No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (RMS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday, Saturday. Hooray. Woke up early, but not as bad as it has been. I'm sure I'm going to need a nap today.

Making homemade pop tarts for my guy. I know, I know, but it's better than the stuff out of those boxes! And, he asked me for them (this is big - he rarely, if ever, asks for anything but what he needs).

My oldest guy is having a friend over for a sleepover. I can't tell you how excited he was. [It never occurred to me that boys liked to spend the night over at a friend's house.]
    -- Ruth

Comment

• So, I think that I've mentioned that we have a lot of friends over at our house, not entirely, but a lot due to the foster care rules. Anyway, my guys almost always gripe a bit about us (not in a mean way, but in a teenager way). Uniformly, though, almost all of their friends will say "at least your parents care". These are teenage boys saying this stuff. It's interesting, but supports the theory that kids really do want to be parented, even though they gripe and complain about it.
      -- Ruth

Comment

• from time immemorial! I used to gripe about my parents all the time, and all of my friends wanted to ride on my parents busses for grad night (my parents chaperoned), and our house was where all the siblings friends congregated. Both my kids griped about us, and their friends would come over and visit even if my kids weren't home, and most of their friends have asked me to friend them on Facebook (I don't generally make friend requests, just reply to ones that have requested me). My daughter is pretty much out of the gripe stage (except during her TTOM, and then she blames our spats on my hormones:roll eyes, my son is not quite out of it, but I am sure it will pass soon enough.

Society is full of rules, at least in your case you have your kids best interest at heart, which is way more than I can say about congress!

p.s. no apologies needed if you are baking from scratch!

p.p.s. sleepovers with boys usually meant a gaggle of them, rarely just one, and usually all-nighters. The boys usually did their sleepovers at Boo's BFF's house, cause they had converted a detached garage to a play room so the parents could sleep. Better for all concerned! The other mom's just sent over snacks.
        Last edited by demuralist; 05-03-2014, 09:24 AM.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I would say progress is being made with the kiddo who requested poptarts.

The boys' friends realize you care and guess what? The boys do too. Enjoy the day.. Throw lots of food at them and it will be fun for all. Lol
          Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• The friend liked us so much that he conned his parents into inviting our entire family over for his birthday dinner tonight. There are 5 of us!!!! He was funny. He had to follow our house rules, including no phone at the dinner table and all electronics downstairs and plugged in by 11 pm. He thought my homemade poptarts were awesome.

My guy loved the homemade ones but also wants some boxed ones to take to school. You know what? He generally eats pretty good. In a perfect world, I wouldn't send him with those nasty things. In our world, if they give him a small measure of comfort at a time that's very stressful, well, poptarts it is.
            -- Ruth

Comment

• I do remember that taking something homemade instead of store bought often brought about teasing at school. With my kids, I figured that I could have some measure of control over what they ate at home, lunch they could take whatever they wanted.

p.s. very exciting about the birthday dinner!
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• There is something to be said for the familiar... Have fun tonight!!
                Karin

Comment

• so how was dinner?
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Two of my guys and I were too tired to go (one of which was my guy that had the really hard week). But, DH and the other guy had a great time.

I FINALLY got a full night sleep. I fell asleep at 8, got up at 9 to tell my guys good night, didn't get up until 5 this morning. Feeling better today. In fact, feeling happy. The thing with my guy is going to take a LONG time to heal, so, I'm trying to enjoy the little moments. I did buy the wrong poptarts though...I forgot the frosting (I know this from his FB post).

DH goes away for a week today. I think it's going to be a long, hard week.

I want to take 6 weeks of FMLA this summer (I have 5 weeks of vacation, so it would mostly be paid). DH is not so hip on it. He said that if I take FMLA, I won't want to go back (um, yeah, probably so). We shall see. I still have 3 more weeks to work on him

Down the 4 lb I gained the prior week. Basically just eating dinner with 2 really small snacks for breakfast and lunch. I hope this holds...this was the eating pattern I really wanted (eat dinner every day with my family).
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• that is essentially what I do most days, when I am on track. It is the easiest way for me to keep my calories down.

Your DH sounds like my BFF, she keeps everyone in her family working constantly! She manages a pool and tennis club, and in the summer if anyone (including me) is thought to be relaxing, she puts them to work! Different reason than your DH, but the work ethic seems similar.

congrats, by the way, on the loss, as well as surviving the week.

And there are way too many pop tart choices now a days! Why, back in my day.....
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• You guys are all doing so well. It s not about being perfect or fixing all their problems. Just going on the journey with them is enough. Having a soft place to land at the end of the day and people who have your back. The rest is out of our control. Don't feel bad about some cheap sweets - they have love written all over them in a language your kiddo reads.

Comment

• Down 4? Wow.. You go girl!!!
                          Karin

Comment

• So, things that are making me happy right now.

* Last night, my little guy (who is 5'8" to my 5'5") told me he was sad (this is BIG for him). He let hold him, rub his back, smooth his hair, etc. I told him I loved him (I tell them all the time, and they while I love them, they don't have to love me). He said he loved me too. No doubt, there's going to be a day when he hates me, but I'll treasure this for now.
                            * My oldest guy opened up a little last night. He told me a little bit about living with his mom and some of his hurt around that.
                            * My middle guy (the guy who had the hard week last week) smiled and laughed. He asked me for things he wanted, not needed. He never does this.

Up a lb today. But, you know what? It's surely water or whatever. I'm lucky if I'm eating 800 calories a day (I'm not restricting - I've had little to no appetite since last week's events). This too shall pass, and with persistence, and I shall go back down. I'm trying NOT to set any expectations, although you know I'd love to be down a lot by the time our adoption date happens.
                            -- Ruth

Comment

• Great news and progress!!! When is the adoption date?
                              Karin

Comment

• No set date, but should be in the next 3-4 months.
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X