Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
    I'm an ISTP (Harry Potter). Here are some of my career matches:
    detective, electrician, engineer, athlete, video game designer, mathematician, computer technician, firefighter, career in extreme sports, stunt, astronaut, software developer, small entrepreneur, automotive technician, industrial engineer, biotechnology, mechanic, systems analyst, computer animator, sketch artist, data analyst, sports journalist, rescue team member, pilot
    Some of these are funny, because I am so unatheletic and very ungraceful
    ok, so my idea would be to narrow this list down to those things you could actually physically do (I did grin at a few of them) even if you are not yet qualified. (what was your PhD in?). Then start exploring them in detail. Then you might be able to volunteer in areas that come close to see if you could really be interested. Then think about training if not education. Lets see what you come up with, Ms. Researcher (you know there are people who get paid to do research right?)

My guess is that when you get your adoption you are going to need your money to educate them.

I am so happy that by naming your emotions you didn't have to eat them!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Ugh. Fighting a cold. Mom got really sick (I blame it on her rotation in the pediatric unit at the hospital). Then DH. Now, unfortunately, me. Gonna be a rough day.
      -- Ruth

Comment

• oh no. Be good to yourself.. tea, rest. There are viruses running amuck and I am getting over mine.
        Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Rest. Fluids. Relaxing massage from DH!

Comment

• Blech! Feel Better.
            Primal since 9/24/2010
            "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
            MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

• RATS!!!! Hope it has a very brief lifespan.

my DH has had a "cold" for almost 3 weeks now and I have not gotten it. Though I wash my hands constantly, and we have barely touched each other in an attempt to keep me from getting it, I am beginning to believe it is not contagious and is likely a sinus infection.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• See... this Dr. knows best
                Karin

Comment

• Today, guys, I am so very sad. I believe I've lost a friendship.

Background:
                  I've known this guy for 9 years at work. We're pretty close friends, and he's also friends with my DH. We tend to be a lot alike (introverts) and come from a similar type background. A lot of times at work, we find ourselves aligned. I've shared a lot about me with him, including my background, my ambivalence about work, family issues, weight issues, my insecurities, etc. (rarely marriage stuff though, as it's better not to share that with too many people, especially when they are friends). You all know that recently, especially when we thought the boys were coming, I had been talking a lot about quitting my job to raise some kids.

Fast forward to this week. We learn that the boys aren't coming. Later in the week, the newly-announced president of the company personally asks me to apply for a VP job. I mention that I'm not really interested, but then causally mention I might possibly consider it if it were in Austin (where DH's brother lives). He suggests I apply (but makes absolutely no commitments of any kind to me). Later that night, after talking to DH and mom, we decide I should apply, determining that if it's meant to be, things will happen, and if not, I won't get the job and that's not a problem because I wasn't really pining after it. What DH and I have learned is that often doors open that I don't understand and doors close that I don't understand and to go with the flow, God will take care of us.

Anyway, I did not tell my friend that I had been asked to apply or that I had applied. He's been pretty unhappy and I knew his feelings were going to be hurt and frankly, I hate confrontation and wasn't really up to it. I had planned to discuss it with him this weekend. He had some meeting with the president, and I have no clue what was said, but he was basically told he wasn't going to get the position (which, btw, he also says he doesn't want) and maybe I was (but maybe not, I couldn't tell) mentioned. Anyway, he flat out asked me and I told him I had been approached and I had applied. He was livid. Accused me of lying, not telling him so he wouldn't apply (?), playing on his sympathies to get him to help me with my work (please), and concocting some scheme (don't ask me what) with the president. As if the president did anything but ask me to apply -- he's made no promises, no guarantees, no nothing other than giving me a compliment of my abilities. Period. In my friend's mind, rational people can't go from wanting to quit to thinking about applying, and so I must have something nefarious in mind (although, ironically, he's swung the same as me -- happy, ready to quit, muddling through, etc.). Now, I freely admit I didn't handle things well (see above - I do not like confrontation), but really, to accuse me of these things is hurtful. Anyone who knows me knows that I do have problems communicating, but that I don't have mal intent, and he has known me for 9 years.

