The Girl in White Tiger Field

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    As far as yogurt goes, just try to find one that's full fat or as high a fat content as you can and has less additives (obviously, not yoplait). Fage is a good one. Since you like it sweet, make sure it is either honey or just sugar sweetened (no HFCS). If in doubt, buy it plain and add your own fruit (best to do it this way) so that you know what is in it.

If you are worried about what the doc may say, tell him/her that you have found that grains bother you so you are leaving them out for a while. Tell them that you are trying to focus on whole foods that are not processed. After you have established a baseline that works for you, you may decide to add other foods back in. This is not that radical. Most docs don't have patients that are willing to do this much work to heal themselves. They have been taught to lean on drugs. Can you go to a holistic or paleo doc? If you have access to such, consider yourself lucky. Most of us have to pay out of pocket for an "out of network" doc as most of these are. If nothing else, you can get some baseline tests done and cross that doc off your list of people to try....
    I'll look into the yogurt. I really tried to limit the dairy but I can't say if I'm lactose intolerant. Still, because of my IBS, maybe some dairy..or something fermented will help? Don't know.

I don't have the luxury of doctor-hopping so if I do go to any doctor I just want some tests done. That's all. I tried a more "holistic" nutritionist earlier this year and she didn't tell me anything different than what I'm already doing, except the with the addition of supplements (which did nothing.) But I hope they won't side-eye me. Sometimes I think SOME doctors don't want you to get well. But hopefully he'll be glad to hear I'm trying to eat clean.

---

My aunt in Michigan sent me a book by Deepak Chopra a few months ago about digestion. There's a lot of Ayurvedic talk in it; some of it seriously does not jive with Primal or Paleo. For instance, it talks about forgoing certain veggies and eating gluten-free grains. Or eating less red meat and being more vegetarian. I didn't like the overall tone because it smacks with a lot of CW and Ayurvedic crap I don't really get with, but there seemed to be a few gems.

He mentioned ghee/clarified butter and even included instructions on making it.
    There was a mention of mindful eating.
    It was also suggested that one should try an all liquid diet for a day out of the weak. This last one is new to me and might be worth looking into (what with teas and bone broths being mentioned.)
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

Comment

• -I have eaten a fair amount of fat and nothing happens.
      -I'm drinking water...nothing happens.
      -I'm eating vegetables...nothing happens.
      -I'm chewing my food slowly and giving myself at least 20 minutes to eat. Nothing happens.

So..despite having slightly better skin and a waist that's 2in smaller, I haven't felt any other differences and tomorrow is the last day of Week 3 on Paleo. I'm almost afraid to eat for fear that it's just going to sit and rot in my gut. Because of this I'm probably not going to feel any new energy. I don't know if I'm low on certain nutrients or if that even makes a difference (like vitamin D or magnesium or whatever.)

My diet isn't exemplary, but I'd say it's a hell of a lot better from when I started. Yet...I don't feel better. I think that's why I dread cooking. I don't have the energy to rise to the challenge of it. I was hoping this week something would click, but it hasn't. I won't deny that I've learned several things and I'm happy about that, but I feel gross and just plain run down.

I've been experiencing pain in the left side of my abdomen, which indicates to me that the food is just sitting in my large intestine. Despite the roughage and fat I've been consuming, there's been hardly any change elsewhere.

M1: omelet with bacon
      S: banana
      S: handful of walnuts
      S: hot dog
      S: apple
      M2: chicken leg with kale
      ...I won't deny I may have a few grapes...
      F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

• I think I'm going to take a time out and get personal so if you don't like it don't read please. I'm going to basically describe what's happening with my body. I know I'm not finished with the Paleo/Primal transition but for the sake of record keeping I want to mention these things.

Since starting Paleo/Primal some things haven't changed and continue to plague me.

