No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (RMS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You tube also has great math stuff I have been told. There are also some great apps that will teach kids at their own level and break away to teaching videos when a problem is discovered instead of waiting until the kid does the whole page wrong. Check with his math teacher for recommendations.

Glad things got better. Time and hugs with caring people can solve many of life's crappy moments

Comment

• De-lurking to give you a suggestion on a good math website. Check out Khans Academy. You can also see what they are about if you see the TED talks on their model. They are free and have videos and hands on activities. The topics range from simple addition to calculus and more advanced topics. They've set it up almost like a game and you just keep advancing.

If you are wondering why I sound so excited about it is because I'm a math nerd. I have my 10 year old daughter enrolled. This year during her 5th grade year her math teacher decided to enroll the whole class! So it's becoming more mainstream.

Oh yeah, I also have math apps on the iPad for her. I'm not sure what's out there for middle school math, though. Hope that helps!

Back to lurking... Carry on

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Comment

• Thanks, ladies, for the math help.

Last night was middle school English. The funny thing is that I'm pretty dag gum good at writing...but I don't know the names of what I'm doing. Last night was independent and dependent sentences. Yeah. Good thing for Google. I know how to write, just don't know why I'm doing it I think we muddled through.

Last night was first night of my new quarter. Whew. I'm tired today. Track meet today. Ugh. These things are like 5 hours. But, wouldn't miss it. Middle guy was checking to make sure we'd be there before we left.

Don't want to work today...................

Vitamins...don't let me forget Karin (I try take them with food, but don't usually eat until lunch).
        -- Ruth

Comment

• There's a funny sport-parent saying, which I have seen applied to both swim- and track-meets:

"If I only have one day to live, let it be at a swim meet--'cause they last FOREVER!"

Comment

• showing up is HUGE!!!! Even when mine were in High School and got other rides, I was there. That is a great time to knit BTW, because you can chat and knit and you aren't being anti-social like when reading a book. Being tired is par for the course.

Homework, well I usually had them explain it to me, oddly that tended to be enough to jar them into helping themselves. And yes, google is your friend. Khan Academy can be helpful as well.
            Chris
            "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
            Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
              showing up is HUGE!!!! Even when mine were in High School and got other rides, I was there. That is a great time to knit BTW, because you can chat and knit and you aren't being anti-social like when reading a book. Being tired is par for the course.

Homework, well I usually had them explain it to me, oddly that tended to be enough to jar them into helping themselves. And yes, google is your friend. Khan Academy can be helpful as well.
              Very good advice!

Comment

• Although my middle guy is reserved, I know how much it means to him to be normal. To have someone at the game who cheers for you. Someone who brings your water bottle that you forgot Someone that brings you snacks...snacks that your other team mates want to share. Someone who takes you to DQ after the meet where you see other team mates. So, mom and I went. The weather was nice and I enjoyed some Vit D.

Today is my off day. It should be errands and cleaning. I'm sure I'll do something. One of my errands today? A nap. I'm seriously tired.

It's only been 2 weeks, but can I say, I love parenting? I also love teenagers...I know how to relate to them. The thing is, I never thought I wanted to be a parent. I started babysitting my brother at 8 years old and always felt so responsible at an early age. I never cooed at babies the way my friends did. I didn't plan how many kids I would have or what I thought their names should be (good thing, since I'm not naming them). And later, I wanted to climb the corporate ladder but didn't want to neglect my kids, so my job became my focus. Now, I feel like I could quit my job and focus on them for a few year. I really like being a mom. And while I'm not a natural parent, I try hard and think I'm okay at it (so far...it's early yet, I know). It's weird to have had such a change in mindset.
                -- Ruth

Comment

• Comment

• ^Awesome
                    Primal since 9/24/2010
                    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Loving it!!! Course, I knew you would be fantastic!
                      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• that is what happened to me when I got my kids. I babysat once and hated it! Never wanted kids, wanted to do the career thing. Agreed to try to have kids because I honestly thought I couldn't (only had 3 periods before I started taking the pill to even out my hormones, and there were MANY months I didn't do a good job of taking them regularly and should have ended up pregnant). So after finding out I was pregnant after the first month off of the pill, I was ambivalent to say the least. And through the pregnancy as well. Then the instant I delivered it was totally different. Like that is what I had been training for all of my life. I have loved it all, the good and the bad, wouldn't change it for the world!
                        Chris
                        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                        Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• You are doing great. I enjoy reading about your new family.

I didn't think I wanted kids either, even though as a kid/teen I repeatedly said I knew was going to have twins.

I started babysitting the neighbor's baby when I was 10. I was a live in sitter for the summer when I was 13 and babysat 6-7 nights a week for a bartender from 13 until I went to work for the state at 15.

Being a teacher let me get my kid fix from my students. Because of that I didn't want my own. Then we moved to CA and I couldn't get a a full time teaching position. When that happened the desire for children hit me hard.

I have 3 kids-- a son and twin daughters.

Comment

• DH and mom have mandatory foster care training today (sigh). I take mine in June. So, the boys and I are going out. We're going to a "family fun center". Go karts, mini golf, laser tag, bumper boats, etc. I suspect we'll all be exhausted when it's over with. Good time for me to spend quality time with my active guys.

Other than that, life keeps on going at a hectic pace. More later.
                            -- Ruth

Comment

• I made these Perfect Paleo Pancakes The Paleo Mom for the guys. BIG FAIL. One guy just wouldn't eat them (this is rare --- these guys eat almost anything) and the two others plus mom wouldn't even try them. I thought they were...okay. DH liked them (he gets to eat all of the leftovers).
                              -- Ruth

Comment

• I will send you my pancake recipe. It's made with eggs and coconut flour, no plantains. Pretty tasty.
                                Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X