Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Oxidizers
    Fast oxidizers
    You require foods with higher percentages of protein and fat than carbohydrates. Make sure there is protein in everything you eat including snacks. Your ideal macronutrient ratio is 20 percent carbs, 50 percent protein, 30 percent fat.

Proteins
    All proteins are not created equal. The ones that are best for you are high-purine proteins, which are commonly found in fattier meats. This is not to say that you should cut out chicken or fish, but you need the heavier proteins most because they help slow down your rate of oxidation.

Choose from this list of proteins when deciding on a meal or snack:

High Purine: organ meats (pâté, liver, etc.), herring, mussels, sardines, anchovies

Moderate Purine: beef, bacon, dark meat chicken, duck, lamb, spareribs, dark meat turkey, veal, wild game, salmon, shellfish (lobster, shrimp, crab), oysters, scallops, octopus, squid, dark tuna

Low Purine: cottage cheese, milk, yogurt, eggs, cheese, white meat chicken, turkey, fish

Carbohydrates
    Your metabolism thrives when your carb intake is limited, but there are different kinds of carbs. Some aren’t as bad as others. Avoid simple carbs, which convert to sugar quickly in the bloodstream. The carbs you can incorporate into your diet are the complex kind found mostly in nonstarchy vegetables. You can choose from these ideal carbs when deciding on a meal or snack.

Low-Starch vegetables: asparagus, cauliflower, celery, mushrooms, spinach

Fruits: avocado, olives, apples and pears (in limited quantity and never without protein on the side)

Grains: sprouted grain bread only (Ezekiel bread is a well-known brand that is available at supermarkets and health–food stores)

Legumes, tempeh, tofu

Fats
    To best support your metabolism, you should be getting roughly 30 percent of your daily caloric intake from natural oils and fats. Choose these ideal fats when deciding on meal or snack preparation.

Nuts/Seeds (listed in order of protein content): waltnuts, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, filberts, pecans, chestnuts, pistachios, coconut, macadamias

Fat/Oils: butter, cream, almond oil, peanut oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, flaxseed oil, sunflower oil, waltnut oil

Along with knowing the foods that are ideal for you, it is important to know the foods that are worst for you. You don’t always have to eat off the ideal foods list, but the following foods will sabotage your weight-loss efforts.

1. Don’t ever eat a meal that is predominantly carbohydrates.

2. Don’t drink alcohol. It causes an increase in blood sugar and fat storage, and it will lead to a sugar crash as well as an increased appetite for carbs. If you choose to have a drink, avoid sugary cocktails, beer, and wine. Stick to clear alcohols like vodka or rum with calorie-free mixers like diet or club soda, and you can always just do what I do and drink it all straight.

3. Don’t eat carbohydrates that are high on the glycemic load index. The next chapter will tell you everything you need to know about the GLI. For now all you need to know is to stay away from high-GLI foods. It is important for all metabolic types to watch their high-GLI intake, but it is especially crucial for you. If you should happen to eat high-GLI foods, make sure to combine them with a protein in order to slow down the production and release of blood sugar.

4. Don’t drink too much caffeine. It is true that caffeine can be used as a fat burner and a performance enhancer when exercising. This is only effective, however, when the caffeine is taken in pill form in conjunction with aspirin. In the forms of coffee, tea, and soda, caffeine gives you short-term energy but does so by getting your adrenal glands to dump adrenaline into your blood like it’s going out of style. As a result, when the caffeine leaves your system, your adrenal glands will be depleted for a while, which leaves you feeling weak and tired from substandard blood-adrenaline levels. Caffeine also speeds the rate of oxidation, which is the exact opposite of what you want your nutrients to do. Avoid caffeinated beverages whenever possible and keep your overall caffeine consumption to a minimum.

5. Don’t overcook your meat. Avoid overcooked animal products, since heat destroys essential amino acids and valuable enzymes.

You will have less physical ailments and feel energized if you eat the foods that contain the ideal macronutrient ratios for your metabolic type. However, these foods are all very high in calories. You must remember to keep within your caloric allowance in order to lose weight.
    -- Ruth

Comment

• Slow Oxidizers
      In order to best serve your metabolism and feel energized both physically and mentally, you require foods with a higher percentage of carbohydrates. Your ideal macronutrient ratio is 60 percent carbs, 25 percent protein, and 15 pertcent fat.

