No announcement yet.

Primal Journal (sbhikes)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you. I don't calorie count at all. I did a couple of days just out of curiosity. When I was 16 I knew the calories in everything and I obsessively went over my calorie count all day long. Nearly drove myself insane. Tried to stay under 500 calories for the day. So no, I don't calorie count at all. But I am very strict about adhering to the plan. No "cheat days", no 20%. To me "20%" is that stuff you can't control, not that stuff you can get away with, birthday desserts excepted, of course.

I hope my weight and appearance improves more. But if it doesn't I can't see any reason not to just keep eating this way. I feel good. I'm really happy. It feels so easy to just eat as much as I want. The key to this way of eating is it changes you so that what you want is what you need.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Comment

• I am peeing a lot less since not drinking that decaf coffee I bought. It's not back to normal just yet, but almost. I guess I will have to toss it out.

Comment

• I bought a grass-fed beef heart. I looked online at how to cut it up. You are supposed to remove the fat and the tissue that doesn't look edible, which is not very easy to do, but I managed. Then I cut up the heart into strips and chunks. It has a definite smell like you are cutting up a living thing. I put all the chunks in the slow cooker, added some red Hawaiian salt, some chopped onions and lacking a better way to do it, I ran some peppercorns through my coffee grinder and added that. Added a half cup of water. Smells pretty good even before cooking. I am hoping it will come out delicious. I will eat it for breakfast this week, hopefully. A beef heart is pretty big and for me it was not cheap. It cost almost $16.

Comment

• And my beef heart cost less than $2 ... Anyway! Yeah, I didn't know how the hell to cut that crusty, hard lard off some of the parts so I didn't use them. Glad to read about another person trying it. It does have a different smell. I almost wasn't sure if I should eat it. I put mine in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes and they were done. Definitely a more tough meat, but hey, if I can enjoy jerky I can enjoy beef heart.
          Starting weight: 225
          Current weight: 195
          Goal: One pull-up by December 31, 2012
          Method: Schwarzbein Principle II, program for insulin sensitive/burned-out adrenals
          My Primal Journey

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Comment

• I look forward to hearing how your heart turns out. I bought a frozen giant bison heart this week for $20, much to the dismay of hubby, who is incredibly squeamish about meats that don't come on styrofoam trays covered in plastic and don't look anything like what they came from. I ate chicken hearts as a kid, but have never yet ventured into the big ones.
            My musings

The old stuff

Comment

• I can definitely see the 30lb loss!!

Congrats!
              "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
              "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
              "Moderation sucks." Suse
              "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
              "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Comment

• Wow! Amazing transformation! Congrats on your before and after photos.

See it does come off, just very slowly and steadily! (Which is the best way!)
                SW: 68 kg. * CW: 61.5 kg. * GW: 60 kg or less...
                “Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.” ~ Buddha

Comment

• The beef heart came out surprisingly good. I probably actually "ruined" it but it's still good. I put way too much peppercorn in there. I zapped it in the slow-cooker on high. I probably should have cooked it on low. But the juice it made! Oh man, it's so flavorful and rich like a stew. I just sat there with a spoon eating the juice. I ate a little cooked heart with 2 eggs for breakfast. It's not really tougher than regular steak although it seems like it is. I think it is just less fibrous which makes the toughness seem more pronounced. But the flavor is great. I will definitely get this again but try cutting thin slices and just cooking fast in a pan.

I have to eat my weird stuff for breakfast because my man is CW and likes chicken, fish and lots of processed Trader Joe's stuff. Works though because a high protein breakfast seems to be a big part of this for me.

And thanks to you who noticed my weight loss. I was feeling kind of fat yesterday. Then I went to put on a pair of pants today and it's like I have to cinch a belt or else they'll just fall off. And a favorite T-shirt now looks like I'm a little child inside of it. My actual weight was up to 135 this morning. I don't worry too much about the exact weight since it fluctuates around a lot. Slow and steady, but when I look in the mirror at my naked self it's the same fat lady staring back. I guess that doesn't ever go away.

Comment

• Oh, I was so bad today. I ate ice cream with hot fudge. Ice cream is both better and worse than I remember. Drank some beer, too. I'm skipping dinner. Not skipping the wine because I'm a lush.

I felt really weird after eating the ice cream. I hope that it'll act like the post-workout carbs, bump up my insulin and leptin and act as a carb refeed.

