No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (RMS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 12 straight days of travel (whew!), I'm back home. It was rough. My PN started when I was in the midst of traveling. I was SO very stressed at first. Eating out, long days of travel, a VERY bad (almost to the point of blistering) sunburn (one has to wonder if I have any brains on this one......), and little to no equipment for my workouts, well, I was a basket case. But, here's what's really cool about PN. It's habit based, and they really believe in starting slowly. They are also big on problem solving.

So, I did what I could. I took my multi-vitamin, D3 (this is really helping the sleep), and fish oil every day. As far as the workouts, I decided to put on my "problem-solving" hat. We had a forum where ladies had used a watermelon (in place of a medicine ball), filled water bottled for weights, used a bungie cord in place of bands/cables, an iron in place of light weights, etc. With those ideas floating in my head, I modified my workouts. They also encourage you to move the workouts around to fit your schedule and life - so I did that too. I stopped worrying about eating out and focused on eating as best as I could given the situation.

And, you know what? Even though I've eaten out for 12 straight days, including a lot of indulgences (hello soy-free, dairy-free salted chocolate and sinful macaroons), I didn't gain a pound. This morning's weight was 169. Woo hoo. Maintenance while traveling.

As an aside, I'm finding the fish oil helps control my appetite. Kinda like Chris's oil shots. Interesting...

More details on PN later.
    -- Ruth

Comment

• Hey my friend, saw your log and once I clicked on it I didnt want to click off. Theres a great wee community just on this log alone haha. keep fighting the fight my friend, and well done not gaining a pound whilst travelling, that cant have been easy (or normal).

Richard
      It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

• so excited for you! Fantastic to maintain, and to know you can, while you are traveling. Also that you came up with some creative solutions. congrats.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Yay! Great Job and welcome back.
          Primal since 9/24/2010
          "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
          MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Quote of the days: "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” --Aristotle

I'm feeling optimistic and happy today. Odd, because I'm still maintaining my weight And, work is proving to be a challenge on many levels these days. But, I've done all my workouts and completed my fishoil and multi habit every.single.day. Woo hoo. I also think the D3 is helping with sleep. I added in some Melatonin last night. Jury is still out. I will give that one another week or two.

Traveling again next week. Although I wish I could stay home for a month or so until I get back into fat burning mode, but travel is currently part of my life, so probably just as well I learn to adapt with it

Happy Wednesday!
            -- Ruth

Comment

• Congrats on improving sleep and on keeping your good habit going! I am not sure if it is the melatonin or D3 that is helping my sleep, but last night I again had 2 long stretches (1:20) of sleep. It was not one of my better night's as I was worried about getting up on time to wake DS up for the first day of school. DH goes out of town early tomorrow, so I will have a few days of the bed to myself, and that should help!

I had that quote on my fridge for years! Then I did a little calligraphy/art thingy for each of my kids, and hung it on their bulletin boards in their rooms.

Good Luck with your travels.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Today's PN lesson is to be "pretty good" consistently. I think that's a big thing for me. When I'm "on", I'm "on", but when I'm "off", well, I'm really "off".

On a sleep note, I did better last night. Still feel a bit tired, but am ever hopeful that things are turning around. [I hear ya, Chris, when DH is away, I do tend to sleep really well...]

I don't have the time/effort at the immediate moment, but later I need to come back and address FEAR. I realize that in a lot of areas of my life, including weight loss, I'm letting fear control me. I'm ignoring it, not trying to address it.

Quote of the day:
                Priority Image.jpg
                -- Ruth

Comment

• love the sentiment of the quote!

Fear is a huge factor, in my success vs. failure, I just need to learn from it instead of letting it paralyze me.

I am also trying hard to see my successes throughout the day so that I can focus on the fact that I am pretty darn good with my food choices most of the time. For me it has a lot to do with perception. When I think I am off, I tend to slide further down the spiral. When I think I have been good well it is easier to climb the ladder. That is a big reason why I like to track what I eat. When it is all written down in front of me, it is never as bad as I thought anymore! That wasn't true in the past, I think.
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• I like that. Im going to try that and see if I am suddenyl aware of a choice I am making. Then decide if it was the right one or not.

Richard
                    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Comment

• Ruth it looks like you are on the brink of some ah ha moments! Maintaining while traveling.. whoo hoo for success. I thought the post about the different items to lift weights was interesting. Do you remember Jack Lalayne? He was always an advocate of water jugs and canned veggies I think.

You seem to be in a great frame of mind. Sleep helps with that Keep plugging along friend
                      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Identifying the Fear

Good morning MDA friends! Richard - welcome. So glad you are joining us!!!!

Fear. I mentioned a few days ago that I live my life in fear. Weight loss, relationships, work, pretty much everything is guided in fear. I decided that to live my life fully, I'm going to need to start addressing that fear. Hear are some of my fears (I'll probably be going on about this ad nauseum for awhile).

