No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (sbhikes)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been a while since I looked in on your Journal. First of all, your bikini pic is GREAT and I'm glad it's your after avatar now, too! And I'm glad you're doing well, sounding happy and that the bf is mellow for now, too. Enjoy this upswing (it sounds like you are!)
    SW: 243
    CW: 177
    Goal: Health

Comment

• Lets hope its just the bacon - and not the alternative? Relationships are complicated!

I've heard beef tongue tastes great if you cook it right.......... I'm just not brave enough to try it!
      1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
      2. Eat to heal
      3. Move to live
      4. Embrace today
      5. Live with intention
      6. Respect my body
      7. Cultivate joy
      8. Find my passion
      9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• At the jam session last night a lady there decided she wanted to take my picture. She said something about me having the biggest eyes she'd ever seen. She's kind of strange (lots of strange people in Santa Barbara). She comes to the jam every week and gushes over us and our music. So now here she is gushing over me with a camera in my face. Made me pretty uncomfortable. I just wanted to play my fiddle.

Roger was giving away avocados so I took one for my dinner. (We didn't have any ripe ones at home despite all our avocado trees.) I made a salad with avocado, a tomato from the garden and cold tongue all of it cut up and drizzled with a little vinegar. Delicious. Cold tongue is the best beef ever.
        Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• I was sad to read you describe yourself as 'big and ugly and old'. (And someone else.) Since you linked the big and old with ugly, I am assuming you mean them as negatives. Sbhikes, you just posted a great picture of yourself, as a fit, strong, slender woman. Your body is definitely not ugly. Not 'big' in any negative sense, since I am assuming we all appreciate functioning muscles here. And if it is old, well, all that experience seems to be doing it nothing but good.

That instructor obviously gave you a great workout. Love the bodies that can do that.

And, yay for pork bellies!

Comment

• you hike and play the fiddle........... I am sufficiently jealous!
            1. Love ME no matter what noises are screaming at me, or who is trying to tear me down.
            2. Eat to heal
            3. Move to live
            4. Embrace today
            5. Live with intention
            6. Respect my body
            7. Cultivate joy
            8. Find my passion
            9. Meditate on peace in my soul

Comment

• No need to feel jealous. Put on your shoes and grab your fiddle.

I didn't mean to be offensive with the big ugly and old thing but usually there's some tiny little 20-something in tight spandex up there. This lady looked like you're old gym teacher and dressed like her too. She looked so much like me in some aspects it was sort of scary. Same hair, same facial structure, similar shape and slight looseness to the old upper arms as me, same age (maybe a little older than me.) She actually did a good workout though. I ended up so sore. I can probably reproduce her workout, too, since she didn't do that many exercises. She just did them for long lengths of time.

Today I woke up not feeling all that terribly hungry so I decided it would be a good day to try the egg yolk version of bulletproof coffee. So I used two egg yolks instead of butter. I still put in a teaspoon of coconut oil and a heaping spoonful of unsweetened cocoa powder. It came out very frothy and tasted pretty much the same as always. Maybe a bit less creamy tasting but I certainly couldn't tell there were eggs in there.

Comment

• I'm not much of a cook. I just combine things that I think will taste good together. Tonight I fried chopped bacon, put the cooked bacon over diced home grown tomatoes, put that over lettuce and topped it all with a piece of salmon cooked in the bacon grease. Very tasty combo.

I made little chocolate mug cakes for dessert.
                Last edited by sbhikes; 08-17-2012, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Mark had a post a week ago or so with suggestions of fun things you can do outdoors. One of them was to sleep in your yard. That really appealed to me. I thought it would be fun to sleep in the yard on a night when it's just too warm and uncomfortable in the house (we have no air conditioning, nobody does in Santa Barbara.) So then I thought about it a bit and, well, I don't think it's such a good idea. There's really just too much wildlife out there. Truly scary wildlife. I mean, bears and mountain lions do not scare me. I can sleep in the mountains knowing they're out there no problem. But my back yard is full of raccoons, possums, fighting cats, and skunks. The raccoons will be dropping widowmaker avocados out of our trees. We could get hit in the head with an avocado or be sprayed by a skunk or have an ugly possum walk right over our heads. No thank you.

