No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (RMS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't realize how much happens in our lives until we can't share it for a few days! I don't care much for Valentine's, as it is a totally made up day. I would prefer he do something romantic spontaneously. He doesn't. I sent him a video of Alison Krauss singing "When you say nothing at all" he appreciated it, but will appreciate it more if I clorox the heck out of the bathroom before he gets home on Thursday!

congrats on the weight, how very exciting!!!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• yeah for the loss and being so close to your goal. I agree that catching up when we have been out of touch for a while is challenging. I am just glad to have ya'll back.
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• I think we should all exchange email addresses just in case.

Ruth so happy about the loss.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• I sent mine.. thats a good idea Paula
          Karin

Comment

• great idea, I am on it.
            Chris
            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
            Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• A really nice day. But, I ate too much (too many carbs, too much in general, too much salt, not enough veggies). I'm not sweating it today. I didn't go crazy on chocolate or anything, so I'm happy.

Here we are today (pardon the bad hair day and the fact that I can't decorate), me in my new red dress ( can't figure out why it is sideways, when I saved it upright). After dinner, DH took me to the thrift store. How sweet is that (he hates the thrift store)?
              DSCF2021.jpg

I'm not one for swimsuits, but if I were to get one, I'd get this one: The Vintage Inspired Marilyn Swimsuit in Pink by Pinup Couture | Pinup Girl Clothing (of course, the paying of paying $100 is insane, but I like it anyway). I can only dream of curves like these ladies By the way - where do you think they measure the waist? Is it at the belly button or the high waist?
              -- Ruth

Comment

• Cute! You guys look great.

Waist measurement - There is probably a measurement chart and information on the site which would tell you. I always think natural waist. Belly button is usually for measuring body fat?
                Last edited by Pebbles67; 02-15-2012, 05:57 AM.
                Primal since 9/24/2010
                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• You guys are adorable! Love the red dress and the bow tie!

waist measurement, is I think, at the smallest part, my belly button is the width of the tape measure away from the smallest part (at least right now).

I have a site saved that custom fits jeans for you. You pick your style and send in your very precise measurements and they make them! Pricey, but to me a perfect reward for reaching goal!
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• 157.2. That's up, but not unexpected

Ooh, jeans that actually fit. Once I'm at goal - and feel like I can stay there - I'm getting good (perhaps custom!) jeans.

Job situation...
                    In my current job, I basically have the same responsibilities as the other managers, but I'm a pay grade below and make between 10-20k less than the others. I like what I do, I'm very good at what I do, but it's a lot of work. More than 40 hours a week. I had decided that I was going to not finish my PhD (I'm ABD), because to do so means sacrificing time with my family, which I'm no longer willing to do. I have a (really) good boss, I work from home 2-3 days a weeks, and get to dress up and interact with others the other 2-3 days. Life is not terrible, I'm just irritated that I get paid less than the others (and, by nature of our jobs, our groups works way longer hours than other comparable groups, who are also paid the same).

Enter my local lobbyist, who is now retiring. I have decided that I want her job. I waited for weeks for it to finally post...and on Friday it did. Here's now the problem. It's a pay grade below me, and I'd probably have to take a pay cut. I most likely would not be eligible for raises (because I'd be too high in the pay grade), although I could get bonuses (assuming it's a year they are paid out). [It's also located elsewhere in the state, and I'd have to convince the powers that be that I should remain here...but that's a different issue.] BUT, it's a much easier job in comparison. I would have time to finish my PhD. It would be a fun job.

I called my boss and told her I was thinking about applying for the other. Cool boss that she is, she said she'd support me either way, giving me a great recommendation if I choose to apply. She is going to work on trying to upgrade my job [she's only been here less than a year], but that will probably take at least a year [if not more, knowing my company] for that to happen. More money, or more time, that is the question. [Of course, there's no guarantee I'll even get the job - I just know that I'll be a top contender.]