Weight loss. I want to lose weight more than almost anything in the world. I signed up, and am paying, pretty decent money to try PN, coupling it with my Paleo/Primal nutrition habits. But, I'm struggling not to jump ahead. I'm struggling to trust the PN system. The whole point of the PN system is to SLOWLY adopt lifelong habits. Yeah, slowly. We started the first two weeks with two little things: a manageable (and introductory) workout and taking a daily multi-vitamin and fish oil supplement. That's it. In my mind, I kept thinking: I should count calories and make this count! Yikes -- I know that for me, calorie counting is NOT (alas) a long term solution (which is not to say that I'm not going to need to decrease what I eat...but I need to learn a different way than calorie/point/carb/other counting). What if it doesn't work? OMG, the world might end. I might not get any closer to my weight loss. What if it's like everything else I've tried? What if it's like Paleo/Primal...I have some success (okay, 20-30 pounds is GREAT success)...but, nowhere near where I want to/need to be? What's wrong with me that I know the answers but can't get things to work?

I'm scared that life won't be perfect when I lose weight. Go figure - the rational part of me knows this is true. What I mean, though, is that the fat has given me a layer of security. If I do bad at things like bowling (I didn't even score a 50 last weekend on my first round), I can blame it on the fact that I'm overweight. Of course, I'm pretty sure that I'll be a terrible bowler even when I'm thin...but then what will my excuse be? {See where I'm going with this?}

PN has a competition for monetary prizes for the top transformations (not necessarily pounds lost). Now, I don't think one should try to lose weight solely, or even primarily, for money. But, I've mentally taken myself out of the picture. Why? I don't want to have to call myself a "failure" if I'm not in the running. If I take myself out of the competition, I never have to face the disappointment of failing. But, that also gives me an excuse not to try as hard. {Of course, when I decide I'm going to put myself in the competition, then I want to try and "add" things to the PN system to "guarantee" that I have results...}

To start addressing my fears, I checked out the following book from the library: Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers. I cannot recommend this book enough. Seriously. I'm going to buy it. It is gold. In two short days, I can already feel my life changing. I'll be posting a lot about it and my journey in the coming days.

One thing she recommends: taking one small risk each day. This builds confidence. [When she says "risk", she doesn't meaning speeding in your car, maxing your credit cards, etc. She means something you are scared of.] Yesterday, when we went to the gym, I worked out in the middle of the muscle building guys (you know that part of the gym - the hardcore guys (few girls) all congregate). I'm intimidated by them. Me and my (scrawny husband, with our notebook and iPad to the watch the videos. Did it anyway. This morning, I'm going biking with my DH. I haven't been on a bike in 10 years. Each day, I will try something small.

Quote of the day (Fear Truths):
                        1. The fear will never go away as long as I continue to grow.
                        2. The only way to get rid of the fear of doing something is to go out and do it.
                        3. The only way to feel better about myself is to go out...and do it.
                        4. Not only am I going to experience fear whenever I'm on unfamiliar territory, but so is everyone else.
                        -- Susan Jeffers
                        -- Ruth

Comment

• WOW, epic post! I can soooo relate. Will be checking that book out of the library!

I think PN has a fantastic point by making you change tiny things slowly, a big part of my problem is that I want to change it all. But as I look back over all the diets and plans that I have encountered, most of them have left me with one new positive habit. Trying to change too much at once in the end doesn't allow me to keep all of the change.

love the idea to take a risk every day. I may have to buy the book so DS can read it. He is mazimally risk averse! Congrats on your push through your fears.

You can do this!
                          Chris
                          Unknown

Comment

• I did it!!!!

Biking for the first time in 10 years. I had to chant the entire way driving to the path and while I was riding: "I'm a rock star, I'm a rock star, I'm a rock star" and every so often "You've got this, you've got this". DH has the patience of a saint. Even when we were going so slow that runners were passing us, he remained unphased and stayed with me. On the way back, I was able to pick up some speed (because I was a bit more confident) and even pass some of the walkers/joggers. Yay me
                            -- Ruth

Comment

• Fantastic! You are so lucky your hubs is patient! When we were in Denmark we went to Skagen, which is a fantastic artsy beach community. We went walking on the beach and I was going very slow because I wanted to find some amber, he totally lost it and left me behind! In an era before cell phones! We ended up catching back up with each other at the hotel just before dinner.

Congrats on overcoming!
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• DH is an avid biker. He usually goes 50-75 miles on a Saturday ride. He's been waiting 10 years (hence why I still have a bike) for me to go again. Aside from the fact that he is naturally very patient and kind, he wants so badly for me to enjoy it so that we can do it together, he's extra willing to be patient
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X