No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (sbhikes)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He won't admit that he's almost following my diet, but he is. Cue evil laughter. I'll know for sure when I don't see bread in the house anymore.

Lately I've felt really awful. Really blah. I think it is the June Gloom, the fog that rolls in for the summer. It zaps the life out of me. The strange thing is I'll feel so sluggish and then eat something and it perks me up for a few minutes.

I've been so sore, too. The sprinting last Saturday left me very sore. Then I had to help lead that hike on Sunday so that perpetuated the soreness. Then on Tuesday, still feeling stiff, I took a stretching class. The stretching destroyed me. I've been so sore I've had to lower myself to the toilet bracing myself on the sink. I went to my Thursday class, too, thinking I would just wimp out on anything that hurt. My arms don't hurt so I was hoping for more arms and less legs. The leg stuff hurt so I did it really super wimpy. I'm a little less sore today but I'm really tired of being sore. I won't get to do my sprinting today because I'm still sore and I just can't keep wrecking myself. I have to lead a Sierra Club hike tomorrow afternoon so no sprinting tomorrow. Maybe I will sprint on Sunday if I'm not sore at all.

My waist was 31" last night and 29.5" this morning. Funny how that works. I remember when my waist was 28. I would really like to get to that again someday. Maybe it's not possible when you get older.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
      I think it is the June Gloom, the fog that rolls in for the summer. It zaps the life out of me.
      Ugh, I remember the June Gloom from my growing-up years in SB ('75-'87). Sprinting sounds like a great way to blast it out, as long as you can still walk the few days after. We have our own June Gloom here in Berkeley. I have the furnace on right now.

I enjoy reading your thoughtful, well-written posts and following your progress. Glad you're keeping us posted and congratulations on all you've accomplished. Maybe I missed this in an earlier post, but are you planning on doing the full Pacific Crest Trail or certain parts?

Robyn
      I do whatever my microbiome tells me.

Comment

• I have hiked the whole PCT in parts. Two 3-month parts and lots of little 4 day parts. I've seen it all and some parts up to 3 times now. Someday I hope to do more longer sections again, perhaps attempt the entire thing all at once, but I'm not sure if I would enjoy it more doing it all at once or doing it 3 months at a time.

Comment

• Went out for sushi tonight. Had Salmon Roe nigiri, mackerel nigiri and a seaweed and sashimi salad that had all kinds of raw fish plus octopus. I'm not a big fan of octopus, but it was not bad. Everything was so delicious! Oh, and also salmon skin roll. Yum! Then we went out for ice cream. I actually had some. I couldn't finish it. That has NEVER happened to me before. This was my first time having a whole bowl of ice cream since I started this diet almost 10 months ago. I had a small size. I couldn't finish it. I'm flabbergasted. It was my favorite flavor, too: mint. I only had about two bites left but I just couldn't do it. Wow, what a change. I could have easily popped another mackerel nigiri into my mouth, though. That stuff was gooood.

Comment

He won't admit that he's almost following my diet, but he is. Cue evil laughter. I'll know for sure when I don't see bread in the house anymore.

Lately I've felt really awful. Really blah. I think it is the June Gloom, the fog that rolls in for the summer. It zaps the life out of me. The strange thing is I'll feel so sluggish and then eat something and it perks me up for a few minutes.

I've been so sore, too. The sprinting last Saturday left me very sore. Then I had to help lead that hike on Sunday so that perpetuated the soreness. Then on Tuesday, still feeling stiff, I took a stretching class. The stretching destroyed me. I've been so sore I've had to lower myself to the toilet bracing myself on the sink. I went to my Thursday class, too, thinking I would just wimp out on anything that hurt. My arms don't hurt so I was hoping for more arms and less legs. The leg stuff hurt so I did it really super wimpy. I'm a little less sore today but I'm really tired of being sore. I won't get to do my sprinting today because I'm still sore and I just can't keep wrecking myself. I have to lead a Sierra Club hike tomorrow afternoon so no sprinting tomorrow. Maybe I will sprint on Sunday if I'm not sore at all.

My waist was 31" last night and 29.5" this morning. Funny how that works. I remember when my waist was 28. I would really like to get to that again someday. Maybe it's not possible when you get older.
            Bullpuckey. I'm 50 and mine is 27". Please don't slide into that blaming it on age thing. Yes, I know that June gloom sucks but it will get better soon. Hang in there. We really don't live in such a bad place if the worst weather we can complain about is a little coastal fog now do we?

Comment

• I led the Sierra Club hike last night. It was such a beautiful balmy day. First the Summer Solstice Parade and then an evening hike that ended at 9pm.

When I got home to take a shower before bed, my belly was blown up like a beach ball. I often swell up after hikes, but this was ridiculous. I hope it's just the gut flora pills I'm taking and not a sudden weight gain. I feel so fat. Even this morning taking a walk to the coffee place I feel like I can't breathe my stomach is such a huge watermelon. Ugh.

