No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (sbhikes)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dude is doing okay. He's the same as always. Still eating his oatmeal. Still spending the whole evening with an ice pack on his lower back. Still has to take benzodiazapenes to sleep and statins to pass his blood tests. Still convinced that my food and fitness ideas are insane and his way, the way of old men everywhere, is the right way.

Meanwhile, I have this crazy sense that this weight lifting and these crazy finisher things I've been doing for 5 minutes twice a week might actually be waking up the old, er, "furnace" inside me. I have had some vivid thoughts lately. Thoughts I haven't had since they took out my uterus in 2005.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Strength training will do that. Definitely works for me, anyhow. My guy definitely doesn't mind that particular side effect.
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• It's the week of potluck parties. I went to one last night with my jam session. One of the guys there asked if I've been doing a lot of walking. Said I was looking pretty fit lately. I don't think I look any different but maybe I do. A lot of the guys there flirt with me. I'm one of the youngest women in the group.

I have two more potlucks to go, both on Saturday. My dish to bring has been Thai coconut curry with vegetables and rice, no meat, so the vegetarians and gluten-free people have something to eat.

My back was killing me after lifting yesterday morning and then playing my fiddle. It always hurts when I play my fiddle. After I got home, I used my MA Roller thing and something clicked in there and all the pain went away. That thing is great. Like a wood foam roller, I suppose.

I got my deadlift back up to where I left off before I reduced all my weights. Tomorrow my squat will be where I left off, if I can do it. I get so dizzy doing squats. I think I'm going to try taking pedialyte. Taking supplements doesn't work that well. Maybe dissolved will work better. I'm getting leg and arm cramps once again and I'm not even low carb anymore. The dizziness might be orthostatic hypotension.

Comment

• Make sure when you're doing your squats that you're not holding your breath.

I was doing that and didn't even realize it until one day I burst a huge ass blood vessel
          in my eye and looked like a zombie from the Walking Dead for a week. It was HUGE,
          and FUGLY. God.

Comment

• I always get dizzy after heavy squats and deadlifts. It's the spike and then sudden drop in blood pressure that does it to me. I usually have to sit down or lean against something for a moment after a really heavy lift. Once I've had a brief rest, I'm fine. Apparently it's quite common.
            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• Yup, heavy squats and DLs make me feel like I'm going to pass out right after I'm done. It's ok.

Comment

• Sometimes I start to see the world get wiggly and black just standing there before the squats. But I agree, holding my breath probably has something to do with it. I might go down too fast, too.

Comment

• Nailed it in the gym today. Was able to increase my weights by 5lbs on squat and bench and on both I tossed in an extra set with an additional 2.5lbs. I felt great.

Comment

• I was able to increase weight again in the gym yesterday. I was also able to video myself for some form checks. I guess I do the press completely wrong. I will go in today and try to practice it.

I'm pretty bummed my waist has increased by an inch and a half. I hope it will come off again. My belly area feels very hard and tight but it's round and the added inches are fat, definitely. My appetite has decreased quite a bit lately so maybe I can get the extra fat off without hurting my strength-building.

Comment

• I'm up to 8 pushups. A month and a half ago I couldn't do any pushups.

Comment

• BZ on the pushups..... thats nautical signal flag talk for Good Job!

Comment

• Mushroom hunting season has begun here in my area. I found these delicious Hericium ramosums. This is one of the tastiest mushrooms I've ever found.

Also found some Boletes, but I'm not sure what kind they are exactly. Might be edible, might not. I won't eat anything I'm not sure is edible.

No Chanterelle's yet, but soon.

Comment

• Those Hericiums were the finest tasting mushrooms ever. We had them for dinner with lamb and an acorn squash.

I got a spore print on these so I think I identified them as Boletus dryophilus or Oak-Loving Bolete. Gonna have a nice omelet for breaky.

Comment

• Just wanted to stop by and say hello. I see your posts frequently and relate to a lot of them. I am interested in taking my primal weight loss to the next level and seeing what kind of fitness I can achieve as a 48 year old arthritic woman. I'd like to start some weight lifting, but will have to go slowly as most of my joints are toast. Congratulations on all your progress.

Comment

• I have serious mushroom envy. We're under a few feet of snow now, so no fresh wild mushrooms for quite a while yet!

Awesome pushups. Yay!

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X