-bowel habits haven't changed, despite eating more fat and vegetables
        -on the infamous stool chart I'm typically at #1 and #2 (when I go that is)
        -I'm still not able to pinpoint trigger foods
        -even when I was non-paleo there were some cases where food X would not give me problems, but at some other time food X would cause me problems
        -maybe 1 or 2 bathroom visits a week if I'm lucky
        -some bloat (not as much) some gas, bad joint pain (mostly in lower body), typically nausea if I start feeling bad
        -brain fog, lethargy
        -pain/cramps/flares typically occur at night
        -pain on left side of abdomen

That's all I can think of so far. I'm hoping these things will lead me to other options. I'm exhausted just thinking about how and where to start tweaking my diet. Apparently I'm one of those people who the Paleo/Primal diet doesn't help right off the bat and needs adjusting. I suppose I'll make a list of things to consider trying.
        F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

• If you have serious IBS issues, then you may need to try an elimination diet. You may need to try eliminating FODMAPs. Or it's possible the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) is what you need. Unfortunately, the only way to know if these things would be helpful is to get super restrictive, and I think from what I remember of your life, that's not the easiest thing to do.

Cutting out FODMAPs or following the SCD requires a lot more cooking, and all but eliminates a lot of "convenience" foods. When I did my 30-day elimination, we barely ate out. I had to get very specific with the cooks at the restaurants I went to, and after a while I got tired of feeling like I was "putting upon" servers. It was just easier to stay home and cook something up that I knew was "safe".

Further reading:
          Why Paleo didn't fix my IBS | Melissa McEwen's on food anthropology, economics, and culture

Good luck, and keep experimenting. You are your own best advocate.
          Steph
          My Primal Meanderings

Comment

• Well, I am in the UK so I do not know if you get similar foodstuffs. I eat Yeo Valley organic natural yoghurt with all the healthy stuff still in it. It is locally produced so I don't know if it is widely available outside the UK. Look for organic natural yoghurt, not the low fat stuff, and add it to stewed fruit or nuts. Natural full fat Greek yoghurt is good too. I have IBS with diverticulitis as well as two different types of arthritis and asthma so I have to be careful also what I eat. Yoghurt actually feels soothing as you eat it. I cannot eat seafoods so diet is limited. Be careful with salads as I find that is too acidic but green leaf veg and sweet potato is quite soothing. Take care, Debra

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• Are you drinking enough water. It is needed to flush out your colon, it is needed to transport nutrients around body, your brain is majorly water and if you are dehydrated it will resemble a prune or raisin. A lot of your symptons could be eased with you drinking at least 6 to 8 glasses of water extra, but don't over do it, too much is as bad as too little.
              Supplements are a good idea but like your diet it will take many months if not years to see benefit, the benefit comes from inside and will not happen in just a few months. Keep doing what seems right to you and your body, Debra

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comment

• Body movement is also important for the bowel to function. If your feet are hurting too much to walk around, try some floor exercises - nothing too rigorous, just simple movements. Do this frequently. If watching TV, get up every commercial and do something. I get lots of little chores done this way. Even if it's just chop some veges to put away for later, these little bits of movement add up. Same thing with drinking water. If you tend to not drink enough, get a couple of sips each time you go by the kitchen or the bath. When you do go to the Dr, ask to get your thyroid checked also as this may explain some of your energy issues. Vit. D3 may help your energy issues as well - I have friends that swear by it and almost everyone who doesn't supp vit D is low - we just aren't in the sun enough and don't eat many sources. Magnesium can be very calming and help the bowel as well. Magnesium Citrate draws water into the bowel - this may help you also. I have a close friend who claims that Magnesium Glycinate is calming, while I don't feel that effect (but I do take it in this form).

You have come so far in eliminating the stuff that you know is harming you. Keep at it. You will find your answers if you don't give up. Your body wants to heal itself - you may not notice it, but I think you are getting stronger every day.

Comment

• onalark: I've been considering the need for a stricter elimination diet. I sort of thought that's what I was doing, but obviously with the amount of garlic and onion and consuming other FODMAPS it's not an elimination diet. I heavily considered it but when I went Paleo/Primal I felt like I should just forego it and found it easier to include those foods. I cannot tell if they have an affect on me (rarely does anything have an immediate affect on my system.) Heh. Sort of not looking forward to doing something stricter than I already am, but I'm desperate. Thanks for the link. I've seen it around before but I'll go read it. I feel kind of left out because most people with IBS have diarrhea not constipation so I worry the effects won't be as immediate.

socoolnanny: No. Despite living in a super rural agricultural area, there's not a lot of locally produce items. I can't even find pastured eggs (and I'm lucky I can find grass fed beef, despite it being from Dakota). The most natural yogurt I have close access to is Stoneyfield and here in America, fat is like a dirty word. Everything is about having little or no fat. But I will keep my eye out for those options (even though I hate plain yogurt.) I had considered trying to make kefir but the whole idea is still weird to me.

