• Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...2345-1355.html

janz post on lyme disease for reference later

Comment

response from janz

Originally Posted by DigitalSurgeon
      nutmeg I think you need a deep biohack.......I have been wondering if you have something else based on the labs you posted........ou might want to consider an alpha MSH level and C4a complement screen.......if that comes back positive it would explain your adrenal fatigue completely. but the real answer still would require a deep hack. I have not written about this stuff yet but its coming in 2012........adrenal fatigue cases that last too long maybe related to other issues...........
      LabCorp.com

Melanocyte-stimulating Hormone (MSH)

Synonyms:
      Alpha-Melanocyte-stimulating Hormone
      MSH
      α-MSH Melanocyte-stimulating Hormone (MSH), Plasma
      ======================

========================
      Complement C4a

Synonyms:
      Complement C4a des-Arginine
      Test Number: 004330 CPT Code: 86160
      Specimen: Plasma (EDTA) with Futhan, frozen
      Volume: 1 mL

Use: Activation of the complement system plays an important role in our natural ability to ward off infection and in the pathogenesis of infection and inflammation.1-6 Anaphylatoxins produced as the result of complement activation play a role in a number of infectious and inflammatory conditions including sepsis, ischemia-reperfusion injury, immune complex diseases, and hypersensitivity diseases like asthma.1 Anaphylatoxins are also thought to be important in the pathogenesis of allergy, autoimmunity, neurodegenerative diseases, and cancer.2,3
      Complement activation can occur through three separate mechanisms. The first mechanism to be discovered, referred to as the classical complement cascade, is activated by antigen-antibody complexes.4-6 This was the basis for the name of this system as they serve to "complement" humoral immunity. Alternatively, the complement cascade can be activated directly by contact with bacterial cell surface molecules, including lipopolysaccharide from gram-negative outer membranes, teichoic acid from gram-positive cell walls, zymosan from fungal and yeast cell walls, and some parasite surface molecules. Recently, a third activation mechanism has been characterized in which mannose-binding lectin synthesized by the liver in response to inflammatory macrophage cytokines stimulates the activation of complement.

Complement cascade activation results in the formation of complement split products C3a, C4a, and C5a.4 These proteins, referred to as anaphylatoxins, facilitate the phagocytosis of immune complexes, viral particles, toxic cell debris and apoptotic corpses. Anaphylatoxins promote an inflammatory response by binding to complement receptors on granulocytes and macrophages.2 Anaphylatoxins also bind to receptors on mast cells, which trigger the release of histamine, increasing blood vessel permeability and smooth muscle contraction.6 They control the local inflammatory response through activation of leukocytes and stimulating their chemotaxis to the site of infection.4

Complement C4a levels can become increased in any condition associated with inflammation.2,3 Normal human pregnancy is associated with evidence of complement activation, with an increase in concentrations of the anaphylatoxins C3a, C4a, and C5a in the maternal circulation.7 Levels of anaphylatoxins C3a and C4a have also been found to be elevated in patients with antiphospholipid syndrome relative to healthy controls.8 Ingram and associates have shown that levels of C4a are increased in patients with multiple sclerosis, especially during relapse.9

Complement activation split products are present only in trace amounts in normal plasma in vivo.10 It is crucial that samples be collected and stored properly in order to avoid in vitro activation.10 Blood must be drawn directly into tubes containing EDTA at a final concentration of at least 10 mM.10 Citrate and heparin do not block complement activation efficiently and should not be used.10 The addition of nafamostat mesilate (Futhan, FUT-175) further reduces in vitro complement activation.11

Limitations: Results for this test are for research purposes only by the assay's manufacturer. The performance characteristics of this product have not been established. Results should not be used as a diagnostic procedure without confirmation of the diagnosis by another medically established diagnostic product or procedure.
      Elevation of C4a levels is not predictive of any specific disease.1-9 Complement C4a levels can become increased in any condition associated with inflammation.2,3

Samples that are not properly collected and stored will produce erroneously elevated results due to in vitro activation.10 Blood must be drawn directly into tubes containing EDTA at a final concentration of at least 10 mM with the addition of nafamostat mesilate (Futhan, FUT-1750) to further reduce in vitro complement activation.11
      Last edited by JanSz; Today at 07:59 PM.

