Primal Journal (RMS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    We have the same issue with books! Last year I put an end to the Barnes & Noble free for alls. Family fun with a coffee treat and books for all. Now we restrict ourselves to the library as much as possible. I love reading on my ipad. The lighting is always good, the angle is not finicky etc.

I want to put a two story book wall in our living room as we have a full bedroom just for books, plus book cases through out the house. Someday!
    with ladder.. oh the pictures I am imagining..
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• like in Beauty and the Beast!
      Chris
      "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
      Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• yes yes yes
        Karin

Comment

• You guys read my mind!

Comment

• I'll try to take a picture of my high ceilings. It would be perfect for such a thing
            -- Ruth

Comment

• eeee, so fun too! I don't have high ceilings, it would look silly in my house, very few walls, lots of windows.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Dear Dairy, we have had a wonderful love affair, these last few months, since I've healed my stomach enough to be able to enjoy you again. However, I suspect that you are causing significant issues with my sinuses. For this reason, I think we are going to have to separate so that I can see if you truly are the problem. Once we've had some time away, we'll start slow by adding back in raw, grass-fed, organic cheese...and take it for there. I'll certainly miss you while we're apart. Love, me.
                -- Ruth

Comment

• good luck! I would just quit coffee if I could not do dairy. I can live without cheese, but not cream! I am thrilled to hear that your stomach is healed to a reasonable degree.
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• I think lots of homemade bone broth was the key to being able to handle dairy again. I think I might still need some digestive enzymes, though.
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• I have started the enzymes as well. Since I saw in P's journal what they are for, I now take them when I eat a protein meal, since I am doing my version of UDDD. Though since I take the NOW ones with HCL I should probably do it after a meal laden with fat as well (maybe after a couple of my iced coffees?), though for the most part my protein heavy meals are also my fat heavy ones. I take the probiotics every morning because of the IBD, and it is supposed to be for carbs, though my reading on it (as well as the enzymes actually) suggests that it is the steady state of taking it regularly that helps your intestines build them up on its own. with the enzymes though I fear intestinal distress, so take them with food.

I am also considering the potato starch, though not at the doses suggested (4T is recommended, I will likely stop at 1T).
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• Dairy and I have to break up to along with my sugar affair. Lol

I notice if I do not make my coffee do strong, it need nothing. I use a ratio of 10c water too 5 T coffee. I have been having fun with coffee though (Apple pie, jelly donut etc.) Without the additives of cream and sweetener you can taste a true flavor that is fun and wonderful. So, for me, flavored coffees are the way.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
                        Karin

Comment

• I'm still craving sugar like mad. Sigh. This is why I'm thinking a few weeks, W30 style (it probably won't be a solid 30, though, because I do have a short business trip to fit in).
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• When my sugar cravings get bad it is a signal to me that I need to do a high fat low carb for a few days. Although in general for me, it means that I am just looking for quick energy, so I am best off just distracting myself.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Was reading the pal err o mag and found this:

Features TRAVELING on the Paleo diet

By Aglaée Jacob, MS, RD, CDE

Whether you’re going to your cottage for the weekend or traveling overseas, the types of food you eat while away from home can make the difference between having a memorable time or needing a vacation to recover from your vacation. The Paleo diet is a lifestyle, and incorporating it into your life wherever you go can help you get the most out of your time off this summer. All you need is a little bit of planning. What about the 80/20 rule?

Doesn’t the 80/20 rule (eating right 80% of the time and enjoying treats the remaining 20% of the time) apply when you go on vacations? Well, it depends on what your goals are. If you’re healthy, you probably have more flexibility compared to someone with digestive, autoimmune or hormonal problems.

Independent of your current health status, avoiding gluten and other ingredients affecting your health and well-being is always a smart thing to do. What’s the fun in having beer and pizza if it takes you a couple of days to recover? Of course, you may be able to enjoy good-quality cheese, ice cream or French macaroons without any adverse effects. How strict you want (or need) to be is up to you. Travel-friendly foods and snacks

Whether you’re going on a road trip or flying to your destination, planning ahead and bringing Paleo-friendly foods is the best way to help you stay on track while traveling. You can see many examples of snacks that you can take with you and keep at room temperature in the Travel Foods table. If you can bring a cooler, you’ll have the option of packing an even greater variety of snacks and ready-to-eat meals that you’ll be able to eat on the way. Just make sure you pack meals that you don’t mind eating cold if you won’t have access to a kitchen to heat up your food.

