Clear All

• Potty Squatting DOMS

That's what we call the inability to even sit on the toilet after
    a good weight training session.

If you become addicted to weight training, this is a sensation
    that you will soon begin to CRAVE.

Totally whack, but in a good way.

I feel you on the chocolate - I busted into my HUSBAND'S box of
    See's Candies last night (he buys HIS favorites for MY birthday, too...wha?)
    but I only ate three. However, they're 80 cals each... so there's that.

If you ever get tired of the assisted pull up machine, try negative chin ups -
    bring a bench under a pull up station, stand on it, get your hands in position
    (underhand, if there is a straight bar) put your chin over the bar, lift your legs
    up and SLOWLY lower yourself - even if this means straddling the bench you
    put under the thing.

Do that a few times and not only will it recruit more muscles than the pullup
    machine, but it will help you get to doing your own chinup faster.

And, you will definitely be hating life the next day from feeling muscles you didn't
    even know you had.

I remember my first time doing those back in 2007, I did about 8 and thought "what?
    what's the big deal?"

The next day I couldn't even use that little twisty stick thing that opens my vertical
    blinds it hurt so bad.

Then my kid asked me to make him some peanut butter toast and just spreading
    the peanut butter was a CHORE.

So lame.

It also recruits some crazy abdominal muscles I didn't know existed as well, like the
    muscles over your ribs. So weird.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it so far!

Sorry about feeling stuffed and your chocolate fest.... It happens, and it's not like you
    do it every night, so, bygones!

Julie

Comment

• Well, I'm pretty embarrassed because I could use the assisted pullup machine and do pullups as if my body only weighed 30lbs. It will be a long time before I try it without the machine.

I'm only a little sore today. It's a good sore though, and nothing is sore that is used on the toilet. I went for a hike today. I ate a big can of salmon, an avocado, some macadamia/coconut butter creations that I make myself. I'm going out to dinner to some crappy joint. I was going to make lamb chops, but instead I'll probably end up eating a crappy salad at this place. Gosh, I hope they even have salads. I'm pretty full from all the salmon and macadamias.

Dr. Eades had some new posts on his Protein Power blog. I hadn't checked in ages and there they were. One post was about books that inspired him. There was a link to download an older book called The Stone Age Diet. I downloaded it. It's actually really interesting even with its antiquated tone of voice. I read the chapters on the digestive systems of carnivores, herbivores and people. Now I'm starting it from the beginning.

Another thing: I bought 5lbs of potatoes and 3lbs of yams. I am going to try a new diet change and see how this does for me. Lots of salmon and meat and lots of potatoes and no more salads for a while. Cooked vegetables at dinner time. I am starting to suspect that what happens is you get insulin resistance, you use low carb to lose the weight and heal, then it doesn't really matter what you eat anymore so long as it's not industrial stuff. With all these russets I can do a weekly potato fast.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Well, dinner out was actually really tasty. I got a steak, rare, with vegetables and a baked potato. A nice basic dinner. Once the rare steak hit my system, I got a sudden burst of energy and happiness. I need to eat more steak.

Comment

• I downloaded these interesting books written a long time ago. They have a definite old-fashioned tone, but they are both extremely interesting. I read the chapters in the Stone Age Diet on the digestive systems of a dog, a sheep and a human and then I got distracted reading Vihljalmur Stefansson's descriptions of living with the eskimos in The Fat of the Land.

The Stone Age Diet
          Low Human Interference - The Stone Age Diet – Walter L Voegtlin – 1975

The Fat of the Land
          http://www.owndoc.com/pdf/The-fat-of-the-land.pdf

I like the description of the difference between grains and "monkey food" in the latter book. It seems that we can attain excellent health on monkey food but not on grains. It is grains that we aren't able to have good health on. Note that this book was written well before the amount of industrialization of food we have now. Monkey food is stuff like vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds and roots and tubers. So basically you can be healthy on only meat or meat and monkey food or eggs and dairy and monkey food, but you can't be healthy with grains in the diet or on a strict vegan diet.
          Last edited by sbhikes; 10-21-2012, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• I'm sorta craving oysters all of a sudden. I drove around to three different stores looking for oysters. I finally found them at Ralph's. Product of China. But at least they were packed in water instead of cottonseed oil and they weren't smoked. I hate that smoke flavor. I wonder where I can find oysters in water without smoke flavor that are from cleaner waters.

I ate one whole can of them and I'm ready to eat another can.

Comment

• I went and did my workout at the gym today. This weight lifting thing makes me really super hungry. It's not like my stomach is growling, but I look at the food on my plate and I feel like I want it piled even higher. More more more! It lights a ravenous meat-eating beast inside me.