Comment

rT3 high, how to deal with it, #2 - Page 24

Post from Janz - HIGHT RT3 and what to do about it (summarizes all the hope for hashi's videos). Interesting in that the doc recommend NOT using bio-hormones for hashi's bc they can trigger the antibodies...

Comment

Optimal DHEA
          based on the article that Jan had recommended from Life Extension:
          "(depending on age) Ideal
          Men 16.2-492 μg/dL 350-490 μg/dL
          Women 12-407 μg/dL 275-400 μg/dL

Comment

I def feel as though I'm battling somthing...my lymph nodes have been swollen for over a week

Comment

Originally Posted by Huck (for adrenal support)
              I take 500 mg Rhodiola, 450 mg Ashwagandha, 100 mg l-theanine, 600 mg Maca, and 500 mg Holy Basil extract. I also take gaba and selenium.

Comment

My tests results back last spring prior to meds (i think)

FT4. 1.2 (range .0-1.8)
                FT3 2.8 (range 2.3-4.2)
                T3 total 83 (76-181)
                RT3 34 (range 11-32)

Hashi anitbodies - 269

Comment

From Jan Z
                  Adrenal Insufficiency: Alternative methods - Page 3
                  http://www.musclechatroom.com/forum/...434#post167434

Specially people with antibodies,
                  Please read this thread.

This is not posted to make you eat glutathione, you may not need it.
                  This is posted to make you do this test (and then follow up, per results).
                  Count obvious outliers and also close calls.
                  You may save your self 5 years of time and $20000 in doctor's fees.

Overall, it may be cost effective to buy this test outright and not counting on insurance reimbursement, specially if you have to pay cash for doctor's visit.

Spectracell Comprehensive Nutritional Panel
                  Spectracell Comprehensive Nutritional Panel
                  http://www.healthremedies.com/intrac...ectracell.html

Do it 2x/year until stabilized, then 1x/year
                  Last edited by nuttmegs17; 01-16-2012, 08:31 PM.

Comment

The Low Dose Naltrexone Homepage

Need to ask my doc about this

Comment

Originally Posted by smgj (how to heal a leaky gut)
                      Treatment:
                      - A good protein powder to add micronutrients and support the liver (a leaky gut don't give you the micro nutrients you need - I got Ultra Clear Plus PH. A working liver is crucial for a hypo for t3 conversion, and a working gut as well because up to 20% of your t3 is created by friendly bacteria)
                      - Glutamine powder to heal the gut lining (my leaky gut was made considerably worse by daily usage of a painkiller with panodil)
                      - FOS (fructooligosaccharides to feed friendly bacteria)
                      - Probiotics (stool tests showed very little gut bacteria of all types (friend and foe) - I had 3-4 antibiotic treatments in 2008-2010)
                      - In periods anti-fungual treatment for candida (both nystatine and grapeseed extract) and no sugar/yeast/alcohol of any kind
                      - In periods HCL and/or digestive enzymes (based on how well I digest food at the time and on how heavy a meal is)
                      - Of course clean foods without additives & avoid foods that I didn't tolerate and bone broth soups (oxtail!)
                      - Support with vitamins & minerals to replace

How I knew it worked ... Well, my poo is not runny anymore and I don't have to go 5-7 times a day ... Watching stools is my new hobby.
                      Other signs are that my need for thyroid medication is not increasing anymore and stronger nails (gut is working and digest micronutrients again!). But I still work on getting enough vegetables and gut support through food and probiotics. (But at least less pills.)

