No announcement yet.

The Girl in White Tiger Field

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judy, is SparkPeople better at tracking than FitDay or Paleo Track? (I used to frequent SP before I found out about primal/paleo.)

At this point I suppose I'm just trying to get a well rounded meal plan going. This started out just being an experiment to prove to myself if this was worth checking out (though obviously there is a lot of proof that's its beneficial). I would love it if I could at least go pure paleo by September and keep at it until I can get over the cravings. I like the butter and I am glad that one of the local stores stocks it for less, but I still am iffy about it. It's still dairy and I think if I over do the butter it might not be good for me. But at this point butter would be the only dairy item I consume (making my diet mostly paleo).

B: ....two pieces of toast and a glass of KoolAid...
    S: ...brown mule ice cream
    L: small salad with spinach, cucumbers and 1 Applegate Farms turkey dog (with olive oil as base for dressing)
    D: a little bit of what mom cooked; sausage with green beans (not cooked in healthy oil or pan)

I had a horrible night last night so this morning I sort of fell back into what I'd usually eat when I had a flare. (The Kool-Aid was just pure craving and I realize how unwise it was to drink that.) When I get a flare I tend to eat like a bird for fear of upsetting my stomach and making it more sore. The ice cream, also a craving. I've learned my lesson. I have to start the day better even if I am feeling very ill. (I suppose a plain egg or two would be better.)

I want this so bad but I keep messing up. If I could make it a week that would make me happy and I hope would give me more strength to make another week and another until I've been paleo for a month. Probably making this way harder than I should (I think I get scatterbrained/overwhelmed easily). But I'll vow to do better. I was happy with the fact that I did have a lunch for once!
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

Comment

I usually dont count stuff much either. I just avoid high carb things like banana and sweet potatoes for the most part. Greens have very low carb counts - the lowest of the veges so go wild with them. The rest of the veges like onions and carrots have some, but again, nothing like grains or startches. Fruit is sweet and so has higher carbs than most veges. An apple will go a long way to help you and has like 20 carbs. Instead of that quick toast for breaky, an apple is sweet, crunchy and filling AND a grap and go and portable; cheap too. Maybe some fruit flavored tea will healp you avoid the kool-aid.

Comment

Yep, gotta stay away from that toast
        Btw, thx, mud flinger for the wise compliment, with age comes wisdom.. We hope anyway lol

I use sparkpeople because it was the first one I tried. I do wish they had a low carb plan. I may look around for others.

Try your ever loving best to avoid sugar and grains. You know they're the enemy and it IS hard as hell not to wolf em down, but they're the very worst for you. Read Mark's book, meditate on this change in your life and just make up your mind you won't touch the junk. If you can go one day, the moment you wake up the next morning, you'll be so proud of yourself for not giving in, it will immediately put you in a good mood and will strengthen your willpower for another day.

Comment

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
          Yep, gotta stay away from that toast
          Btw, thx, mud flinger for the wise compliment, with age comes wisdom.. We hope anyway lol

I use sparkpeople because it was the first one I tried. I do wish they had a low carb plan. I may look around for others.

Try your ever loving best to avoid sugar and grains. You know they're the enemy and it IS hard as hell not to wolf em down, but they're the very worst for you. Read Mark's book, meditate on this change in your life and just make up your mind you won't touch the junk. If you can go one day, the moment you wake up the next morning, you'll be so proud of yourself for not giving in, it will immediately put you in a good mood and will strengthen your willpower for another day.
          Judy your comment couldn't have come at a better time. Last night I promised myself I would get through Saturday. I don't have any excuses. I won't be leaving home so at least I can concentrate on preparing the appropriate meals or escape to another location if I'm presented with temptation. I even thought of making a list of reasons why I'm going paleo/primal so I cannot forget.

I want to thank you and Mud Flinger both for sticking in here because I have to say it does encourage me deeply. I've always sort of hated forums because you get ignored easily but I kept coming back because I felt it was necessary to log all my thoughts and feelings and data in a public place, regardless of if people read it or not. I have a very good friend in CA who I chat with frequently and although she is cheering me on, she isn't interested in going primal or paleo, so it's not quite the same as having someone talk to you who has been there (though I think I am rubbing off on her.)

I'll report back later with my day's meals.
          F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

Wow. What a way to start a day anew.

I wake up, go into the kitchen and the first thing I see, is a stack of homemade pancakes. POW. Temptation before I can even get into the kitchen. But then after breakfast, lo and behold I realize that my period started. Not fun. With that said, here's the run down of what I ate.

B: Thai Style Eggs (2 "cage free" eggs cooked in butter)
            S: 5 strawberries
            L: 1 cup spinach, with some cucumber 1 Applegate Farms turkey dog with 2 tbsps of olive oil as base for dressing
            D: grassfed burger with 1 cup steamed veggies

Water Count: 2 16oz bottles of water

After breakfast is when I started to feel truly miserable in terms of both cramping but also cravings. I haven't been settled all day. Even now I'm annoyed and fidgety. Drinking water had little effect at helping kill the cravings too.

BUT

I didn't stray.