Proteins
      The best proteins for slow oxidizers are low-purine proteins, which are found in leaner meats. It’s not that you can never have steak again, but high-purine, high-fat proteins slow down the rate at which you convert nutrients into energy, which is what you’re already doing too slowly, so the less the better. In general, you want to stick to this list.

Low Purine: white meat chicken, turkey breast, lean pork, catfish, cod, flounder, perch, sole, trout, white meat tuna, swordfish, low-fat cheese, low-fat cottage cheese, skim milk, low-fat yogurt, egg whites

Carbohydrates
      Although your metabolic type is better than the others at processing carbs, you still have to pick and choose carefully. You want to avoid simple carbs, which convert into sugar very quickly in the bloodstream, and choose complex carbs instead. Follow this list of ideal carbohydrates when deciding on a meal or snack.

Vegetables—Low Starch: asparagus, cauliflower, celery, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, collard greens, cucumbers, garlic, kale, leafy greens, onions, peppers, scallions, sprouts, tomatoes, watercress

Vegetables—Moderate: Starch beets, eggplant, jicama, okra, yellow squash, zucchini

Fruits: apples, berries, cherries, citrus fruits, peaches, pears, apricots, plums, tropical fruits, olives

Grains: barley, brown rice, buckwheat, corn, couscous, kasha, millet, oat, quinoa, rye, spelt

Legumes tempeh, tofu (eat sparingly as they are high in purines) beans, peas (should be eaten fresh, never dried)

Fats
      You should be on a low-fat diet to keep your metabolism working smoothly. This does not mean no fat—fat is still an essential part of any healthy diet. You should allow 15 percent of your caloric intake to come from fat. You can go over that percentage if you like, but eating foods that are too high in fat content can make you feel lethargic, anxious, and irritable. Choose from this list of fats when cooking a meal or having a snack.

Nuts/Seeds: raw and unsalted only—be very sparing

Fats/Oils: vegetable or nut oils such as almond, coconut, flaxseed, olive, peanut, sunflower, walnut

It’s not enough to know the foods that are ideal for you—you also have to learn which foods are worst for you. If you find yourself straying from the list of suggestions, remind yourself of these guidelines.

1. Don’t eat foods that are fatty or that contain high-purine proteins, such as organ meats and fish such as herring and sardines. Limit your intake of fats and oils, as they will slow down your ability to convert food into energy even further. Avoid red meat or dark white meats, and stay away from high-fat dairy, nut butters, and avocados.

2. Don’t drink alcohol. This is less of a concern for you than for fast oxidizers, but at the end of the day alcohol still increases your blood sugar and inhibits fat metabolism.

3. Don’t drink too much caffeine. This too is less of a concern for you than it is for fast oxidizers, but caffeine gives you energy by acting on your adrenal glands, causing them to over-produce and flood your system with adrenaline. When the caffeine’s effect has worn off, your adrenals are exhausted and you are left with lower-than-normal levels of adrenaline in your system, which makes you feel tired and sluggish.

4. Don’t exceed one serving per meal of simple or starchy carbs like potato, pasta, or rice, and always eat them with a lean protein to help stabilize your blood sugar.
      Remember to consume your ideal foods in accordance with your caloric allowance; otherwise, you will not lose weight.
      -- Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
        Amen. I did almost text you

On the grapes - how long do those take? Have you done strawberries? I'm thinking that I might thaw some of the frozen ones I have and then slice them and dehydrate for DH. Of course, he has braces (only a few more months though - hooray) and sometimes anything chewy is really hard for him.
        I have done strawberries quite successfully. Using whole, I take the very ripest ones I can and cut them in half. They flatten out quite a bit. I found that using frozen ones didn't work as well for me. Because of cellular disruption from the freezing I had strawberry juice running everywhere! If I had to use frozen ones again I would make fruit leather instead.
        Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Balanced Oxidizers
          If you are a balanced oxidizer, your diet is the easiest to follow, since you require an equal percentage of carbs, fats, and proteins. You feel at your best on a diet that incorporates a wide range of foods. Your ideal macronutrient ratio is 40 percent carbs, 30 percent protein, and 30 percent fat.

Proteins
          You operate best when you are getting 30 percent of your total calories from protein. Be careful to mix the kinds of protein you eat so that you consume high-fat and high-purine proteins with low-fat and low-purine proteins. Choose from this list of proteins when deciding on a meal or snack.