Comment

From Digital Surgeon:

The Hashimoto's thing......it makes up 95% of all hypothyroid human cases today and it treated by medicine with CW. Most who have it have leaky guts and low levels of intracellular glutathione. Glutathione is a very important antioxidant that plays an important role in maintaining the correct oxidation-reduction potential inside cells. It scavenges oxidising free radicals, detoxifies heavy metals, pesticides, tylenol and leukotrienes. It stores and transports amino acids, regulates the cell cycle, protein synthesis and gene expression, and protects thyroid cells from self-generated hydrogen peroxide. Glutathione is quite important for patients with Hashimoto's. Glutathione protects the body in an extraordinary number of ways, but the fact that it protects the thyroid against hydrogen peroxide is particularly significant for the thyroid. In untreated Hashimoto's, the body's levels of T4 (thyroxine) begin to fall, and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels generally start to climb. In order to stimulate the thyroid to make more T4, the TSH activates the thyroid cells to make hydrogen peroxide. If the TSH levels remain high, the thyroid cells continue to produce more and more hydrogen peroxide, and this can lead to increased inflammation, scarring, and ultimately the destruction of thyroid cells. If the hydrogen peroxide manages to gain entry to the cell, the damage becomes far worse.

Hydrogen peroxide is thought to play a significant role in the development and progression of Hashimoto's disease, despite the fact that the thyroid gland actually requires hydrogen peroxide for thyroid hormone formation. Hydrogen peroxide is normally produced during the oxidation of the iodine ions. It is an essential part of the thyroid function. But the critical factor is the protection of the thyroid cells (glutathione level), and the place in which the iodine ions are oxidized. If oxidation occurs inside the cells, the hydrogen peroxide is produced inside the cells, and the cells sustain damage.

A study found that if hydrogen peroxide is allowed to enter thyroid cells, it attacks and cleaves thyroglobulin (protein within the thyroid), producing fragments that are able to diffuse into other cells and these fragments were recognized by autoantibodies taken from people with Hashimoto's disease. This suggests that hydrogen peroxide entry into thyroid cells may actually be the cause of Hashimoto's disease!!!! SO if you have Hashimoto's your glutathione levels maybe a proxy of how bad your disease really is. It can be a measure of really how leaky your gut is too.

The predominant infiltrating cells in autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis are phagocytic macrophages, neutrophils and various T-cells; the macrophages and neutrophils damage the tissues by releasing inflammatory cytokines and proteins, including hydrogen peroxide making things worse because this further depletes glutathione inside the cells. This is complicated by co-morbid B12 and folate deficiencies in the diet because of the leaky gut. Glutathione requires both to be on hand to work well!

The body's stores of glutathione can become depleted through any stressor. For example, alcoholism, HIV infection, cirrhosis, diabetes, surgical trauma, fasting, environmental toxins, overuse of acetaminophen, chronic stress, inadequate diet, elevated adrenaline release, extensive strenuous exercise, or infection. It is also associated with cigarette smoking, as smoking increases the rate at which the body uses glutathione.

Glutathione is not easily absorbed through oral supplementation, but is synthesized in the body from amino acids, and body levels can be increased through oral administration of glutathione precursors such as N-acetylcysteine (NAC), S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe) and L-gluatmine. Getting it into cells is even tougher and requires IV infusions using lipid soluble mediums. For serious autoimmune diseases it is often a great treatment. Oral administration of NAC of doses up to 8,000 mg/day was not found to cause clinically significant adverse reactions, although doses of 600mg/day were enough to significantly improve symptoms of chronic lung disease like COPD. I have used over 3000 mgs a day when my HS-CRP was around 3.0. When I have falls in Vitamin D levels I also reach for NAC or sometimes WHEY protein. Whey also breaks down into glutathione and reduces inflammation. This is why Whey use can augment weight loss in people with high CRP's

Intake of NAC does increase zinc loss through urine, so zinc supplementation would be advisable for anyone supplementing NAC over an extended period. This can deplete your sex steroid hormones if you do not eat a lot of foods with zinc. Me personally when I take a ton I always make my oysters rockerfeller recipe.

