No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (sbhikes)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How neat! Are those maple-leaf inspired?

Comment

• No. They are inspired by these

From here
      ShoemakerSharon's Photos : Arts and Crafts

I love her shoes and wanted to learn how to make them. This is my 2nd pair. I also made sandals like hers, two pairs. Overall I have made about 30 pairs of shoes including barefoot running huaraches. A lot of my shoes were horrid mistakes, but it was fun to learn.
      Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• Those are the coolest shoes I have ever seen.
        If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• Hey! I've seen many of your posts on the forum - you mention you've had success going VLC? I really struggle to lose weight - like, 4 months in and basically no loss, and no change in size. I'm giving VLC a go, but was wondering how low you dropped yours to see results? Was it atkin's definition of VLC (induction levels - 20g), or the primal version (<50g)?

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
            Last night I scrubbed my skin with epsom salts. Wow that left my skin feeling really nice. We have really hard water and I have really dry skin and this left my skin feeling soft and moist.
            Interesting. Why/how did you think of doing that?

Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
            I make shoes as a hobby.
            Originally posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
            Those are the coolest shoes I have ever seen.
            What he said
            "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
            "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
            "Moderation sucks." Suse
            "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
            "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Originally posted by lucy1984 View Post
              Hey! I've seen many of your posts on the forum - you mention you've had success going VLC? I really struggle to lose weight - like, 4 months in and basically no loss, and no change in size. I'm giving VLC a go, but was wondering how low you dropped yours to see results? Was it atkin's definition of VLC (induction levels - 20g), or the primal version (<50g)?
              I don't know if that is you in your avatar but I doubt any kind of carb ratio would cause someone that skinny to lose any weight. I aimed for the 20g range but didn't actually count. I made sure to have no fruit and the only veggies I would eat were leafy greens, mushrooms and onions. Only a little bit of sweet potato once in a while. And sometimes if my boyfriend cooked, lentils and rice. I basically lost all the weight I gained from the insulin resistance caused by my long distance hiking. I only got down to my default normal weight which is not skinny at all.

Originally posted by winencandy View Post
              Interesting. Why/how did you think of doing that?

What he said
              Once a long time ago I got a massage for my birthday and part of the massage the lady did a lavendar scrub on my body. It felt great. I've heard of people using sugar or salt to scrub the skin. My skin seemed to have a lot of these white things I could pick off so I thought maybe a good scrubbing would help. I was going to use regular salt and then my boyfriend said he had a whole bunch of epsom salt so I used that. It took a cup of salt. I used giant handfuls because it would dissolve quickly. Really left my skin nice.

Thanks for liking my shoes. They are so comfy. I can't stand normal shoes anymore. My feet are too wide for normal shoes and the minimalist running thing is okay, but even most of the minimalist running shoes are too narrow. And honestly, I don't really want a super thin sole. Just a wide, flat shoe. I started with making huaraches and then thought hey, maybe I could make real shoes. The first pairs I just sewed an upper out of fabric and glued it around a flip-flop sole with hot glue. It actually worked pretty well. I was so amazed at making a 3-dimensional object like that I had to keep experimenting.

Comment

• Originally posted by lucy1984 View Post
                Hey! I've seen many of your posts on the forum - you mention you've had success going VLC? I really struggle to lose weight - like, 4 months in and basically no loss, and no change in size. I'm giving VLC a go, but was wondering how low you dropped yours to see results? Was it atkin's definition of VLC (induction levels - 20g), or the primal version (<50g)?
                I agree with sbhikes, if that's you in the avatar, you don't need to go low carb. What women look like in magazines is not reality, they are not attractive, they are sickly.
                If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Comment

• Here are some sandals I made:

Based on the same lady's sandals:

Shoes on Feet - ShoemakerSharon's Photos

I just love her shoes. I wish I was as good at it as her. Maybe I should send pictures of my shoes and tell her what an inspiration she has been. I've thought about it but I'm embarrassed. I know I shouldn't be.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                    I don't know if that is you in your avatar but I doubt any kind of carb ratio would cause someone that skinny to lose any weight. I aimed for the 20g range but didn't actually count. I made sure to have no fruit and the only veggies I would eat were leafy greens, mushrooms and onions. Only a little bit of sweet potato once in a while. And sometimes if my boyfriend cooked, lentils and rice. I basically lost all the weight I gained from the insulin resistance caused by my long distance hiking. I only got down to my default normal weight which is not skinny at all.