High Purine: organ meats (pâté, liver, etc.), herring, mussels, sardines, anchovies

Moderate Purine: beef, bacon, dark meat chicken, duck, lamb, spareribs, dark meat turkey, veal, wild game, salmon, shellfish (lobster, shrimp, crab), oysters, scallops, octopus, squid, dark tuna, eggs, regular-fat cheeses

Low Purine: white meat chicken, turkey breast, lean pork, catfish, cod, flounder, perch, sole, trout, white tuna, swordfish, low-fat cheese, low-fat cottage cheese, skim milk, low-fat yogurt, egg whites

Carbohydrates
          With regard to carbs, the real significant difference between balanced, fast, and slow oxidizers is not the types of carbs allowed but the quantity. You should get 40 percent of your nutrients from carbs, but like everyone you should avoid simple carbs and foods that are rated high on the glycemic load index, which we get into in the next chapter. Refined sugars like those found in cookies, sweets, and soda and processed grains like white bread or white rice should be shunned whenever possible, especially on a weight-loss regimen. You do best with a mix of fruits and vegetables from both the fast and slow oxidizers’ carb lists.

Vegetables—Low Starch: asparagus, cauliflower, celery, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, collard greens, cucumbers, garlic, kale, leafy greens, onions, peppers, scallions, sprouts, tomatoes, watercress

Vegetables—Moderate: Starch beets, eggplant, jicama, okra, yellow squash, zucchini

Fruits: apples, berries, cherries, citrus fruits, peaches, pears, apricots, plums, tropical fruits

Grains: barley, brown rice, buckwheat, corn, couscous, kasha, millet, oat, quinoa, rice, rye, spelt

Legumes/Lentils (all fresh, nothing dried), tempeh, tofu, beans, peas

Fats
          In order to best support your metabolism, you need to be getting roughly 30 percent of your calories from natural oils and fats. Don’t eat excessive amounts of fat, but don’t specifically restrict your fat intake. You can choose from fats on both the fast and slow oxidizers’ lists of permissible fats.

Nuts/Seeds: (listed in order of protein content) walnuts, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, filberts, pecans, chestnuts, pistachios, coconut, macadamias

Fats/Oils: butter, cream, almond oil, peanut oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, flaxseed oil, sunflower oil, walnut oil

Eat the foods that are ideal for you. Also remember these guidelines of what not to do.

1. Don’t eat meals made up of just one macronutrient. Make sure you adhere to your ideal ratio of 40 percent carbs, 30 percent protein, and 30 percent fat.

2. Don’t drink alcohol. It depletes glycogen storage in the liver, which causes an increase in blood sugar and fat storage. In addition, you will most likely experience a sugar crash, which leads to a heightened appetite for carbs and the nutrients you need to metabolize them. If you do have a drink, choose wisely and avoid sugary cocktails, beer, and wine. Opt instead for clear alcohols such as vodka or rum with calorie-free mixers, like club soda diet, light fruit juices or diet Snapple. And there’s always straight or on the rocks as well.

3. Don’t eat foods that are high on the glycemic load index. (Again, see the next chapter for a full understanding of glycemic load.) If you should happen to eat high-GLI foods, make sure you accompany them with protein in order to show down the rate of oxidation and stabilize blood sugar and energy levels.

4. Don’t drink too much caffeine. Caffeine is only effective as a fat burner or performance enhancer when taken in pill form and combined with aspirin. In the forms of coffee, tea, or soda, caffeine gives you short-term energy but does that by signaling to your adrenal glands to dump all of their store out into your blood. When the caffeine wears off, your adrenal glands are so depleted they have to take a break, which means that you feel tired and weak.

5. Don’t overcook your meat. Avoid overcooked animal products, since heat destroys essential amino acids and valuable enzymes.

Now that you have your list of foods that are ideal for your metabolic type, you will have more energy and feel better if you eat to support your metabolism. However, many of the foods on your list are high in calories. Your diet should incorporate these types of foods in accordance with your caloric allowance.
          -- Ruth

Comment

• Thanks, HB. Between your experience and Chris's, I will save the strawberries for DH's smoothies.
            -- Ruth

Comment

• So Ruth, what is your conclusion?
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Not that I necessarily believe in these quiz things, but it has me as a fast oxidizer, which supports my theory that I do better with heavy (and fattier) meat. Don't know if it's true, but makes me feel like I'm on the right track. I don't know where that leaves me in terms of NK. I know I do better on a mostly animal diet. I'm not sure about the protein/fat ratio, however. NK is very hard...and I don't like how easy it appears to bounce out of it. During the 3 months I've been attempting it, I've basically gotten nowhere. Had I lost (and kept off) 5 (or more) pounds, I might think more highly of it. Of course, it really could be user error. But if this user is struggling so much, makes me wonder about the long term prospects....

