No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (RMS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I actually agree with that. When I'm all nutriented-up (like that scientific word?), I rarely find myself eating for comfort. However, now that I'm lacking in nutrition after weeks of stress and semi-poor eating, I'm searching for everything else. I need to force myself to eat plenty of nutritious foods. Even if I still eat junk, my body will be getting back on track.
    -- Ruth

Comment

• Reflections on this year....
      * I started the year around 160 (with the stomach flu!).
      * I'm ending the year a bit over 160 (around 163).
      * I got down to 155.
      * Started traveling, and haven't been able to get back down since.

What has worked for weight loss...
      * Always calorie restriction of some sort. I had great success with weight watchers. I have also done well with straight calorie counting. The hardest version is to slow down my eating and stop right before I'm full (feels like deprivation, sigh).
      * What I eat matters, more in terms of how good I feel and my ability to fight cravings. Eating well = few, if any, cravings.
      * I need to plan for the occasional, delightful, but limited, treat.
      * I do best with simple foods. Meat, veggies, a bit of fat. I'm challenged because DH likes sauces and lots of variety.

Where I want to be in 2013...
      * I want to be confident. DH thinks I'm incredibly sexy. I'd like to believe it and live my life that way.
      * I don't want to count calories. That means I need to slow down my eating and stop before I'm full. Sounds easy. For me, it's anything but. That's my focus.
      * I might tweak my macros, but at the end of the day, I need to focus on a sustainable lifestyle. Eat slowly and stop before I"m full.
      * Plan and prepare. I do best when I'm full of nutrients. When life goes haywire, as it's prone to do, I need to be prepared to weather the storm. It's easier to deal with stress, and food doesn't become my comfort.
      * I need to get the job situation under control. 170 hours in 15 days is not acceptable. Working every weekend (plus all the week days) for 3 straight months is not sustainable or desirable. It's scary. It's uncomfortable. But it's time for a change.
      * I want to incorporate activity. Walking most every day. Some type of strength training. "Sprinting" once or twice a week.
      * I want to stop dreaming of the future and enjoy my present.
      -- Ruth

Comment

• That is very well thought out, nice goals.

From seeing your photos, I would say your hubby has reason to believe you are sexy. You married him so you obviously think he is a smart man, if I were you I would concede to his view on this one! Actually I have been thinking about this lately. Because I tend to equate sexy with trashy in my mind it is not something I generally feel comfortable equating with me. On the other hand, I do have confidence in my attractiveness. Maybe it would be easier for you to know, believe, and act "attractive" as opposed to sexy?

I am not good at calorie restriction, always feel deprived. I know the calories have to be low, but how I get there makes a huge difference.

Obviously your job is not having a positive impact on your health, I hope you can work something out with that soon.

My final bit of advice...get off the scale. In the past few months I actually gained weight (no it is not muscle), but overall my measurements went down slightly. If I had been on the scale everyday I would have been freakin and tweakin, and that is not good for my health-mental or physical. Not getting on the scale has reduced my stress regarding my weight to an enormous degree. I now know that I allowed the set of macros I was working with a chance to make a difference (5 months basically) and it is not enough. So I am going to tweak it and will not get on the scale again for another 4 to 6 months. Measurements are good, how the clothes fit even better.

Good Luck, I am here for you.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I never feel attractive, either But, I'm going to work on it. As you say, DH is rather intelligent and must therefore be right I'm by nature a very critical person. This is good in some respects (it's one of the things that makes me very good at my job), but not so good in the personal sense.

Here's something for my internet friends:
          248612841899739036_ZhiRv2Y7_c.jpg
          -- Ruth

Comment

• OMG, how very sweet. I have dropped from all of the threads I join as I start each "program" (Low Carb, SPEED, SSoS) and yet here, even though I am not totally Primal, I cannot let go of the friends I have on this thread. The support from people who are on the same journey, and shoulder to cry from people who are non-judgemental and won't hold a grudge against the hubs after I have gone on a rant are enormously appreciated.

well come on, you have to at least admit you are adorable! You look so young, and perky, and vivacious in your photos, and as we all know we can't hide from the results of a photograph (unless you are really good at photoshop!)
            Chris
            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
            Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Today I talk to my boss. More nervous than before a hearing. We probably won't even come to a decision - I asked for one by the end of the year. Either way, it's my last business trip of the year. Hooray!!!!! More later or tomorrow.
              -- Ruth

Comment

• Good Luck with the Boss conversation Ruth. Safe Trip too.
                Primal since 9/24/2010
                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• ok, fingers and toes all crossed for good luck!!!!
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• I have much to share, but I am pretty exhausted. The talk went well. I will not be going PT on Jan 1 (but did not really expect to), BUT, she made a commitment that we will work on a mutually agreeable transition plan and get me there. Neither she nor the CEO wants to lose me. That's helps. I knew a transition would be necessary, so it was a good outcome - really what I was looking for. I made it clear that I would NOT have another year like this one.

I've been reading with interest you ladies talk about fat. I had a 4.5 hour drive home and a lot of time to think. I think I mentioned in Chris's journal that the MOAR fat idea is how I started Primal. Worked great...for about 10 lb. Then, stall city. Looking back, I think I may have just needed to slightly moderate the calories. Instead of a small tweak, I searched for everything else. I'm certainly giving this some thought...

