The Girl in White Tiger Field

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
    ....Even at 5'3", six or seven eggs seems more reasonable it it's your main source of good fat and protein.
    Whoa. I'm 5'3", around her weight, and 6-7 eggs would make me puke.

3 is about all I can do. Usually I just do 2. Everyone's different, though.
    Steph
    My Primal Meanderings

Comment

Originally posted by Knifegill View Post
      I'm looking at the food you list for breakfast. It's about enough food for a small dog, maybe a few chickens. Have you entered your meals into fitday to see how many calories you are actually eating? Looks like you're starving to me, but I could be wrong. I mean, two eggs is often the most substantial thing I see. Even at 5'3", six or seven eggs seems more reasonable it it's your main source of good fat and protein.
      I suppose it's possible that I'm not getting enough. Especially since lunch is usually not even happening (but that's laziness on my part as far as making and planning or else I'm out). I am 5'3" but I am not what you'd call a slender build. I'm wider and a bigger frame. Of course all the extra fat I have makes it hard for me to tell just how I should look, but I'm more muscular in general (like if I work out enough I tend to gain biceps quickly.)

But sure you may have a point. Perhaps I just don't have much of an appetite? And trust me this is more food than what I'm used to eating. Because of IBS and perhaps a bit of "paleo perfectionism" I used to eat sporadically and most of it was just crap. I can tell that my body is making subtle but quick changes. I don't feel as puffy in some areas, especially my bloated gut.

And yeah, the idea of eating more than 2 eggs is CW creeping in I think (not to mention I'm trying to be conservative with how much food I consume because of money.) Next time I make burgers I may try to eat that for breakfast. I hate using counters because often they don't have the foods I eat and I have to plug everything in but I'll try using it.
      F|26yr|5'3"
      1st Start: 8.25.12
      SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
      HW: 195

Comment

Originally posted by onalark View Post
        Whoa. I'm 5'3", around her weight, and 6-7 eggs would make me puke.

3 is about all I can do. Usually I just do 2. Everyone's different, though.
        Hi Onalark

Definitely agree. Yesterday's breakfast was actually filling...in a "omg I can't take another bite" sort of way. Eating a little less than a dozen a day?! Can't do it. Plus eggs get old REAL quick.
        F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

I love eggs so much. I take ghee or avocado oil, put in skillet, TFAL being my favorite right now, sauté cut up onions, red peppers, yellow squash, broccoli, little sea salt and org black pepper, cook maybe 5 mins, break 2 eggs over, top on, cook another couple of minutes, shaved parm and 1/4 avocado w/hot sauce on top, oh, my, it's so filling, no hunger for 5-6 hrs.

Also, deviled eggs make the most wonderful snack or side at mealtime.

Quickly cook some high quality sausage, scramble 2 eggs, put in bowl, pc of cheese on eggs, sausage on top of that.. It's a low carb scrambler like at Krystal, so good.. Goldie on a breakfast thread yesterday posted an awesome egg cup recipe with ham, onions, mushrooms, I'm making a muffin pan of them later. Eggs are cheap, very filling and extremely good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Byakko View Post
            Definitely agree. Yesterday's breakfast was actually filling...in a "omg I can't take another bite" sort of way. Eating a little less than a dozen a day?! Can't do it. Plus eggs get old REAL quick.
            Yeah. Breakfast is usually the meal where I can get away with the fewest calories. I just don't need much.

And agreed on eggs. I'm just not one of those people who's all MM EGGS CAN'T GET ENOUGH EAT 'EM UP. I eat them because they're cheap and easy, not because I luuuuurv them.
            Steph
            My Primal Meanderings

Comment

I used to be a peanut butter or cheese toast person every morning weekdays, weekend was waffles, French toast or pancakes which would set me up for snacking all damn day long. Very important to keep carbs low in the morning not only for no hunger pains but also for energy all day long. Then, to sleep better, save carbs for evening, maybe half a sweet potato with supper, a little fruit, raw honey in camomile tea works great for me every night, honestly it's like a sleeping pill. Sorry to keep harping on the camomile but it's a gift from mother nature.

Comment

Judy: Thanks for the tips. Also I wasn't aware more carbs in the morning makes you more liable to snack later on. I'd like to just forgo the veggies and find some uncured bacon (or whatever bacon that isn't considered dirty.) I'll try that one day. And it's fine. I'm glad you enjoy it. I can drink it but I'm not a big tea person to begin with. I will one day try adding a little something to it.

Onalark: I like eggs a lot but I'm not like…sucking them down. I'm more like you in that they're cheap and easy. Still I don't want to over do it. Sometimes I'm not hungry when I get up (but that's possibly because it's almost lunch time when I do. Dx)
                F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

B: 3 eggs, 1 cup of spinach, 1/2 cup green and red peppers
                  S: banana
                  S: Larabar
                  D: lemon-dill salmon with roughly 1/2-1 cup red and green peppers and carrots
                  S: grapes

Okay well I'll just have to try to wake up earlier. The problem is me waking up in time for lunch. Anyway I tried three eggs today and I guess it was okay but right after I cooked it I wondered if I could stomach that much but somehow I did. I may just stick to 2.

