Primal Journal (sbhikes)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go away spammer.

Tonight I cooked us two bison rib-eye steaks. They were delicious. They had to be at $36 for the both of them. Don't ever complain I don't take you out to nice restaurants! I wish I could eat that every night. Something about steak. You can eat a huge amount and not feel stuffed. I served it with salad and sauteed mushrooms.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from US Wellness today. I am going to try to make my own pemmican, I think. I ordered tallow so at least I don't have to make that. I will get some lean meat at the grocery store for the jerky. Because they have a minimum order size, I also ordered heart, liver and liverwurst. It's hard to find grass-fed organ meat.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• When I ride my bike to work my nose runs, I get lots of post-nasal drip and I cough a lot. I've wondered if that is from dairy products. However I didn't have dairy products before I rode my bike to work and still had all the nasal problems. I wonder how long it takes for dairy products to leave your system. I don't drink milk except I will put a little half-and-half in my coffee when I'm at work and I like to eat cheese at home and sometimes sour cream and of course, butter.

Comment

• Man, you have to read the labels on EVERYTHING. I went to the store to buy pepper. There's a can labeled "pure ground black pepper" and it costs $5. Next to it is a can labeled "pure black pepper" for $1.69. So I check the cheaper one and noticed an ingredients list. There are like 12 ingredients including sugar! Sugar in something labeled "pure" black pepper? The other one had no ingredients list. I sure hoped that meant there is only pepper and nothing else in the can. Our modern way of life is totally absurd. This is why I hardly ever shop at normal grocery stores. When I shop at the health food store the spices are in a jar and I can see it. I scoop out what I need into a bag and put a little label on it.

Comment

• Who said "ya know, I like black pepper, but if it was just a little sweeter, I'd love it. I like my spicy/hot things to also be sweet. Now, where's my onion-flavored garlic powder?"
          If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• Sugar in pepper? Absurd. Just popping in to say I admire your strength, courage and dedication...whether you think you are or not.
            5' 9" 47 YO F
            PB start June 2, 2012
            Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
            Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

• Thank you.

Comment

• Today's breakfast:
                US Wellness Meats liverwurst slices on lettuce leaves with avocado and sour cream. Yummy! Had to fight my parrot for the avocado. She sees it and comes a'running and steps all over my breakfast. Crazy bird. They tell you birds will die if they eat avocados. Tell that to my avocado fiend bird.

I decided I would do my pointless, occasional waist measurement. Wow, 29"? Really? It's always stuck at 30". Maybe the sprinting has done something. Tomorrow I will sprint again.

My workouts these days are slow walking Monday and Wednesday. Tuesday and Thursday is my core fitness class and I try really hard to make it hurt. Daily I've been trying to do pushups against my desk until failure, both the front kind and the reverse kind. Yeah, I know against my desk is cheating but I can do more of them so I think that's better than doing only one single pushup on the floor. I can do 10 on my desk frontwise and 8 rearwise. Then on Friday I sprint. Once a week or so I've been riding my bike to work (18 miles round trip), not too fast. I meant to do it today but didn't. Oh well. A hike on the weekend. Some laying about on the weekend, too.

I've been eating like a horse lately, or maybe not a horse, maybe like a lion or a man. I've felt kinda guilty, but down an inch on my waist? Maybe it's okay.

Comment

• You know, I think the sprinting does have a lot to do with it. Both my fiance and I noticed some fat loss when we sprinted both on foot and with our bikes. But hey, good on ya for loosing an inch!! That's awesome!

Funny about your parrot--I had a small Meyers Parrot and he was always mooching food off of me, like he loved bagels with jam (back when I used to eat that kind of stuff). What kind of parrot do you have? I used to bake my birds little birdy corn bread with all kinds of veggies in them and of course I chopped up all kinds of veggies and fruit for them.

I also felt the same way about pushups as you do--I thought it was better for me to actually do them however I could rather than only a few on the floor. I have a rotator cuff tear, so I have to be careful and I don't think the floor pushups helped. I had a setback back in November and did nothing for two months except for physical therapy. My pull ups are hideous too--in fact, they're non-existent! I can only do a static hang at this point and only for a few seconds!!

Comment

• I have an umbrella cockatoo, a blue-crowned conure and two parakeets. My poor conure has an obesity problem. But I've been a lot stricter with her on the nuts and I think her huge blobby fatty tumor is shrinking a little bit. It's hard though because the cockatoo drops nuts and pieces all over and the conure finds them on the floor and eats them.

I posted my success story yesterday in response to a conversation about how Mark's usual Friday success stories rarely feature women, rarely feature women with life-long weight issues or middle-aged women. The one middle-aged woman's success story he has is quite unrealistic. If you are looking for realistic success, I think my story is a good example.

