No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (sbhikes)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still not a cloud in the sky. At least the weatherman retracted his earlier prediction of rain all week.

I bought some size 4 pants at the thrift store this weekend. Since I buy my clothes at the thrift store, I'm usually a few fashion cycles behind. It appears there has been some major size inflation. I'm a little disappointed these size 4s are almost as baggy as my size 6s. I know it's not my body. I should have tried them on in the dressing room. I just tried them on right in the aisle over my shorts. They seemed okay and they're really cool pants. One nice thing about living here with all the college students and rich people is we have really good stuff at the thrift store.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• I'm considering a day of potato eating too sometime this week. I think two pounds of potatos should do it. But 175 gr./carbs... yikes!
      Height: 5' 10"
      Starting Weight: 292
      Starting Primal Weight: 275
      Current weight: 224
      Goal weight: 172
      Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I don't think 175 grams of carbs is all that much. I think a good shock to the system can be helpful, too.

For the last few weeks I've been eating a can of sardines in olive oil every day. Lately my joints are popping and cracking like crazy. My shoulders and my ribs mostly. The music stopped in the middle of my exercise class and it was like holy crap my joints are noisy! I am suspicious that the oil these fish come packed in is fake olive oil.

I think I'm going to have to get sardines packed in water and keep a bottle of California olive oil in my office. It's so hard to find real food anymore.

Comment

• I love sardines and have switched to the kind packed in olive oil and I wondered if the oil was the real stuff. I popped a can into the fridge, but haven't opened it yet.

I've been on a Ketogenic diet for a month now with carbs under 50 so 175 seems like boatloads, but compared to the way I used to eat isn't much at all.
          Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• I read something that said even the fridge test isn't completely accurate because there could be some olive oil. But I would be surprised if there was any if how I feel is any indication. My ankles were popping last night, too.

I'm going to try the potato thing starting today. I have enough potatoes for two days, I think. I will see if I can do it for two days. That's not much. Maybe if I see anything positive I can extend it. I just don't want to endure the teasing.

My waist was just a little under 30" today. I didn't weigh myself.

Comment

• I'm trying it too. I cooked two pounds this AM. I poured a little broth over the breakfast spuds. My stomach has been discussing this choice with me all morning, but beyond that, no problems. I'm a bit hungry 3 hours later, but not distractingly so.

If the scale goes down in the AM, I'll do it another day. I totally agree with you about shaking things up from time to time.
              Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• OMG, dude, it like totally rained here last night and this morning.

We even got ONE lightning and ONE bout of thunder... just one of each, then the storm
                completely stopped and now it's just rain-cloudy out there, but no rain.

So watch out, it could TOTALLY BE COMING FOR YOU!

BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES! ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

There, scared? Thought not.

Hey, I'm doing the potato thing too... tee hee!

Not as balls out as JUST potatoes, but yesterday at 12pm I made myself a disgusting
                green juice (kale, spinach, cucumber, red leaf lettuce and 1 tomato - juiced,
                not blended), though it was tasty to me (i like things that taste like dirt and
                grass) for the noooooootrients and then I baked up 10oz of potato wedges in
                the oven.

Curiously mine came out VERY crispy.... which they really always do, but that one dude
                in the potato thread was crying about HIS not coming out crunchy unless he used oil...
                Mine were fine.

ANYWAY, ate those (they were hard to finish cuz i got full), and I'll be dipped in shit, but
                you know what? I was full off those and the stupid green juice until 7pm, wherupon I made
                some sweet potato wedges - just one sweet potato, and that thing kept me full the rest of the
                night.

Okay, for one, I am a glutton, so for that to make me feel as full as it did, was uncanny.

I'm not getting all pro-potato here, but I DO think that switching things up for a few days works
                for sure.

I was full on keto for a month - but the problem there is that everything is so damn TASTY, that FATTY
                here can't STOP EATING the tastiness, so, er, nothing was happening really...

But add in a few potato days and I'm down 2lbs, when I've been stalled at the same weight for 4 months?

Whatever.

I'm not going to get all giddy about it just yet, I was just happy that the potatoes were so damn boring
                that I didn't want to eat my weight in them, but they were tasty too - and I got so bloated and
                FULL feeling afterwards, that I didn't FEEL like more, *or* anything else..... Which I usually do when
                we're sitting around watching TV. Even when I'm not hungry.

Not last night. Hell no.

So, whatever!

Okay, I'm so totally done filling up your journal with my idle rhetoric.

You have fun on your potato venture and if The Man Unit gives you any flack, lock him
                in a closet or something.

Julie

Comment

• Originally posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
                  We even got ONE lightning and ONE bout of thunder... just one of each, then the storm
                  completely stopped and now it's just rain-cloudy out there, but no rain.
                  lol! I got so excited when that happened! And then it stopped Boo.
                  My chocolatey Primal journey

Unusual food recipes (plus chocolate) blog

Comment

• On my way into work yesterday some of the roads were soaking wet, but I never saw any of the rain. The clouds were pretty, though. My boyfriend --er, the Man Unit-- got this cool app on his phone that takes time lapse photos and he got a really pretty one at sunrise with all the clouds moving.

I might see what happens with two days a week of potatoes. Eating just potatoes with salt or mustard on them is not a hardship at all.