Definitely starting to notice changes in my body, more specifically my middle. My pants fit differently, the fly is sitting straighter and not totally cutting off circulation. I don't feel as if I have a heavy brick sitting in my stomach (even though I still have not been able to improve digestion). My "good" bra is not as tight around the band and I wasn't as zombie-esque. Cravings...they're there but I believe the intensity has gone down. I think I'm making up for it by eating Larabars. I don't feel I should be having more than 2 serv. of fruit a day and I honestly did not want to eat Larabars at home. That was not what they were intended for.

I believe it was Robb Wolf who said it would be good to get some blood work done before going paleo. But I don't have time and resources to just pop buy and ask for one. However, I found an old record of some scores I got from a high school health fair back in 2003. I will probably end up using those to compare with any new scores. I think it'll be interesting and I'm glad I saved it.

It's like from 2pm to 5pm I get the munchies and sometimes after dinner (which I strive to eat at 6pm). At this point I'm just playing by ear. When it comes to making adjustments I'm not sure what else needs to be done.
                  F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

Kind of annoyed right now tbh.

One of the things that appealed to me regarding Paleo/Primal was that it didn't involve much counting. I have to say right now I HATE tracking food. I don't mind measuring the amount of food I use in terms of cups or grams (though I am not too happy with having to weight or guesstimate meat weight.) I am concerned with getting enough nutrition and macronutrients (if that's the right term.) But FitDay, Paleotrack are aggravating to use. I try to cook simply and I just want to plug in what I ate, but I end up having to search and plus in weird combos and not being able to figure how to customize foods...ugh.

Still not happy I don't have better plans in place for this. I'm still desperately trying to train my brain to work out all the details of shopping, prepping etc.

As for cravings...I guess they're not as nagging, but suddenly I find myself wanting to reach for quick snacks other than cooking. I don't know why. Maybe I'm dehydrated (because I'm craving fruit atm.) But my lips get chapped if I drink water.

Yeah whatever, I'm a mess right now.
                    F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

• B: N/A
                      L: 1 banana and 3 eggs, 1 cup spinach, 1/4 cup red and green peppers
                      D: lemon dill salmon
                      S: larabar

I'm not even counting breakfast because I got up and ate so late that I won't even say when. All I did was pig out today and for the first time since starting paleo my stomach didn't feel too good. It's safe to say the major fog of the low carb flu SEEMS to be over but I suppose I'm not eating enough; today certain proves that.
                      F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

• B: 2 eggs, 1 cup spinach
                        S: banana
                        L: 2 AG hotdogs
                        D: two chicken breasts and 1 cup of kale

Some things

-the more I cook the more I want and need my own space and my own kitchen supplies. The kitchen is usually a mess but with me cooking more along with mom's cooking, it's using up more stuff. Definitely need some wooden tools.

-I need to cook when mom isn't cooking. Since I'm still a newb cook it's more stressful for me to have to do stuff when maneuvering around one or two other people in the kitchen, not to mention the extra mess. I welcome her help but I'd like to keep the kitchen for myself.

-I'm having more cravings for sweet things lately; both for fruit and baked treats. I'm possibly not getting enough of something.

-Still not having regular bathroom visits. Today I felt like I had to go but couldn't (not to mention I had to leave the house and didn't have time to go.)

-PLANNING

-I need more finger foods, especially if I'm not getting enough during a meal.

-Getting tired of eggs and I'm already over spinach. (Thankfully mom got some kale for me.)

-I feel bad when I see other people eating what they want. (Mom just made Sausage Pizza, a favorite of mine.) And being trapped in a car while the others eat their fast food is not fun.

-sometimes I think Paleo "baking" just isn't worth it.

-I want a fruity drink, like lemonade.

*crawls in a hole*
                        F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

• It sounds to me like there is an underlying discontent in your life from some of the comments you make. What do you do with your days? Go to school? Work? Part time or full time on those? You mention that you sleep in late and don't sound very happy about that. What makes you want to get up in the morning? Do you stay up late at night playing video games, watching TV or reading? I ask these things because I want you to think about what path you are on, what you want and how to get there.

As far as cooking goes, why not plan some time in the kitchen when you know mom wont be there so that you can play alone. Maybe later in the eveneings or mid afternoon or a marathon on the weekend to prep for the next week and maybe make a healthy feast for the family. I often prep for dinner early in the day as my motivation often approaches zero close to dinner time and I'd much rather be playing in the pool with my son.

Check out some of the paleo baking treat recipes on here - you may be surprised at the yummy stuff that you can make. Check out Elanaspantry.com for more recipes - she does lots of almond flour and coconut flour stuff. These sites saved me when I went primal as I took the family with me by captive. Having some bread like stuff and treat seriously kept them from rioting!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                            It sounds to me like there is an underlying discontent in your life from some of the comments you make. What do you do with your days? Go to school? Work? Part time or full time on those? You mention that you sleep in late and don't sound very happy about that. What makes you want to get up in the morning? Do you stay up late at night playing video games, watching TV or reading? I ask these things because I want you to think about what path you are on, what you want and how to get there.