This is the success story most of us middle-aged women find problematic. Most of us would like to look like Paula's before pictures.
                    A Primal Woman Looks at 50+ | Mark's Daily Apple

These are my success pictures:
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post858444

Here's my rant and a reason for posting my pictures:

If you look at my chubby little 11-year-old self there's no way in hell I can expect to come out looking like most of the success stories that Mark features. It's not there in my genetic potential. I've spent the past few months trying to come to terms with that.

It really seriously bugs me the attitude some people on this site have (usually men or younger gonzo body-builder women) that to accept yourself is to settle for less. If I really wanted it I would work harder, lift heavier weights, make whatever dietary sacrifices, eat pounds of potatoes after workouts, etc. What would the point of that be? To live in a state of struggle? I did that my whole entire life and look where it got me. (See me in 1984 or me in 2011.)

The message I get sometimes is that struggling and sacrifice will magically work now because I'm eating Primal foods. What do you think that 11-year-old girl ate in the 1970s before they invented HFCS? That little girl had a stay-at-home mom that made pot roast and chicken (before industrial feedlots got as insane as they are now) and made me drink milk and never let me have soda or junk food (which back then was made with palm or coconut oil anyway). That little girl swung on monkey bars, ran around on the playground and was killer at jacks and spelling bees, too.

The miracle of the Primal Blueprint or Paleo is that I reached my genetic potential without going hungry. Lots of times I ate like a pig, too. All the other times in my life when I've been this size I've had to starve myself and run. I'd end up with severe depression. I'm not depressed this time. I feel annoyingly happy and confident. The strength training helps a lot too because it makes me stand up straighter and that by itself makes me look 10lbs thinner. Anything more I can do will only make me look like a little better version of me, never like Paula.

I still have hope that maybe someday I'll be a little less fat. But I am not going to look toward that day with some sort of anticipation that I'll finally be "there" and everything will magically be "better". I'm here now. I'm able to do the things I enjoy. I feel healthy, happy, strong and calm. I'm starting to realize I'm not going to wake up a blimp tomorrow. Eating real food and doing active things I truly enjoy, I can just be who I am supposed to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                      The miracle of the Primal Blueprint or Paleo is that I reached my genetic potential without going hungry. Lots of times I ate like a pig, too. All the other times in my life when I've been this size I've had to starve myself and run. I'd end up with severe depression. I'm not depressed this time. I feel annoyingly happy and confident. The strength training helps a lot too because it makes me stand up straighter and that by itself makes me look 10lbs thinner. Anything more I can do will only make me look like a little better version of me, never like Paula.

I still have hope that maybe someday I'll be a little less fat. But I am not going to look toward that day with some sort of anticipation that I'll finally be "there" and everything will magically be "better". I'm here now. I'm able to do the things I enjoy. I feel healthy, happy, strong and calm. I'm starting to realize I'm not going to wake up a blimp tomorrow. Eating real food and doing active things I truly enjoy, I can just be who I am supposed to be.
                      SB, the above quote is why I subscribed to your thread--you are real and encouraging all at the same time. I like reading about all your trials and tribulations because you seem like a normal woman who has struggled on and off with weight and you have or had realistic goals. I feel like I should adopt your attitude about it, because I am still struggling with that goal of less than 20% body fat (for some strange reason) and I still find myself getting on the scale, tracking my BF all the time, just waiting for it to get to below 20% (and it's close, which is why I am obsessed now). But, for what? My fiance thinks I'm hot now, so I'm not sure what I keep struggling with? Like you, I just want to be healthy--that really was my focus when I decided to change my diet and lifestyle. I don't want to end up crippled and on tons of medication if I can help it. But it is hard when there are success stories of women in our age group who achieve what Paula did. True as you say, I could probably achieve that as well if I wanted to spend more time working out and obsessing over Fit-Day and things like that, but I don't think living that way will make me happy. And even Paula said that she got down to a low % of BF, but she's back up to a higher % now because what she did to get that way isn't really sustainable. Even body builders don't sustain that level of BF all the time.

So, I agree, we do need to find a way to come to terms with a "normal, healthy" female body (which probably has more than 20% BF!) and just being as healthy and happy as we can and just enjoy life and food without feeling guilty about it.

And BTW-I think you look awesome now and it is cool to think that you have the body composition that you do while not feeling hungry or deprived and not having to spend 2 hours exercising every day to get that way!
                      Last edited by Pony500; 06-09-2012, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• Thank you, Pony. It's still a struggle to accept myself sometimes. Seeing those pictures of myself as a child it suddenly became so crystal clear. I am not my sister and never will be. Heck, my sister doesn't even look like that anymore. (cue evil laughter) And my sister has had boob jobs, botox, collagen lips (ew the horror), laser hair removal and god knows what else. She's not even happy with herself. What the hell are we all doing to ourselves?