I'm wondering if low fat has caused my persistent acne. I've NEVER had acne (one or two pimples, but otherwise not). Not, I cannot get rid of these massive breakouts. It coincides EXACTLY with the timing of starting SPEED (lower calorie, lower fat, higher protein). I wish I had been tracking my food with my acne...I'm trying to remember if when it seems like things were starting to clear up how my food intake was.

I'm going to have trouble lowering my protein. I like protein. I'm a creative person...I can come up with this Anyway, I may give this a shot between now and the end of the year. I'd so love it if my skin would clear up again. Also, if my sleep would improve... I'm detoxing majorly now. I've been eating too much fruit and popcorn (like, everyday!).

More tomorrow.

I need to say, I'm grateful for my MDA friends. There's a lot I share with you that I don't feel like I can share with others. Like Chris said, I can moan about DH (who is truly an awesome husband) and you won't judge him. I can try crazy weight loss ideas. I can moan about work. I can let other things out that I need to let out, but don't really want others to know (it would hurt their feelings and serve no useful purpose in our relationship).
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• I'm so glad you stood your ground on the work front. ITA about the value of our MDA friends as confidantes and sounding boards. I would be a much crankier, confused person without you guys.
                      Primal since 9/24/2010
                      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I so agree! Not sure how I would have made it through this past year and a half without you guys! Besides all of the support and helpful listening there is the crazy amount of experience and knowledge that gets passed between us. I truly feel blessed that we managed to come together!

Ruth, I feel relieved for you. I know that an instant solution would have been amazing, but knowing there is an end in sight is pretty amazing too.

Yes, I have not tried this combination or anything even close to it really. I am sure that I never let my fat % get over 40, it would have freaked me out, but it is sort of the final frontier really. I like the protein and the veggies myself, and the SSoS really felt right in my head. But I did not feel the increased energy or reduced appetite that was so common on that board. And 5 months of no change tells me it is not my answer. I do have to say though that it has been amazing to me how much different my energy level has been the past 2 days, and I have been far from perfect in executing the plan! Also, I have been surprised at how little I am interested in food and eating. Boy I hope this keeps up!

I am certain that there is no one answer for everyone. Unfortunately for some of us it has taken longer to find ours.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• At least my spammer knows I'm an introvert. Personalized spam. I feel special!
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• That is the same thing I thought when I saw it. It just makes me wonder what the heck they get out of it, the spamming I mean.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Okay, joining the party, although I want to be pretty scientific about it - lots of tracking to see how different things change with what I eat.

Goals:
                              1. Gain a sense of satiety. I've been having trouble stopping, even when I know I'm well and good full, because I don't feel satisfied. I can tell you that after 1 day of doing this, I already feel more satisfied. Anyway, this is important for the "stop eating at 80% full" metric that I plan to use on a going-forward basis (as opposed to measuring and counting).
                              2. Lose inches (of course).
                              3. Sleep better.
                              4. Get rid of the acne that came in full force this last year.
                              5. Get rid of the red nose that came back this last year.

I will measure at various points:
                              1. Satisfaction/ability to stop eating/resistance to temptation.
                              2. TOM cramps.
                              3. Energy.
                              4. Sleep.
                              5. Acne.
                              6. Red nose.
                              7. Mood.
                              8. Scale weight.
                              9. Inches lost.

I want to try and be as healthy as possible. I think with decreasing the carbs, I need to make sure I'm eating well for the rest. I could happily eat bacon, pork rinds, and a little steak. I think I need bone broth, I'd love to get some organ meats in me, and maybe a bit of seafood.

Goal weight - somewhere in the 130 range. That would yield:
                              59 g protein (holy cow have I been waaaaaaaaaaay exceeding this)
                              118 g fat
                              29 g carb
                              1400 calories
                              BUT, I'm going to start higher, at 150 pounds, and see if I can lose weight. If not, I will SLOWLY drop calories. I also have to inch down the carb curve line. I like veggies So, goal right now is around 1664 calories, but stopping when I'm full (i.e., trying not to weigh and measure to tell me when to stop, but tracking to see where I am).

Starting weight: 163.2. I dropped almost 2 pounds of carb bloat already. Waist: 37.5. Hips: 41.5. Energy: 5/5. Sleep: Wake up at 2, fall back asleep around 4:30 (although it's getting close to TOM, when I have difficulty sleeping)> Now, let's see if I can get some movement...
                              -- Ruth

Comment

• yeah! that all sounds totally reasonable. I also have noticed, nearly instantly, satisfaction with what I eat. And it is much easier to resist temptation (see my post about last night's homemade toffee). The high veggie/high protein plan did not get me that. This was also a lot easier last night, without feeling deprived.

I agree that the idea is to reach a long term goal of being able to eat to satisfaction, avoid temptation while still being able to, on rare occasions, enjoy a treat, and not spend my life weighing/measuring/counting. I do know that basically whatever plan gets me to my goal weight will be the way I eat for the rest of my life. No delusions there.

Good luck, and welcome to the party!
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X