Been drinking my coffee black. It's pretty good black. A French press makes damn good coffee.

I wouldn't expect to see any permanent weight loss even if I ate only potatoes for 7 days. I think maybe I really truly am at the lowest weight my own body can be. It would be worth a shot to try it for 7 days, but I suspect, based on how dang hungry I am this morning, that after a few days of potatoes I'd be eating at least 5lbs a day, maybe more, and CICO would become an issue. Perhaps this would be a good test for that whole "food reward" issue.

Comment

• Yeah, last night we went fishing with the boys and it thundered and lightninged on us again... which
                      was a little sketchy cuz we were out there with fishing poles... but, the lighting wasn't right over us.

Yesterday morning at 7am I got some really cool PINK CLOUD pictures with my cell phone.

Very odd because usually you see that at 5pm, or around sunset time. NEVER in the early morning
                      like that.

Kinda creeped me out. All still outside, and, um, pink.

So, on the potato front - yes, you are SO RIGHT with the whole food reward thing. Potatoes are
                      tasty good, but boring as hell, so, you stop eating basically when you tire of chewing.

I don't know what's going on with MY old lady body, but like I said, I've been stuck at the
                      same weight for 4 months or so.

I've been doing zero or low carb, on and off, since 1996.... In 2007 something broke and even a
                      deficit whilst eating very low carb didn't do jack SHIT. And I was weight training 3 days a week
                      and cardio on the other days.

Then summer rolled around and I said f*ck it, and started eating about 2lbs of cherries a day.

The weight started falling off. Seriously, it was so crazy whack I couldn't explain it. Went from
                      119 to 113 in about 2 weeks. What?

So now, with being zero carb or very low carb, and in a deficit, and not seeing jack crap once again,
                      then venturing on the potato thing (and I'm not even doing JUST potatoes), I'm down another pound from
                      yesterday's loss of 2lbs.

And, get this: I'm not even in a deficit. AND, since this is my "birthday month" (i milk it for all it's
                      worth... today is my actual birthday), the past 4 days that I've been eating potatoes here and there,
                      I've also been eating at least 5 pieces of my favorite birthday See's candies, resulting in about 400
                      calories of sheer SUGAR, bringing the days' totals up to about 1900 calories... yet, still losing....

WHAT-E-VER!

So, who knows, maybe for some, keto DOES have a depressing effect on the metabolism, or thyroid, or
                      whatever you want to call it.

I have no idea, but what I *do* know, is that my cell phone in my back pocket, is pulling my FAT pants down
                      around my hips, when they used to be, um, yeah, snug.

Whatever it is, I'll take it.

I'll be very interested to see what happens with your 2 day experiment!

Here is a pic of the pink sky yesterday:

Comment

• Pretty! Yesterday in the morning the sky was pink as if there was an explosion going on behind the clouds and over in an area away from the sunrise. It looked so unbelievable. I wished I would have taken a picture, but I knew it would never come out as amazing as it looked.

I don't know if it's the potatoes or the black coffee, but I'm not feeling so great today. Sick to my stomach and hungry at the same time and sort of dizzy.

Comment

• I bet it's the coffee. . .

Me thinks that whilst the potatoes are so satiating, they digest quickly and are put
                          to use, so when you drink your fully leaded coffee, the coffee has nothing to stick to,
                          or anything to really buffer it.

ALSO, I just can NOT, for the LIFE of me, drink coffee out of a French press. It's like freaking
                          rocket fuel.

I'm sure even if I put some crap piss coffee brand in there it would STILL be rocket fuel.

My father and step mother used to use a french press, and I swear I coulda either dumped
                          an entire pint of cream into it with no color change, or stood a fork up in it - it was THAT
                          strong.

So, I'm banking on the coffee.

Do I get a trophy if I win? Hope so.

Comment

• Well I had the same feeling, light headed, bubbly funny stomach and I was hungry about two hours after each meal.
                            Body Fat 30.5

Comment

• Well darnit, maybe it ISN'T the coffee then.

I'm off to slit my wrists and jump into a pool of battery acid
                              because CLEARLY I'm getting no trophy.

Sniff, sniff..

GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD!!!

Moving on, really DCarr? Hungry 2hrs later?

Man, when I ate my 6oz (or was it ten? too lazy to look) of potatoes,
                              I was so full even the thought of food made me almost gag. Blech.

I think the bloat from the potatoes had something to do with it as well... but still.

Ah well, carry on!

Julie

Comment

• I think it was the coffee. I was up all night.

I ate a real meal for dinner last night. Back when I was hiking the Pacific Crest, I would go about 4 or 5 days between towns eating crappy backpacking stuff like pasta and cookies. When I got to town, that first meal would affect me really strangely. I felt like that kid in the soup commercial who starts out as a snowman and ends up a little boy. It was like color would come to the world, the world would literally go from appearing less colorful to more colorful. And I would have feelings again and feel human again. Sometimes I would even cry over my meal.

My meal last night was beet greens with onions and peppers and leftover tri-tip. Nothing special. I felt like color came back into the world and I felt human again. Anyway, not sure if I will continue the potatoes today. I might. I probably will. I may see if this works as a once a week thing, Wednesday through Thursday afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X