I can't tell whether or not my cycle is making me more edgy (it's very possible) but even now I am wanting something sweet or soft and bready. (Damn pancakes!) I'm kind of exhausted from both trying to resist and the thought of having to keep this up…but I keep reminding myself that I can be strong and do this and it's just for my benefit. It may seem that I'm not pleased but I am. The night is not over, there is still room for error, but I sort of feel like to go and mess up after suffering all day, would be…enraging. But this is exactly why I want to succeed. I hate the hold cravings have on me.

"Suffer the pain of discipline or the pain of regret" Either way, it's painful. Might as well do the right thing.

P.S. Making hamburgers was painfully easy and I am ashamed of myself for stressing and freaking out unnecessarily.
            Last edited by Byakko; 08-25-2012, 09:54 PM.
            F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

Nothing to be ashamed of. Instead, be very proud that you had a great day even if you 'strayed' a little before the day was over. You are going to feel crappy for a few days while the toxins leave your body. When I went thru it, I slept as much as possible, also cleaning out your closet will keep your mind on clothes, and anytime you can organize you will feel better. I went from closet to closet cleaning out, straightening up, giving stuff away.

I know it was hard seeing those pancakes. Our 'sweet' neighbor brought over a load of handmade caramels with sea salt, I thanked her, set aside 4 for DH who wasn't home and gave the rest to 2 other neighbors. I did want one but knew one wouldn't be enough once I had butter and sugar mixed together, so I stayed away from them. DH ate one with gusto when he got home, proceeded to open the others and scarfed them down. So, there will be temptations all around you, it'll be hard at first, but you can get thru it and then it becomes quite easy.

Comment

Congrats! Quite possibly, your hardest day is behind you. Now you know that you can do it even when you feel crappy for other very valid reasons. Many would have used that excuse to stray, but you stayed the course and should be proud.

By the way - those pancakes were lying to you like a guy that wants in your pants - they really weren't that good!

Comment

Judy: You're right. At one point last night I thought "Will I ever feel better" and I wonder if the cravings will actually go away. A lot of people claim they don't have it anymore, but others say otherwise. I guess either way I have to stick to it. I just want to feel alive. But thanks for sharing that story. It took a lot of energy to not eat my Larabar. I told myself I'd save it for traveling only. But I'd love the idea of making my own. The Chocolate flavors have soy and milk. So I've had to find other flavors, but to make my own chocolate one at home would be awesome.

Still I was feeling pretty terrible overall but I'll strive to keep strong and stick to it. Even though I'd feel bad, I know I'd feel emotionally worse if I cheated.

Mud Flinger: I hope it is. I know it won't be easy but I hope it won't be AS HARD as time goes on.
                  I agree about the pancakes. I'm debating on whether or not its wise to make paleo/primal treats (you know like...grainless cake or something) but I also wonder if it wouldn't make things, other non-paleo treats, harder to resist. I almost feel I need a Larabar to get me through but we'll see.

Thanks again to the both of you!
                  F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

B: 2 "cage free" scrambled eggs with 1 cup of spinach and 1 small sausage patty
                    L: N/A
                    S: Larabar
                    D: grassfed burger with 1 cup of mixed steamed vegetables
                    S: about 1 cup of green grapes
                    W: 1 16oz bottle (working on the second one)

Today I felt much worse. I was and still am quite feverish. My body aches, I feel hot and I have just been feeling gross all day. Around 2 in the afternoon, I had to get in bed. I had some kind of weird sinus drainage going on which can sometimes cause me to feel nausea because of the gunk going into my stomach. Is it the weather changing? Maybe. Is it paleo? Don't know. I'm a little better now I suppose but still worn out. I suppose this wasn't the best time to start going paleo what with menstrual symptoms as a valid factor. I did cave and eat the Larabar but it's not like it's off limits. Made that bar last me a good while and enjoyed it. I also ate a small sausage patty mom made. It's likely that it is not "clean" but I suppose it's better than sugar or grains. Felt I needed it to round out the eggs. The lack of lunch was possibly due to me waking up very late and feeling it would be cutting it close to dinner.

I had a few times where I felt like cheating but I didn't. I certainly hope as days go on I'll start feeling better. I feel more sluggish than I usually do. I still get more hungry at night, perhaps simply out of habit, but I ate grapes for dessert after a fairly big meal. I probably am full but am too wracked with cravings to notice. If I have anything else tonight it will be water I think. If I have an attack I'll eat a strawberry or maybe some carrots. I want to try to stop eating before 8pm.

I have to say I haven't seen any "activity" yet and it's Day 2. I was hoping going Paleo would help with the constipation but it's still way early so I hope that something good happens.
                    Last edited by Byakko; 08-26-2012, 08:30 PM.
                    F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

It sounds like you may be fighting off a bug. Feverish is not something I've heard to describe low carb flu. Hoping you feel better. It can take a while for the bowel to sort things out and it sounds like yours has a tendency to wig out anyways. I would say do what you need to in that area but get right back to eating right ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                        It sounds like you may be fighting off a bug. Feverish is not something I've heard to describe low carb flu. Hoping you feel better. It can take a while for the bowel to sort things out and it sounds like yours has a tendency to wig out anyways. I would say do what you need to in that area but get right back to eating right ASAP.
                        Well I can't be sure if it's a bug, change in whether, my cycle or paleo. Either way not a good feeling.

