Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Primal Journal: Melisa Goes Wild

Hello everyone!
    I am Melisa Anderson, a Holistic Wellness Coach from Grundy Center, Iowa. I am 37 years old. I am married with 4 boys ages 4-13. I learned about Primal eating from my holistic nutrition school and it immediately intrigued me. I've been reading up on it for the last several months and just a couple days ago, took the plunge into the Whole30.
    I decided I needed to change something after I realized that as a personal trainer and health coach, I am anything but fit and healthy. I broke my leg last year running a Warrior Dash and really let myself go...eating anything and everything in the house while I was layed up for 2.5 months.
    So now I'm an overweight, out of shape wellness coach. Yikes.
    After studying all of the different 'diets' that are out there, this one has made the most sense. I finally decided to jump into it because of the resistance my mind put up against doing without sugar for month. I was shocked that I was that hesitant.
    I am the only one in my family who has decided to go Primal. My 4 year old is 80-90% with dairy included. My husband is totally against taking grains out of his diet and I'm slowly taking those things out of my older boys' diets.
    So my stats are:
    Weight:175lbs
    Height: 5'5"
    Goal: Drop 30-35 lbs of fat and look good naked
    Melisa Anderson
    Holistic Wellness Coach, Personal Trainer
    1-1-12: 175lbs

"Live a fearless life and stay focused on things you wish to have or things you wish to see happen in life.
    "The key to success is to focus our conscious mind on things we desire not things we fear." ~ Brian Tracy

Welcome!
    Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

The stomach flu has been going through the house this week, and it feels like I may be coming down with it. Today I'm going to have a IF day and then some bone broth later.
      I am now on my 3rd day of Whole30, and I have a splitting headache! haha I'm sure this is a combination of sugar and caffeine withdrawal. It's all cool though, I know this is just my body readjusting itself.
      Melisa Anderson

"Live a fearless life and stay focused on things you wish to have or things you wish to see happen in life.
      "The key to success is to focus our conscious mind on things we desire not things we fear." ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Hey Melisa! Thanks for the message on my profile. We are pretty similar with our height/weight! I can't believe you broke your leg on an adventure race. I just finished an 8-mile Spartan Race and was definitely worried throughout about breaking something or spraining an ankle!

This can be a little tough when your support system isn't on board, but you will be able to probably slowly ween them into it. Start using more potatoes and rice and less wheat and they'll get some of the benefits as well.

I just started the Whole30 challenge on the 1st! Am actually going to their workshop in Austin, TX this weekend! I tried it once last year and made it about 6 days before I binged on carbs. Boo! But am feeling a lot better now and think the 30 days will be a breeze! The only thing I'll really miss in the dairy since I eat pretty Paleo already.

Good luck to you, girl! I'm subscribing to your journal, so I hope you keep posting! It's a great way to keep accountable.
        的t's a lifestyle--train like there's no finish line".

Army Officer by day.
        Practicing Crossfitter, Yogi, Chef and Hiker by night.

Comment

Good for you for doing the Spartan! I was going to do the one in Illinois last October, but that went out the window! lol
          I'm so used to my family not being on board that really it's no big deal. I've just decided that when they run out of certain things, it won't reappear. Tonight I made them a turkey shepherd's pie with potatoes on top and made myself and awesome butternut squash soup with bacon. I think I got the better of that deal.
          So jealous of you going to the workshop in Austin. Please let me know how you liked it!
          Melisa Anderson

Comment

Today is my 5th day on the Whole30, or 1st depending on how you look at it. I realized yesterday after breakfast that my bacon, although free from chemicals, has sugar in it. So I'll add 4 days onto the end of the 30.
            I passed up cookies last night. My aunt sent a late package of Christmas cookies. Yikes. Those eggnog snickerdoodles looked so good.
            This morning I'm having steak and eggs (last night we had sirloin tip steaks so leftovers!!) and some butternut squash soup. I'm the only one who'll eat it so I've had a lot of that since I've made it.
            So it's only been a few days, but I swear the jeans I put on yesterday were looser in the waist. I wish I would have done my measurements. Perhaps I still will just for a comparison, or I guess since I am adding 4 days on anyway, this is like my new 1st day.
            Anywho, I have been walking every day, and yesterday even attempted to run a little. That is the first time since I broke my leg. It was more like a shuffle, but I did a little bit and felt good that even though I only went about 2 blocks, I didn't feel like I was going to die. I'm paying for it a little bit today as it's pretty sore, but I'll walk more and it'll loosen up a bit.
            Kettlebell class starts next Monday, and I'm VERY excited for that. That will be my 'Lift Heavy Things' 2x a week.
            I'm also starting yoga again next week. I got very tight while sitting on the couch for 3 months--it seems all my flexibility has gone. Besides that, I like it. I like the relaxation and the break it affords me from my daily housework grind, and at the same time, being around people who like the same things I do.
            Melisa Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Melisa View Post
              Good for you for doing the Spartan! I was going to do the one in Illinois last October, but that went out the window! lol
              I'm so used to my family not being on board that really it's no big deal. I've just decided that when they run out of certain things, it won't reappear. Tonight I made them a turkey shepherd's pie with potatoes on top and made myself and awesome butternut squash soup with bacon. I think I got the better of that deal.
              So jealous of you going to the workshop in Austin. Please let me know how you liked it!
              You definitely should look at doing one if you get a chance, or a Tough Mudder or something like that. I think they're great goals to work up to!

