No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (sbhikes)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If only I could send avocados in the mail. I could make a lot of people very happy. Can you believe I live in a place where you can go for a walk and there are avocados in the gutters and in the little green strips by the street and rolling down lots of people's driveways, including my own, all just laying there free for the taking? There's even a tree full of them growing on the strip in front of our house right on the street. Anybody could walk by and take whatever they wanted. I feel so fortunate.

And yes, I did belch a big one last night!
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Good grief, I had no idea they were so plentiful. They are on sale here in Westchester at 2 for $3. My Dad and I make them last as long as possible and they are treats not staples.
      SW: 243
      CW: 177
      Goal: Health

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
        ...there are avocados in the gutters and in the little green strips by the street and rolling down lots of people's driveways, including my own, all just laying there free for the taking? There's even a tree full of them growing on the strip in front of our house right on the street. Anybody could walk by and take whatever they wanted.
        Avocados in the gutters???? I think I am starting to cry....snifffffff Please help me and tell me that some kind soul gathers them and delivers a ton to some food program for the poor, pretty please?

But I think I understand. Central Texas was like that with pecan trees.
        I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

• My Wind River backpack trip is on! I'll drive all the way to Wyoming next week. I hope my old truck makes it. Now it's time to stock up on backpacking food.

Breakfasts:
          Pemmican, some of it homemade
          Instant coffee

Lunches:
          Homemade heart jerky
          A homemade super sweet energy bar I just made.
          I'll get some fancy cheese just before I go. I can have that for breakfast, too.

Dinners:
          Coconut curries: Thai green, red and yellow curry, vindaloo curry, Indian curry (says it's for chicken) and Tika masala spice pastes, coconut manna and I found some stuff called coconut cream powder.
          Meats: dehydrated chicken, and dried anchovies
          Vegetables: mushrooms, dried lily flower, dried tomatoes and there are sweet potatoes in the dehydrator right now. I have never tried the lily flowers. I'll try to taste them before I go. I'll have to test the potatoes, too. I've never had much luck with them before. I've mashed them this time and I'll turn them into powder after they are dry.
          Filler: chopped macadamia nuts.

Odds and ends:
          Maybe more nuts. Maybe tuna in a pouch and avocados.

My homemade energy bar:
          This energy bar thing I made has layers of Trader Joe's dried flattened banana on the bottom, a mixture I made myself with raw almond butter and melted beef tallow mixed with shredded coconut and tapioca starch. Hopefully it solidifies a little. Top layer is pressed dates with chopped walnuts on top. It's in the freezer now and once it's hard enough I will cut it into cubes and individually wrap each one inside a paper baking cup and some plastic. I hope they don't melt. I will test one tomorrow out on a hike in the heat. I already tasted mixing beef tallow and coconut and it was really good but didn't stick together very well. I licked the bowl of the almond butter, tallow and coconut and it's really really good. Something about the tallow makes it taste like heaven.

Comment

• I wore my new bikini today and went swimming in the swimming hole in front of the world. I am not the skinniest person in the world but there were no gasps by anyone in the vicinity so I guess it went well. Having a little bit more muscle than I used to sort of helps give me more confidence. Even though I'm pretty much the same size as ever, things don't jiggle as much as they once did.

I bought Loren Cordain's The Paleo Answer yesterday. I was hoping to buy a good book about this diet that had lots of science and didn't sound like a typical diet book. His book is really good. I've learned a lot. He's totally scared the shit out of me regarding milk. I pretty much only consume milk as half-and-half in my coffee, but I have it every day and I sometimes put a significant amount in my coffee. I also have it every day as butter. I have phlegm and lots of it. I have post-nasal drip and cough and clear my throat all the time because of it. People have commented about it, causing me embarrassment. I can't hardly breathe out of my nose most of the time, but I'm sure that's partly due to the whole Weston A Price adenoidal face thing from growing up on a poor diet and enduring the change in facial structure. Anyway, I should really try to avoid milk more than I do.

My hope is that my boyfriend will read the book after me since it'll be laying around the house. A few weeks ago he said something about how awful he feels all the time and listed a huge laundry list of symptoms and it's like every one of them is in there in that book, all related to the dairy, beans and wheat and the leaky gut. And the low-fat diet that Cordain recommends sounds like exactly what you need to lower your cholesterol if you are looking at it from my boyfriend's CW perspective. I'm pretty sure he'd totally see himself in that book and a light bulb would go on.

