No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (sbhikes)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonderful. So glad you had a marvelous time and fabulous food. I hope you link your pics when they're uploaded...
    SW: 243
    CW: 177
    Goal: Health

Comment

• What a fabulous primal vacation. I like that you could tell the difference between food tasting good, and making you FEEL good. There's more than one kind of good. Also, yay that it worked in stews!

Comment

• Sounds a-w-e-s-o-m-e! One of these days I am going to do something really radical, like pitching the family tent in the back yard, close to the trees, and actually sleeping overnight in it... (don't laugh - that is our level of outdoorsy experience! The last time hubby and I went "camping" it was in a huge Coachman Leprechaun...)

I now have you to look up to!
        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• Sadly my camera batteries weren't fully charged so I only got a few pictures. My friends are going to send me pictures that they took.

It is good to sleep outside in nature. On my first night, at the Virgin River, I slept outside without a tent. I could see the Milky Way. The rest of the time I used my tent. I can't sleep without generous refuge from mosquitoes. I sleep so well outside in my tent on my thin foam. I don't know what it is but I sleep great.

It appears I lost about 5lbs. I wonder if it will stay off. Not likely, but one can hope.

I'm dehydrating all kinds of new stuff so I'll be ready for the next adventure.

Here I am at the Cirque of the Towers.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Walking with my boyfriend to our breakfast place this morning he started telling me he feels horrible and has chest pains and it's because of all the meat I cook. I tried to remind him that I cook him fish and chicken and steamed vegetables, not steak all the time. He said, nastily as is his usual way, that he doesn't remember it that way. Ha! I've been cooking him fish and chicken and steamed vegetables for months because otherwise he pouts like a spoiled child! Anyway, after breakfast on the way home I reminded him that he just got off a plane, having flown across country. If he's feeling awful it's because of sitting immobilized in that pressurized tube. He probably has little blood clots in his legs from that and that's what's making him feel horrible. Ah, thank god he realized I was right. Now he's not seething in anger at me anymore today.

Comment

• Oh my goodness. Don't quite know what to say.
              (And yet I find something to say, anyway!)
              He's lucky you didn't smack him upside the head.
              A nice passive-agressive ploy might be to keep a chart of what food you serve him (and by the way, if YOU're making food for HIM he needs to just smile and say 'thank you'!).
              Then roll it up and smack him with it(preferably with a chunk of frozen ground round inside) next time he flings around nonsense like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                Walking with my boyfriend to our breakfast place this morning he started telling me he feels horrible and has chest pains and it's because of all the meat I cook. I tried to remind him that I cook him fish and chicken and steamed vegetables, not steak all the time. He said, nastily as is his usual way, that he doesn't remember it that way. Ha! I've been cooking him fish and chicken and steamed vegetables for months because otherwise he pouts like a spoiled child! Anyway, after breakfast on the way home I reminded him that he just got off a plane, having flown across country. If he's feeling awful it's because of sitting immobilized in that pressurized tube. He probably has little blood clots in his legs from that and that's what's making him feel horrible. Ah, thank god he realized I was right. Now he's not seething in anger at me anymore today.
                MY response to this tirade would have been, I am sorry you are feeling badly. However I am not your mother, maid, cook or nursemaid. I am also not going to stand by and allow myself to be treated with such disregard. You are more than welcome to cook for/feed yourself to insure your well being.

For you, sbhikes,-- why is having someone say things nastily/seethe in anger, for something you are not responsible for, acceptable to you?

Comment

• It's not. He can be a big baby. I just go live my life the way I want. Funny thing is he got a steak sandwich this evening at a stop on the way home from a Sierra Club hike (everybody stopped for beer and sandwiches) and I opted to wait to cook myself something when I got home. I made sure to point out that he was choosing to eat red meat tonight. I asked him if he was getting any chest pains. ha ha.