Thanks for the feedback. That photo was taken last year - I've gained a bit since then. But I am actually a pear shape, and about 2-3 sizes bigger on my bottom half than below. I gained about 10kg last year - I think over-training with running (half marathons etc, runnign EVERY day) may have screwed me up. Anyway thanks again for the feedback, I really only want to lose about 3-5kg to get back to what I was when all my pants fit..even then I was scrawny up top, but well padded below...I've been VLC and no dairy for about 3 days now, so hopefully some weight will shift.

Comment

• Hopefully it will shift for you. I wish more weight would shift for me. It won't budge anymore. I guess this is my natural weight. Even my strength classes aren't really changing anything other than my strength. The shape of me, the definition and flabbiness doesn't change even as I feel stronger here and there.

Comment

• I just got back from dropping my boyfriend off on the Pacific Crest Trail in the desert near Palm Springs. He's going to hike for about 2 weeks, maybe go about 250 miles. I hope he completes every last mile and goes even further. His last try he accidentally fell off a mountain and cut his trip short. I hope he succeeds this time.

While he is gone, there will be beef. Lots of beef.

Comment

• I buy eggs from a local egg farmer. There was one super enormous egg in the package. I cracked it open and it had two yolks! Lucky me! Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.

Beef and eggs (2 eggs, 3 yolks) for breakfast today. I'm burning up after a breakfast like that.

Comment

• Hey I radomly read some of your journal posts 'cause you're one of my "favorite people" on here (I hope that doesn't sound wrong or anything).

But how could your insulin sensivity suffer from hiking? I'm just interested but I guess my english isn't good enough for the article you posted in your first journal post
                            well then

Comment

• Originally posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
                              Appalachian Trail
                              I have day hiked the Appalachian Trail 4 times now with women who are experienced in backpacking it. I do not know about the backpacking part of it but it sure is beautiful for a day long hike. And, yes, some of the parts are difficult without a backpack - can't imagine. But the trail magic works wonders!

Pam
                              Female back to the basics: 11-12-16
                              CW: 10-11-16: 144
                              GW: 130 a dream, I know
                              Muscle soreness surrounding Neck, Thyroid and Rosacea issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gadsie View Post
                                Hey I radomly read some of your journal posts 'cause you're one of my "favorite people" on here (I hope that doesn't sound wrong or anything).

But how could your insulin sensivity suffer from hiking? I'm just interested but I guess my english isn't good enough for the article you posted in your first journal post
                                I think the reason it was destroyed was because I am probably prone to such things and then I went out there and ate only cookies, candy, crackers and very little meat or fat and very little that was actually real food. I ate all the time. Anytime the trail didn't go up hill I was eating. I hiked 3000 miles (overlapped several hundred miles of the trail), 25-30 miles a day most of the time. 12-14 hours of hiking every day. There is not a single study out there anywhere about what that level of exercise does to a person. There are a few studies about ultramarathoners, but those studies are done during their races and don't really measure the long-term effects. I walked a marathon or more every day 5 days a week or more with 1 or two days off in between to "rest". Those days off were spent walking all over little towns getting laundry and shopping and mailing done. There never was any real rest.

Lots of long distance hikers become fat. Lion King has hiked all the long distance trails and he's really fat when he's not hiking. One guy even wrote an article about why he thinks this happens. Why Hikers Get Fat When I read that, I was like oh, so that's what happened to me. I finally had an answer.

In my opinion, the calorie-deprived hiker becomes more carbohydrate-sensitive and insulin-sensitive over months of continuous exercise. The hiker's metabolism reverts to ancestral traits.

Carb sensitivity emerges during a thru-hike because the body can only store limited amounts of sugar, to be used for sprinting or a "hard push." In quickly depleting those reserves each day, and in restoring them with sugary snacks, the body develops a hair-trigger response to the stimulus of food.
                                He recommended the Zone diet but mentioned Paleolithic several times. I looked up Paleo and tried it and it worked!

Comment

Working...
                                X