Anyway, will keep on at least through Saturday of the JUDDD calorie cycling trial. I will try to focus on animal foods, with more of an emphasis on heavier proteins. Today is a low day and I feel okay. A lot of mental hunger. Some real hunger, but it's so nice to remember what real hunger feels like. Plus, it makes me push the liquids, which I know I need without many carbs.
                -- Ruth

Comment

• what if you shift your focus to eating the foods that make you feel best, and away from NK. Obviously keep tracking so you can repeat (or not!) as needed. But food is supposed to nourish and not be a stressor-physically or mentally.

Also, being sick had to throw a wrench in the works. I really feel like you need to really get yourself well and healed and sleeping. I think getting that working will make the last of the weight melt off.
                  Chris
                  "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                  Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Yes. Very wise, as always, Chris. I've been naturally going that direction the last few days, but didn't want to admit it, because I think NK holds so much promise. However, I may have to first heal myself and then lose weight. I know it's perverse, but I'd rather lose weight first & then heal...but it may not happen that way for me. To tell you the truth, I just want straight up primal to work for me. But, I think if mostly animal would work, that's much easier than trying to stay in strict NK. But, we'll see what shakes out of things One thing is for sure, given my other health improvements, I seriously needed more fat and a bit less protein in my diet!!!!

My focus is on feeling good and finding something sustainable. I feel like I'm just finally healing from the cold. Also, the mental stress of thinking about new jobs, paying off the house, etc. has also taken its toll. Finally, sleep. I wish I could nail that one down.

On the sleep, here's what's funny. I've read so much on the internet about what to do. I have put blankets behind my curtains and my room is basically pitch dark. I have a fan for soft white noise. I chill before bed. No caffeine. And do you know who it's helped? The dogs and DH (which, isn't a bad thing, but I was doing it for me). Minimal impact for me. Sigh.
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• I sliced my (fresh)strawberries in my egg slicer, horizontally so I had ovals, not hearts. They dried up beautifully, and have a very intense flavor.

Comment

• So dried strawberries will be a must this summer Can hardly wait!
                        -- Ruth

Comment

• What I did for my sleep...

-Create a repeatable routine, I get ready for bed in exactly the same order every night, from changing my clothes to brushing my teeth, I have a set pattern. It can be repeated if necessary in the middle of the night if I can't get back to sleep.

-the house is as cool as the rest of the family can stand it.

-I have black out blinds behind the curtains in my bedroom, you can buy the material and just staple it up if you don't want to sew, you can get white or cream and it will look good from the outside as well.

-I use a box fan at the foot of my bed=serious white noise it blocks out other noises in the house and I can now even sleep through DH coming to bed

-I listen to a sleep meditation, I use flat headphones that fit into a headband

-I go to bed and wake up at the same time every day (I have started to loosen this now that I am sleeping better, and allow my self to sleep in on the weekends, but I still try to go to sleep at the same time).

-I like to end the day with a cup of tea and some knitting (or something that is mindless and totally stress free)

-remove any possibility of being able to tell what time it is

Of all the things I did, I think the most useful is the meditation track. It is actually Paul McKenna's Overnight Success, which was free. But I also use one from Jon Gabriel which was also free. Basically it is Binaural Beats in the background with a relaxing voice in the foreground. I start it back up if I can't fall back asleep in the middle of the night.

I think if you don't get the healing done, even if you manage to lose the weight, it will be a constant struggle to keep it off.

I don't see an advantage to NK if you have to struggle so hard to get into it and you don't lose weight when you are in it. Heal first, as time goes on I bet that since you are on mostly animal sources you will end up in NK anyway.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• Hey, I meant to tell you that I made mayo in the Vitamix for the first time yesterday. I used their recipe but with light olive oil, and it was perfect. I may try a nut oil next time.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• I need some meditation tracks. I sleep like the dead for the first 4-5 hours, but sleep terribly for the remainder. If I could even sleep better for 6 hours, I think I'd feel better.

Hmmmm....will have to try that. I need to make mayo with bacon grease or something. Have you tried that?
                              -- Ruth

Comment

• no, I cheat and use bacon bits, but I do have the fat from the bones/broth.

The headband I use are a brand called Tooks, they are actually very good.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X