A semester of sustained awesome!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A semester of sustained awesome!

So the new year is just around the corner and it's time for resolutions.
    I know most people think that new year's resolutions are doomed to fail, but I have high hopes for mine:
    One semester of clean eating, exercise and general badassery!

other badassery:
    I generally found myself unmotivated to study last semester. This may have been because I didn't really like my classes, I became obsessed with reading paleo blogs or because I am generally lazy.
    Whatever the cause I want to kick it back up into high gear this semester. goal? A+ average!
    Flossing! I should floss more
    I'm excited to see the difference some sustained commitment will make in my body and my life!

This feels really ambitious but I think I can do it!
    Now I'm off to get my last grande americano with cream, and I will enjoy some chocolate today. Goodbye you terribly delicious indulgences!
    Last edited by Jennerator; 09-13-2012, 01:00 PM.

Hi Jennerator,
    I'm starting Winter term on Monday also and really looking forward to getting back into the routine. It is so much easier for me to eat right and be disciplined when I am busy. I'm starting with the Whole30 but like you am planning to just transition it right on through the term. Gotta get back on track with some daily yoga, intervals a couple times a week and more walking. Wish I could ride my bike to school but the snow and ice make it impractical. I ended up with straight A's for fall term, but just barely. This term is going to be less cramming and more daily study! Cheers!
    Heidi

Comment

That's so true, once you have a routine established by school and work it's easier to manage eating right and exercising around that. Weekends and holidays are just deadly. I'm really looking forward to losing my christmas fluffiness.
      Yes, cramming is my downfall. Every year I seem to rely more and more on the pressure of the deadline to get me studying. Last semester I didn't even start studying for one of my finals until 8:30 the night before! I've never been that blase about my schoolwork! I managed to scrape together an A average but I know I can do better, especially with grad school applications on the way.
      I could ride my bike daily today but I'm a wuss about riding in the rain :P I grew up in a snowy city so I feel your pain.

Comment

Thank goodness I only have six months left until graduation and boards! I never dreamed that going back to school would be so challenging at the ripe old age of 36! I blame the mental decline on my kids. ;-D

Comment

I'm just stoked to have gotten through the hols without gaining weight. I wasn't always a good girl but kept up workouts and was strict between lapses. I finally got into a regular workout routine 4 years ago when I started doing workout videos at home in the morning. Now, I am NOT a morning person but I found that morning was actually the best time for me since getting myself to workout after work never seems to happen and I don't want to take time out during the day to get sweaty and then clean again. Do it in the morning and you don't have to think about it again that day cause you're done! Cathe Friedrich has a great HIIT (high intensity interval training) workout DVD that features 3 separate workouts that are only 30 minutes long. And you will be sweating and sucking wind, let me tell you. Check out collagevideo.com. They have little clips of the workouts you can watch, user reviews, and they will also accept returns on open/used dvd's even if you're only reason is that you simply did not like the workout. Cathe also has great strength workouts though they tend to require more equipment than I prefer to have hanging around the living room. Paul Katami has a super kick-as 4x4 boot camp workout that actually makes me want to cry occasionally. I usually only do 3 of the 5 blocks.

By the way, you can totally do this. I lost 50 lbs on the primal blueprint and 45 before that just on portion control and exercise. Paleo/primal is much easier! For one thing, I don't have constant food cravings and crazy blood sugar swings anymore. Went from a food-addicted 240-245 lbs and never exercising to 150-155 lb grok-ette who works out 5-6 days a week and if I can do it, anyone can! Go, girl!

p.s. if you get tired of Whole30, you can just kick it back to primal and still lose weight. My diet while losing weight still included half and half and chocolate. (and cheese! shhh, don't tell.)

Comment

it's great to write up your resolutions like this!
            i work at a university that starts monday as well. sadly this means the return of many students to my tiny town...
            a plus is that i get in lots of "slow movement" walking around and to campus!
            Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
            Friend me on "The Facebook"
            Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

Middle path: Your story is inspiring, thanks! I will check out those videos. I like to workout in the mornings too. I have to say once I'm showered it's highly unlikely that I will work out, I hate showering twice in a day! With the only exception being yoga: I love a sweaty yoga sesh in the evenings, it just winds you down so nicely from your day and gets you all ready for bed. When I do yoga in the morning I'm just too blissed out to get up and go!

asmallone: yes writing in our november whole 30 thread was so helpful for me! somehow declaring these intentions to the internet world makes them feel more real!

