No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (RMS)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I use a 5 day average. Although you get a lag it tends to smooth things out a bit more & gives you a definable trend

Comment

• Originally posted by athomeontherange View Post
      Tell me about the pemmican you get from US Wellness. Do you get it in the pail or in the sticks. What does it taste like?
      Karin - US Wellness has a 7 lb, $75 min. However, I have heard that if you call them, they will work with you to get a sample bar to try. If they would not, I usually order 1x/month (probably mid-April) and would be happy to get you a bar or two to sample.

Originally posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
      Fantastic news about the loss. I am curious to know though (assuming you track your calories daily) if your average daily calorie in take over the period you have been doing JUDDD is greater or less than the average taken for the same length of time pre JUDDD
      My average is definitely lower. I have suspected that I needed this, but was resistant. UD/DD seems a much easier way to achieve this. Now, I just need to get my protein inline (consistent on a daily basis)

I suspect this is why this type of diet works for most people. The fact that you can have the thing you might be craving tomorrow (by which time you probably wont want it anyway) without any of the guilt, stops people tending to over eat.
      It is helping me, for sure. And, yes, by the next day, I don't really want it. I want my beef, etc.

Tedious at first I agree, but any successful weight loss requires some sort of accurate calorie tracking else how do you prolong the weight loss after the first whoosh? If you tend to eat the same things it gets easier over time (Another option is to create a set of set meals so you don’t have to track everything, only the meal totals). Also I tend to portion things up before storing it so it all becomes less of an issue.
      MFP and my app are lifesavers. And, I do tend to eat the same things, unless I'm traveling for work, so it's not all that bad. I've been weighing (a bigger pain) because my eyes are still terrible judges of portion sizes. I'm either way over or way under (neither consistently).

Can’t you drink water?
      I can, but if I'm cold and/or tired (which is usually the case when I travel), then the liquid runs right through me. But, in these meetings (or especially if I'm testifying at a hearing), I don't get a lot of bathroom breaks

Carbs are optional as far as the body goes. If they don’t help, don’t eat them.

Less is probably more re protein & NK. Eating slightly too much will nock you out of NK. If you are cycling in & out this may be contributing to the headaches. Low days & high days exacerbate the problem. You should be aiming to keep the protein & carb levels the same & seeing the fat% go up or down depending on whether it is UD or DD

The other thing to remember with protein & NK is that when NK is firmly established, the optimal protein level will be reduced as the brain switches over to ketones so the protein feeding the brain will no longer be required.

As for losing muscle mass. All the studies I have read so far suggest this isn’t the case on NK as muscle mass is only lost if the body is nutritionally starving & hence forced to cannibalise muscle in order to feed the brain. As the body optimises fat oxidisation from body fat, it can’t starve until body fat % gets into single figures [I](NB: some muscle mass loss is inevitable as fat cells contain mitochondria i.e. muscle mass which will be lost as the empty fat cells die off & are not regenerated)
      Started working on this today.

Originally posted by demuralist View Post
      when I go back and check my weekly chart in MFP, it shows just how bad I have been in tracking, which usually means I gave up because I was out of control or in a restaurant.
      Happens to me, too. Especially when I travel. Sometimes, I don't have the energy to try and figure it out! I'm still not sure that I'm not off. I can't often figure out how much meat they really gave me.
      Last edited by RMS123; 03-25-2013, 06:05 PM.
      -- Ruth

Comment

• Haircut

For those of you who know where I am on Pinterest, can you go to my Hair/Makeup board and tell me which short haircut you like? I have one in mind (which I'll share later), but am interested in your thoughts. Thanks
        -- Ruth

Comment

• Originally posted by RMS123 View Post
          For those of you who know where I am on Pinterest, can you go to my Hair/Makeup board and tell me which short haircut you like? I have one in mind (which I'll share later), but am interested in your thoughts. Thanks
          Do you have straight hair or wavy? How long is it now?
          Chris
          "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
          Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• Straight. Very fine. Very thin. Doesn't hold curl worth a darn. It's grown to right about my shoulders.
            -- Ruth

Comment

• ok then I like the one that is chin length (or slightly longer) and wispy, with the longer bangs. Short bangs are hard to pull off if you are over 20, and unless you have a long face (which is doesn't look like you do) the heavy straight bang will likely make your face look rounder. The wispy look goes well with fine straight hair and will look good with very little maintenance.
              Chris
              "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
              Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

Comment

• I will contact them about the pemmican sample but if they can not send me one, I will send you some money to add a couple to your order.
                Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Comment

• 9-Mar 161.2 UD
                  10-Mar 161.4 DD
                  11-Mar 162.6 UD
                  12-Mar 162.4 DD
                  13-Mar 162.4 UD
                  14-Mar 162.2 DD
                  15-Mar 161.4 UD
                  16-Mar 162.0 DD
                  17-Mar DNW UD
                  18-Mar 161.2 DD
                  19-Mar 160.2 UD
                  20-Mar 161.0 DD
                  21-Mar DNW UD
                  22-Mar DNW DD
                  23-Mar DNW UD
                  24-Mar 159.6 DD
                  25-Mar 158.2 UD
                  26-Mar 159.6 DD

Holding steady, which I am happy with It was a good UD, well within my calorie and protein limits...although I should have skipped dinner. I wasn't really hungry and then I felt too full and bloated afterward. The point of this is to learn to listen to my body, right?