As far as cooking goes, why not plan some time in the kitchen when you know mom wont be there so that you can play alone. Maybe later in the eveneings or mid afternoon or a marathon on the weekend to prep for the next week and maybe make a healthy feast for the family. I often prep for dinner early in the day as my motivation often approaches zero close to dinner time and I'd much rather be playing in the pool with my son.

Check out some of the paleo baking treat recipes on here - you may be surprised at the yummy stuff that you can make. Check out Elanaspantry.com for more recipes - she does lots of almond flour and coconut flour stuff. These sites saved me when I went primal as I took the family with me by captive. Having some bread like stuff and treat seriously kept them from rioting!
                            I don't mind saying so but I'd rather not put it here. I'll PM it.

My family (especially mom) is awfully picky when it comes to tastes. She won't even venture to cook with coconut oil. And my dad often side-eyes something I make for myself (the ironic thing is he grew up on a farm, milking cows and suddenly "grassfed meat" is weird to him. But he had the nerve to eat one of the burgers I made. Dx) I just want to work on myself right now, get myself healthy. And that's why I need to plan more and that's causing me some stress because I need to figure out how to get into a kind of cycle where I don't have to think too hard about what to make/eat.

As to the baking, I tried making some little "pancakes". It was 2 bananas, 1 egg and a bit of almond butter. Personally I can't justify spending a bunch of money on specialty flours when there's meat to worry about so that's the only reason I tried to do it. Basically it wouldn't form right and just became a mushy burnt mound. I got frustrated when I wrote that last entry, for many different reasons.
                            F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

• I barely at anything today.
                              B/L: 1 banana, two pieces of chicken breasts
                              S: a few baby carrots
                              D: 2 eggs, some green and red peppers.

Today is officially the 1 week mark of me going paleo/primal. I didn't think I'd make it, but I did and I'm proud of myself for getting this far; proud and surprised. It wasn't a perfect record but I was able to resist the foods that are not good for me. I didn't cheat or cave. I didn't even eat a milk chocolate Hershey kiss or Fun size candy bar. I was lucky to be rewarded with changes that also inspired me to keep it up and if I can get my rear in gear to make better plans, not be lazy etc then I hope to do even better.

Positive Changes
                              -My skin has improved. It's not a drastic change, but it has changed. I had a dry flakey T-zone before starting. I can say that isn't the case now. My face seems softer, not as dull.

-My stomach is not as bloated. I started with a 34" waistline and a heavy feeling in my gut. Now on Day 7, I have a 32" waistline...and honestly I can't remember the last time my stomach was that small. For a year or so I've been yo-yoing. But my clothing fits differently; my bra doesn't choke the life out of me, my jeans are not poking out, my shirts give me more wiggle room. This confirms that I seem to lose weight around my middle first because I haven't observed changes elsewhere. As for pounds lost? I'm not focusing on that because weight fluctuates so much. I may have lost a pound or two. I have a feeling despite being petite I'm not going to lose a ton of weight. My body structure is thicker and this makes it harder to pin point a Goal Weight. Let me state for the record that I did not exercise during this week.

-I learned to make burgers and found it to be easier than previously imagined.

-I earned more cooking experience points. I do still get a bit nervous and sometimes want someone to observe me and tell me if I'm doing okay, but the point is I'm more involved and I've been depending myself to provide the meals. I haven't eaten anything my mom has prepared (even though I'd like to.)

-It's minor but, I was allowed a small space in one of the cupboards for all my primal/paleo things. My coconut oil, olive oil, fish sauce, ACV, dark chocolate etc. It's nice to know I have a corner for myself and on the opposite end where they keep their "goodies". It's just a shelf, but I like knowing I can go to it and see what makes up my primal/paleo diet at a glance.

What didn't happen
                              -Cravings are still there (especially when hungry), but less intense at least.
                              -Not a lot of extra energy, but it's probably because I'm not eating well rounded meals or getting enough supplementation and quite probably lack of proper sleep.
                              -Not much change in digestion. I probably need more fat...?

Where I need to improve
                              -...PLANNING PLANNING PLANNING. Not having a plan HURTS you, especially when you're trapped in a house that still has a lot of the junk you shouldn't eat. This is not something to experience when trying to start and transition.
                              -I need more sleep.
                              -Stop being lazy. I have a tendency to try to scout out recipes that won't take long, but it seems I'm a little bored by them. Sometimes I just want a bunch of flavor and if I limit myself I won't get it. I need to stop being lazy and just cook it.
                              -Exercising/being active more. Even if it's just dancing or yoga, I have to get moving.

Well that's all I can think of to say atm. I'm happy to have made it to a week and I want to continue into the next week, and the next.
                              F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

• You have done great in your first week!!!! As young as you are and to have temptations all around, very few people would have been able to resist the cravings, especially candy bars. Be very proud of yourself and know the planning will become easier and easier as you continue to get stronger. Tears came into my eyes when I read about your little spot in the cupboards. Hang in there; you are doing an awesome job.

Comment

Working...
                                X