No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (sbhikes)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I like how simple my grocery list has become. If I had to shop for everything I eat (excluding what my pet birds eat), this is what it would be:
    Meat (whatever looks good, chicken, fish, pork, beef)
    Eggs
    Veggies (whatever looks good)
    Onions (don't forget the onions!)
    Sweet potatoes
    Dark chocolate
    Coffee
    Butter

That's it. That's all I need. Anything else is a treat. Today's treat was a sweet young coconut.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• wow, your list and mine are remarkably similar.
      except that i also have this special section in the cart filled up with husband food. which is like 20 lbs of whey protein.

i see you're in santa barbara-- we're dying to move there! love it!-- there's a killer thai place in town there but i can't remember the name. some of the best tom yum we've ever had, and we've had a lot of tom yum.
      Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
      Friend me on "The Facebook"
      Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Comment

• You should definitely move out here. My boyfriend grew up in Long Island, then lived in Buffalo for 15 long cold years. During the Blizzard of '77 he couldn't get out of his house. It was illegal to drive. He realized this wasn't living so he moved to Santa Barbara and has been here ever since. We live in a dump that is worth close to a million bucks but if you compare it to the average house in Atlanta, GA is a total slum but we don't care. It's nice here. I was born here so I don't know any better. I suppose the only negative thing I've heard, other than the low wages and incredible cost of living, is that people here are not friendly. I think that's because most people don't live here very long so it's better to just let people come and go in your life than get attached to them. Some day I might like to live in Northern California, though.

So I have this book called Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Volek and Phinney. It's full of studies and information about the effects of low carb diets on people with insulin resistance and diabetes and also on healthy people, but it's mostly aimed at doctors treating sick people so focuses a lot on people with metabolic syndrome. Anyway, there's a section in there where they said studies have shown that for overweight people, exercise actually slows the metabolism instead of raises it. Fat people lose a lot less weight from exercise than normal weight people.

I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail, which is 2600 miles long, and people would always say stuff to me about how that experience must have really raised my metabolism. But while I was doing it, I honestly felt like the opposite was true, that it actually slowed my metabolism way down. People thought that made no sense, but I knew. I got to where I could no longer eat as much as I wanted. Hiking 14 hours a day did not cause any weight loss and I had to actually watch my consumption of calories and eat less than I actually wanted to eat to avoid getting fat. I started the hike overweight and ended close to my current weight now, so I did lose, but not very much, and I didn't really get any thinner than I am right now. My PCT hiking clothes fit me about the same now as they did on the trail. But people who started the trail already at a normal weight became pretty emaciated, especially men.

I exercise now because it feels good. I like seeing and feeling the increase (however minimal) in my muscles. I can almost flex a two-pack in my abs now. Running makes me feel happy. I went running yesterday and had that floating along euphoric feeling. I felt great afterward. Being out in the sun and fresh air makes me happy.

I feel like I do everything opposite what modern culture says to do. It is hard not to worry that I'm going to have a hard awakening in the future. I do all these things:
        - avoid sun screen and get plenty of So Cal sun on my fair skin
        - eat lots of animal fat, especially beef and pork fat
        - get only moderate exercise, not tons of it
        - avoid taking any prescription drugs
        - avoid the doctor
        - take iodine in large doses (25mg)
        - avoid grains
        - avoid fruit (not that I ever ate a lot of it anyway)
        - put LOTS of salt on my food
        - eat a fairly low carb diet (it's even controversial around here of all places)

Comment

• Photoshop can be helpful.

I have a picture of myself (the right side in my current avatar) from March 25. I took another picture of myself yesterday wearing the same clothes. I couldn't see any difference. I wasn't standing quite exactly the same so it was hard to compare. So what I did was layer the two photos in photoshop and make one of them 50% opacity. I resized one so that my foot was exactly the same and my shoulders were the same height. Turns out that I have lost some bulk in my thighs. If this method can be believed. I might try to take another picture and see if I can stand exactly the same. I probably should take measurements instead.

Sometimes I feel a need to verify that things are improving, just to keep my resolve, just to salve my frustration. The weight loss is very very slow these days and it's all confused by the fitness class. That class builds muscle so I can't trust the scale. And that class makes me sore, which can make me inflamed and puffy for a little while. Clothes shopping isn't a very good tool since they regularly bump up the sizes and change all the patterns. On Saturday I went shopping for pants and size 6 was way way too big, especially around the waist. But even if they had had any size 4, I'm sure they would have been too small in the thigh.

I need all the reassurance that things are progressing that I can get at this point.

Comment

• I feel great today. Maybe it was my high carb dinner last night:

Pork sirloin (very low fat)
            1/4 sweet potato (no butter)
            steamed veggies (no butter)
            1 grapefruit

I felt hungry an hour later. I hate how they remove all the fat from the meat at the grocery store. But I feel great today. Perhaps it is the meal, perhaps it is the gorgeous warm sunny day, perhaps it is because I feel fat today which means maybe I gained weight and maybe gaining weight makes you feel good while losing weight doesn't.