Meanwhile, I have learned a lot about how I could really clean up my current diet a lot and probably have even better results than I'm having now. Maybe even get to a leanness that isn't just okay for a 40-something woman, but actually good. Maybe. We'll see.

Tonight's dinner was a huge hunk of salmon, sliced cooked beats, steamed broccoli and sliced avocado. Totally Cordain paleo approved. (Why oh why can I not make crispy salmon skin? Is that too much to ask for??)
            Last edited by sbhikes; 07-08-2012, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• It is way better to buy beets with the tops still on. You get to eat the greens and they taste just as good as swiss chard. You can tell the beets are fresh by the greens so you know you are getting fresh beets. And they are cheaper than the kind where the tops are cut off already.

Comment

• My canned salmon yesterday featured a perfect Chinese yin-yang symbol.

Comment

• That would be a great t-shirt!

Comment

• All of a sudden poof I'm fatter! Argh! My waist is almost 31" from a low of 29. Eating too much I guess. Too much carbs, too.

Comment

• We did a class III rock scrambling hike today. My strength training classes help a lot for hikes like this. The lack of any appreciable cardio lately makes it hard to hike fast and keep up with others. I felt really super fat today. My hiking shirt was actually tight. It's like last weekend I wore a bikini and this weekend no way in hell! How does someone get so fat so quickly?? It's like I gained all the weight I've lost back all of a sudden. I hope my vacation coming up helps. Going backpacking for a week plus driving half way across the country.

Comment

• Are you sure it isn't water weight?
                        5' 9" 47 YO F
                        PB start June 2, 2012
                        Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                        Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

• I suspect it is not water weight. Even my upper arms are fat. I think it is because I made a couple of fruit smoothies with light coconut milk and frozen bananas and strawberries. And after I brought breakfast for everybody on Friday I ate all the strawberries for lunch. Dipped them all in almond butter. And also ate a chocolate bar over two days. Not a very dark one, either. I think fruit and almond butter are not agreeable to me being thin.

Comment

• As an experiment this week I did not eat any eggs. I think that it is eggs not dairy that gives me nasal congestion. The real test would have been to ride my bike to work. That really makes my post nasal drip run. I didn't get to do that test, but I swear I have not been coughing nearly as much.

Comment

• Wow, I hope not--I would think eggs are a cornerstone of this diet--it is for me at least. If I couldn't eat eggs, I think I would starve!! I sometimes eat six eggs a day....

Comment

• I just came back from my vacation. I drove for two days. I stopped at gas stations and ate pemmican as I traveled. I slept in a campground in the Virgin River gorge. Only cost $7.

When I got to my destination I had to wait in a rustic campground for other people to show up. I brought only lettuce, meat and cheese to make wraps and some cherries. I waited for two days for my friends. When they finally showed up, it was so funny that two of them had also adopted a version of this diet. We all talked about our physical and mental changes. Then we all went backpacking for four nights/five days.

I ate the most amazing backpacking food. I had spent weeks dehydrating sweet potatoes, yams and chicken and making pemmican. I had coconut butter and spices. I ate pemmican for breakfast and coffee with coconut cream powder. The pemmican tasted awful and I could only choke it down with sundried tomatoes, but it made me feel good.

We found all kinds of edible mushrooms. I put them in my chicken and yams and made all kinds of delicious mushroom soups and stews. Then I tried cooking my pemmican in with the yams and mushroom stews and oh man, that tasted like real food! I am definitely going to make more pemmican. It's a miracle hiking food.

We hiked in the most beautiful place I have ever been, more beautiful than Yosemite: the Wind River range. We hiked about 15 miles a day. Pretty slow for us. The hiking was hard! We saw two moose! I've never seen a moose.

After the 5 days of hiking were finished, I drove for two days home. I stayed in a KOA, my most expensive stop on the trip, but it had a shower, my first in over a week. I never felt very dirty the whole time because I would take sponge baths or jump into creeks or lakes.

I ate only lettuce wraps again on the way home, except I went out for breakfast on the last day. When I got home, my clothes were totally falling off. That's one way to break a stall, I guess. I never felt deprived. I was trying to save time and money. I ate like a king on the trail: porcini mushrooms (they're worth $85 a pound!), agaricus, puffballs. Stews full of fat and potatoes. I was able to keep up on the hiking. My friends have been hiking for 3 months and I was able to slip right in among them and keep up.

Comment

Working...
                                X