All this to say, I'm very hurt and very sad. I'm so grateful for my DH, mom, BFF (since high school), and internet friends who I can vent to and lean on. I'm not sure what will happen with the job thing, and my family may still decide it's not a good fit for us. As an introvert with only a few good friends, I find this hard, and more so because we have to sort through things at work.

PS - It's a high calorie day (UD), and I've only had 1,000 calories. I did not eat my feelings away (although the dilemma is what to eat tomorrow -- low day or high day).

Thank you for "listening" to me.
                  -- Ruth

Comment

• oh dear..I am so sorry about the friendship. I know its especially hard when there is an investment in the friendship. I like the way you put the open and closed door issue. I totally agree. God does open and close because its always Thy will right?

I am confused why he would be so upset if he did not want the job. It seems to me that he is more than a little irrational with his anger.

Good for you on not eating your feelings today. Hang in there tomorrow as well. I wish I had some words of wisdom. As a person who does not like confrontation as well, I got nothing. I bow to the other sistas.

I know you are hurting, I wish I could help.
                    Karin

Comment

• I think the issue is that he doesn't feel valued at work. The truth of the matter is that he is way smarter than I am (not to say I'm not smart, I am, but there are spectrums of smart, and he's truly much smarter than me) and works harder and has been with the company longer. The VP who just left really liked me. She's the one who fought to keep me when I got the other job offer. It doesn't make sense to him that they would potentially offer me the job when I'm not as smart or willing to work as hard. They did not even ask him to apply. I cannot control any of that. I did not ask them to ask me. I did not advocate for this opportunity. I did not seek it out. It found me. To him, that is not fair or rational, and therefore there must be more to the story than I'm sharing (there's not).
                      -- Ruth

Comment

• And, just "being here" for me is all I need from my dear internet friends. Thank you.
                        -- Ruth

Comment

• That's a tough situation I hope it works out for both you and your friend. Hopefully he gets over being butt hurt and realizes you're not the one at fault here.

Comment

• Maybe this type behavior is part of the reason he wasnt asked to apply😉

Actually I am not sure that understanding why he went off on you will make it less painful. I am really sorry. You have so much stress in your life the last thing you needed was to lose someone who was a good sounding board. Keep putting on here and hopefully it will keep you from from putting it in your mouth.

As to the doors, well I believe that sometimes we need a door to slam closed to force us to open another one. And working through this with hour DH can only help you to clarify what you might be looking for.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
                              I think the issue is that he doesn't feel valued at work. The truth of the matter is that he is way smarter than I am (not to say I'm not smart, I am, but there are spectrums of smart, and he's truly much smarter than me) and works harder and has been with the company longer. The VP who just left really liked me. She's the one who fought to keep me when I got the other job offer. It doesn't make sense to him that they would potentially offer me the job when I'm not as smart or willing to work as hard. They did not even ask him to apply. I cannot control any of that. I did not ask them to ask me. I did not advocate for this opportunity. I did not seek it out. It found me. To him, that is not fair or rational, and therefore there must be more to the story than I'm sharing (there's not).
                              I have found that being smarter in one way may very well mean being lacking in another. Your abilities, overall, most likely tip the scales in your favor. While your friend's overall abilities tip his scales out of his favor.

The fact that he, from the get go, assumes you played him tells me that while he might have high IQ he lacks EQ. And that lack of emotional awareness might be the reason he doesn't feel valued or get the opportunities he thinks he deserves.

Comment

• So sorry Ruth. I hope your friend can come to his senses a little. I agree with Chris and marcadav about this guys issues. His extreme defensiveness gives away a lot.
                                Primal since 9/24/2010
                                "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                                MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Working...
                                X