Comment

• I decided to do something crazy. I ordered some dessicated thyroid capsules. I'm going to take them and see if I respond. If I do, perhaps I have low thyroid. If I don't respond or don't respond well, maybe I don't. I figure it's just dried thyroid. You could eat that if they sold it in stores, and certain tribes would eat moose thyroid during certain parts of the year. So it's really just food and not much of a dose of it at that. I had to order it online so it'll take a few days to arrive and then take probably a month to see if it does anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by sbhikes View Post
                I decided to do something crazy. I ordered some dessicated thyroid capsules. I'm going to take them and see if I respond. If I do, perhaps I have low thyroid. If I don't respond or don't respond well, maybe I don't. I figure it's just dried thyroid. You could eat that if they sold it in stores, and certain tribes would eat moose thyroid during certain parts of the year. So it's really just food and not much of a dose of it at that. I had to order it online so it'll take a few days to arrive and then take probably a month to see if it does anything.
                Why do you suspect a thyroid problem and have you had tests done because of your suspicions?

Comment

• Doctors have always suspected I have a thyroid problem. But their tests always come out low-normal so they don't treat me. They did treat me once when I was 16 but then I never refilled the prescription. I'm just going to see what happens, if anything, with a low-dose natural product. The only real symptoms I have are very dry skin and hair and cold extremities/always feeling cold. Plus come on, this is as thin as I can get on a diet of vegetables and meats with daily exercise? I know what normal weight looks like and my naked body's not anywhere near that.

On a different topic, I have a sneaking suspicion that maybe my boyfriend is starting to turn slightly paleo. Here's why:

- In the past when I've cooked chicken, he's told me he doesn't want so much meat and taken just the wing. So the other day I bought pork and fresh chicken wings and offered to cook him a wing and me the pork. He decided he'd rather have the pork and then after the meal he praised how delicious it was.

- In the past his breakfast has always been bagels and almond butter or cinnamon swirl bread and almond butter. Recently he's been buying this super dense dark European grain and nut bread where the slices are about 1/4 inch thick and the bread is almost mostly nuts or seeds.

Could it be true? Is he trying for a more natural diet, or working his way to paleo?

Comment

I feel great today. Maybe it was my high carb dinner last night:

Pork sirloin (very low fat)
                    1/4 sweet potato (no butter)
                    steamed veggies (no butter)
                    1 grapefruit
                    Why no butter? Maybe you're not a butter person, I haven't read your whole journal... but maybe you wouldn't have been hungry later with butter?

Thanks for the note on the Volek and Phinney book, had looked at that on Amazon and forgotten about it since. Sounds worthwhile...

Comment

• No butter because there was a bunch of pork juice in the pan so I poured that all over everything thinking that would be more tasty.

Yesterday I had a big pat of butter with breakfast and felt way less hungry. It seems to go in a phase. I'll want more fat, then less. I'll want more meat, then less. I'll want more potatoes, then less. I'll want more total food, then less.

Comment

• I forgot to mention that fasting through dinner went just fine yesterday. I guess it worked out to about 15 hours, which isn't a long fast, but isn't bad. I slept really well, too.

Comment

• I got new glasses yesterday. They are just reading glasses with a little bit of astigmatism help. They are weaker than the drugstore ones I bought. My drugstore ones made it really hard to work at my computer. These new ones are better, but they aren't strong enough to do needlework and it seems like I have to hold things pretty far away to read well. But they work great for newspapers and I was able to shop in the grocery store and see what was on the shelves.

Comment

• My iodorol and my porcine thyroid supplements came today. I'm going to take these and see what happens, if anything. I've heard the OTC thyroid has active hormones removed. I'm going to stop Vitamin D for a while, too. The sun is so bright now I have to wear sunglasses again. I go out in the sun every day at noon or so.

I feel really fat. My pants are tight today and I just feel fat. This bums me out because I have been good on this diet. I've been drinking less wine, too. My body is trying to go back. I don't want to go back. I want to stay thin.

Comment

My iodorol and my porcine thyroid supplements came today. I'm going to take these and see what happens, if anything. I've heard the OTC thyroid has active hormones removed. I'm going to stop Vitamin D for a while, too. The sun is so bright now I have to wear sunglasses again. I go out in the sun every day at noon or so.

I feel really fat. My pants are tight today and I just feel fat. This bums me out because I have been good on this diet. I've been drinking less wine, too. My body is trying to go back. I don't want to go back. I want to stay thin.
                              My suggestion-- if you are going to start supplements to help thyroid function, do it one at a time. That way you can determine if each one is helping or hindering your thyroid function. If you start both at the same time and have side effects you wont know which one is at fault.

If I were to pick which one to go with first, absent test results to guide, I would probably choose the iodoral. And, even with that,I'd start very low and increase slowly.

I also understand the "feeling fat" issue.. You are 47 and most likely perimenopausal. This can be at play in regards to everything you are experiencing and feeling.

I suggest extensive thyroid, female hormone, vitamin D, iron, blood sugar, inflammation, testing. If everything is "optimal" then you at least have numbers to "shoot for" if/when things deteriorate.

Comment

• Earlier this month I was 'feeling fat'. Got my period unexpectedly the next day, and after further thought, I realized that maybe I was noticing bloating for the first time. I have always been so fat that fluctuations aren't that noticable. I decided to take it as proof that I am getting thin enough that a monthly bloat will show up, and not just be lost in the general vastness of my form: a good thing, not a bad one. Maybe it is the same for you?

Comment

Working...
                                X