No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (RMS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My news is sure to be a disappointment!!!!

I got a job interview. In a fit of pique a few weeks ago, I decided I was going to apply for Director, Senior Living Activities. This job is completely different than anything I've done, including what I do now. I figured I had no chance at an interview - I have no direct experience. I can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doesn't mean I'll get it, obviously, although I have only ever not gotten 2 jobs I've interviewed for (one I really did have a terrible interview and one I wasn't willing to move).

Of course, this leads me to more angst. What if I hated the job? What if I wasn't GOOD at it (I'm very good at my job)? What if I'm bored? Also, I make a lot of money now. This would be less than 1/3 of what I'm making. Would I be okay with that? And, do I want to work outside the home again (I LOVE working at home).
    -- Ruth

Comment

• what kind of hours would you have? Could any of it be done at home. What does the job entail? Could it lead to something else. The title makes it sound much more in line with what you were thinking about a few month ago.

This is very exciting.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I'll know more next week when I go in, as to whether there is flexibility, etc.

Basically, I would coordinate and manage all aspects of activities for residents in a senior living facility (more than bingo). I love seniors - probably comes from living with my grandparents. Other people are good with kids - I am not. But, seniors and I have always gotten along. Don't know what to say In a lot of ways, it sounds fun. And, I know that I'd make a real difference in someone's life. It would surely be a lot of work, with little budget (and a small salary).
        -- Ruth

Comment

• there is something to be said for making a difference in someone's life for sure.

p.s. I was never good with kids till I had my own. I was great with them, and I am good with good kids now, have zero tolerance for undisciplined ones (appropriate for their age of course.)
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Of course, I'm putting the cart before the horse. Need to cool my jets until Wednesday, when I see how things go. I may not even have a decision to make
            -- Ruth

Comment

• Aren't you pretty close to paying off your home. Maybe you won't need to make as much in the future.
              Primal since 9/24/2010
              "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
              MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• well, maybe, but it is good to know as many details as possible so you don't get starry eyed if they offer you something on the spot, or that you can talk yourself out of it if it doesn't go well.
                Chris
                Unknown

Comment

• Okay, I'm over here, but I can think of nothing risque to say. I think Pebbles IS a bad influence! Cool about the interview.

Comment

• Yeah, financially we can swing it. It would be good if I'd wait until June for me to quit (then we'd probably have the house paid off) and even better if I'd hang in there until December (build our savings even more). If I quit in April, we can probably pay the house off in the December time frame (which is still pretty darned good).

Money, once you meet your basics, is not obviously everything. But, it's not as easy as I thought it might be to think of leaving my high-paying job where I'm "important". I know this is crazy (sorta), but DH and I both grew up pretty poor (not homeless, although I think there were times we were close). And, so, money is both identify (I made it! I'm successful! I'm not stupid! I'm a valuable person! Look at how much $ I make!) and security. I'm wrestling internally with myself.
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• I just don't inspire risque thoughts from anyone (except DH - don't know how/why, but hey, it's at least the right person). Sigh.
                      -- Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
                        I'm wrestling internally with myself.

I'm sure that Canio can make something of THIS!

Comment

• I grew up poor as well, so I get that. Although I will admit that I have never really denied myself anything I really wanted, I am not a huge spender (DH might disagree with that). Before I was married i had to be crafty to be able to afford what I wanted. Now I just prefer it. I learned to do it for myself.
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• We're pretty frugal, too. It comes naturally to us. When we first got "real" jobs, we went off track for awhile (which we still lament). Our biggest expense tends to be groceries - we don't eat out a lot (except for work & I avoid that when I can). We just happen to have a lot of security now
                            -- Ruth

Comment

• Ruth, if you don't mind telling, what does your husband do for a living?
                              Primal since 9/24/2010
                              "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                              MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• DH is an IT guy. Currently, he HATES his job. Instead of IT, he's writing reports (a lot of code, which he's good with, but doesn't really enjoy). He's bored to tears...but, he works at home, makes decent money (not what he's worth, but that's another story), and has good benefits. He, like me, contemplates a career change, although since DH HATES change with a passion, he has not yet done anything. I sometimes think we're both just having a mid-life crisis.
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X