Comment

• Okay, I just went shopping. I didn't need much. I already had tons of stuff. This is my plan for the week. I'm hoping it will work.

1. I have liver and grass-fed ground beef I can eat for breakfast. I could eat it for lunch, too, I suppose. I also have pastured eggs. Pretty much the usual breakfast. I'll keep the amount of eggs the same (2) and eat a smaller portion of meats.

2. I have cans of salmon for lunch. I've been eating sweet potatoes for lunch and sometimes cans of salmon and almost every day some chocolate. I'm going to nix the chocolate and potatoes. Go for just the salmon.

3. I bought lots of frozen salmon for dinners. I think there is some chicken somewhere in the freezer, too. My man likes lighter fare. But tonight we're having grass-fed steak.

4. We have lots of sweet potatoes, chard, onions, cauliflower, sugar snap peas and other veggies as usual.

My plan is to try to maximize the O3 meats and fishes and minimize the chocolate and potatoes. More veggies, too. Here's hoping I can get something to change.

I think I feel healed enough from all my recent horrible muscle stiffness and soreness to sprint this afternoon, too.

Comment

• Have you thought about changing something besides just your diet? More light or at least vitamin D? Different kind of activity? Or even just waiting for it to pass? Maybe you have a virus of some kind.

Comment

• Well, my mood and energy feels so much better now that the sun came out. But all of a sudden I have become alarmingly fat. So that's what I'm going to try to deal with. I don't want to go back to being fat. I'm also very constipated, so that's why I'm going to try to adhere closer to a paleo diet high in O3 fats and take probiotics. I think having sweet potatoes for lunch (which made me feel very sleepy) and too much wine and chocolate has been a bad thing.

Comment

• Life's been livericious these past couple of days. I opened a package of US Wellness grassfed liver and out flopped one huge piece of liver and one small piece. Had a small piece for breakfast, half the large piece for dinner and the other half of the large piece for breakfast this morning. Ahh, liver. I love it. Oddly it makes me really hungry. But this last piece made me really full. So maybe I was in serious need of liver and it took a whole pound over about 24 hours to satisfy that need.

Comment

• I am getting grassfed lamb liver from my meat CSA and that is very livericious. It has a milder flavor than beef liver and is very tender.

I used to have problems once in a while trying to donate blood having my iron level too low. That hasn't been an issue since I got over my phobia about liver. (I thought about that because I'm going in to donate on Thursday. Liver for breakfast.)

The plan to minimize the chocolate and spuds while upping the veggies sounds solid to me.

Comment

• I wish we had a big deep freezer for a big meat CSA payload. That would be awesome. But I'd probably not get enough liver in the mix.

My BF has kept a page open in his magazine about a new vegan restaurant in Santa Barbara. I might end up having to find something to eat on a vegan menu. I read the article. It sounds like it would actually be fairly difficult to find anything to eat that wasn't just a salad. I'd be willing to go, though. I would be willing to compromise with tofu or legumes and brown rice if the dish sounded tasty enough. One night wouldn't kill me. I could sneak some kerrygold in. I've done that before. I wonder what kind of oils they use to cook with.

Comment

• I just had something so completely decadent. I'll probably gain a million pounds from it, but we'll see. 1/2 can coconut cream, one very cold banana and one heaping spoon of cocoa powder. Some ice in the blender and it was the thickest, richest, unsweetened chocolate milkshake ever.

Comment

• I made out at the ethnic grocery today. $21 got me some produce, hot sauce, pork liver, oxtails and pork belly. I also bought a bathing suit--2 piece. OMG. I hope I have the courage to wear it. My stomach is not flat, but you can see some faint abs, so it's not totally scandalous. I might have to shave a little "down there", which is the worst thing.

I went sprinting today and hurt my thigh somehow. Bummer. I attempted a chin-up and failed but I lowered myself as slowly as I could. So I attempted to just hang there and did it holding the bar chin-up style and then holding the bar pull-up style. It hurts my hands more than anything. That's one thing I never liked in childhood was always getting blisters that tore and getting calluses under each finger.

Comment

I made out at the ethnic grocery today. $21 got me some produce, hot sauce, pork liver, oxtails and pork belly. I also bought a bathing suit--2 piece. OMG. I hope I have the courage to wear it. My stomach is not flat, but you can see some faint abs, so it's not totally scandalous. I might have to shave a little "down there", which is the worst thing.

I went sprinting today and hurt my thigh somehow. Bummer. I attempted a chin-up and failed but I lowered myself as slowly as I could. So I attempted to just hang there and did it holding the bar chin-up style and then holding the bar pull-up style. It hurts my hands more than anything. That's one thing I never liked in childhood was always getting blisters that tore and getting calluses under each finger.
                                A two-piece, scandalous!!! Lol, you are braver than I! I say wear it! Let me know how it goes, it's my goal to one day wear a bikini

Comment

Working...
                                X