I struggled all weekend whether to even apply (it's a lot of work just to apply, and no need to waste my time if I wasn't seriously interested). I finally decided to apply and see where the chips fall. Now I have to work on the cover letter selling myself and my location
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• I agree love the red dress and you guys are so adorable!! Sounds like you had a fun evening.

As for the job: If you want it, I say go for it. Life is too short to be in a job you do not like. I totally get wanting/wishing you made more money (that is a teacher's lot as well). In short, be happy and go for the job you want.
                      Karin

Comment

• mmm, more time or more money...that is a tough one.

If you finish the PhD, what do you do with it? Nice to say you have it but will the investment pay off in anything but prestige?

If you had more time, what would you do with it? I find if I have more time, well, I waste more time, I don't necessarily get more done.

If you had more money, what would you do with it? same as with the time, except that with money the hubster is an auditing prof, so he invests it somewhere so we can retire comfortably.

Although I think part of the money thing is not just about the amount it is the inequity.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• Can I just say, I LOVE being able to "chat" with you all? Seriously.

Chris, you always get right to the heart of the matter. It's scary (in a really good way)

I've had the same conversations with myself about the PhD. In all honesty, I'm not going to use it for anything. I've taught college classes, and while I'm surprising a pretty good prof (my econ classes were always the first to fill up), I don't love teaching and can't imagine doing that everyday (a little on the side - good - everyday - not so good). It's not going to get me a big promotion. I started it because I was bored at my job then.

Now, time, on the other hand? I'm sure I'll waste some time. I feel like, to a certain extent, I'm wasting my life. I've cut back a lot (I used to average 70 hours a week). But, I want to do things like spend more time volunteering. I went to see my shut-in ladies today. A small box of chocolates (I know...) and a little time...they are so happy. More housekeeping during the week so that we can "play" on the weekend - hiking, camping, walking, etc. I do want kids...though we haven't been sucessful at that endeavor yet. I really want to be home with them, at least part time.

More money. If I could get my job upgraded (it really is an equity issue), then I'd use the money to pay off our house faster (which, if kids come in a year or two, would be really handy). We plan on paying it off in 2 years (though, realistically, it's going to be 3 years). I know a lot of people say it isn't the smartest thing to pay off your house, but: (i) we make too much money and don't get the full deduction anyway; and (ii) debt gives both DH and I the willies - we feel more secure without much debt. We're also really big savers. We're somewhat frugal. We only eat out 1x (maybe, if I'm traveling a lot, 2x) per month. I buy most of my clothes second hand or deeply discounted. My car is over 10 years old and has 110k on it. So, money is good, but we are not hurting and we would still be saving at a good rate.

I applied for the job. We shall see if I get an offer. I'll then go through all this drama again if that happens
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• Good Luck!

It really is a dilemma, but after my near death experience, time has become the most important. Second to that, but related, is happiness with one's life. And based on those values, making changes to increase time with people and activities that make you happy.
                            Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• Well, as to paying off the house, it was one of our first priorities, and Dh is pretty knowledgeable about these things, and/or knows who to consult, so it has to be a pretty good idea.

I tend to lean with Paula on this, at least for myself. You can always cut back on things and really not even miss them, but time cannot be substituted for.

Also, when we had our kids, I was able to stay at home with them and that was such a wonderful gift. We of course did without a lot, and I did absolutely everything-no hired help for anything, no eating out, consignment clothes and furniture, did not get the latest techy stuff, but obviously totally worth it.

Things will work out, it is the stress of the wait that will kill you.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• Amen as to the stress of the wait

157.4 today (+2, +1.2 from newest low). This bouncing is pretty typical. Hopefully tomorrow will slide down to a new low. I had two days where I didn't get enough sleep. Incidentally, they were days without enough veggies or my kelp noodles.

I wish I could sew. I have some wonderful outfits that could be remade if I had any skills. I have some nice suits that I'll take to get altered soon. I think I spent too much time on pinterest this weekend when I couldn't talk to y'all
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X