                          Do you not like the skin? I dont! My bf always thinks I am crazy and happily takes mine :P

Comment

• Originally posted by fondalashay View Post
                            Do you not like the skin? I dont! My bf always thinks I am crazy and happily takes mine :P
                            Chicken skin 1) has a toooooon of Omega 6 and 2) using the logic of the Dr. Eades post above, I'm trying not to eat as much fat anymore. I want my body to use more fat from my body and less from my diet.
                            My Primal Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by theprimalcajun View Post
                              Hi Lex...finished reading your journal this morning & enjoyed it so much!! I love the links you provided & spent the morning checking them out. I have to go back & really go over them more closely but they look wonderful!!

I have a hundred pounds to lose...well actually about 84 left to go & I'm loving everything I'm learning. I learned alot just from reading your posts to your journal.

I joined MyFitnessPal.com & tried to copy & paste the code to add the tracker to my signature. It didn't work. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks again for such a great journal! I loved your pictures too!! In the 2nd ones you posted you definitely look like you've lost some!! I can't "weight" till I can say I've lost 30 pounds!! Congrats on a great job!!!
                              Thank you! I'm so happy to add people to my posse of peeps who can support each other more. I hope eating primal is already taking your weight down a notch. There's usually a quick drop-off of weight and then the tinkering begins - these forums have been such a huge help for that.
                              My Primal Journey

Comment

Chicken skin 1) has a toooooon of Omega 6 and 2) using the logic of the Dr. Eades post above, I'm trying not to eat as much fat anymore. I want my body to use more fat from my body and less from my diet.
                                yeah the O-6 thing is a bonus point with me when saying I dont want it Since I never eat it, I have never looked at it's fat content - guess that is double bonus for me then! One less thing to cut out!

How has your 1st/2nd day of fat/calorie limiting been?

Comment

Working...
                                X