Primal Journal (RMS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by demuralist View Post
    DD hunger....celery, I will salt the heck out of it and eat tons of it. For travel, homemade beef jerky is good in smaller quantities and you can dehydrate pounds of zucchini sprinkled with seasoning blends for very few calories. I know you limit fruit, but watermelon (well canteloupe too) has very few calories and fills you up quickly because of all the water, in season now so should be extra good and easy to find. I love the salad and protein thing cause it is really quick, I put the protein source (fish cooks fastest and is the most volume for the least calories) in the pan and while it is sauteing I make the salad (I use pre-washed mixed spring blends), plop the protein on the salad and voila-maybe 10 minutes max.

I honestly have the easiest time with my DD's if I just don't eat till dinner. Once I actually eat something it is like I can't stop. Much easier not to start at all, except of course for the fat in my drinks.

yesterday I found this to be true as well
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• Stacking. From P's journal.
      1. Eat mostly real food, emphasis on animal products.
      2. Enough rest. That's both sleep & stress mgt.
      3. Calories count. Right now, ADF or some variation looks the most doable.
      -- Ruth

Comment

• DD update. I ROCKED this. Yay for planning. I'll admit, it was hard, but anything I want, I can have tomorrow. The plane ride was rough. Tall, thin, young man sat next to me and ate good-smelling stuff the ENTIRE way. Growling stomach. I knew I had broth planned If I could just make it to my hotel room. I did it. Not even eating everything I have planned. Resisting the treat bag they gave to me on arrival. If I want, it will be there tomorrow.
        -- Ruth

Comment

• Doing a happy dance for you! Success begets success so hold that thought.
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• ohmygoodness!!! awesome!!!!
            Karin

Comment

• Now that I am several months into ADF, I am finding the new maxim of 'hunger is not an emergency' to be true, and much easier to believe. It really does help me to say to myself, 'I can have that tomorrow.' It is funny that in today's society, we are expected (and DO) subsume so many of our natural urges: scratching, holding our urine, sleep needs, etc. But the very thought of not satisfying our hunger within a half hour seems outrageous. People will even tell us it is dangerous. 'You've got to eat!' And think us weak or indulgent if we insist on getting enough sleep.

Do remember, though, that ADF is not a QUICK plan. I would count it as a success, if after a month, you are finding the rotations easy, regardless of weight outcome. I am averaging a little over a pound per week, and I DO have several week periods, where I lose nothing, only to suddenly go down several pounds.

Good luck, Ruth!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
                Now that I am several months into ADF, I am finding the new maxim of 'hunger is not an emergency' to be true, and much easier to believe. It really does help me to say to myself, 'I can have that tomorrow.' It is funny that in today's society, we are expected (and DO) subsume so many of our natural urges: scratching, holding our urine, sleep needs, etc. But the very thought of not satisfying our hunger within a half hour seems outrageous. People will even tell us it is dangerous. 'You've got to eat!' And think us weak or indulgent if we insist on getting enough sleep.

Do remember, though, that ADF is not a QUICK plan. I would count it as a success, if after a month, you are finding the rotations easy, regardless of weight outcome. I am averaging a little over a pound per week, and I DO have several week periods, where I lose nothing, only to suddenly go down several pounds.

Good luck, Ruth!
                You are very wise, love what you say here.
                Chris
                "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
                Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Sabine, I really like the above. It is funny -- I often get comments about how early I go to bed and how much sleep I need (of course, I need so much sleep because I don't sleep particularly well). On the other hand, I keep hearing from people (mostly people who don't need to drop any weight and/or have never researched the subject) how my metabolism is going to come to a halt with something like fasting or ADF or skipping breakfast. Of course, 1,000 calories per day of "healthy, whole grains" doesn't seem to cause most people any concerns.................

For some reason (and it's probably partly the fact that I took a week to restock my nutritional tank before attempting ADF), it's manageable for me to keep telling myself "anything you want today, you can have tomorrow". Sometimes I want it, sometimes I don't. One day is manageable. It's not like, "well, you can have that again after you lose 30 pounds" or "you probably can never have that again" (although some things, like gluten, really are a no go).

In other news, I've been attempting to reintroduce dairy. It is going well. I can live without grains and sweets if I can have some high-quality dairy.
                  -- Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
                    It's not like, "well, you can have that again after you lose 30 pounds"
                    And the time to lose 30 pounds is A LONG TIME!

The only time I have successfully given up a particular food item for a long time, was giving up sushi while I was pregnant. And let's face it, motivation is high at that point in one's life. Another human depending on you, and all that. I have even met hard-core smokers who were able to give it up while pregnant.

That kind of motivation is hard to sustain for lesser reasons, and again, let's face it, we usually consider our own happiness and well-being as a 'lesser' reason. (Though it should not be!)

And 30 pounds(or any weight) is so nebulous. We don't really KNOW how long it will take. Our brain reads that as 'never' or 'forever' and reacts accordingly: saying, 'no way!'

But tomorrow (or sometimes, 7 hours, just 7 hours, come on, you can hold out 7 hours! Get up at 12:01 if you have to and eat that ice cream, but just wait until then...) is very attainable. I can wait until tomorrow.

Comment

• Sabine.. I love what you posted. I have never thought about it like that and it speaks volumes! Thank you!

Ruth- I hear you when we tell ourselves, we can have xyz when we lose the weight.. talk about unrealistic and being almost mean to ourselves. Instead, we can have it tomorrow. Hang in there sistah!
                      Karin

Comment

• I definitely think that the reason I can make this work is just that, I don't have to give anything up forever or even until I get to goal (which is almost 100lbs, so it feels like forever!). Never thought to tell myself that if I was desperate I could get up at 12:01 and have what ever it is, and of course I am never so desperate that I would get out of bed. Sleep is way more precious to me than food!
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• ^^agreed
                          Karin

Comment

• DH and I just watched the Michael Mosley documentary on 5:2. He is...thinking about it. The idea of 2 600 calorie days is daunting. DH has been thin most of his life, so these extra 10 pounds in his later 30s is a struggle for him! We shall see.
                            -- Ruth

Comment

• I am willing to bet with 5:2 he loses those 10 pounds fairly easy. Although, 10 pounds?? really?? He did not look like he needed to lose in March.
                              Karin

Comment

• He'll lose his 10 lb very quickly. They've come on at the same time my recent 10 (which I've mostly lost) came. My travel helps neither of us. Pretty much he'll lose 3-4 to my 1 a week, even if I'm doing ADF and he's doing 5:2.
                                -- Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X