No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (RMS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indeed we would, Chris I wish we SPEED sisters lived just a bit closer together........

Anyway, we are ON for dinner. Hooray! And, we're on for this weekend. Real food for 3 teenage boys and 3 adults is EXPENSIVE. I don't care what anyone says!
    -- Ruth

Comment

• So very excited for all of you. When you do it regularly you figure out how to do it less expensively.
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Woops. Gotta get all the alcohol out of the house. Libations will be curtailed..........
        -- Ruth

Comment

• mmm, I never think of this, but it worries Honey to no end when the kids come home.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Our foster care license requires no alcohol or it has to be locked up. We don't drink enough to worry about locking it up (and, these kids are probably smart enough to pick a lock!).
            -- Ruth

Comment

• Last night was blast. The boys seemed to have liked dinner and were duly impressed that I had made mostly everything from scratch. They ate the entire bowl of salad and most of the meat. They weren't sure what to think of the brined artichoke hearts in the salad, but gave them a go. I think I can feed these guys 80/20 or 90/10 primal (probably closer to PHD, because I do make rice, potatoes, etc.). I did fruit skewers, which they thought was awesome. Two of the guys had never had a skewer (meat or otherwise) Thanks for the idea, Chris!

After dinner, we (well, DH and the boys) played Dance Dance Revolution and then Guitar Hero. The youngest amused himself by playing with the dogs.

They'll be back tonight. Yikes - I've gotta get to the grocery store....

In terms of my own eating, I've been doing a Fast-5 (basically, a big lunch and a small snack around dinner). I don't know that I've lost weight, but I haven't gained any more. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the boys. I do NOT want them to be neurotic about their food and see me having issues. I need to move my big meal to dinner and my snack for lunch. It won't be so bad when they are at school. If/when things settle down, then I'll get back to focusing on that. But, you know what? This is one of the first times in YEARS where I haven't been obsessed about my weight. I mean, I'm bothered by how much I gained and uncomfortable in my clothes, but it's so nice to be thinking about other things for once in my life...
              -- Ruth

Comment

• yeah, so glad to hear about the boys and that it was a hit. Sounds like you all had a blast. What are the plans for this weekend?
                Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• I don't know. Part of me knows that it needs to be low key and be how life would be if/when they come live with us. Part of me wants to spoil them. They've had a hard life and I want to give them a little bit back. I've saved and been pretty frugal so that we could do things with them. I know that mostly they need love and attention. I'm thinking the dollar movie theater as one thing. I'm pretty sure I'm going to drag them to the dog park with me They will play video games with DH this evening. They may be going to the grocery store with me as well!
                  Last edited by RMS123; 02-21-2014, 07:23 AM.
                  -- Ruth

Comment

• What a fun night. I love hearing the excitment in you post.
                    Primal since 9/24/2010
                    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• Sounds good! I think you are on the right track of trying to make a normal day. Have you thought about how you want the family to function? For instance, Game night Thursday? Kids cook dinner on X day of the month (call it bachelor training )? etc. You are starting from scratch and have the opportunity to start some great traditions and habits. Getting input from the boys on this kind is important as well. Just some thoughts!! I am so excited for you!
                      Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Love where this is all going and so excited for you all.

I think if you make dinners interactive you decrease the awkward silence of sitting around looking at each other and increase the sort of "feel" for each other and also avoid the "what you can or can't eat" issues. Things like a taco bar, or salad bar, or chili bar where you lay out the fixins and they can dress the food as they please. We always had fun with fondues too.

Movie nights, game nights (video for one and board or card or charades for another), are great. Dog park sounds fun, you could take a frisbee for the boys to toss around as well. Love the "bachelor training" idea!
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• Sounds like things are going great! You will have a fun time not matter what you choose. I bet the boys could have fun making breakfast too. Shopping with you for groceries is a great way to find out preferences and can be fun for them even if you keep it healthy.

A comment about spoiling: don't ! It can undermine the whole process. You don't want the boys to view you as a sugar Momma and we met someone while at adoption classes who had a foster kid that had been through terrible parents and then spoiled by more than one possible adoptive family and this kiddo turned into a monster. Not that this would be the case for you, but there will be plenty of times to have big fun like Birthdays, etc. I think your weekend plans are great. Play hard, eat good food and laugh much! Remember they may need to some down time to themselves too to process stuff or just talk amongst themselves about you.

Enjoy!

Comment

• Good call, MF. And, I can do the little things. Last night, they couldn't get over how long it must have taken me to do fruit skewers. So, if I do things like that - that show they are valued, they will hopefully mean a lot.

We just got beds. They are going to be excited...they thought they were sleeping on air mattresses.

This is such a long day of work..................
                            -- Ruth

Comment

• it is the little things that you do that shows them they are valued. My kids, for mother's day one year, made me this statue like thing and around the base they wrote all these things we did together. It was a real eye opener to see what they remembered and thought was important to put in that list.
                              Chris
                              Unknown

Comment

• So, here's the plan as of right now. This weekend. Two visits next week. The following weekend. Maybe one or two visits. Full disclosure on 3/7. We then have to wait 72 hours to give them our decision about whether to take the boys. Then, maybe a last weekend at the foster home or maybe they are fully with us. In either case, looks like we will be full time parents in 3-4 weeks, assuming it all continues to progress well. Exciting and scary at the same time!
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X