Not sure what is on the food agenda for my DD -- maybe some steak that I have defrosting (although it should probably be my ground beef/heart/liver combo).
                  -- Ruth

Comment

• I have a corned beef thawing in the fridge. I figure, tonight my bone broth should be done (I can have this on a DD, right?) and then pop the corned beef in the crock pot for an UD.

holding steady is good!
                    Karin

Comment

• I LOVE bone broth on a DD. Very helpful...especially in those early days! I would thin it with water and drink several mugs. Plus, it's so good for you
                      -- Ruth

Comment

• with my dinner last night I was a tad hungry, but it was getting late so I went ahead and cooked and ate. I should have listened to my body and stopped, I had a very clear moment when I thought, "ok you are done now" but kept eating anyway. And ended up feeling bloated as well. Gotta listen, now that the signals are getting clearer I really want to listen.
                        Chris
                        Unknown

Comment

• Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch
                          Ok this is definitely my last investigative post for a while (forgot to add it earlier).

This post deals with the ketogenic ratio which determines if your meals are ketogenic:
                          Ketogenic Ratio and Weight Loss » Sweet Geek

That is the ratio of foods that raise ketones vs. the foods that lower ketones, i.e. produce glucose.

Ketogenic Ratio (KR) = (Fat * .9 + Protein * .46) / (Carb + Protein * .58 + Fat * .1)

Ketogenic Ratio Description
                          < 1.0 Not ketogenic, if healthy you won’t register ketones
                          1.0 – 1.5 Mildly ketogenic, you may register ketones at this level
                          1.5 – 2.0 Ketogenic, most people will register ketones
                          > 2.0 Very ketogenic, you should definitely see ketones in this range

This does not take into account the energy expended by body fat being burnt once you are keto adapted.

This link looks at this problem Lucas Tafur: Total Ketogenic Ratio (TKR) but to be honest there are too many unknown variables (read the link) to know how accurate it is. The author suggests that whilst the KR ratio underestimates, this one overestimates so its snot really worth worrying about.

Taking my current macros of P 55g.C 6g Cals 135 0 (thus giving me F 123g)

KR = (123x0.9+55x0.46) / (6+55x0.58+123x0.1) = 2.7
                          If I use the same Pg & Cg but my old cals of 1130 (giving me F 98g) I get
                          KR = 2.4
                          So the next question has to be ‘what is the lowest Fg that I can use to give KR>2.0?’

Using my little macro calculator I end up with P 55g.C 6g F 69g Cals 865.

NB: This would represent the numbers for my macros if I was taking the low cal route with no blood ketone monitor to check & probably a DD on JUDDD (note to self – need to read a bit more on JUDDD nearer the time)

Final question is ‘.what is the lowest Fg that I can use to give KR>1.5?’

Using my little macro calculator I end up with P 55g.C 6g F 45g Cals 645.

NB: This would definitely be the lowest I would go on any protein sparing modified fast or possible JUDDD DD
                          I don't claim to begin to even understand the what or whys behind this. However, I do find it interesting. I plugged in my numbers. I expected that my DDs would be 2 or great and my UDs lower. It's actually the reverse.

So what does this tell me (if anything)? Do I fix protein the same each day or do I lower protein on DDs? Interestingly, higher protein on UDs (around 70 g) seems to have a fine ratio...

W U/D Cal Pro Carbs Fat KR
                          161.2 UD 1705 78 49 140 1.50
                          161.4 DD 596 30 2 50 2.41
                          162.6 UD 1799 86 19 153 2.11
                          162.4 DD 421 39 7 22 1.19
                          162.4 UD 1675 66 19 148 2.27
                          162.2 DD 610 62 4 36 1.40
                          161.4 UD 1714 66 17 147 2.32
                          162 DD 473 43 8 20 1.08
                          UD 1724 93 11 140 2.14
                          DNW DD 339 26 7 19 1.21
                          161.2 UD 1722 71 17 153 2.32
                          160.2 DD 352 16 1 31 2.64
                          DNW UD 1751 112 14 139 1.90
                          DNW DD 253 28 4 15 1.21
                          DNW UD 1736 74 21 170 2.31
                          159.6 DD 402 42 10 22 1.07
                          158.2 UD 1771 48 11 177 3.21
                          -- Ruth

Comment

• mmm, looks like I have some math to do.

for my past 2 days the ud was 1.91 the dd was .995, unfortunately the equation is so complicated that I cannot tell how to adjust it. However, I don't believe that being deeper into ketosis is vastly better than just being in ketosis (I think this was from Dr. Eenfeldt, but not sure exactly where I read it). I will sit down and check a few random days and see if I can learn anything.
                            Last edited by demuralist; 03-26-2013, 09:13 AM.
                            Chris
                            Unknown

Comment

• I have a spreadsheet with formulas
                              -- Ruth

Comment

• spreadsheets are the way to go..
                                Karin

Comment

Working...
                                X