And yes I do drink water. However I don't know how much of it I need. I sometimes think water has very little to do with the colon. It seems whatever water I drink just gets peed out anyway. I carry around a 16oz bottle and I try to drink about two a day. I also feel it's not good to drink a lot when you're not obviously thirsty.

Mud Flinger: It's true I need to move more and I will try to find exercises that can be done on the floor. I think I didn't rest properly when I did my planks and push ups so my arms feel kind of spent atm.

I really hope it isn't my thyroid...my mom recently was diagnosed with Graves' disease and I hope I won't be sentenced to pills forever. God...I hope I'm not too late with eating better. The whole point was to heal myself as much as I could!

But thanks you guys for the advice...it's a lot to consider.
                  F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

• S: banana
                    M1: chicken
                    S: walnuts
                    M2: 2 scrambled eggs with sweet potato fries
                    S: apple
                    F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

• S: banana
                      M1: omelet w/ bacon
                      M2: chicken leg with sweet potato fries

I honestly was just not very hungry...kind of weirds me out though.
                      F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

• M1: 2 sausages (not very clean)
                        S: a bit of banana
                        S: nuts
                        S: hotdog
                        M2: chicken leg with sweet potato fries
                        S: grapes

Felt pretty bad today. Gassy and nauseous. I didn't feel like eating and thought if I did I'd feel bad, but I felt bad not eating. Really worried.
                        F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

• S: apple
                          M1: omelet with bacon
                          S: grapes
                          M2: burger
                          F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

• I'm not eating enough. I don't know if it's lack of hunger or old habits I can't break.

Anyway...I am playing with the idea of gradually getting rid of FODMAPS and then maybe in the next month, doing an entire elimination diet. Maybe even avoiding bananas (people say they cause constipation but I can't decide if it's a myth.) I had a lot of onions last night and ended up not feeling good so...it's probably something I need to look into.
                            F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

• Have you weighed or measured yourself lately? I wonder if your body is changing and you don't realize it because it happens slowly and we live with ourselves - ya know? I also notice that you didn't mention onions in your food log. Listing all the sides, etc. may help you later on when you are trying to find trends and such (which is one of the reasons we log food in the first place).
                              Maybe come up with a scale of 1-10 for your symptoms and rate them each day or even twice a day if you notice that they vary a bit throughout the day. I know my mood has a lot to do with my memory of how I felt. An accurate log of food and feeling as well as activity level and description may help you unravel some of the problems you experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
                                Have you weighed or measured yourself lately? I wonder if your body is changing and you don't realize it because it happens slowly and we live with ourselves - ya know? I also notice that you didn't mention onions in your food log. Listing all the sides, etc. may help you later on when you are trying to find trends and such (which is one of the reasons we log food in the first place).
                                Maybe come up with a scale of 1-10 for your symptoms and rate them each day or even twice a day if you notice that they vary a bit throughout the day. I know my mood has a lot to do with my memory of how I felt. An accurate log of food and feeling as well as activity level and description may help you unravel some of the problems you experience.
                                Well I am still hovering around 149. My waist is still around 32" (maybe 32 1/2"). It's been like this since the first week I started so no; no other changes I can see. Truth be told I'm not working out rigorously. I've lacked the energy and I'm in the process of finding exercises that are done on the floor (but ultimately I want to heal my feet.) I try to stretch and do chores and do push up (I took a break because I fatigued my muscles.)

And you're right. I didn't include sides/toppings because I figured it wasn't important/not having an effect on me. As long as those things were Paleo I didn't think I should get specific. My omelets included onions and mushrooms and I'd put onions on my burgers (white onions.) I do think they can cause me to feel bloaty (though not as much as bloat as grains had on me...I seriously think the grains gave me that puffy belly! I have yet to add them back in to see what happens.) It's possible the amount of onions had an effect.

I'll try to be more specific for my own sake. It's tiring to have to keep up with amounts and log it. But I'll work harder at it. Sometimes I just cook up whatever I can to get something to eat, not measuring things or simply eyeing the amount.
                                F|26yr|5'3"

Comment

Working...
                                X