If anyone wants to post their resolutions/progress in this thread then they are totally welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Jennerator View Post
                Middle path: Your story is inspiring, thanks! I will check out those videos. I like to workout in the mornings too. I have to say once I'm showered it's highly unlikely that I will work out, I hate showering twice in a day! With the only exception being yoga: I love a sweaty yoga sesh in the evenings, it just winds you down so nicely from your day and gets you all ready for bed. When I do yoga in the morning I'm just too blissed out to get up and go!

asmallone: yes writing in our november whole 30 thread was so helpful for me! somehow declaring these intentions to the internet world makes them feel more real!

If anyone wants to post their resolutions/progress in this thread then they are totally welcome!
                I'm with you on the evening yoga though I don't do it as often as I should. It really is a nice way to wind down, though. As for the cuticle picking, I think a lot of us have nervous habits like that. I chew my cheeks and since you put up the invite to post resolutions, I will go with you on that and resolve to stop cheek chewing this year!

Comment

I didn't start until today so that I could participate in a New Year's celebration yesterday. But my second class today, in walks the prof. with a big box of chocolate/caramel macadamia nuts. Bummer! I continued to chew my BAS while everyone else indulged. Oh well!

Comment

Hey, as long as you are under 100 grams of carbs, you're good. 75 grams, even better. Beer and sweet potato fries is better than hard alcohol and white potato fries. Now, the seed oils the fries were fried in, on the other hand... ;-)

Comment

So I haven't posted but it's been a good few days

today I took the first lecture of a food nutrition and heath course called "current nutrition concepts and controversies".
                      I was really excited about this course until I found out that 25% of my mark was based on a detailed 3 day food journal, comparing my intake to the recommended health canada guidelines and describing how I can change my eating habits to more closely comply. All of the info covered is based around standard nutrition guidelines! Where's the controversy?! I was hoping for at least some discussion of say, vegan, or low carb diets. And I really don't feel the need to be graded on my ability to explain why I don't have the recommended 6 servings of "hearth healthy whole grains" a day! Ugh.
                      So I dropped the class, I'll just be responsible for my own nutrition education

My mom has rheumatoid arthritis and controls her symptoms through diet.
                      I'm only 22 years old but I had suffered from hip pain for about 2 years before committing to paleo. It didn't even occur to me that diet might be playing a factor with my joint pain since I'm still pretty young, but arthritis runs really strong on her side of the family. Now i know that if I cheat, my hips will predictably start aching again 1-2 days after gluten consumption. For my mother, she gets severe pain the same day as any gluten, legume or nightshade consumption.
                      I think of this diet as preventative medicine. Considering the amount of joint replacements that have been preformed on females on my mom's side of the family we're both really lucky to have wised up to dietary treatments before things got too out of hand!
                      Last edited by Jennerator; 09-13-2012, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Spartacus and sore butts reminds me of horse racing with people whipping you from other carts... But I'm sure that was not what the workout entailed
                        I do understand the pull of perfectionism, but I think it's important to let go of that and focus on 'great'. Being kind to yourself is so much more productive as you say
                        Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ---George Bernard Shaw
                        When you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Comment

Hahaha no my workout was not nearly that fun... erm or interesting.
                          b- 3 eggs with spinach and garlic, tea with coconut oil and later coffee with cream
                          l- salad with avocado oil and coconut vinegar dressing, pickled herring and sliced carrots on top
                          s- a few date rolls (mashed dates in coconut flakes) and a spoonful of coconut oil
                          dinner will be steamed veggies and baked salmon. then I will STOP EATING after dinner
                          no exercise today, I'm tired and still a wee bit sore. I will rest today then do some cardio/row machine tomorrow

Comment

Hope it's going well for you. Glad you're back to breakfast and wish you success. How'd those 3 eggs treat you? I find a big protein breakfast like the one recc'd for the leptin reset protocol really helps with cravings and snacking urges.

Comment

The 3 eggs were great! I used to be in the habit of eating breakfast, skipping lunch and eating dinner but these past few days I'm finding it hard to skip lunch (I think it's just because I've reconditioned myself to expect food in the afternoon) so maybe I just need to suffer through a few weeks of lunchtime hunger to get back into my old routine that was working for me pre-christmas.
                              I did the spartacus workout again and it was much easier this time with less soreness!
                              here it is if anyone's interested: The Spartacus Workout
                              I still haven't managed 3 rounds yet but that should be achievable soon.
                              I'm considering splurging on a few personal training sessions to get my form down and start lifting heavier weights.

Oh man I am sooo hooked on coconut oil right now. My boyfriend just watches in disbelief as I eat spoonful of it hehe. It's so tasty!!!
                              Last edited by Jennerator; 09-13-2012, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X