No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (RMS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtains, definitely easy. Youtube is your friend here. Go to Youtube.com and do a search then start watching.

Locally we have 2 fabric stores that sell material that is really just for home decor-curtains, bedspreads, upholstery, etc. These are sold in wider widths than most fabric stores sell and are usually sturdier for the purpose. They also offer classes and are super helpful regarding advice about which fabric to use where. I would be surprised if you didn't have something like that in your area.

Also, saw a thing on pinterest where they just used tablecloths for curtains. That should be a reasonable beginner project, you would just have to figure out what kind of hanging system you wanted to sew onto them.

Make sure when you are picking the fabric for the curtains that it has the level of transparency you are looking for, hold it up to the light. I use backing for my drapes (the side decorative panels on the windows), but lighter weight fabric with no lining for the sheers (the panels that actually cover the windows). I used silk for the first set in my living room. BEAUTIFUL!!! STUPID!!!! they lasted maybe 5 years, the sun just caused them to totally deteriorate.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Would you believe that I don't know where my iron is and I'm not sure I have an ironing board or cover? Sewing might be an expensive endeavor
      -- Ruth

Comment

• A nice sturdy big ironing board is helpful, you can always put some felt on a table though. And yes, hobbies are always expensive, rarely cheaper to make your own, but you get exactly what you want, no compromises except for personal ability of course.
        Chris
        "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
        Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Thanks for all of the sewing advice!!! I'm going to give napkins a try this weekend.

Yesterday was my first totally "clean" eating day. Yay. I'm going to keep going through the weekend and decide where I want to go from there (I have not been watching calories, which for me, at some point, is a must). Absolutely nothing -- including the bigger things I bought - fits, so I'm ready to start dropping weight again. I have learned, however, that weight loss (whatever method I'm wanting to try) goes a lot better when I have a solid base of nutrition.

The environmental group is likely to "officially" make me an offer later today. Then I have to decide which job I'm taking. As much as I moan about having to make a decision, I am truly incredibly blessed to have such an issue. I have two people -- in a sense, fighting over me -- to give me closer to what I want. Both are part time, both generally work from home, and both pay significantly more than a standard part time job and/or a lot of full time jobs (without benefits, of course, but still, you know what I mean). Frankly, a lot of people would be envious to be in my shoes. It will be good to have a decision -- in either case -- and then move forward.

I too join in Karin's heartfelt TGIF.
          -- Ruth

Comment

• Remainants are your friend when learning to sew. They are typically less than a yard of material, but they also are at least half off. Another project you might enjoy is making pillow cases for the boys. Kids love crazy pillow cases and it can be fun to mix and match 2-3 fabrics. I used to embroider "Sweet Dreams" and a name on the end opening. They are also usefull for hauling laundry or sleep overs.

Comment

• My daughter buys things from Goodwill and tears them up to use the material for any number of things. One day she came home with a ginormous dress that had the most beautiful fabric, I am pretty sure she made a pillow case out of it.
              Chris
              Unknown

Comment

• Okay, well, I am NOT a natural at sewing. Oh, well, practice, right? DH has to thread it for me. Even though it has this automatic threader, I cannot figure it out. Good thing for DH I should have taped myself for America's Funniest Home Videos. It took me a long time just to get the bobbin threaded and then the thread where it should be to thread the needle.
                -- Ruth

Comment

• that is the hardest part!

don't get discouraged, we are not born sewers it takes time and patience and lessons don't hurt either!
                  Chris
                  Unknown

Comment

• Our adoption meeting is scheduled for 1/30. Yay!!!!!!

Class tonight, so not much time to write. More tomorrow.
                    -- Ruth

Comment

• omg! so much going on in your life how can you stand it? So excited for you.
                      Chris
                      Unknown

Comment

• Squuueal!!! So excited about your adventure!

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
                        Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• I sent you some pintresty things.
                          Karin

Comment

• Thanks. I'll head over there and look!
                            -- Ruth

Comment

• Congrats. It will be a long two weeks!

Comment

• They were starter items (I think) for sewing. I ALMOST got a deal on a starter sewing machine. I am disappointed I did not, someone beat me to it. lol We could have been learning together.
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X