No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (sbhikes)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeing how amazing you look in your 'after' avatar, I'll bet that bikini will look great!
    SW: 243
    CW: 177
    Goal: Health

Comment

• Okay, I got a completely different mental image when I read your first sentence! The groceries caught me off guard when they showed up. Then there was the bikini. I had to shake my head and start all over to understand that shopping occurred, not romance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sabine View Post
        Okay, I got a completely different mental image when I read your first sentence! The groceries caught me off guard when they showed up. Then there was the bikini. I had to shake my head and start all over to understand that shopping occurred, not romance.
        It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with a mind that automatically "goes there". And definitely, flaunt that midriff.

Comment

• Hmm. I should be careful not to put words like "made out", "pork" and "bikini" adjacent to one another.

Okay, so I am a mess today. My leg and my back hurt from sprinting. My fingers hurt from making shoes and there's glue stuck to my fingers.

I'm enjoying making shoes again. Well, sandals right now. I made tons of shoes but so many of them did not work out. I threw them in a huge pile in the closet. So many hundreds of dollars in expensive soling sheets, expensive unit soles and glue wasted.

I've realized I can take the shoe part off of the sole and stitch a sandal on top. Or, if I liked the shoe but the sole fell apart, I can take the shoe part off and stitch it to a new sole. So now I will have a huge pile of sandals. Ha ha.

Meanwhile, I'm gearing up to make some oxtails and some pork belly. I think I'm going to try these recipes:
          Fast Paleo » Jamaican-Asian Braised Oxtails - Paleo Recipe Sharing Site
          Slow Roasted Pork Belly

But for dinner tonight I will have to make something uninspired like fajitas for The Man. I doubt he would eat oxtails or pork belly. He might, though, if it smells alluring enough.
          Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Actually, I think I'm going to cook my pork belly like Melissa's answer on paleo hacks. That way I can cook it overnight and have it for breakfast. If I like it, then maybe I will attempt something more dinner-like with a crispy skin on top.
            Best and easiest way to make a pork belly meal - PaleoHacks.com

Comment

• Well, the pork belly came out kind of soft and squishy. The juice has a tasty umami flavor from the soy sauce and fish sauce. It has solidified in the fridge into a gelatin. Melissa talked about it forming a layer of fat she could use to pan sear the pork but there was only the slightest layer of fat over the top of the gelatinous matter.

The oxtails were great. I thought there was too much bland sauce in the crock pot so I ladled it out into a pan and simmered it down so that it was thick and rich. I added some of the gelatinous juice from the pork belly for extra flavor and added some wine and soy sauce. It came out great. The oxtails are wonderful. There's all this gelatinous stuff at the tips of the bones that is so delicious. The bones have lots of fun shapes. It's fun to suck all the goodness off them as you eat them. I will definitely get oxtails again. It's my new favorite meat.

Comment

• I love oxtail soup. I've been getting them from my meat CSA. They seem amazed but pleased that anyone wants them. You can do oxtails with all kinds of flavorings added. Jamaican jerk seasoning, curry, cajun, basic garlic and herbs, etc. It's just not the type of food you really want to have on a first date when you are trying to make a good impression on someone. It's something you just have to get slurpy with.

Comment

• Great journal read. I'm inspired by your quest for outdoor connections. I enjoy hiking, but have not been in a good physical state to pursue more than a few weekend jaunts. Saw your Piper's hiking log - awesome outing. More awesome because it's routine for you to get out and do. It's good to see strong mature women taking it on and beyond.
                  Congrats on the body changes and personal realizations. I'm struggling with many issues and find reading through your journal has provoked some thinking.
                  :]
                  Last edited by HeuristicFireFlower; 07-04-2012, 04:31 PM.
                  “Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good”. - Popular translation of Voltaire

If you are honest with your lacks, BE honest with your abundance, as well.

"....the route finding part, and dead reckoning - figure out where I need to be and how to get there, then stay on target as I move over the land and through the forest."
                  - Originally Posted by Meant2Move

Comment

• Thanks for the compliment, HFF. You should find your own way to be a strong woman.

Thanks for the suggestions for oxtails, Paleobird. I don't think my BF liked them. I didn't even get one of his tepid "thank you that was good" statements that he says when he doesn't like something I've made. That's how much he probably didn't like it. So my future oxtails will all be for me alone.