Glutathione can also be up-regulated by vitamins C and E, and alpha lipoic acid, PQQ, spinach, offal, yeast extract, and broccoli. N-acetylcysteine is considered to be the most effective, fastest route to raising levels of glutathione. It also increases levels of glutathione only when there is an actual need, and it seems to concentrate only in tissues where glutathione is required. This need corresponds to high MMP9 levels in cells.

The fact that NAC is able to restore glutathione levels and thereby protect the thyroid is particularly interesting given its ability to crack open bacteria such as chlamydia pneumonia, which hide inside the body's own cells during one part of their life cycle, using the host cell's machinery to replicate. Chlamydia pneumoniae has been implicated in autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis, and N-acetylcysteine is considered an important part of treatment. I do not consider these diseases as part of AI's. I consider finding titers of these in patients to be patho-mneumonic that glutathione levels are very very low in these people.

Comment

From Mama Grok:
                          Those with die-off, try detox baths. I don't really know how they work, but they have for us. Add 1-2C of real sea salt or epsom salts or ACV or baking soda to a good hot bath and soak 20-30m. Somehow it helpls ease die-off symptoms, probably through opening pores to help eliminate through that path or something. I try not to make the bath super hot, or the chlorine evaporation gets too strong and gives me a headache, probably countering any benefit I'm getting! That's rare, though, and I'm more sensitive to chlorine evaporation in hot water than anyone else I know.

Comment

Latest hormone panel in drawn on day 2 of cycle janz's comments in red

Testosterone Serum 23 (8-48) rather low
                            Pregnolone, MS 54 very low
                            DHEA-Sulfate 290.5 (98.8 - 340.0) low
                            Estradiol 110.0- low
                            Progesterone .6--------very low, but--------------when was blood drawn
                            Insulin 8.0 (2.6 - 24.9) high

cd-57 panel

Ranges in parenthesis
                            CD8-/CD 57+ Lymphs 4.0 (2.0 -17.0)
                            Abs CD8-CD57 120 (60-360)

WBC 8.8 (4.0-10.5)
                            RBC 4.59 (3.8 - 5.10)
                            Hemoglobin 14.0 (11.5-15.5)
                            Hematocrit 43.4 (34.0- 44.0)
                            MCV 95 (80-98)
                            MCH 30.5 (27 - 34)
                            MCHC 32.3 (32 - 36)
                            RDW 13.2 (11.7 - 15.0)
                            Platelets 238 ( 140 - 415)
                            Neutrophils 58 (40-74)
                            Lymphs 34 (14-46)
                            Monocytes 5 (4-13)
                            Eos 2 (0-7)

Nothing jumps out at me...so hoping I'm ok on the Lyme front?

Comment

From Digital Surgeon:

The Hashimoto's thing......it makes up 95% of all hypothyroid human cases today and it treated by medicine with CW. Most who have it have leaky guts and low levels of intracellular glutathione. Glutathione is a very important antioxidant that plays an important role in maintaining the correct oxidation-reduction potential inside cells. It scavenges oxidising free radicals, detoxifies heavy metals, pesticides, tylenol and leukotrienes. It stores and transports amino acids, regulates the cell cycle, protein synthesis and gene expression, and protects thyroid cells from self-generated hydrogen peroxide. Glutathione is quite important for patients with Hashimoto's. Glutathione protects the body in an extraordinary number of ways, but the fact that it protects the thyroid against hydrogen peroxide is particularly significant for the thyroid. In untreated Hashimoto's, the body's levels of T4 (thyroxine) begin to fall, and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) levels generally start to climb. In order to stimulate the thyroid to make more T4, the TSH activates the thyroid cells to make hydrogen peroxide. If the TSH levels remain high, the thyroid cells continue to produce more and more hydrogen peroxide, and this can lead to increased inflammation, scarring, and ultimately the destruction of thyroid cells. If the hydrogen peroxide manages to gain entry to the cell, the damage becomes far worse.

