No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (RMS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karin - Drizzle, it felt like too much oil, but it turned out well.

Ruth - No, but avocado is a great idea.

People swear by the stick blenders for making mayo. I have to agree.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Here is a question, it kind of piggy backs with Ruth.

My mother is so against raw egg.. she says that because I have immun-ish issues (meaning I catch everything under the sun on most occasions) I should not consume raw egg. We buy Omega 3 eggs. Eggs never last long in this house so are pretty fresh. Comments???

Paula: When you try with other oils report.. I saw avocado oil in the store and was intrigued.
      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• If they were farm fresh eggs, I think you'd be okay. I'd probably be hesitant with store bought eggs, even more so with your immune issues (I'm of the "better safe than sorry" camp). Not sure how long they may have been in storage, etc.

I thought avocado oil would be nice, especially for stuff like tuna salad, where I think avocado pairs nicely.
        -- Ruth

Comment

• Ok.. thats is kinda what I thought. I do not suppose there is a substitute acceptable for eggs in making mayo..
          Karin

Comment

• Oh, I thought you meant real avocado...

I had never heard of eggs and immunity problems.
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Comment

• Paula, I do not understand it but I have heard this. I dunno.
              Karin

Comment

• I was more thinking one had to be careful with potential "bugs" that are usually killed in a cooking process. I think with farm fresh eggs (where you trusted the farmer), there are probably less issues.

Here's a egg-free mayo recipe (it's pretty good - I use regular almonds): Gluten Free Marcona Almond Vegan Mayonnaise Recipe | Elana's Pantry. It's actually pretty good!
                -- Ruth

Comment

• Okay, now I get it. It is the salmonella issue. You should do some research however. They say that refrigeration will keep salmonella from growing if an egg in your possession is infected. Salmonella poisoning is more prevalent from restaurants where eggs may be left out of refrigeration during the cooking process. I would get the freshest organic eggs you can find. My one egg made over a cup of Mayo. It will take me 2 weeks to use that much.

Have you had your vitamin D tested? Mine was low, so I now take 10,000iu of D3 daily. I have not had a cold since September.
                  Last edited by Pebbles67; 01-22-2012, 04:17 PM.
                  Primal since 9/24/2010

Comment

• My husband's was super low. I started taking Vit D3 (though I should have had it tested) and I feel WAY better when I do. I'm so fair that I don't get in the sun much.
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• that looks good but unfortunately, I am allergic to nuts
                      Karin

Comment

• I use walnut oil for mayo. There's something about using high speed blending that makes the olive oil taste funky. I tried making mayo Friday and had my first failure I used my new Ninja blender and it doesn't allow for streaming easily and now I have salad dressing. Oh well, I'll use my stick blnder next time.

Infected eggs come from sick chickens and it is pretty rare anymore because the farms (store bought) feed their chickens feed w/ antibiotics. This is standard feed (I have chickens) and you have to ask for starter that is antibiotic free or feed them Turkey feed (apparently antibiotics can kill baby turkeys).

Comment

• Ah, Karin, always so difficult. Walnut oil sounds good.

Interesting article on body image and weight loss. I have a tough time with my body image, though I'm working on it!!!! Precision Nutrition Coaching | Precision Nutrition Coaching | Improve Your Body Image

Mud Flinger, how do you like your Ninja?
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• I know.. I know.. THAT allergy is MOST inconvenient. Especially that pre-baby I ate nuts all the time and was fine.
                            Karin

Comment

• The Ninja is pretty cool (x-mas present from the kids). It has a power head that sits on top of the blender/chopper lid and then 4 different containers w/ blades. I make my own almond flour with it, so that saves some money, I guess. I've got to figure out the mayo thing now, so I guess I'll just use the stick next time and not worry about it. I also like that the blades lift right out which allows me to scrape it out without blender blades in the way.

Comment

• My food processor finally died. Blender died last year. Want a Vitamix, but I'm too cheap. Husband keeps pointing to the Ninja...
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X