Today we went for a hike together. I wore a pair of minimalist sandals that I made. They were really super comfortable. I felt really super strong today. My exercise classes are such a huge help to me. They keep me strong and capable so that I can sometimes be lazy and NOT go hiking but then when I do go hiking again, I am still strong and don't get tired. Back before I read the Primal Blueprint exercise book I thought I should hike hike hike all the time to maintain my hiking fitness. But really all that does is tear your body down. I can maintain my fitness with strength exercises. So much easier!

Because I ate WAY too much last night, I went hiking without breakfast. Just a bulletproof coffee (with about a tablespoon of butter) and a 2nd coffee with half-and-half. I was pretty darn hungry when we got to the top of the mountain. I ate all my snacks (avocado, nuts and beef heart jerky.) I felt strong all the way up and all the way down. We selected an alternate way down and discovered a trail someone had built. We followed it to see where it went. We ended up sort of where we were headed anyway so that worked out well. Our alternate route added some extra ups and downs but I felt so strong from all my exercise classes that it was not a bother at all. It also helped that it's darn cold today for the 4th of July. It's foggy as hell. I don't think the sun is coming out today.

Comment

• After our hike yesterday, I waited and waited and waited for my BF to make dinner. I was so hungry. He finally got it made at 8pm. It was his turn and he had already set stuff out earlier to defrost so it's not like I was expecting him to do something he wasn't already going to do. He acted really annoyed with me when he served it. He made salmon, steamed vegetables and corn on the cob. I knew I would be hungry after eating this so I piled on a huge slab of butter hoping that would help. But after I ate everything I was still hungry so I added an avocado. I think this annoyed him.

I eat more food than he does most of the time and I feel embarrassed by it. I don't know how he can eat like a bird like that all the time. I think he gets annoyed with me because I eat so much. Even though it obviously doesn't make me fat. He's like 6 inches taller than me and only ways about 10-15lbs more than me but in my opinion he looks much larger than me. He's got a bit of a belly but normal-sized arms and legs and a small bone structure. I think he just doesn't have much muscle for a man and far less muscle and bone than me.

Still, it's very embarrassing that I need to eat so much more food than him.

Comment

• I feel similarly with my boyfriend. He lives off of ramen and our shared primal dinners, for the most part. Sometimes he bakes, and will make several meals out of cookies. He is very resistant to people suggesting change, so I am doing my best to let him do his own thing, but keep an eye out for opportunities where he seems to be looking for suggestions. He is fairly lean and muscular, from a childhood/adolescence full of constant activity, including weight training and martial arts. His muscle memory is excellent as a result.

I will usually eat 2-3 times a day. I don't eat more than 1800 calories per day, usually, but it looks like I eat a lot more than him because it's not a bowl of wheat-product, which might be filling for him, but just makes me feel ravenous and bloated. He doesn't seem to understand the way I eat at all, and I think maybe your BF is coming from a similar place. I don't think it's that they don't *need* to eat less, it's just that they don't, and the less-than-spectacular food choices give them enough glucose or body fat to survive off of, but they are certainly not thriving.
                        Depression Lies

Comment

• It sounds like my BF is similar to yours. He really favors sweet things, too. Loves a huge pile of pasta or rice but not a big piece of delicious salmon. He's not thriving, either, that's for sure. I feel great and I look better than I have in years, but I do get feel a lot hungrier and can put away a large quantity of dense food. I suppose I could look and behave more ladylike if I could somehow eat less, but I just can't seem to do it.

Comment

• Well, the oxtails weren't loved but my chicken was. Sometimes a simple meal is so delicious. Baked chicken (pastured!), steamed broccoli, carrots and sweet potato cubes, sliced tomatoes and avocado (from our garden). In heaping portions. I was pretty sure I would feel stuffed eating such a heaping plate but nope. Real food just sinks right in. I feel nourished and happy.

Comment

• Dinner last night was a huge feast. This morning I am not hungry for breakfast. I think if I lived alone I would naturally start to fall into some kind of fast/feast schedule. Maybe not fast 5, but something like that.

Comment

• Hi sbhikes!

Did you BELCH after the feast yet?!

I think I will start hanging out here and reading earlier stuff. I bet you could give me a lot to think about.

This family could go broke if we bought all the avocados we actually wanted. Four of us (out of a six-person family) can't get enough. I wonder how many it would take before we actually wanted a break from the green goddess of fruit...
                                I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Comment

Working...
                                X