B: 2 eggs w/ 1 cup spinach, cooked in butter
                        S: 3/4 Cherry Pie Larabar (because it was disgusting)
                        S: banana
                        L: 2 Applegate Turkey Dogs, a few carrots w/ 2 tbsp of almond butter
                        D: grassfed burger w/ steamed veggies (a bit of butter over veggies)
                        S: grapes

*had one or two bits of dark chocolate, pretty small pieces

I woke up earlier than usually this morning…well I got up. At that time I guess I didn't feel particularly sore or sick but I'm still lacking energy. Good news is I finally had a bathroom visit, though nothing about it has changed. In other news; it may just be placebo effect but I think I'm not as bloated and my stomach is going down? I am not able to measure and see a difference but I feel different. Can't totally sure. Too early to say.

I sort of hate myself right now for not having any planned meals. I have one left over and everything else needs thawing. I also over did it on the sweet things, but so far have no caved, as much as I want to. I'm trying my best to stay in tune with my body but before I started I just sort of ate whatever whenever and snacked constantly. It's hard to get out of the habit of snacking.

Some things:
                        -I had my lunch too late and too close to dinner time.
                        -I will probably not have more than 1 tbsp of almond butter. I'm not crazy about the taste but it's good to have if I need a boost.

Today just didn't feel like I did that great...
                        F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                          Well I can't be sure if it's a bug, change in whether, my cycle or paleo. Either way not a good feeling.

B: 2 eggs w/ 1 cup spinach, cooked in butter
                          S: 3/4 Cherry Pie Larabar (because it was disgusting)
                          S: banana
                          L: 2 Applegate Turkey Dogs, a few carrots w/ 2 tbsp of almond butter
                          D: grassfed burger w/ steamed veggies (a bit of butter over veggies)
                          S: grapes

*had one or two bits of dark chocolate, pretty small pieces

I woke up earlier than usually this morning…well I got up. At that time I guess I didn't feel particularly sore or sick but I'm still lacking energy. Good news is I finally had a bathroom visit, though nothing about it has changed. In other news; it may just be placebo effect but I think I'm not as bloated and my stomach is going down? I am not able to measure and see a difference but I feel different. Can't totally sure. Too early to say.

I sort of hate myself right now for not having any planned meals. I have one left over and everything else needs thawing. I also over did it on the sweet things, but so far have no caved, as much as I want to. I'm trying my best to stay in tune with my body but before I started I just sort of ate whatever whenever and snacked constantly. It's hard to get out of the habit of snacking.

Some things:
                          -I had my lunch too late and too close to dinner time.
                          -I will probably not have more than 1 tbsp of almond butter. I'm not crazy about the taste but it's good to have if I need a boost.

Today just didn't feel like I did that great...
                          F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

You are doing great, and love yourself at all times.

When you feel like it, jot down some menu plans, lists for new foods, look for coupons, experiment with seasonings, do you like olives and cheese? That snack got me thru many weak moments. I had to make myself drink green tea, now it's my fave, with lime and a little stevia. Some foods may not be totally perfect for you but you can worry about that later when this fog has lifted, and it will lift, sweetie, and you will feel so good, you'll be amazed.

Try to exercise even if it's standing and swinging your arms around to whittle your waist. When you feel like it, do some walking. If it's too hot, go to a mall, walk around for as long as you can. Take a bottle of water with you.

Comment

Originally posted by JudyCr View Post
                              You are doing great, and love yourself at all times.

When you feel like it, jot down some menu plans, lists for new foods, look for coupons, experiment with seasonings, do you like olives and cheese? That snack got me thru many weak moments. I had to make myself drink green tea, now it's my fave, with lime and a little stevia. Some foods may not be totally perfect for you but you can worry about that later when this fog has lifted, and it will lift, sweetie, and you will feel so good, you'll be amazed.

Try to exercise even if it's standing and swinging your arms around to whittle your waist. When you feel like it, do some walking. If it's too hot, go to a mall, walk around for as long as you can. Take a bottle of water with you.
                              Hi Judy, thanks for your comment. Despite this being the 3rd day and not caving to cravings or stress, I was feeling mighty down. Not sure why. Maybe it's being overwhelmed with implementing change or fear or failure or both. Quite frankly I've been down right weepy. But this comment you posted really touched me. I want this so bad; to not feel uncomfortable in my body, to feel strong and full of energy, to do what's right for myself.
                              F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

I'm looking at the food you list for breakfast. It's about enough food for a small dog, maybe a few chickens. Have you entered your meals into fitday to see how many calories you are actually eating? Looks like you're starving to me, but I could be wrong. I mean, two eggs is often the most substantial thing I see. Even at 5'3", six or seven eggs seems more reasonable it it's your main source of good fat and protein.
                                Crohn's, doing SCD

Comment

Working...
                                X