And I just laughed, because my last name is Anderson. We really are similar!

Army Officer by day.

Comment

Are Kettlebell classes at your gym? That sounds awesome!

Army Officer by day.

Comment

Welcome Melisa!
                  I'm an Iowa girl too (Ames) - my Husband is actually from Eldora. Funny.

Good luck on the whole 30! I never really did it, just jumped in with both feet and never looked back...adjusting a little along the way.

How did you become a Holistic Wellness coach? - that is soooo my dream job! Is there a program around here that you completed?
                  You can send me a PM if you like.

forward
                  pbj
                  my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

Comment

Originally posted by Cassanina View Post
                    You definitely should look at doing one if you get a chance, or a Tough Mudder or something like that. I think they're great goals to work up to!

And I just laughed, because my last name is Anderson. We really are similar!
                    I broke my leg doing the Warrior Dash. That's the only reason why I'm not considering doing a Spartan or Tough Mudder. I figured all my bills today and that little race cost almost $26000!
                    Okay, so your last name being Anderson is just too cool.
                    Just finished my first Kettlebell class. They are through our YMCA. It kicked my ass. Seriously. When I got home, I got the pukey feeling you get after a really hard lift! But, it's totally fun, and I can't wait to do it again Wednesday!
                    Melisa Anderson

Comment

It is day 9 of Whole30. It's becoming easier to not want the bread and sweet stuff, but when under big time stress today, I really wanted junk to eat. I didn't eat it though. We are kind of running out of veggies in the house, and grocery day isn't until Thursday. I'm concerned I'm not eating enough calories. I tracked today and was just over 1000 and that's with using a Tbsp of bacon fat to fry up my sweet potatoes. So it looks like I definately need to add in more fat and protein. I guess I'll just have to eat more eggs!
                      Melisa Anderson

Comment

$26k? Wow, that's insane! I'm sorry to hear that! How's it healing?

Awesome job on the Kettlebell class! I do Crossfit about 5-6x a week, so I know the pukey feeling VERY WELL!

How's your diet going?

Army Officer by day.

Comment

My leg is doing pretty well, but I sure did feel that kettlebell class today! Wow my legs atrophied big time. And it's a strange feeling because they've always been my strongest area. Unfortunately, my yoga class got cancelled tonight. I was looking to get a my stretch on!
                          We have a crossfit about 30 min away. I am hoping to try it eventually, but that long drive both ways just doesn't work into my schedule or budget!
                          My diet is going really well. I am trying really hard not to overdo it on fruit. I love fruit and could eat it all day. Also, nut butters are my faves and I know I'm not supposed to have nuts too often.
                          I feel like such a hypocrit with my family not being primal/paleo with me. I made them spaghetti tonight. At least I added a lot of good beef to the sauce I guess. Normally we would have eaten spaghetti squash, but we are out and the pasta was there. I ate a salad with venison sausage and avocado instead. It sounds nasty but it was tasty!
                          Melisa Anderson

Comment

Fruit and nuts are definitely easy to overdo! I have been trying to not have any fruits or nuts at all for the last week or so. I added a cup of berries to breakfast this morning, but otherwise I'm not eating fruit. I am really trying to kick my sweet tooth!

I could eat nut butter by the pound! I make it in my food processer and add in coconut oil to make it creamier and just love it! I usually try to have it with celery instead of apples to try and limit the carbs. Yum!

Army Officer by day.

Comment

So today is Day 12 of Whole 30. I haven't missed the grains at all, but then I had pretty much taken them out of my diet anyway. The legumes, no problem. I made no bean chili and liked it just fine. The dairy? Again not a big deal. I do miss cheese. I've always put cheese in my chili and on my eggs. Sugar, well...I still miss it. I would love to have a sweet coffee or chai, or a good dark chocolate. So I will take a cue from Cassanina and drop fruit from my diet for the rest of Whole30.

I had my second kettlebell class last night. Holy cow. It totally kicked my butt again. I was obviously not recovered from Monday yet. I'm pretty sure this class counts for sprints and lift heavy things. As sore as I am, it feels amazing to be working out again, and doing so without an obsessive 'gotta have this amount of weight loss' in mind. I know my body will reach it's right weight in time.

Some of the things I've noticed in the last 12 days:
                              *Little to no PMS. This is huge. I was a raging lunatic during that week before.
                              *An even mood. I'm not having mood swings at all. My kids have definately noticed.
                              *My skin is staying clear. I used to really break out badly before my period, but this month that didn't happen.
                              *Although I do feel sleepy if I don't get to bed early enough, I have a very stable amount of energy throughout the day.
                              *All of my kids are sugar addicts. I will be slowly moving my family to a primal diet.
                              *It's useless to try to explain why my meat consumption isn't going to ruin the environment or cause me a heart attack. People are so caught up in conventional wisdom that even if you do try to explain, they look at you like you're an idiot.
                              *When some people see you making changes and looking and feeling better, they are resistant and will either intentionally or unintentionally try to sabotage you. This is a strange yet real phenomenon. This is why I don't agree with sharing weight loss/wellness goals with many people. Of course my husband and children know what I'm doing, but I won't tell anyone else.

One of the biggest lessons I've learned so far is to read EVERY SINGLE LABEL. I've been very surprised with a few of the things in the cupboard. And also to listen to my body as far as how I feel after I eat certain foods. I can't have a big supper meal-it seems to keep me awake as does any snacks close to bed time.
                              Melisa Anderson

Comment

Working...
                              X