For dinner, I made lambchops, half a sweet potato, a bunch of cauliflower and a delicata squash. I had half of this. I wanted both lambchops. Maybe 3 of them. I wanted all of the sweet potato and squash. I wanted more cauliflower. Now I'm worried my appetite is going to make me fat. I am terrible at appetite control. I guess my calories weren't too horrible today:

2 cans of oysters
              2 avocados
              cherry tomatoes
              lamb chop
              quarter sweet potato
              quarter of a head of cauliflower
              half a delicata squash
              several spoonfuls of pesto
              2 tablespoons of butter
              1 teaspoon of coconut oil
              about half a lindt chocolate bar, maybe 2/3 of one

I guess that's not so bad.

Comment

• I find I eat a lot more meat after I lift. If I satisfy that first, then I tend not to go quite as crazy on the other stuff. The body wants material for repair and building muscle.
                “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• I went to my exercise class today. Ugh, she had us doing shoulder workouts. This after all the weight lifting yesterday was mostly working my arms.

I noticed that I look a lot better in the mirror, especially my legs. More definition around my knees. It certainly cannot be a result of lifting weights as the only exercise of the legs done were squats and some hamstring hip-lift things using one of those big plastic balls. Plus I've only done two weight lifting workouts. It can't be my diet since it has blown up since the first weight lifting session. I ate like a starved salmon and avocado eating machine all weekend and a lady at work gave me 5 Lindt chocolate bars that are almost all gone. It can't be my dabbling at the potato diet thing since I only did 72 hours worth of it in the last two weeks, and not all in one go. It can't be running, hiking or biking as I've done slightly less of it for the past week or two. But perhaps it is all those things at once.

I think eating the potatoes was a good thing, nevertheless. I'm going to keep eating them.

As for the weight lifting, I realized last night that I did the assisted pullup machine all wrong yesterday. I don't think you are supposed to stand on it. I think you're supposed to kneel. I couldn't figure out why it seemed different and why it didn't feel like as much range of motion as I remembered. Fortunately I'm short so it probably works out pretty close to the same because standing on it I'm reaching nearly as high as I can.

Comment

• Lol, yes, most of them are designed for kneeling (but they're also designed for dudes, so the range of motion for a short woman would probably be fine standing up).

I wish I could get better definition around my knees. They seem to be permanently a little squishy looking. I think the insertion on my quads is pretty low, so I don't get that nice high V than some people do. I hope maybe with the serious heavy lifting I'll see some change there.
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

• I wish the spammers would quit copying the same thing over and over and over and over again. It's so annoying.

Yesterday I bought 4lbs of steak. It's just regular steak, not grass-fed but super thick. I cut it into 6 individual steaks and I cooked one rare last night before bed. I'm having it for breakfast cold. Cold rare beef. Yum!

I went to the gym in the early morning. It was nice then and the morning was so beautiful outside. I'm feeling stronger already. The pullup machine seemed easier. Some of the weights I started with are just too light. I feel stronger and healthier already and I feel good right afterwards. I'm glad that I decided to try this. I was afraid of the expense of hiring the trainer but I think it's been worth it.

I wore my new t-shirt that I bought at the meat market. It has a picture of a cow with the diagram of all the meat cuts and says "You can't beat our meat." I think it's pretty funny.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                        I wore my new t-shirt that I bought at the meat market. It has a picture of a cow with the diagram of all the meat cuts and says "You can't beat our meat." I think it's pretty funny.
                        Funny! My powerlifting coach has a t-shirt that says along the back hem: "Do these squats make my butt look big?"

Comment

• That's a good one. I found a t-shirt that says "They are happy because they eat lard." I'm tempted to order one. I really want some cool t-shirts like that.

Boy my big giant steak for breakfast kept me satisfied all day. I ate a potato with it. Then I ate another potato later. I've taken a page from the potato eaters. They really do satisfy. As does steak. No dinner today. Just chocolate.

Comment

• The farm I buy our grass fed and pastured meat from has t-shirts that say: "Life's too short to eat crappy meat". I love that.

Comment

• I have been eating like a horse lately. A lady at work gave me 5 Lindt chocolate bars and in a week's time I have eaten 4 of them. That's more than half a bar a day. I've eaten some monster steaks this week. But my waist is 29" and my clothes feel loose.

I found a good resource online that said instead of counting calories, do this at each of your three meals (if you are a man, double it):

- Palm sized (I guess that excludes your fingers) piece of meat
                              - Fist sized pile of vegetables
                              - Cupped hand sized starch if you need more calories
                              - Thumb sized amount of fat or nuts

I bet I could do three meals a day of this and be stuffed. It might work better to eat more regularly if I'm going to be weight lifting. It makes me really hungry and I end up in this state where I am starved so I eat BIG, then I'm stuffed and go a long time without. Or maybe it doesn't matter much. I don't know.

Comment

• Weightlifting makes me eat like a horse but get leaner. It really does affect the body differently than lighter weight strength training or cardio. Serious bodyweight training can do the same. I used to do intense bodyweight stuff at TKD training (handstand pushups, pullups, stuff like that) and ate tons then too. It's fun to freak out servers in restaurants when you down a huge amount of food as a leaner woman.

How are you finding your recovery?

Also, I am totally envious of your chocolate.

Owly's Journal

Comment

Working...
                                X