Comment

• Death by widow maker avocado...Hard one to explain to the insurance company. Indirectly caused by the Paleo Blueprint lifestyle!
                    Height: 5' 10"
                    Highest Weight: 292
                    Recent Starting Weight 287
                    Current weight: 244.0
                    Goal weight: 195
                    Body Fat 32.5%

Comment

• I bough pork kidneys yesterday. My book said to cut them in half and take out the fat core. I tried to cut them a little bit but it seemed kind of difficult so I left it in. The book also said to soak them for an hour in lemon juice, salt and water so I soaked them for 2 hours then plopped them in the crock pot. This morning the kitchen smelled like urine! Oh my god! I put the kidneys in the fridge, hoping that when they are cold I'll be able to remove the fat core. I hope the urine smell doesn't come from inside there. I cut of a small bit of one kidney and tasted it. It tasted like lemon and sort of like liver. Hopefully cold and cut up and mixed maybe in an omelet or something they will be edible. They were pretty cheap. Maybe now I know why.

Comment

• Hey sb!

I am by no means a kidney expert, but the soaking thing made no sense to me when I found a kidney and searched for kidney recipes, so I didn't - as my kidney offal didn't smell of much awful at all. I have read a lot of recipes that recommend also blanching chicken liver, which I also think is a rotten way of dealing with those livers, so I tried it once for kicks and it ruined my liver, so never again.

I did, however, slice the kidney in half and remove the fat core. Try them in several different ways - I liked my first attempt at sauteed kidney and didn't get the piss smell at all, so there is hope! You might try asking some of the Brits on the MDA via a recipes kidney thread - as they have the whole steak-and-kidney-pie thing going on over there. Oh - I had beef kidney, I think.

re sleeping outside - here are our nighttime visitors... possum, coon, chipmunk, mouse, deer, wild turkey, owl, snake, and bat. I know these are in the close environs, but haven't spied them close to the house yet (saw/see them after I leave the property) - coyote, skunk, groundhog, turkey buzzard, hawk. My girls are only really freaked out by... daddy longlegs!

I once pitched a tent in the front yard - it had a rain shell, and in the morning it looked like there was a whole longlegs convention in there, between the actual tent and the rain shell. The girls FREAKED. And I just thought to myself how much more work I have with them city chicks transplanted to the country...
                        Last edited by Crabbcakes; 08-19-2012, 02:36 PM. Reason: added the bat
                        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• We've got all of those, too, plus foxes, but we rarely see the coyotes. A bear got stuck up a lamp post in a nearby shopping mall once (?!) but I've never seen one in my backyard. I am completely creeped out by possums. Those giant rat like things creep about and tremble slightly. Yeeeek! I laughed at your post sb and can't get the image of raccoons dropping avocados on you out of my head!
                          SW: 243
                          CW: 177
                          Goal: Health

Comment

• The place I can safely sleep outdoors is on my balcony in the hammock. I was out there last night until it cooled off enough to come inside.

Sounds like there may be hope for The Guy yet. Relationship salvation by bacon. But seriously, he may just be leveling off some blood sugar roller coaster highs and lows that can make a person grumpy and hard to get along with. I hope it works out.

Comment

• He bought a feast of seaweed salad, squid and sashimi with chocolate covered figs last night. We are it outside. Maybe he's decided he likes this primal food.

As for the kidneys, I think most things can be improved with sautéed mushrooms and onions.

Went to a potluck breakfast this AM. If I had not brought an egg and sausage casserole there would not have been anything to eat for me. Except fruit and some really cute devilled eggs with little faces in them. So few of these I only took one.

It is too hot to do anything today. I have had a headache for three days, too. I wonder if it is a low carb headache. I've been drinking salted diet lemonade in hopes of helping it.

Comment

• We went to the drug store today and my boyfriend decided to take his blood pressure. After he did his I did mine. I haven't had my blood pressure checked since before this diet. My blood pressure has always been 110/80, normal, not bad at all. It was 104/65. My boyfriend's was almost exactly the same. That's the lowest blood pressure I've ever had.

Comment

Working...
                                X