---

I went for a hike yesterday with the Sierra Club. I swear I am so fed up with people. I know most people here will side with the other guy, but anyway, I'm hiking along and this guy is going on and on about how he wouldn't want to see a bear, the last thing he would want is to come around the corner and see a bear, he really hoped we wouldn't see any bears. Bears, bears bears. I couldn't take it anymore so I turned to him (I swear I never do this kind of thing) and said, "What's your problem? What do you have against bears? What did a bear ever do to you?" He was kind of taken aback and responded with some BS about not wanting to encounter a dangerous animal like that, and something about grizzly bears. I laid into him about how I hiked 3000 miles in the wilderness and managed to see 9 bears run away from me in absolute terror and I never felt afraid and if you are so afraid of bears maybe you should just stay out of the mountains. Then I said to him, "you are so afraid of bears and yet every day of your life you get into your car and drive and every year about half a million people are killed in car accidents and yet you aren't afraid of that at all. Instead you are afraid of grizzly bears. You do know that we exterminated all the grizzly bears in California, right? If anybody should be afraid it's the grizzly bears." That pretty much shut him right up. A few hours later he said something to me about how he was kidding with all that bear talk. Yeah right.

One thing I learned by hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, and I think that Mark sort of barely skirts this in his recent discussions about the healing power of nature--barely touches it because even he has never lived it--is that there's this profound disconnect people have about nature. I lived out there and felt completely at home. I was not always comfortable (rain, mosquitoes, hardships of one kind or another) and yet I was completely at home, safe, content and happy. I got to a point where I could peer out at this world of cars and noise with confusion and wonder (how on earth do people live like that, I'd wonder) and then melt back into the forest again where I belonged. I felt like a wood nymph.

The truly dangerous place is civilization. In civilization there are cars to run you over, rapists to hurt you, poisons and toxins everywhere, an imperative to consume and pollute and destroy and waste your life in pursuits that enrich others at your own expense. And we see that as the normal, healthy, safe, secure place. Nature is what gives us all life and without it we die. But we civilized people see it as the dangerous place we must destroy so that we'll be safe. We're killing ourselves with this disconnect. It's absurd.

Comment

• I agree with you 100%, lady.

While I don't back country hike like you do, I feel deprived if I don't get into the woods at least once a week. Usually it's more and if I don't see another human all day it's perfect. Being where I am (southern NH) I can't really escape the sounds of humanity (cars, planes, lawnmowers), I sometimes can make them seem far away and eventually tune them out. When I'm out there, photographing what I see, I can get so involved that people just go right by me and I don't even see them. Most of them are chattering away and not appreciating much of what they're out there for. ah well...at least I do.
                          5' 9" 47 YO F
                          PB start June 2, 2012
                          Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)
                          Current deadlift 245 lbs, squat 165 lbs, bench press 135 lbs

PB Journal

Comment

• Oh then you must have noticed how you can go out there and see all kinds of things while the people around you are totally oblivious to everything around them. That's another thing that drives me nuts. Most people would see absolutely nothing if someone didn't show it to them. Being able to find nature and beauty without having to go to an obvious Sierra Club Calendar picture kind of place is a real gift that 99% of people out there do not have.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                              One thing I learned by hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, and I think that Mark sort of barely skirts this in his recent discussions about the healing power of nature--barely touches it because even he has never lived it--is that there's this profound disconnect people have about nature. I lived out there and felt completely at home. I was not always comfortable (rain, mosquitoes, hardships of one kind or another) and yet I was completely at home, safe, content and happy. I got to a point where I could peer out at this world of cars and noise with confusion and wonder (how on earth do people live like that, I'd wonder) and then melt back into the forest again where I belonged. I felt like a wood nymph.

The truly dangerous place is civilization. In civilization there are cars to run you over, rapists to hurt you, poisons and toxins everywhere, an imperative to consume and pollute and destroy and waste your life in pursuits that enrich others at your own expense. And we see that as the normal, healthy, safe, secure place. Nature is what gives us all life and without it we die. But we civilized people see it as the dangerous place we must destroy so that we'll be safe. We're killing ourselves with this disconnect. It's absurd.
                              Love this, and I identify with it.
                              F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Comment

• I really want to hike the PCT someday. And the Inca Trail in Peru. Those are next on the bucket list now that Kilimangaro has been crossed off.

I know there is a lot of stuff out there about the PCT on the net but do you have any sites in particular you could steer me towards that you know are good? Did you keep a journal of your hike?

Comment

Working...
                                X