Comment

• Total bone marrow fail. I attempted to follow Mark's recipe for bone marrow. I don't think my oven can cook anything in 15 minutes. It looked done but wasn't. So I nuked it. But the bone marrow isn't something you can scoop out of the bones at all. It's hard as a rock. I was so disappointed. So I tossed all the bones into the crock pot for yet more soup. I have so much bone broth now it's not even funny.

Comment

• I had breakfast with our weekly breakfast group at work. A fairly high carb breakfast because it was an egg and hashbrown casserole and fruit salad. I felt a huge sugar high from the fruit salad even though the woman who made it said there was no sugar added to it. Just cinnamon. It was delicious. I'm just not used to such sweetness I guess.

Today the beef heart will be gone. Weird thing about the heart was it turned redder and redder the longer it was in the fridge. Very strange.

My boyfriend thinks I'm looking healthy and good these days. I would like to lose more weight if I can. If not, I think I look decent. I'm not ashamed anymore and sometimes I even think I look pretty good.

I told him that I can see no reason to stop doing this diet as I have been doing it. I feel good, I'm not "dieting", the healthiness, both physical and mental, is so good I am not going to change anything. I keep trying to mention how good I feel as often as I can so that maybe he will give up the pasta, bagels and tortillas. He probably won't but that's okay. He tolerates my diet and I tolerate his.

Comment

• Greetings! A random wander through the forums landed me on your post about changing your bird's diet back to real seed, and I just have to comment. As a parrot fan, you may not be that interested in feline anecdotes :-) but I felt a kindred spirit in pet care, and I wanted to note SOMEWHERE on the MDA site that a change in diet has also benefited our 16 year old cat! About six months ago we stopped feeding her the standard kibble faux food recommended by so many CW veterinarian authorities (translation = Purina Corp.), and put her on a real meat diet. In just a matter of weeks she went from being a sluggish, overweight, don't-bother-me-I'm-sleeping lump of fur to a frisky, let's-play, sylph. She's even gone back to jumping up on our backyard shed roof, something we haven't seen her do in at least three years!

I've also very much enjoyed reading the rest of your journal, and note we have some things in common: balky partners on the Primal Path (love 'em dearly, but man are they stubborn!), UC employment (although I'm now happily retired), and a thrift store wardrobe :-) Do you have a Thrift Town in the SB area? If so, I may have to insist on a field trip on the way home from PrimalCon!
                          My Journal 60 Is the New 40 (more musings, less stats) --
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46274.html

Comment

• Oh, plus my brother lived in Ojai for many years, so I too have spent a lot of happy times scrambling around the back country of your part of the world. No John Muir Trail yet, though!
                            My Journal 60 Is the New 40 (more musings, less stats) --
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46274.html

Comment

• We don't have a Thrift Town. I like to shop either Goodwill, which has a few prizes among the crap, or Alpha Thrift which is expensive as hell but the stuff is really good.

I stopped taking my iodine a couple days ago. I was frightened reading stuff about how it might harm your thyroid. I don't know what to believe. I was riding my scooter home and it felt like my jacket was pressing on my thyroid and I thought oh no, maybe it's swelling up and dying. So I stopped. But last night I thought maybe I'll take just one so I took one last night and woke up in the middle of the night all burning up and hot again. I decided to take one this afternoon and I was burning up hot an hour later. And then instead of sitting around doing nothing I got up and cleaned the bathroom. Now it's sparkly. The iodine definitely does something. I can't decide if it helps or hurts and reading around the web doesn't seem to help. I should see a naturopath or something.

I played a gig with the jam I'm a part of. I'm not in a band, I'm in a jam. I play the fiddle but I'm terrible at it. They don't care. They like having young-ish people interested in learning the old music. We played one gig where there was food and wine. We played really fast and it was a lot of fun. Then we went over to another gig and there was more food and wine. We rescued the 4 who were already there playing when we arrived. They didn't have the energy our group had so we brought it to them and they were so happy and the crowd loved us. It's always fun when people dance to our music. They let us eat the tri-tip dinner and drink lots of wine. It was great. Lots of fun. Maybe I'll get paid. I got to drive my pick-up truck, too. I hardly ever drive it.

The iodine gave me a lot of energy at the gigs. That was my point telling the story.

My weight loss seems to have gotten stuck so starting Monday I'm going to attempt the fast 5 but my eating window will be 2-7 or something like that.

Comment

• I am hung over today. Bummer. And I wasn't even drunk yesterday. And the time change kinda sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X