No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (RMS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you can do this! We definitely need to help you with the travel ketosis. How did the new batch of cream cheese do?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• DH really liked it

One of the trips will be hard - eating out (with boss), no microwave, etc. One will be easier - traveling by car, fridge, probably only one meal out.
      -- Ruth

Comment

• did you like it? I wonder if you can use different milks? Because that (adding ACV) is essentially how I make "sour cream" or "buttermilk" or some soft cheeses. I think with say Almond Milk you would use maybe 2T of ACV per cup of milk (I use 1T per cup to get the sour cream, with no straining) and leave it covered on the counter top for 24 hours. Also, I wonder if you could just use the starter that they use for making cream cheese. I think it is a mesophilic starter.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• It wasn't bad. Can you make cheese from butter? If I use almond milk, I don't think it has enough fat... [Off to google]
          -- Ruth

Comment

• Yeah. That was a silly question. I need to think of more things I can do with butter, lard, tallow, etc. I've made some coconut flour/lard spice cookies - pretty good and the carbs are not terrible.
            -- Ruth

Comment

• mmm, doesn't almond milk have more fat than whole milk? I wonder if you concentrate it first (ie boil it down to half its original volume, 1C down to 1/2C) that would get rid of excess water.

the sad thing about the butter is now that I am eating it I can't eat the things that make it easy to eat (a slice of bread for example).
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                the sad thing about the butter is now that I am eating it I can't eat the things that make it easy to eat (a slice of bread for example).
                Yep. That's why I keep thinking - this is harder than it appears on the surface

I wonder if my problem is that I"m using the almond milk beverage (one of non-primal things we have). Will investigate further. I've seen some commercial almond milk cheeses -- and then read the ingredients - caesin. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of almond milk cheese???
                -- Ruth

Comment

• yes, the almond milk I use is the one you are talking about. Yes not exactly primal... I got more flexible with primal when I felt so little results. I let a few of my favs creep back in. Anyway, isn't 30 of its 40 calories fat? Why not put 1/2C of the almond milk in a pyrex glass, add a T of ACV, and let it sit on your counter for 24 hours and see what happens? It looks like you may end up having to add a thickening agent (gelatin), but I would start with what would be the easiest method first.

It seems to me that you could use fat, and gelatin, and some dried coconut, and some sweetening agent and end up with a decent fat source that was not too high in protein or carbs, that would be portable
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Good call. I also found a couple of easy recipes for mac nut cheese. That's a decent source of fat as well!
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• Given that I drink so much of the almond milk, I may have to start making it myself. Lots of stuff in that one. there must also be a way to make coconut milk?

I just saw a blog post where she used sunflower seeds crushed to a flour as a replacement for almond flour, cheaper and probably less protein.
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• I've thought of that, too. But......I'm lazy I don't drink much, but DH and mom do (DH is lactose intollerant). We don't drink soda, so relatively, I don't mind if they drink it.

Coconut milk: Coconut Milk from Coconut Flakes
                        -- Ruth

Comment

• Ooh, sunflower seed flower. That's interesting...............
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• Recipe Index

I like her blog and recipes too.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• I agree we need to help keep you in NK while you travel, not that I know much about it as I am still trying to get there.

I am thrilled that the cream cheese worked out so well. If you figure out anything interesting with sunflower seeds let me know. LOL Since I am allergic to nuts, sunflower seeds are my go-to.

I love your goal to walk 100 miles this month!
                              Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Karin - I pinned a great microwave sunflower seed bread (sorta like an english muffin). Looks good. I'm thinking to try it.
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X