Hydrogen peroxide is thought to play a significant role in the development and progression of Hashimoto's disease, despite the fact that the thyroid gland actually requires hydrogen peroxide for thyroid hormone formation. Hydrogen peroxide is normally produced during the oxidation of the iodine ions. It is an essential part of the thyroid function. But the critical factor is the protection of the thyroid cells (glutathione level), and the place in which the iodine ions are oxidized. If oxidation occurs inside the cells, the hydrogen peroxide is produced inside the cells, and the cells sustain damage.

A study found that if hydrogen peroxide is allowed to enter thyroid cells, it attacks and cleaves thyroglobulin (protein within the thyroid), producing fragments that are able to diffuse into other cells – and these fragments were recognized by autoantibodies taken from people with Hashimoto's disease. This suggests that hydrogen peroxide entry into thyroid cells may actually be the cause of Hashimoto's disease!!!! SO if you have Hashimoto's your glutathione levels maybe a proxy of how bad your disease really is. It can be a measure of really how leaky your gut is too.

The predominant infiltrating cells in autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto's thyroiditis are phagocytic macrophages, neutrophils and various T-cells; the macrophages and neutrophils damage the tissues by releasing inflammatory cytokines and proteins, including hydrogen peroxide making things worse because this further depletes glutathione inside the cells. This is complicated by co-morbid B12 and folate deficiencies in the diet because of the leaky gut. Glutathione requires both to be on hand to work well!

The body's stores of glutathione can become depleted through any stressor. For example, alcoholism, HIV infection, cirrhosis, diabetes, surgical trauma, fasting, environmental toxins, overuse of acetaminophen, chronic stress, inadequate diet, elevated adrenaline release, extensive strenuous exercise, or infection. It is also associated with cigarette smoking, as smoking increases the rate at which the body uses glutathione.

Glutathione is not easily absorbed through oral supplementation, but is synthesized in the body from amino acids, and body levels can be increased through oral administration of glutathione precursors such as N-acetylcysteine (NAC), S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe) and L-gluatmine. Getting it into cells is even tougher and requires IV infusions using lipid soluble mediums. For serious autoimmune diseases it is often a great treatment. Oral administration of NAC of doses up to 8,000 mg/day was not found to cause clinically significant adverse reactions, although doses of 600mg/day were enough to significantly improve symptoms of chronic lung disease like COPD. I have used over 3000 mgs a day when my HS-CRP was around 3.0. When I have falls in Vitamin D levels I also reach for NAC or sometimes WHEY protein. Whey also breaks down into glutathione and reduces inflammation. This is why Whey use can augment weight loss in people with high CRP's

Intake of NAC does increase zinc loss through urine, so zinc supplementation would be advisable for anyone supplementing NAC over an extended period. This can deplete your sex steroid hormones if you do not eat a lot of foods with zinc. Me personally when I take a ton I always make my oysters rockerfeller recipe.

Glutathione can also be up-regulated by vitamins C and E, and alpha lipoic acid, PQQ, spinach, offal, yeast extract, and broccoli. N-acetylcysteine is considered to be the most effective, fastest route to raising levels of glutathione. It also increases levels of glutathione only when there is an actual need, and it seems to concentrate only in tissues where glutathione is required. This need corresponds to high MMP9 levels in cells.

The fact that NAC is able to restore glutathione levels and thereby protect the thyroid is particularly interesting given its ability to crack open bacteria such as chlamydia pneumonia, which hide inside the body's own cells during one part of their life cycle, using the host cell's machinery to replicate. Chlamydia pneumoniae has been implicated in autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis, and N-acetylcysteine is considered an important part of treatment. I do not consider these diseases as part of AI's. I consider finding titers of these in patients to be patho-mneumonic that glutathione levels are very very low in these people.

Comment

test

Comment

Working...
                                X