Comment

• I almost drank a glass of wine yesterday out of habit. Instead I took a few sips and decided it didn't taste very good and poured it out. I really want to keep off the weight I lost on my vacation. This morning it seemed like my belly was fat again, however I went to the fifth hole on my belt effortlessly for the first time. That's pretty amazing. I started on the first or second hole of my belt. I rode my bike to work today in the fog. About 3/4 of the way there I suddenly felt really strong and good. Riding my bike to work is a pleasure. It was also a test to see if not eating eggs stops my nose and post nasal drip from running. Sadly, it does not. Something about exercising slightly hunched over in the cold makes my nose run and I guess there's not much that can be done about it.

I was so hungry all day yesterday. I ate two sweet potatoes with a third of a stick of butter for lunch and finally that quelled the hunger until dinner. Then I ate nearly half a big cornish game hen with green beans and I made cauliflower mash with butter, salt and pepper. Oh my, was that ever delicious! Then I felt pretty satisfied, but honestly I could have eaten more. I burned up with heat and sweat all night. That probably means I was gaining weight. I don't think I can stay below 135 for long, sadly. What is it, low leptin from shrunken fat cells? How can I trick them into thinking everything is okay so they will let me be thin in peace?

Comment

• A friend of mine climbed Gannett a few years ago and ever since then I've wanted to go out there... Your picture looks awesome - so beautiful! Did you do technical climbing/mountaineering while you were there?

Comment

• No not really anything technical. I probably should have had an ice axe to climb Knapsack Col but I didn't. Just trekking poles and Keen low-cut hiking shoes.

I didn't mention that last night I served the man healthy whole grains: rice that may or may not have been infested with bugs. I don't really think it had any. I looked pretty closely. But there were some larva in the outer bag it was in. I wouldn't have served it if there had been webs and stuff in the rice, but my passive-aggressive side came out with this tiny sorta mean thing I did.

Comment

• I burned up with heat and sweat all night. That probably means I was gaining weight. I don't think I can stay below 135 for long, sadly. What is it, low leptin from shrunken fat cells? How can I trick them into thinking everything is okay so they will let me be thin in peace?
                          Sweat is a reaction to butter, it has high warming up potential.... Unfortunately, the only trick is time to get your body to adapt to the new set point of your weight. It's been about 3 years for me, and I am not there yet, hunger and weight heighten every time I let my guard slip.
                          My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
                          When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Comment

• Larvae means extra protein! :P

Comment

• Ok, so my partner is a passive-aggressive, irritable dickwad. Yes, I know that. Today is his birthday. One of those awful days where I know I'm going to set him off with some perceived transgression. I'm so sick and tired of this. The walking on egg shells, trying to figure out what it is that I say and do that sets him off. He's totally like some kind of dry drunk alcoholic. An alcoholic who isn't addicted to alcohol. Maybe my friend in FA is right that wheat does the same thing to people as alcohol. It really matters little. But I'm sick of trying not to set him off. Obviously, I set him off already today. Whatev. His problem, not mine. If he truly believes I sit around thinking evil things about him, that that's what is in my heart and not love, then that's not my problem, it's his. Happy F-ing birthday. Sigh.

Comment

• We went out for dinner for his birthday last night. He chose sushi so I had my favorite which is 4 pieces of nigiri (salmon roe and mackerel) and a sashimi seaweed salad. So much fish! His son came. The poor guy is younger than me but pretty fat and his fingers all crack and pop when he moves them. He asked what causes that and my boyfriend said that's arthritis. He wanted to know what to do about it so I suggested no flour, no sugar, no wheat and no vegetable oil for 30 days, just give that a try and see if it doesn't clear up the arthritis. He laughed and thought that sounded rough. The two of them had popcorn salmon (deep fried, breaded salmon pieces, what an abomination) and sushi rolls and deep fried ice cream for dessert. Probably a better dinner than normal, but I walked out feeling clean and refreshed and they staggered out stuffed from all the vegetable oil, breading and rice. People make their own choices. I'm pretty happy with mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X