No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (RMS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what she said! It is pretty much a constant wonder and worry mix this parenting thing. You can't fix everything but you can make the bumps easier to ride out. Hang in there.

p.s. you do know the chocolate chips will only make things worse right?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Amen. Hang in there Mama.
      Primal since 9/24/2010
      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Thanks, ladies, for your support. So far, I've stayed out of the chocolate chips. I've had 2 bananas and rice, but hey, better than the chips I have.

I was feeling bad that we missed some signs where we might have caught things earlier. But, the outcome, my guy being able to share with DH, was perhaps a good thing. We're working through things, which is all we can expect.

I'm so tired. Wish I did not have to teach class tomorrow night. It's going to be a long week.

Tell me how all you working parents do this??? It takes me part time, DH working from home, and mom to try and make it all work.
        -- Ruth

Comment

• well, be kind to yourself, you went from none to 3 teenagers instantly. You have only had them for a week, right? How much earlier could you have caught signs?
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I totally get how you feel. Our adopted daughter has hurt herself several times and you wonder how/ why? You can only do so much and be there to help. Ultimately the boys will have to learn how to deal with life and all the good and bad. You did not cause this mess and are doing your best to help. That is all any of us can do. Remember to take care of yourself too!

Comment

• Thanks. We learned a lot and guy learned a lot (unfortunately the hard way, but sometimes that has to happen). I think it has brought him and DH closer.

I am SO blasted tired today. Thank goodness for the weekend soon.

Some days, I'm not fixing enough for dinner. I've got to work on that. It's hard to know how much to buy, how much to make. Sometimes I get off! DH asked my guys what they'd like at the grocery store. Here is their list (what I can remember):
              Nutella, Cereal, Milk, Bread (NOT wheat), Yogurt, Rocky Road Ice Cream. This is what happens when you let 4 guys make the grocery list

Mom's nursing school pinning is tonight. Out of the original 12, she is the only one who made it all the way through without repeating a class. She is the oldest by at least 10 years. She doubted herself all the way through, but we kept telling her she could do it. AND, she doesn't know this but I learned it at the school yesterday. She has the highest GPA of the graduating class, which (although not a 4.0), makes her the valedictorian!!!! Is that so cool or what??????????????? I'm so proud

Family coming in this afternoon. Meetings from 7-4. Boys to feed before the pinning. Legs to shave. Need to get to the grocery store. Not sure how it's all going to get done.

Did I mention tired? Not enough sleep last night (teaching class and then I get up at 5 with the boys).
              -- Ruth

Comment

• So much good stuff. It gets you through the bad. Because there is always bad. That's life. All you have to do is handle it, not eliminate it.

Eat your protein!

Comment

• breath, you will make it. A cup of strong tea is nice too. For some reason the caffeine in tea doesn't seem to have an effect on my sleep the way a cup of coffee does.

So happy for your mom.

RE: food, buy more, freeze leftovers. If you make a big salad with lots of stuff, but don't dress it (let everyone dress their own), you can put it away for the next day. If you also serve a soup with the meal that will act as a filler as well. Doesn't have to be anything complicated, make a big vat of something plain on your day off, then change it up during the week by adding different spices or proteins or carbs. For me veggies were always the hardest to have on hand so doing a salad and a soup ensured I had some pretty much ready made.
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
                    breath, you will make it. A cup of strong tea is nice too. For some reason the caffeine in tea doesn't seem to have an effect on my sleep the way a cup of coffee does.

So happy for your mom.

RE: food, buy more, freeze leftovers. If you make a big salad with lots of stuff, but don't dress it (let everyone dress their own), you can put it away for the next day. If you also serve a soup with the meal that will act as a filler as well. Doesn't have to be anything complicated, make a big vat of something plain on your day off, then change it up during the week by adding different spices or proteins or carbs. For me veggies were always the hardest to have on hand so doing a salad and a soup ensured I had some pretty much ready made.
                    This and add stuff to leftovers to make it different on the next day. Crock pot one night can be soup the next and served over rice or noodles a third time. Cook twice as much as needed and get creative. Some meals may be funky but laugh it off and keep going. This is the stuff real families are made of! A big batch of sloppy joes can be nachos or tacos next and made into soup if any is left after the first two meals.

Comment

• Don't laugh, but I actually never have leftovers........... If I make soup or chili, they're eating it in one sitting. And I'm talking like 3-4 lb of meat (like ground beef). I've got to get organized on my off days and get some taco meat, chili, sloppy joes, etc. in the freezer!! Wednesdays are especially hard - DH has to make dinner and shuttle one guy to church (and we had the social worker last night).

You ladies are so incredibly helpful to me. It really helps, especially now when life feels so chaotic! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      -- Ruth

Comment

• Seems to me that for teenage boys, carbs are gonna be your friend. Big baked potatoes as a base for the chili, noodles or barley in the soup (you can make the noodles/barely separately and pour the soup over the noodles for the noodle eaters and just eat the soup for the non-noodle eaters-same with any added carb really), rice with sloppy joes, carbs are cheaper (both in terms of money for you and easy calories for them). Keep bowls of in season fruit around.

Weird, but for some reason, Wednesdays are always hard. Not sure how that works out, but it always was for us as well.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• Yes. I'm making these guys more carbs (and, they are all thin and very athletic, so no real problems there) - rice, potatoes, and beans. I'll have to consider noodles I also need more soups, where I can get them some good nutrients through bone broth. I'm also going to have to be more creative with the veggies for my young guy I'm trying to focus on real food instead of strict primal (way too much change in their lives to attempt to completely revamp their diet -- so long as I can get plenty of quality protein and some veggies down them, I'm feeling pretty happy).
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• my view, real food (i.e.. looking as close as is reasonable to how it came out of the ground) is pretty much primal. I think the cavemen would eat what was available, may not be what we have available today, but the concept is the same. There are soooo many views of what is primal or paleo and they are constantly being revised. (yes, yes, everyone is free to their own opinions and this is mine, it has evolved just like humans have)

Anyway, from a purely "three teenage boys will eat you out of house and home" stand point, you pretty much have to add in some carbs for filler.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Yep. There is some nutella and white bread, but overall, they don't do too badly. And, as active as they are, they can handle a lot of carbs
                              -- Ruth

Comment

• I just remembered that my mom took a huge tupperware and filled it with a huge variety of unsalted and mostly raw nuts (walnuts, pecans, pistachios, filbert, almonds, etc) and seeds (including chia, pumpkin, pine, sunflower, and flax) and put a 1/4C scoop in it so the grandkids could have a reasonable snack when they get hungry. Using the unsalted and raw kept them from being a addictive food for her and still give the kids the nutrients of a decent snack. She makes flavored iced teas so she can use less sweetening and they drink that instead of soda.
                                Chris
                                Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X