If you’re flying to your destination, you can usually request a gluten-free and dairy-free meal to your airline company (if your flight is long enough to include a meal of course). It’s probably the closest you can get to a Paleo meal, but it’s definitely not great. Pack some food with you just in case. Make sure the food you pack is solid and keep liquids (vinaigrette, olive oil, coconut oil, etc) in containers smaller than 3 oz to avoid problems when going through security. Or just use this as an easy opportunity to practice intermittent fasting. Eating out

When eating out, Chinese buffets and bakeries are best to be avoided but you should be able to get a Paleo-friendly meal at just about any other restaurant. Whatever restaurant you’re going to, look for the grill or salad menu and try to get a combination of fish or meat. Ask to have vegetables and/or sweet potatoes as your side dish. Most restaurants are pretty accommodating.

If you have serious food intolerances, make sure you mention it to the staff and ask as many questions as necessary to feel comfortable about the ingredients used in your meal and how it’s prepared. Remember that gluten and MSG (monosodium glutamate) can sneak their way into many sauces, salad dressings and seasoning blends. Steakhouses are probably your easiest option. Finding restaurants offering gluten-free menus or catering to the Paleo crowd can make it even easier for you, especially if you’re very sensitive. And yes, there are apps for that! Accommodation

Some types of accommodations can make it easier for you to prepare and cook your own Paleo meals. You can rent a cabin, room or apartment with a private or shared kitchen. Airbnb.com and hostelbookers.com are great websites to help you find budget-friendly stay options other than a typical room, often including either a shared or private kitchen. A fire, camp stove or barbecue also work fine to prepare Paleo-friendly meals if these options are available.

If you’re in a hotel room, ask if you can have access to a fridge or microwave to do some basic cooking. If you can’t, stock up on food you can easily keep at room temperature, try one of the Paleo picnic meals or find Paleo-friendly items on the menu of local restaurants. Overseas

If you’re traveling abroad, you can bring a little bit of food with you but make sure it complies with the rules of the country you’re visiting to avoid any problems. If you don’t want to take any chances, just bring what you need to survive until you get there and stock up once you arrive at your destination. You can probably find many of the travel-friendly Paleo food options in most grocery or health food stores.

If eating out, be mindful of the fact that gluten is not a concept that everyone is familiar with. Australia offers many gluten-free options, but it is not necessarily the case in Peru or Morocco for example. Do your homework beforehand and make sure you translate important words like gluten, wheat, food allergies, replace and please to help you better communicate when going to the restaurants to ensure that you get exactly what you need and don’t have a bad food reaction that could spoil your trip. Recovering from your vacations

Traveling during your time off is a good way to change your routine and discover new places. Whether or not you manage to eat Paleo during your time away from home, the stress of being away from home and changes in your sleep patterns alone are often enough to warrant some form of recovery once you return. Take care of yourself by eating the most nutrient-dense Paleo foods, supplementing with super foods like bone broth, liver, fermented cod liver oil and fermented foods (i.e. sauerkraut) and making sleep a priority to speed up the process.

Paleo is not just another diet, it’s a lifestyle. Find ways to incorporate it into your life wherever you go to help you be at your best at all times. Ready for your Paleo vacations?

Road Trip (keep cold)

• Hard-boiled eggs

• Smoked salmon

• Prosciutto or other gluten-free deli meat

• Cooked meat, sausages or chicken

• Cooked vegetables

• Cooked frittata muffins

• Baked sweet potato

• Salad (pack the vinaigrette separately)

• Butter and other healthy fats

• Combine with the travel-friendly Paleo foods that keep at room temperature

Travel-Friendly Paleo Foods (can be kept at room temperature)

• Jerky or pemmican (gluten-free)

• Coconut chips

• Fruits (fresh or dried)

• Coconut butter

• Nuts and nut butter

• Canned fish (bring a can opener!)

• Healthy fats (coconut oil, olive oil, ghee)

• Homemade fruit and nut bars

• Coconut milk

• Avocado

• Jarred olives and pickles

• Seasonings (herbs, spices, vinegar)

• Dark chocolate

Paleo Picnic

Instructions

• Go to any grocery store and grab a combination of cooked or ready-to-eat protein (canned fish, deli meat, cooked roast beef), healthy fats and plant matter (vegetables, fruits, nuts)

• Pack a small plate/bowl and a fork

• Combine these ingredients together and enjoy wherever you are! Examples

• Smoked salmon rolled with avocado slices and dark chocolate for dessert

• Prosciutto or gluten-free deli meat rolled with butter, along with cherry tomatoes, pickles and carrot sticks

• Canned tuna mixed with a ready-to-eat salad, olive oil and lemon juice

Karin

Comment

• Not sure if anything new, but they talk about recovery too

Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X